Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Diptyque, Jovoy, Slumberhouse Sniff-Fest

The Slumberhouse sample pass thread is here
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...se-Sample-Pass

Basenotes Plus

Establishing some guidelines/norms would be sensible. Generally, I test-wear each sample once when taking part in passes. If need be, I might do a second wearing, but that has been rarely the case.

And I can relate to your Mare anecdote. The first time I tried Slumberhouse fragrances I was puzzled - Norne and Jeke to me smelled like syrupy barbecue sauce.

Jeke was love at first sniff for me, juanderer, as were Ore & Sova, but Mare took longer - although I'd rather not be without it now!

Basenotes Plus

Mare was one I liked from the get-go although I don't wear it too often. I save it for those "incandescent green" moods.

Ipp, I think that between us badarun and I can easily supply ample samples (hmm, that rhymes) on perfumes for which we both have FBs. Trickier is to supply a large amount when only one of us has an FB of a perfume that can no longer be bought. All depends on how many are in the pass. Obviously we'll do our best since our motivation is to share these glorious creations.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I do own some, juanderer, but have no experience of the thoroughness of the explorations done by members in sample passes and would hate to see a precious resource wasted.
    Do you think that everyone will get to appreciate these after one wearing, or should one err on the side of caution?

Edit - my recently purchased sample of Mare, for example, was not a 'must have' on first sniff but I'm thinking that it is now - after three testings.
    Apology accepted purplebird7. All is well. Hard as I try not to, I find I also goof -- at least weekly, often daily.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I think the best thing for me to do is let ScentFan and badarun organize this. Sorry for the confusion you two. I didn't mean to take over. Just got home from work and saw what a mess I made of things.
    Okeee. Please proceed in whatever way you see fit. I'm happy to be participating. My apologies for the mess.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 17th December 2013 at 12:14 AM.

Hehe juanderer - great description!

Scentfan - it's a valuable opportunity and congrats & thanks to you & badarun for providing it!

It would be sensible, as juanderer has mentioned above somewhere, for everyone to approach the sampling in a similar way and, given the limited nature of the creations, maybe just restrict to wrist-sampling unless numbers are pretty tight?
    As we are all aware, these items are not being churned out by the ton by an un-named manufacturer on someone else's behalf - they are the work of one person and one of the results of this pass should be a record for future reference.

Some of these have been developed over time so that is another point on which all should be clear - for example, my Jeke (and that currently available) is unlike the earlier one.

Any suggestions, please?

And we all make a mess (especially me) at times but as long as we can sort it out together it's just a part of life's rich & varied pattern!

It may also be sensible to continue this Slumberhouse discussion in the sample pass thread please so that people who don't read this thread are kept in the picture.

Last edited by lpp; 17th December 2013 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks, Ipp. Good ideas. Let's discuss more as we get closer to the first mailing (me to Badarun). That should happen next week at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Hehe juanderer - great description!

Scentfan - it's a valuable opportunity and congrats & thanks to you & badarun for providing it!

It would be sensible, as juanderer has mentioned above somewhere, for everyone to approach the sampling in a similar way and, given the limited nature of the creations, maybe just restrict to wrist-sampling unless numbers are pretty tight?
    As we are all aware, these items are not being churned out by the ton by an un-named manufacturer on someone else's behalf - they are the work of one person and one of the results of this pass should be a record for future reference.

Some of these have been developed over time so that is another point on which all should be clear - for example, my Jeke (and that currently available) is unlike the earlier one.

Any suggestions, please?

And we all make a mess (especially me) at times but as long as we can sort it out together it's just a part of life's rich & varied pattern!

It may also be sensible to continue this Slumberhouse discussion in the sample pass thread please so that people who don't read this thread are kept in the picture.

New Slumberhouse FBs and samples arrived today so I'll continue my impressions here, before the sample pass starts. (Good news is that by a happy circumstance I can offer a 5 ml vial of Pear + Olive to the pass.)

Eki. So glad to locate a bottle of this because it's no longer produced and Jasmine is my favorite. This one has personality. It might be a floral, but it's not weak. My nose wants to say there's pepper in there, in addition to the: "Saccharine jasmine, magnolia, natural damascenone and millions of miniature white flowers" that Slumberhouse says. As I keep sniffing, I realize it also has whatever feels suffocating to me in a scent and makes me want to sneeze. Oh, no! Can this be a Slumberhouse I can't wear? Heart breaking. I put some on my hand to evaluate, but it's causing me the same bad reactions Chanel No. 5 did. Think I'm going to have to wash it off. Sob, sob!

Vikt. (Oriental Woody) All is forgiven! Magnificent earthy, treey, decaying vegetal smells! Under them, deeply hynotic floral/fruit all-smushed-together-until-the-sweetness-is-gone impressions. This is one great fragrance. It speaks. The Phantom of the Opera could wear Vikt. It says: "Come with me to dark, mysterious caverns." I won't go, but I sure as all get out want to hear about the trip! Fragrantica says the main accords are: balsamic, fresh spicy, oud, camphor, aromatic. This is a haunting fragrance. You could also leave out the "a" and say hunting. Glorious decadence. Beautiful. Yes, technically, it's green and woody and a tad spicy, but, shucks, those are only words. If I ever decide to go to hell in a handbasket or on wheels, or to kingdom come, I'll wear Vikt! Applause!

Flou. Ah, pure sweetness! Nothing bothers my nose. Instead, someone has gone to the garden, gathered bouquet of perfect rare flowers, and placed it at the front door. Inside, someone has sprayed a little ... musk? I can't describe whatever else is making this floral a delight. It's not cloying, far from it. Looking it up. Concord grapes, vine and all. Honey. Oh, no! It also has a spice of chemical that, after a while, bothers my nose.

Grev. (Woody Aromatic) On first sniff, a slightly smoky, spicey love. I'm smelling nutmeg or anise. Or cloves. Yes, cloves. Maybe dried herbs? A bouquet garni? Fragrantica says it: contains notes of copaiba balsam, fir resin, clove, orris root and cedar. It's a nice, fresh scent. Clove is the star. Again, something chemical though.

Sana. (Woody) Woods, -- and very nice ones. It's somewhat aromatic. No idea what else is here, a kind of fresh pineapply element?, but it all smells good. However, this, Grev, Flou and Eki all have what I'm guessing is a chemical element that bothers my nose. Total sob -- well, not a desperate sob by any means, because I have three glorious Slumberhouses that send me to heaven (Jeke, Pear + Olive, Vikt) and a fourth (Norne) is on the way.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 18th December 2013 at 10:53 PM.