Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Gucci Guilty or Bleu De Chanel

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gucci Guilty Line (please specify guilty, guilty intense, guilty black in the comments)

1 1.85%
  • Chanel De Bleu

53 98.15%

Default I'm losing sleep over this, help me out, Gucci Guilty line or Bleu De Chanel

Hey guys this is my first post, and have been lurking for a bit and could really use the forum's knowledge on this one

I'm looking for an everyday cologne that lasts a while and smells great
    The most important part for me is to smell fresh and attractive to females of course

I've tried Gucci Guilty (very strong for a short while), Gucci Guilty Black (smelled refreshing), and don't really remember what Gucci Guilty Intense smelled like. I understand the Gucci Guilty line doesn't get much love on this site from the men, but was wondering what you all thought a women's take might be on it. I understand it smells rather masculine in comparison to say Bleu De Chanel, which is the other scent I am also really liking. I like both the house Gucci and Chanel and am having a very hard time deciding between the two already. I am also worried wether the Gucci scent might be too much for some women. I feel the Chanel is a safe choice, but am worried that it might not be manly enough? Am I making sense? Love the scent myself, but I want it to smell masculine/sexy/provocative to the opposite gender, not just fresh and clean. think the Gucci line and Chanel line work very well on my skin. I'm not looking to smell delicious to other men, just to other women and enjoy the scent myself.

My age if thats relevant: 20 year old college student who likes to dress and has expensive taste.. just not in colognes yet

Any input appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Also could you tell me about the personalities best for each cologne if that's a thing?
    Any other recommendations on top of choosing between one of these two is ok with me.

Default Re: I'm losing sleep over this, help me out, Gucci Guilty line or Bleu De Chanel

Bleu de Chanel.

Default Re: I'm losing sleep over this, help me out, Gucci Guilty line or Bleu De Chanel

Blue, barely. No offense at all but one is better than the other by the smallest margin possible. I can think of 1000 better fragrances in the same price area. I would encourage you to explore other options.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me take it one step further. Get a sample, decant or bottle of Gucci pour homme ii . Forget the others .
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

im not the worlds biggest bleu de chanel fan but it simply beats gucci guilty

Bleu by a large margin, between these two.

Also recommend checking into both YSL L'homme and La Nuit de L'homme. If you're looking for a do-it-all fragrance, those would be my best recommendations, especially if date scenarios factor into the criteria.

Bleu de Chanel

Wow, looks like Chanel took over so far.
    I've heard a lot about the YSL and GPH ii, but just haven't had the chance to try them on my skin.
    There's so many choices that it becomes overwhelming for wanting a single scent

I just also realized that I can buy "Creed cologne Testers" at a heavily discounted price on fragrance net
    Are these legitimate? Any recommendations here? The Aventus is out of range, but some of the others come out to 120, a stretch, but I've heard they are the best from the majority of this forum?

Blog Entries

I know a lot of women who like Bleu on guys. Part of Chanel's launch strategy with Bleu was to place sample bottles and displays+bottles in the women's section. It seemed to work, too.

OTOH, I do know women who work in fragrance who think that Gucci Guilty is great stuff.

Both are similarly themed (good-smelling bad boy), so I don't really think either offers a stylistic edge over the other - and they are both very typical of the house vibe for their respective houses.

Bleu is a bit louder if you crank it up, IMO - I tend to think Gucci Guilty is a bit more subtle, although I know some people who actually think it is a strong scent.

I would recommend Chanel, because you can upgrade when your tastes get more expensive and defined. They have a greater variety of well-supported style choices that range from (my opinions)

sporty - Allure Homme Sport, Allure Homme Sport Cologne
    brash sporty - Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
    American all-around - Bleu de Chanel
    old-school all-around - Platinum Égoïste
    European young masculine - Allure Homme
    classy suave - Égoïste
    classy macho - Antaeus
    classic - Eau de Cologne / Pour Monsieur
    connoisseur - Bois des Iles, Sycomore, other Exclusifs
    metrosexual - no.5 Eau Première, no. 19, Coco Noir, Coco Mademoiselle

PS - Welcome to Basenotes!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eamon View Post
    I've heard a lot about the YSL and GPH ii, but just haven't had the chance to try them on my skin.

I just also realized that I can buy "Creed cologne Testers" at a heavily discounted price on fragrance net
    Are these legitimate? Any recommendations here? The Aventus is out of range, but some of the others come out to 120, a stretch, but I've heard they are the best from the majority of this forum?
    Bleu is a good all-around scent. You almost can't go wrong with it.

Be careful with Creed. I like Creed, but it took me a while to like them. I was very WTF about them at first. It took years before I came around to some of their offerings. I'd recommend against a blind buy, or even a rush buy if you're on the fence.

