Code of Conduct

Default YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme Initial Review

Hello, today I received my 5 ml spray sample of YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Here is my initial review on this fragrance. One big spray on my wrist, and waited 10 seconds before taking a sniff. Sniff and what I get... yes this resemblance somewhat a barbershop smell. What I get is a very synthetic sweet and powdery note. Weird, but it has that Le Male vibe, but not as good as Le Male. Smells also like a floral air freshener. In my opinion, I really do not like Rive Gauche. I can see myself getting a major headache wearing this fragrance around my neck; very synthetic. Here is my initial grade for YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme... 6/10 Not bottle worthy...I am so glad I did not blind buy this one...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme Initial Review

I'll take it

If I already didn't have one, I'd take it also!
    (1160)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It's a good one for sure and a staple for many. Sorry you disliked it but you can't love them all.

Rive Gauche is good. No more, no less.

I do like the lavendar and patchouli, but the anise bothers me. The fragrance sometimes borders the smell of cardboard. It's development is strange. It neither brightened nor darkens, but just stagnates.

Banned
    Blog Entries

that is a fair rating..
    it's an ok scent..
    I prefer Prada Amber

Uh-Oh Change1, hope you have that fireproof suit at the ready cuz this is blasphemy to many!lol Seriously though, I have a can of this stuff and quite like....but strangely enough I don't wear it much, and I'm not sure why?! Guess I've just got many more scents that I find much more intriguing.

I love it. Reminds me of what the guys from mad men smell like.

One of the few frags I've gotten complimented on by the ladies. Synthetic? Hell you could say that about most any frag. Frankly this is only for a true man. No fem characteristics whatsoever. Literally smells like you just strolled out of a barbershop... not a salon but a barbershop. Nice haircut and clean shaven and ready to take on the world. This sissified world needs more concoctions like this. If you don't like it you're probably beyond hope for rocking a true charismatic fougere. Only real men need apply and all hyperbole aside I'm happy to own a can.

Keep it and try it again in a couple years time. I bet you'll like it later

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Keep it and try it again in a couple years time. I bet you'll like it later
    It's already been established he's sending it to me, gtsb!

I just bought the intense version of this yesterday. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Basenotes Plus

I've tried the recent version a couple times and its been just ok. I like the patchouli in the dry down but it doesn't warrent a buy for me. Is the older can version much different/better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great fragrance

In my case, it took me quite a while to get used to this barbershop style. But once I became comfortable with and interested for it, Rive Gauche became a "staple fragrance" my personal collection would somehow feel incomplete without.

I would not put on one FULL spray of Rive Gauche, as it can be really over-powering. I only wear 1/4 to 1/2 spray on each side of my neck, and that lasts more than 12 hours on my skin. Spicy first hour and then it develops into a smooth floral and a little bit sweet middle stage and a little bit dirty and woodsy dry down. It's a masculine scent for real men.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Hello, today I received my 5 ml spray sample of YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Here is my initial review on this fragrance. One big spray on my wrist, and waited 10 seconds before taking a sniff. Sniff and what I get... yes this resemblance somewhat a barbershop smell. What I get is a very synthetic sweet and powdery note. Weird, but it has that Le Male vibe, but not as good as Le Male. Smells also like a floral air freshener. In my opinion, I really do not like Rive Gauche. I can see myself getting a major headache wearing this fragrance around my neck; very synthetic. Here is my initial grade for YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme... 6/10 Not bottle worthy...I am so glad I did not blind buy this one...
    Very strange, you sure you didn't get a sample of the female version?

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Very strange, you sure you didn't get a sample of the female version?
    Good point!! That's exactly right, I bet he received just the normal "Rive Gauche" ... OK everyone exhale

I also sampled it recently and loved it. Bought a can last week.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    ............but it has that Le Male vibe..........
    A good example of why I never rely on reviews. Some lavender and a lot of musk but other than that it's nothing like Le Male
    Last edited by pluran; 5th December 2013 at 10:51 PM.

I love Rive Gauche Homme, it's masculine and downright fab. Powdery? I cant stand Powdery and certainly can't smell it in RG. Different strokes and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Good point!! That's exactly right, I bet he received just the normal "Rive Gauche" ... OK everyone exhale
    One of the best feminines ever made, an aldehylic floral (green) as far away from Le Male as a hawk from the moon.

I personally don't get the Le male association but can certainly see how RG might give off a minty vanilla vibe through the combination of anise, lavender, rosemary and coumarin. Come to think of it, the commonalities are not as obscure as one may initially perceive considering they're both basically, herbal fougeres with a nice minty clean freshness. They also to a varied extent share that classic barbershop talc accord. RG on my skin distinguishes itself from Le male by being a lot less powdery sweet and minty and a lot more herbal, earthy and smokey. But I can certainly see how that balance may vary on another person's skin.