Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default It seems to me I am Anti-Chanel... Anyone else on here?

I am not sure what it is about mens Chanel fragrances, but from all I have tried so far I was not really impressed with anything at all. I sampled Allure Homme, Allure H Sport, AHS Eau Extreme, Platinum Egoiste and Bleu. Did not like any of them enough to buy a full bottle. Not only that, I found them quite annoying actually. Anyone else has similar sentiments towards the contemporary offerings by this legendary house?

Default Re: It seems to me I am Anti-Chanel... Anyone else on here?

Unfortunately don't share your sentiments for this house, as I think it's a classy all around house. Just wondering, have you tried their exclusive line of scents? You might have a different opinion.
    (1184)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Could almost be one myself, since some of their most recent releases may be (in my opinion) hit and miss. Yet, certain classics like No. 19, Cristalle, PM and PM Concentree improve my overall perception of this house and thus its (more or less) final rating- from a strictly personal viewpoint.

Own at least 3 of their perfumes and the others I've smelled, whilst some were not exactly exciting (esp. considering the prices), were of good quality.

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Own at least 3 of their perfumes and the others I've smelled, whilst some were not exactly exciting (esp. considering the prices), were of good quality.

They need to up the quality of their juices. Otherwise they have some great ideas (Les Esclusifs).

Basenotes Plus

Get a sample of Coromandel and wait for a cold day to try it, you might just change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    I am not sure what it is about mens Chanel fragrances, but from all I have tried so far I was not really impressed with anything at all. I sampled Allure Homme, Allure H Sport, AHS Eau Extreme, Platinum Egoiste and Bleu. Did not like any of them enough to buy a full bottle. Not only that, I found them quite annoying actually. Anyone else has similar sentiments towards the contemporary offerings by this legendary house?

You went and sampled the five worst scents they ever made.
    If you had gone for Egoiste, Pour Homme and Antaeus it might have been different....

(Though I am quite fond of Bleu every now and again, and maybe even Allure Homme.)
    Last edited by martinijo; 5th December 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    I sampled Allure Homme, Allure H Sport, AHS Eau Extreme, Platinum Egoiste and Bleu.
    I think what you sampled is part of the problem as those are, to me, grim at best.

No. 19, Cristalle, Cuir de Russie, Coromandel, Sycomore, and Bois des Iles are all worth a sniff.

Yes the Les Exclusifs are a cut above the regular offerings. But I have been taken to Platinum Egoiste lately for a work day scent. Bleu reigns supreme for the warmer months for me. Antaeus is an old time favorite. Overall, a decent to excellent house depending on your needs.

You're not exploring the right stuff w/i the house IMO. Chanel makes some great fragrances: Sycomore, Bois des Iles, 31 Rue de Cambon, Coromandel, Egoiste and Antaeus are very nice scents.

I'm very much pro-Chanel. Les Exclusifs collection is in my opinion along with Malle the best active fragrance house. Vintage versions aside, even the current version of Egoiste is absolutely brilliant. Antaeus is also still surprisingly good. I somehow don't even consider the Allures to be real Chanels.

They have a certain frigid elegance that can definitely be off-putting.

An acquired taste, like Dijon mustard at youth, I would say.

Basenotes Plus

I think Chanel make some of the classiest scents. Coromandel, Sycomore and Egoiste being three that spring to mind. Summer staples for me are Bleu and AH Edition Blanche.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

I own and love quite a few Chanel fragrances. I do agree that you should try some of the Les Exclusifs.

I used to think I was 'Anti- Chanel' until I tried Egoiste, which has become one of my favourite fragrances (wearing it right now in fact) and have heard marvellous things about the Cologne Concentree version of it.

While I have tried many of the exclusifs, they've been, for the most part, hit and miss. Cuir de Russie is a really good one while I have a hard time enjoying Coromandel.

Overall, solid house that has their big hits with me, and some very forgettable ones.

(The women Chanel's are fantastic and I have much respect for the line)

Egoiste might just be my favourite designer fragrance marketed towards men. I find Antaeus a bit butch and Pour Monsieur a little bit too 'classic', but can appreciate the artistry and creativity in both. The Allure line can go f*** itself, quite frankly.

The women have all the best Chanels, as canuck21 alludes to. Also, the Exclusifs line might just be the best niche line available today, with some true historic classics and some modern beauties to boot. I do think Guerlain have been the more consistent house out of the two, but there's no shame in being second best!

