Code of Conduct

Default Help narrow down between four Creeds

Hey, everybody.

Fairly new to the forum and stepping up my collection, beginning with one from Creed. After skin testing MI, Aventus, and GIT, and hope to do so with Himalaya soon, I have narrowed my starter out to one of those, unless I get overwhelming persuasion to consider something that is similar.

I'm a very young looking 51 year old who wears khakis and button down with no tie or polo every day in my office environment, which is pretty professional. Commercial pilot training etc. I also almost ever dress much nicer than that, and just don't have frequent formal occasions to justify a dedicated formal scent per se.

One of the above, or another, if persuaded, will hopefully find its place in a 2-3 day/week rotation soon.

A couple specific questions from those of you who have a fairly positive experience with these:

1) Do you consider any of them too formal or inappropriate for the described circumstances?
    2) Have you liked any of them, but were disappointed that they lose sillage to you, even if you continue to receive compliments? I wear for myself as much as others, but don't want a projection beast.
    3) Similarities and differences between these as you see them from personal experience.

I'd rather not hear from the haters. There's plenty of threads for that.

Just prefer views on these specific ones from those who have an appreciation for them.

I appreciate the input. What a great group you have here on the forum.

Looking forward to taking my frags to the next level.

Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Help narrow down between four Creeds

In this scenario, I'd see myself being the most comfortable with MI.

53 year old checking in here and out of the four listed MI would be first choice for me in the office then GIT and third Aventus which provides a bit more punch for an everyday office environment. Himalaya is OK but I put Royal Oud and definitely SMW before it. Good Luck they are all wonderful scents in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    53 year old checking in here and out of the four listed MI would be first choice for me in the office then GIT and third Aventus which provides a bit more punch for an everyday office environment. Himalaya is OK but I put Royal Oud and definitely SMW before it. Good Luck they are all wonderful scents in their own right.
    For some reason I thought you are in your early 30s.

Aventus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    For some reason I thought you are in your early 30s.
    I wish I was and know what I know now.

I think some of the most popular office scents tend to have a couple of criteria:

1. They are NOT overly strong, and
    2. The overall scent is pretty much universally enjoyed and accepted by anyone with a nose.

This is why so many office colognes go down the straight and narrow road of smelling clean, fresh, etc., and don't vary too much. (BTW, the Chanels are good office scents.)

I would also throw in one other requirement for an office scent, and that would be to not go with a fragrance that is SO different that others will get tired of smelling it.

This is why I have never thought of Aventus as an office scent. It can be too powerful and I do think many people might come to resent HAVING to smell it several times a week. And I say "having to smell it" because that's exactly what you're doing when you wear a scent in close quarters. So you need to be considerate of others.

Thus, I wouldn't recommend Aventus for an office scent, but I think any of the other 3 would be fine. Even better, seek out 2.5 oz testers online of all three at a good price and REALLY have a fine rotation. MI and GIT do seem to have some longevity problems for some people, but not for others. If they do for you, simply spray a little on your shirt as well. I also think all 4 of the ones you are considering are different enough to warrant getting all of them, in time. But I'd save the Aventus for going out. And watch your trigger finger when applying, as less tends to be more with Aventus.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

You can't go wrong with any of them. I don't consider them inappropriate or too formal, I usually go with Original Santal in the day and Aventus during evenings. I'm always told I smell good, so you should be fine. GIT would be a good choice too but I'm personally neutral about it. I think you should try Jardin d' Almafi, I have worn it everyday for the past week.

1. No

2. No, although Himalaya is probably my least favorite/worn that I own

3. I don't really get any similarities between the four you chose. Maybe a little in the Aventus and GIT drydown. As far a differences, I'd break it down like this:

Imperial - Fresh, fruity, salty, aquatic
    Aventus - Smoky, fruity, dry, spicy
    GIT - Fresh, green, woody, floral
    Himalaya - Floral, citrus, fresh, aquatic

That being said, my ranking would be GIT, then Imperial, Aventus and Himalaya if I were in your shoes.
    My suggestion would be that you seek out samples of:

Spice & Wood
    Pure White
    Original Vetiver
    Royal Oud

Hope I could help.
    KCCO!

+1 on Pure White Cologne from Creed. It would be a great office scent. But it's expensive, so try to find a split.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Aventus is nice, but it can be a bit of a projection beast, especially early on, so you may want to avoid that.

MI is the only one of the 4 you listed that I don't care for (and one of the few Creeds in general that I don't like).

Himalaya is one of my favorites, but it is rather weak.

GIT is an excellent fragrance for any situation or age, so that is a great choice - and would probably be my pick for you of the 4. However, it isn't even in my top 5 Creed fragrances - but is a very good all around fragrance.

You can't go wrong with any of those. I would go with Aventus though.

MI gets my vote.

