Code of Conduct

Default Creating a perfume is way more difficult than it might seems... advice needed!

Good afternoon,

I want your advice if someone could be so kind to help me... I been trying to make my own perfumes only as a hobby of course, for the last couple of years; read many books, articles, making my own little perfume organ etc, so after many trial and error efforts I manage to find a few formulas that I like which smell pretty decent on paper, but with all my formulas happen the same: Once applied on skin de scent disappears almost instantly and only remains an oily smell like if I have rub cooking oil on the skin. My trials are made with everclear alcohol, glycerin and 20% of essential oils which some are natural, and some not. (The oils come from different suppliers)

I got very frustrated because never manage to do it right, maybe I need another secret ingredient I donīt know, or maybe is simply because I donīt know how to do it right. So if any one can give me a little advice would be awesome )

Kind regards,
    Ricardo Villagran

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Creating a perfume is way more difficult than it might seems... advice needed!

Ricardo, first off, discard all use of Glycerin.

Second you have to tell more about your formulas for anyone to offer their thoughts, which includes percentages used. And you have to tell where you obtained these items, and what they are.

Until anyone sees this information, I'm afraid we can't help you.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Default Re: Creating a perfume is way more difficult than it might seems... advice needed!

Making a good base accord to make a perfume last is just difficult, until you get the hang of it. I'd say even a lot of pros aren't so good at their base accords (take 5 random department store perfumes and smell them after two hours. It is rare to have a great experience with that). I got my start mostly making only base accords, and I'd recommend that approach for beginners, as then you have the hardest part out of the way. Today when I work on a perfume, I spend most of the time agonizing over the base notes that last hours. The rest is easy by comparison.

So in a few words, you just lack experience. Start playing with things that last forever.

The advice to ditch glycerine is good.

And yes, we need to know more to help like you deserve...

Thank you for your replies, I will ditch the glycerin and work on the bases first.

Regarding the formulas, well I bought most oils on ebay from sellers with good reputation who sell quality products some oils are natural and some not, and I have tried many dozens of different formulas, playing with the % of accords, mostly in the range of 25% head notes, 35% heart notes and 40% base notes, and working with one accord at a time. My worst experience has been working with natural tobacco, agar oil, and resins... when I mix more friendly elements like flowers usually the formula smell nice when place on a piece of paper and last a few hours, but the very moment it touches skin the perfume is gone and only remains a "petroleum" note. This happens will all my tests no matter the essence % or combination.

I will try with a very simple formula of one note for each accord, no glycerin and see what happens next.

Kind regards and thanks again for your time,

Ricardo

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Ricardo, when you post specific oils, their percentages used in a formula, and where you got them and what they are called, then we can help more.

PK
    Last edited by pkiler; 6th December 2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon