Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 68
  1. #31
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Just applied some of my Mare sample - astringent, green, herbal, woody so far.
    This pic, from the Slumberhouse Twitter feed, shows the cask remains of the 'Mare soaked Orris butter' after bottling the fragrance and seems appropriate to what I'm getting at the moment!


    BaSmH0BCcAAfYG3.jpg-large.jpg

    Edit - Some hours later & it's still here and quite delightful, the astringency didn't last long, the orris certainly has.
    Last edited by lpp; 13th December 2013 at 11:34 PM.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Purplebird: it depends on which fragrance. He uses both synthetics and naturals, but the naturals he uses are incredibly rare and obscenely expensive. Norne is the only one that is all absolutes, though. Zahd, for example, has a commissioned attar in it, and the formula could never be recreated.

    Zahd's not sweet to me at all though -- it's very tart upfront, but no sweetness at all. It's bitter cranberry concrete and champaca wax over pure mysore.

    Rare ingredients? No wonder the "limited editions" come and go from that house. Those will be out of my price range.

    I do think that many absolutes qualify as complete fragrances by themselves, but most of the time they have off-notes that ruin them for this purpose. I bet Slumberhouse uses fractional naturals. That helps make them smell better.

    It takes skill to blend natural ingredients in such a way that the general public will accept them, having developed a taste for sweetness. I tried to make all-natural perfume for years and never came up with anything that lasted long enough or smelled sweet enough to wear confidently in public.

    Maybe Slumberhouse will help change people's attitudes about what constitutes personal fragrance!

  3. #33
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Rare ingredients? No wonder the "limited editions" come and go from that house. Those will be out of my price range.

    I do think that many absolutes qualify as complete fragrances by themselves, but most of the time they have off-notes that ruin them for this purpose. I bet Slumberhouse uses fractional naturals. That helps make them smell better.

    It takes skill to blend natural ingredients in such a way that the general public will accept them, having developed a taste for sweetness. I tried to make all-natural perfume for years and never came up with anything that lasted long enough or smelled sweet enough to wear confidently in public.

    Maybe Slumberhouse will help change people's attitudes about what constitutes personal fragrance!
    Oudy notes, for example, are commonplace now, so attitudes change all the time - and having been brought up on mainly French classics it wasn't a huge leap to detect the quality in these.
    In fact, it was possibly quite helpful.
    Last edited by lpp; 14th December 2013 at 09:57 PM.

  4. #34
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,326

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Zahd is the one that most peeked my interest. I've heard it is a good saffron.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    SLUMBERHOUSE SAMPLE PASS

    I can do a Slumberhouse sample pass consisting of:

    Jeke - 1 ml
    Pear + Olive - 1 ml
    Ore - 2+ ml
    Sova - 2+ ml
    Vikt - 2+ ml

    Can't bring myself to part with my 1 ml Norne or Mare and Zahd samples yet!

    Purplebird7, you're first. Any other interest?

  6. #36

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    Congrats! I must've missed it somewhere though - which FBs did you get?
    It can be fun to sniff without notes - that's when a real diversity of impressions emerge! I personally don't get the mulled whatever with Mare - it's rather green and strange to me and I happily wear it out of the house anyway. Still waiting for a whiff of the final Zahd!
    The FBs are Jeke and Pear + Olive, one a gift. Trying again. I may have transposed the names. Mare is quite green, almost menthol at first. It has an undertone of what now smells like honey to me, which is what made me picture a hot, mulled drink. With Zahd I'm torn between thinking cotton candy and Caron's Bellodgia or Bal a Versailles. What starts out quite strongly candyish to my nose (I understand it's cranberry) settles into a sophisticated, classic near-oriental, though the cotton candy refuses to go entirely away. It's a strange scent. Both are. I plan to sniff them a few days. They're also both interesting and accomplished.
    --
    Found this description of Zahd by Josh. "Zahd incorporates notes of cranberry, champaca flower, benzoin, plum, pink lotus, fir, cocoa, tolu, gromwell, wine ether, mysore sandalwood, cherry, incense and oak to create a dark, velvety berry scent"

    The first thing that hits me are probably the cranberry, cherry and plum which together give a candyish note. This subsides, without every going away completely.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 15th December 2013 at 06:33 AM.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    As a huge fan of Slumberhouse, I'll be more than glad to send samples - however, I do not have any vials / decant supplies.

    If someone from either Canada or south of here can send me in vials, I'll be more than glad to supply the below - not sure how much is reqd on these sample passes (hopefully not more than 5ml??):

    Ore
    Norne
    Jeke
    Sova
    Pear & Olive
    Mare
    Kere
    Grev
    Flou
    Sana
    Baque
    Rume
    Vikt
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

  8. #38

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Zahd is the one that most peeked my interest. I've heard it is a good saffron.
    Zahd isn't saffron at all, so tread with caution! It's cranberry, champaca, mysore, and a commissioned attar that's got anise, pink lotus, and ouds in it. It also sold out within 24 hours (it's a limited run).

  9. #39

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Rare ingredients? No wonder the "limited editions" come and go from that house. Those will be out of my price range.
    Considering the cost of production, his stuff's very inexpensive -- especially if you compare it to other lines using similar materials. He doesn't use franctionations -- mainly absolutes, concretes and SCO2 extractions, all combined with weird synths.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Considering the cost of production, his stuff's very inexpensive -- especially if you compare it to other lines using similar materials. He doesn't use franctionations -- mainly absolutes, concretes and SCO2 extractions, all combined with weird synths.
    This! I find his prices to be surprisingly inexpensive for what you are getting.

  11. #41
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Totally - and beautifully presented.

  12. #42

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    As a huge fan of Slumberhouse, I'll be more than glad to send samples - however, I do not have any vials / decant supplies.

    If someone from either Canada or south of here can send me in vials, I'll be more than glad to supply the below - not sure how much is reqd on these sample passes (hopefully not more than 5ml??):
    Holy mackerel! You're on! Thank you so much. That is very generous of you.

    I will send you vials. PM me your address, and I will send the vials with a return address envelope in there. Do you need $ for postage?

    ScentFan: When I get these, I will include them in the total sample pass.



    Lots of emoticons today. Excited.




    I

  13. #43

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    He doesn't use franctionations -- mainly absolutes, concretes and SCO2 extractions, all combined with weird synths.
    Fascinating. Thanks for that interesting fact.
    I just got through talking with darkdreams about the IFRA regs and how we, as consumers can support these perfumers who insist on using natural ingredients (also combined with synthetics) to keep the artistry and quality alive in perfumery.

  14. #44

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Hi, Purplebird7. Not to worry, Badarun and I have already made arrangements. I'm sending him materials and will be arranging the sample pass. It will be my first, so I'm looking forward to it.


    Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Holy mackerel! You're on! Thank you so much. That is very generous of you.

    I will send you vials. PM me your address, and I will send the vials with a return address envelope in there. Do you need $ for postage?

    ScentFan: When I get these, I will include them in the total sample pass.



    Lots of emoticons today. Excited.




    I
    Last edited by ScentFan; 15th December 2013 at 04:01 PM.

  15. #45

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Purplebird7, apparently you want to make arrangements about what to do with my samples and Badaruns, so why don't I bow out and leave you to it.

  16. #46
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    O.K., confused here - so ScentFan is making a list of participants & has organised this with Badarun.
    Please bear in mind that the samples will not stretch to many participants.

  17. #47

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    O.K., confused here - so ScentFan is making a list of participants & has organised this with Badarun.
    Please bear in mind that the samples will not stretch to many participants.
    I'm confused, too. I decided to do a sample pass and intended to organize it myself. Badarun offered to add samples I don't have. Next thing I know, we are both supposed to send our samples to purplebird7 who will organize things. I never asked for or agreed to that, but perhaps I'm missing something.

  18. #48
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Suggest proceeding with your much awaited first sample pass (Congrats!) as originally arranged between yourself & Badarun in order to save further confusion.
    A list of the sending order, when decided, will keep everyone in the loop.

    If my country were not so averse to receiving dangerous foreign parcels it would be lovely to join this one but it's way too risky!
    It would be possible to join in with those bits that have reached this isolated isle if you'll have me as a 'partial' participant?