I would say either MI or GIT although I like all four options.
    (1149)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Why confine yourself to a full bottle of just one? I'd get bored to death if I had to wear just one frag, why not acquire decants of two or three of these (MI and GIT, add Aventus too if you really like it) and rotate them? Or better yet, track down some Windsor It bumped off all my other Creeds from the rotation.

MI, then Aventus

Another vote for GIT, this fragrance is truly popular without being generic and, in my opinion, for good reasons. Fresh, trendy yet also classic, appropriate for almost any outfit and in almost any (especially professional, formal, but also informal) environment.

I vote for M-I.

I own all of them and think they are all perfectly appropriate for the level of formality you described. Of those, Aventus might be the most formal of the bunch. However, I wouldn't have any problem wearing it with polos and khakis (although its performance can be too powerful for many office settings, so go easy on the number of sprays). My recommendation is to go with the Aventus because it does well in all seasons (GIT and MI are better for the warmer months, IMO), which means you might get more wear out of it at this time of year. Another suggestion is to look online (Fragrancenet, Beauty Encounter, etc) and see which fragrance is the best deal. They are all fantastic fragrances, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by vbrown View Post
    MI, Aventus, and GIT, and hope to do so with Himalaya soon,

1) Do you consider any of them too formal or inappropriate for the described circumstances?
    2) Have you liked any of them, but were disappointed that they lose sillage to you, even if you continue to receive compliments? I wear for myself as much as others, but don't want a projection beast.
    3) Similarities and differences between these as you see them from personal experience.
    I'd say Millesime Imperial and Green Irish Tweed are the best of the four. Aventus I find to be a bit too overwhelming at times, and Himalaya is probably the weakest of the bunch (but far from bad though).

1. none of them are inapprorpiate (just dont spray too much, especially of aventus)
    2. himalaya isn't strong enough
    3. himalaya is like a sporty version of GIT. i reach for GIT the most, but probably like MI more when i do wear it. Aventus has its moments.

Dependent

All 4 are great but GIT is a sure thing

Banned
    Blog Entries

MI- none of these are formal..
    they are all safe friendly scents..
    likable by most

millesime imperial the best

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Why confine yourself to a full bottle of just one? I'd get bored to death if I had to wear just one frag, why not acquire decants of two or three of these (MI and GIT, add Aventus too if you really like it) and rotate them? Or better yet, track down some Windsor It bumped off all my other Creeds from the rotation.
    I had a gift offer for this first one, but I love the idea.

Even though it was expected to be one of about three in regular rotation, and the most premium of them, yes, I'm afraid I would still get a little tired of even one of these.

I am very apprehensive for decants, since I think the practice can lend itself to fakes just as in full bottles.

I am appreciating all of the input but this one may be the best, since I've never owned any Creed yet.

Could someone either post or PM some reputable sources for decants?

I'm sure threads exist, but since I started the thread and really like the idea in this pursuit...

Personally, I would go for GIT as it is just so classy and versatile.

I do like MI, but am hesitant to buy a full bottle because I seem to get very little longevity from the samples I've tried. The same goes for Himalaya.

I love Aventus, but as someone in his 40's I feel that it better suits someone in their late 20's or early 30's, whereas GIT isn't trying as hard has a bit more style and smoothness to it.

Green Irish Tweed in a landslide.

Daily office wear...GIT special occasions would be aventus for me. Hot weather then MI. Spring weather Original Vetiver.

Could someone either post or PM some reputable sources for decants?
    I'd start here.

The whole "fake" issue is way overblown in my opinion. But for your peace of mind if you deal with established members on Crystal Flacon or Basenotes you won't have to worry about anything. If you decide to go with the decant idea, I'd suggest getting smallish ones first - say 10ML or so despite the temptation to "stock up". Creeds are not the cheapest frags around and I am sure that you have experienced cases where you either change your mind later down the road or simply find something you like more, even if you are smitten by a frag at first.

I'd also seriously recommend tracking down a sample of Windsor, to me it's the absolute best Creed. I've almost completely stopped wearing regular fragrances since getting into pure oud oils several years ago but Windsor is the only western frag that I still reach for with some regularity.

Good luck!

Green Irish Tweed is the most versatile and best smelling of these...in my opinion. Millesime Imperiale might be the least abrasive for close quarters though. Personally, I don't like Himalaya at all. Aventus smells good, but as others mentioned, it can be a little overpowering.

Basenotes Junkie

Aventus would be my choice. Don't really care for the other 3 mentioned.

I would say GIT first, I think it is a better office scent than the others. Then MI, Himalaya, and Aventus. Another one you should try is Silver Mountain Water.

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    I would say GIT first, I think it is a better office scent than the others. Then MI, Himalaya, and Aventus. Another one you should try is Silver Mountain Water.
    SMW does sound like it could be worn comfortably with frequency from everything I have read. Have to sample that. Thx

SMW does sound like it could be worn comfortably with frequency from everything I have read. Have to sample that. Thx
    Actually, that is my very favorite out of the line. The icy tea note takes you to another realm.