LOL, the results are unanimous lmao.
    Sorry but GG is trash.
    Bleu de Chanel is a nice composition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    LOL, the results are unanimous lmao.
    Sorry but GG is trash.
    Bleu de Chanel is a nice composition.
    LOL - yeah, I thought that was pretty hilarious. It's awfully rare to see unanimous around here.

Bleu de Chanel

(1170)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Please consider other fragrances. Creed MI or GIT are great starter Creeds. Might as well spend $40 extra and get something 50x better.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Please consider other fragrances. Creed MI or GIT are great starter Creeds. Might as well spend $40 extra and get something 50x better.
    True. I would say to the OP, just make sure you sample, or sniff in the store first. MI and GIT are almost blind buys, but if you do blind-buy one, you have to live with the results. I've grown weary of people who blind-buy Creed and then complain that it's not "the best", like they thought it was supposed to be. Nothing is best if you just don't like it, and people are allowed to dislike even $5000 fragrances.

I really don't like Guilty, so I would have to say Bleu. If you are interested in Creeds, go to a Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, or other higher end store and sample them there. Good ones to start out with are GIT, MI, and maybe SMW. If you can't get samples in a store, then a decant site online might be cheaper than fragrancenet.

Anyways, good luck, and I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

Both are boring and average, but if I was endangered I would pick Bleu.

Losing sleep over Gucci Guilty line...gosh, you're green.

Bleu
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Losing sleep over Gucci Guilty line...gosh, you're green.
    Super green.

To actually answer your question- If I was forced to choose I would take GG. Bleu has some awful note that comes out after about 30min and makes me sick. Guilty just smells like generic nothing so its not bad in comparison.
    Maybe Guilty Black since it seems like seems like its a fresh/sweet/spicy type frag that are so popular these days and arent too awful.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Super green.
    Yes, but the fact that he's losing sleep over ANY fragrance shows he belongs here.

Eamon, get out there and sample, sample, sample!
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Out of your choices Bleu..
    Since you like Chanel-why not check out the Allure series..

Also Gucci 1 & 2 are superior to the Guilty line

This. Of the two I would pick Bleu and it wouldn't be bad for a starter fragrance. Gucci Guilty is not good.

However, I think the idea of picking up a discounted Creed like GIT for $130 is better.

I would also explore Dior Homme/Intense.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Bleu! Now go to sleep

These poll results make me chuckle. If you held a gun to my head, I would say bleu. But really, I would go with none as I feel all of the choices are very generic and boring.

GPHii is a sure winner. I recommend you find a Sephora and ask for a take home sample of this, Dior Fahrenheit and Terre d'Hermes.

You can actually call any Neiman-Marcus and request a few samples of Creed fragrances that interest you and they will mail them to you. Beware that the fragrance you get will not smell exactly like your sample as there are slight variations to each batch they roll out. I suggest that you request Green Irish Tweed, Imperial, Aventus and Silver Mountain Water for starters. You could always chip in on a split to save money or buy more for your money.
    KCCO!

Looking at the poll results, it's still too close to call...

Next poll: Who's hotter: Mila Kunis or Rosanne Barr?

I agree, but I'm about to buy BdC myself as sort of a decent economical frequent frag and also picking up my first Creed. At Creed level, I can't use it that frequently, but as input for your decision, Bleu. Enjoy.

Wear something that makes you feel sexy and confident. That is what will appeal to the opposite sex. And possibly Chanel Pour Monsieur.

I like both, especially the Intense version from the Guilty line ranks quite high among my preferences, yet just a bit less than Blue. So I'd go with Blue and therefore genuinely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    . I recommend you find a Sephora and ask for a take home sample of this, Dior Fahrenheit and Terre d'Hermes.
    +1 for Sephora samples, for the things they carry.

I have been there a few times a month during an experimenting period and they never bat an eye at 2-3 samples. But I go when I'm not in a hurry, am very polite and ALWAYS wait until they ask ME if there's anything they can help me with.

Nice little misters big enough for some frags to give you two to three days of wear for a proper test and in labeled bags for each.

Sephora is fine for liberal samples and SAs have been pretty helpful. I have pretty much grown out of most of the stuff they carry. To me, they're just a step above basic department store, but they have their place.

Also keep in mind that non- standalone Sephoras located within department stores such as JCPenney don't offer the variety as do the standalones, but still have the same sampling service.

In fact, I never pass any of them without picking up a couple samples, and they're usually ones I either already own or know I like, just for a short trip, keep in the car/office, etc.

I Sampled Gucci Guity and it isn't in the same league as Bleu. I feel Gucci has fallen after Pour Homme I & II. Seems like everyone agrees.