    Good luck & looking forward to reading everyone's impressions.

    p.s. - for the sake of accuracy, my bottles/samples are all 2013 versions unless otherwise stated.
    Last edited by lpp; 15th December 2013 at 11:30 PM.

  19. #49

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Sorry, I normally don't check threads where I've posted, unless I was waiting for someone's comments - so i didn't check this till now.

    my offer remains, I will be glad to supply the other samples of Slumberhouse not already listed by Scentfan - as i mentioned in pm's to a few - it will be great whoever sends the decant supplies - if u can name them & tape them to the vials (I am not into decanting, so I don't trust how well I can do it & I'm lazy too)...
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

  20. #50
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Thank you, badarun.

  21. #51

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Okay, then. I'd better start another thread after Badarun and I consult. Question: how many participants will a 1 ml sample support? I have larger samples, too, but this will tell me how to organize them.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Suggest proceeding with your much awaited first sample pass (Congrats!) as originally arranged between yourself & Badarun in order to save further confusion.
    A list of the sending order, when decided, will keep everyone in the loop.

    If my country were not so averse to receiving dangerous foreign parcels it would be lovely to join this one but it's way too risky!
    It would be possible to join in with those bits that have reached this isolated isle if you'll have me as a 'partial' participant?

    Good luck & looking forward to reading everyone's impressions.

    p.s. - for the sake of accuracy, my bottles/samples are all 2013 versions unless otherwise stated.

  22. #52
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    1 ml will probably not be sufficient, ScentFan.
    2 ml is probably fine for two people, given that I've bought & subsequently passed on 2ml samples. These are not linear and should not just be sniffed from a vial, but others may wish to comment.

  23. #53

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    I can give max 5 ml per sample, I don't want to go above that. More than the cost, it's just that many of the Slumberhouse's are not available anymore...

    Also, the Vikt I own currently is the older version. (I did order the new version, but have requested Josh @ SHouse to ship both Vikt & Zahd together, so in most probability, i don't think i'll get them before 3rd wk Jan next yr).
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

  24. #54
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    It's an extremely generous offer, badarun - this isn't a normal pass by any means - which is another reason that it needs very careful consideration.

  25. #55

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Okay, then. I'd better start another thread after Badarun and I consult. Question: how many participants will a 1 ml sample support? I have larger samples, too, but this will tell me how to organize them.
    As you probably know already, they are very concentrated and potent beasts - for most of the scents, 1-2 sprays are more than enough for a full wearing and will last you the entire day, so the samples may actually go a longer way than thought!

    badarun, that's a fantastically generous offer of samples. Will sit out because I've tried most if not all of them, but will be following the thread with interest.

  26. #56
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,319

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    1 spray off a sample is more than enough for one full wearing, personally.

  27. #57
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Will people new to the range need to do more than one wearing, though?

  28. #58

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    I think the best thing for me to do is let ScentFan and badarun organize this. Sorry for the confusion you two. I didn't mean to take over. Just got home from work and saw what a mess I made of things.
    Okeee. Please proceed in whatever way you see fit. I'm happy to be participating. My apologies for the mess.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 16th December 2013 at 09:36 PM.

  29. #59
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,319

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Will people new to the range need to do more than one wearing, though?
    If they don't bathe, it will last for a week... or so I'm told.

  30. #60
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,380

    Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

    I do own some, juanderer, but have no experience of the thoroughness of the explorations done by members in sample passes and would hate to see a precious resource wasted.
    Do you think that everyone will get to appreciate these after one wearing, or should one err on the side of caution?

    Edit - my recently purchased sample of Mare, for example, was not a 'must have' on first sniff but I'm thinking that it is now - after three testings.
    Last edited by lpp; 16th December 2013 at 09:16 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Jasmine Sniff-Fest, Part 2
    By ScentFan in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 12th January 2014, 02:41 PM
  2. A Caron Sniff-Fest
    By ScentFan in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 29th December 2013, 08:18 AM
  3. Six New Fragrances from Jovoy Paris
    By petruccijc in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 14th October 2011, 01:22 AM
  4. Perfume-Fest For A Rough Week
    By djuna in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 30th January 2007, 02:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000