If you want Masculinity in a Bottle then Aventus is your Game...peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Junkie

Wink Re: Help narrow down between four Creeds

This thread would have definitely benefited from the poll option. I am guessing Aventus takes it home, but no way to tell without actually going through all the individual responses

UPDATE

skin tested GIT again today and sprayed a few cards.

Decided I like GIT most about 6-10 hrs after application. Even lightly applied, if I could figure out a way not to smell it for at least a couple hours, I'd be fine, but this top notes are almost too green for me. Wow!

Maybe even lighter application is the answer. Maybe someone can help me with this conundrum.

On cards are, in order of my preference at least today: Aventus tied with Original Vetiver, Imperial, and Royal Oud edging out Silver Mountain Water.

I wouldn't say I was blown away by OV but after taking a chance on Guerlain and it being too biting and mature, I was very pleasantly treated by OV. Pretty smooth and easy on the nose. I like what Creed has done with that.

I found Aventus to be a bit overly peppery, particularly earlier on. I don't buy top notes but its a bonus if they are at least tolerable. If it isn't a bottle buy yet, I can definitely see a place for this gem.

Leaving the remaining few for a fairly regular wear, MI seems like something I could smell often. Not too strong or unique...but jury is still out, as is the case with SMW.

Royal Oud is interesting, but honestly, a bit complex for me at this point, still.

Super nice male SA at Neiman who has seen me a couple times now gave me carded samples of Aventus and Royal Oud, the only ones he claimed they had.

I actually have samples of Aventus and MI inbound from Fragrancenet.

At this point, I am looking forward to full day skin tests of Aventus, MI, and maybe a lighter application of GIT, though I'll probably end up with decants of all of those three for variety rather than a full bottle for now.

I am realistic enough to think I may not love any of them, but want to know for sure what I'm really gonna like. It's just me, but I think I'm discovering that I may get bored easy.

I still want a reliable Swiss Army knife though, and I think one of these will come through. Thanks for all the input.

Have you considered Bois du Portugal or Tabarome millesime?

Heperd is a good source for splits (assuming you are in USA).

Good luck

Edit - how about Green Valley? Not tried it but it is supposed to be similar to GIT; don't know if the difference is in the top though (going by the name it probably isn't).

Quote Originally Posted by dnc View Post
    Have you considered Bois du Portugal or Tabarome millesime?

Heperd is a good source for splits (assuming you are in USA).

How about Green Valley? Not tried it but it is supposed to be similar to GIT;
    You know, noticing a lot written about BdP but hadn't even sniffed it yet. Don't know why not. Tabarome I sprayed on a card but seems like I thought it was a bit much going on maybe. Definitely haven't smelled Green Valley yet, so I will definitely visit those soon.

Thanks a ton for the splits referral too!

Always good to know where the legitimate sources are.

I am realistic enough to think I may not love any of them, but want to know for sure what I'm really gonna like. It's just me, but I think I'm discovering that I may get bored easy.

I still want a reliable Swiss Army knife though, and I think one of these will come through. Thanks for all the input.
    I am neither a Creed lover nor a Creed hater, so I hope you take my comment as a positive one.

If you don't love any of them, why not search out a fragrance that you do love, regardless of the house? And if you get bored easilly consider getting several to use in rotation that all suit your tastes? There are many wonderful scents for men our age.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I have been rotating Aventus, MI, GIT, and VMW layered under Aventus at work for the last month. All of these do well. GIT doesn't get me compliments for whatever reason, however I enjoy this. I wear one spray on each side on my neck. I have to wear a cotton beard cover at work. I get whiffs of these things all day. Love Creed

BTW for anyone that hasn't layered VMW and Aventus, I smell like a really sweet and smokey pineapple, Lime, and coconut. I get coconut from VMW, some don't. I would advise trying this

Quote Originally Posted by feardafoot View Post
    I have been rotating Aventus, MI, GIT, and VMW layered under Aventus at work for the last month. All of these do well.
    That's interesting. It's encouraging to hear that these work well in the workplace and I'd be willing to try layers that have been tested already. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I am neither a Creed lover nor a Creed hater, so I hope you take my comment as a positive one.

If you don't love any of them, why not search out a fragrance that you do love, regardless of the house? And if you get bored easilly consider getting several to use in rotation that all suit your tastes? There are many wonderful scents for men our age.
    Oh no offense taken. As part of my renovation of an old substandard collection, I am picking up Bleu de Chanel, Terre d'Hermes, and Gucci Pour Homme II to get me though the winter.

I just found that when I discovered Creed, I liked it so much that I wanted at least one of them in my collection, so this post was about narrowing that one down.