​not even fair a fair battle, Bleu wins!!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Ha, good lesson about how well Guilty is thought about here BdC for sure. I also strongly recommend samples, if not from Sephora, then the $3-$4ish samples from places like Decant Shop, Perfumed Court, etc. That way you can try a whole bunch. I love some of the fragrances being recommended to you above (e.g., GPH I and II), but out of the 10ish or so Creeds I've tried, my favorite is about "oh, ok, nice I guess" and it goes down from there. You might think the reverse, but you have to try them to see.

Go with Chanel if you like the scent. It is a nice, relatively safe fragrance that smells good. You can always go from there.

Gucci now produces only very expensive cheapos!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Bleu! Now go to sleep
    Yes. Now. Good night.

another vote for terre d hermes... perfect for all occasions and for all seasons!

Lol at poll. I've seen one sided, but this takes the cake!!

I think beginners hear the words Gucci, Versace, Armani etc and think, God these are great designers so their fragrances must be cream of the crop. And in actuality they are often crap to average at best.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Who's the fool that voted for Gucci? *tongue-in-cheek*

Update:

Thanks to this thread, I went ahead and picked up some samples from Sephora and Niemans

YSL L'Homme Intense
    Dior Homme
    GPH ii
    Creed Millesime Imperial, Aventus, and GIT.

Although I don't think I'll be able to justify the Creed line for now unless they're absolutely extraordinary.

I was hoping this thread would make my decision easier, not harder haha

Thanks for all the input

- - - Updated - - -

Update 2:

Just sampled all one by one,
    Loved the GPH ii, and I think I like the Aventus + GIT, but had mixed feelings about these two.
    I disliked everything else, especially the Dior (seemed way to old/spicy for me, but seems like some younger people wear it)
    YSL intense was ok, good for nights, sweet, but tiring.

My sister smelled all of them and didn't like any of them really either, except for the Aventus, and she thought the GPH ii was ok. However, she and I both agreed that directly smelling the sprayed area of Aventus was plain awful. It smelled good at first spray and from a distance. It smelled very "nature like" according to her. I feel like that would be a bad choice for close proximity with dates.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Maybe its just my age

So far Chanel has been my favorite surprisingly
    Last edited by eamon; 6th December 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Man, look at this! 1 to 42 now! Still that 1 is surprising...

Blog Entries

Update:

Thanks to this thread, I went ahead and picked up some samples from Sephora and Niemans

Awesome!
    - - - Updated - - -

Update 2:

Just sampled all one by one,
    Even better!

My sister smelled all of them and didn't like any of them really either, except for the Aventus...
    LOL - you have fed the Aventus monster one more sacrifice!

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Man, look at this! 1 to 42 now! Still that 1 is surprising...
    LOL!!!

Some moderator might ban you if you buy GG...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Some moderator might ban you if you buy GG...
    LOL! Won't be me. A GG buy after being warned is legendary, and good for years of kidding!

If you buy Gucci Guilty, you shall be proved Guilty of being unacceptably stupid and bringing disrepute to the fragrance community in the mighty court of Basenotes! The penalty would be a charity donation of an amount at least as large as the sum of money paid to acquire the bottle of Gucci Guilty and a ban from Basenotes for a minimal period of 1 day!

Super green.

To actually answer your question- If I was forced to choose I would take GG. Bleu has some awful note that comes out after about 30min and makes me sick. Guilty just smells like generic nothing so its not bad in comparison.
    Maybe Guilty Black since it seems like seems like its a fresh/sweet/spicy type frag that are so popular these days and arent too awful.
    I think Heperd must have accidentally mixed his bottle of Guilty with Jubilation XXV and mistook it for a different fragrance.

J/k!!!! Totally joking.

I let the Aventus sit a little more on my skin, not going to lie, love this stuff.
    Just smells/feels right to me and it seems to be long lasting so far. I wonder how noticeable it is to others and how much you have to spray on.

However I still feel like the Bleu is really good too and even a little more bold, if thats the right term. The Creed feels like its an everyday cologne.

Would love to own a bottle of Creed, Bleu, and GPH ii.
    Its probably going to be between Bleu and GPH ii

Going to give the Aventus sample a few more days thought for now

Chanel, but the allure line.

I let the Aventus sit a little more on my skin, not going to lie, love this stuff.
    Just smells/feels right to me and it seems to be long lasting so far. I wonder how noticeable it is to others and how much you have to spray on.

However I still feel like the Bleu is really good too and even a little more bold, if thats the right term. The Creed feels like its an everyday cologne.

Would love to own a bottle of Creed, Bleu, and GPH ii.
    Its probably going to be between Bleu and GPH ii

Going to give the Aventus sample a few more days thought for now
    I would personally spend a little more for creed. You can find them heavily discounted online.