I'm discovering that I may never find anything that I like enough to buy more than a couple ounces of, just because I'm apparently so curious and experimental. All part of discovering who I really am, with regard to fragrances.

Thanks again to everyone for your genuine, considerate input.

I am thankful to have the forum as a reference point and sounding board.

As per my current thread, sample Amouage Epic. :-)
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

You probably want to transfer your official carded samples to an atomizer in order to get a proper test... you can either buy some online, or if you only need a few, just ask an SA at Nordstrom. They are usually just out in a bowl for the taking, but I still ask first to be polite.

- - - Updated - - -

edit: ^^^ not sure if you've done this already... just some advice in case you hadn't

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    You probably want to transfer your official carded samples to an atomizer in order to get a proper test... you can either buy some online, or if you only need a few, just ask an SA at Nordstrom.
    I didn't know that the difference between rubbing and spraying would make that much difference, but thanks. I never thought about it.

I didn't know that the difference between rubbing and spraying would make that much difference, but thanks. I never thought about it.
    Ha, I didn't know either until I joined this board, but I've seen it mentioned many times here. I don't remember the exact reasons why it's better, however I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in!

BdP is VERY nice but, too me, it seems like more of an evening, romantic scent. Still a must for your arsenal, but IMO, just pull the trigger on GIT.
    Hell, if you regret it, PM me and I'll buy it from you; assuming you get it from Amazon or Fragnet : )
    I suggest one strong spray to the diaphragm and maybe a half squirt to the back of the neck (if you want to leave a serious trail).
    I usually spray my forearms, chest & neck; but I personally love the scent. It's my #1 of all-time. Take my advice or leave it. I do feel like you might regret not buying it now, but you could always buy it later or, as you stated, just buy a split. But I assure you; you will run out of this decant first.
    On a side note, I feel like SMW is a bit potent for an office setting. Especially when you could easily sub in Imperial. But SMW is the only scent that I've actually been chased down for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KCCO!

I've owned the ones you listed. Here's some pro's and con's of those plus a few others.

Green Irish Tweed. Pros: Extremely versatile, extremely well liked, to the user it smells nothing like Cool Water. Cons: to anyone else it smells like Cool Water.
    Aventus. Pros: Very strong (potent), smells like smoke and pineapples. Cons: Too strong for a lot of settings (even with 1 spray), gets a ton of compliments which actually can be a bad thing if you working with a bunch of guys.
    MI. Pros: Great smelling summer fragrance. Cons: It's mainly a summer fragrance, can be mistaken for Sean John Unforgivable, doesn't last as long as most Creeds.
    Himalaya Pros: Great office fragrance. Cons: Paco Rabanne XS smells a lot like it and it's about $30 a bottle.
    Virgin Island WaterPros: A great vacation and fun fragrance, smells incredible. Cons: Is limited in appropriate situations it can be worn, doesn't last as long as most Creeds.
    Royal Oud Pros: Very luxurious smelling, versatile, perfect projection. Cons: It only comes in 2.5 oz bottle.
    Taberome Millesime. Pros: Nice smelling citrus, ginger, and tobacco fragrance, versatile. Cons: Some like it and some don't
    Original Vetiver. Pros: Versatile and great for office. Cons: Mature fragrance. Smells like Mugler's Cologne which is much cheaper.

Out of those I'd go with Royal Oud or GIT for your age and the situations your describing.

For work, MI or GIT. However, MI suffers from longevity issues on most people. GIT tends to be steadier in that regard but does have a striking similarity to Cool Water in the mids (opening in GIT is greener and more natural, dry-down has that signature ambergris). You WILL be asked if you're wearing Cool Water at some point (especially if its well known in your parts).

Basenotes Plus

Get both MI and GIT. Rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by thehighend View Post
    . GIT tends to be steadier in that regard but does have a striking similarity to Cool Water in the mids (opening in GIT is greener and more natural, dry-down has that signature ambergris). You WILL be asked if you're wearing Cool Water at some point (especially if its well known in your parts).
    Personally, I don't think I want to be associated with Cool Water, but that's just me.

It might not keep me from buying it, but would prefer I smell at least a little more unique, for the amount spent. Thanks!

Default Help narrow down between four Creeds

Wearing some Aventus today from a carded vial I scored at Neiman, and WOW! I can't see myself getting too tired of that. It takes a lot to make me melt, and that does a pretty good job of it.

Looking forward to proper skin tests of MI and a couple others; mainly Original Vetiver, Silver Mountain Water, and Royal Oud. Those are the ones that are rocking my olfactory boat.

I am quickly discovering, though, that I'm the type who's going to do better with smaller, affordable quantities of a few different ones because they all have their values.

Looking forward to using the matching deodorants that are available for some, too. Seems like for routine daily wear, deodorant and lighter application would be a great way to go.