Can't say that I'm fully a fan either. The Les Exclusifs are expensive and tend to be too retro or feminine for my likes. Pour Monsieur and Antaeus are just so gosh darn retro, yet watered down from it's original roots (I remembered my father getting Antaeus when I was 10 or 11 and it's still boxed up somewhere I think).

I do own Egoiste (prior my favorite best masculine rose note before I got Windsor) and Bleu de Chanel, but it's rare that I now reach for them unless I'm about to travel since they're so inoffensive and well-liked by others around me - wife requests Bleu de Chanel often when I'm in Jamaica. In fact, I wore Egoiste and was always asked if I borrowed my grandfather's scents. Ouch.

The Allure line (all 14,000 flankers) are not a real favorite of mine, despite having once owned quite a few of them (usually gifts). And sadly, I had high hopes that they'd have something in the exclusifs that says "Hey, I'm full blown masculine, not sorta masculine or if you hold your head a certain way it's masculine..." but here we are.

I'm a casual fan, but my faith has yet to be rewarded by the house of Chanel. It doesn't even have to be a modern masculine. I'd just love something as well thought out and compelling as Sycomore (which can be worn by a man, just not this man and I occasionally wear Creed Royal Ceylan) but it just... doesn't seem like that will happen.

But Chanel versus Guerlain is much like Canon versus Nikon or Ford versus Chevy (or if you're fancy) or Lamborghini versus Ferrari.

The only Chanel scent I own is Egoiste, and I blind bought it, and it took a while to grow on me.

I am not a fan, though Bleu is growing on me. Something about most of them just doesn't grab me. I haven't looked for Exclusifs.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    You went and sampled the five worst scents they ever made.
    Indeed.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I in particular love the Allure series..
    AHEB is a modern day 4-5 star frag..
    Allure PH is wonderful also..
    Everyone has his/her own opinion though..

P.S. Platinum Egoiste is overrated

I have Sycomore and Egoiste, I am trying to hunt down a vintage Antaeus, even the current formulation is better than 99% of the crap out there.

Maybe your meh reaction has something to do with the way Chanel presents itself. I do love him ever so dearly, but Karl's getting a bit old, the clientele has had an image (rightly or wrongly) that's thought of as a bit old, for years now, and the advertising has never really changed in its basic message - it's all about classical beauty - for decades now. The packaging is still evocative of the old Chanel No. 5 bottle. That bottle is one of the most beautiful expressions of modernism ever created, and will always be so, but, let's face it, it's the same old bottle.

Now, some (ok, many) people reading this will dismiss what I've written as irrelevant superficiality - even though almost all of us love fragrance packaging, yes it's true - let's move on to the juice. You can find almost anything you want in the Chanel range. Well, maybe except for risk-taking. In this forum, we love the controversial juices because we all want to argue about them. If not argue, we all want to take a stand on polarizing scents. Come on, don't we? Really, what's better than arguing about a "piss" note? Or civet. Or "the men's cologne that smells like my grandma." Or the cologne that smells like someone else's grandma. Or anything that's (my specialty) "tooth-rottingly sweet."

Perhaps it is just not in Chanel's DNA to create polarizing fragrances. I don't think they do it. Really, I can't think of anything they've done that is so lushly, deeply, syrupy sweet that it starts an argument. Animalic? There too, pretty much nothing that I know of, except for maybe the old Antaeus, and even there I haven't seen anything here, about Antaeus, that rises to the level of debate that Kouros generates. Is there a Chanel that, like a Rothko or, more to the point, a Molecule 01, that makes us all talk about where minimalism becomes a joke being played on the audience?

Not that you pick fragrances on the basis of how much dialogue that you can generate about it here. But at the same time, if you seek a little personal excitement in a fragrance purchase, i.e., an internal dialogue about is it too sweet? is it too feminine? is it too dirty..... "yeah, I'm gonna try dirty and see if I can pull it off"........ then Chanel is probably not going to be your first choice. Chanel is the very epitome of good taste. People pay extra for that. It's like Brooks Brothers - if you're unsure of what you're doing, you pay Chanel and Brooks Brothers to make sure you look like you know what you're doing. There's nothing wrong with that. Most of the time, that's what I do. But if you want to go out on a limb, take your chances, see if you can take a risk and by some miracle get it right, you're likely to go elsewhere. Like, maybe, CdG or Etro or some nutcase niche house.

I like Platinum Egoiste, but it doesn't exactly make me feel like I'm flouting convention. It's fine, even beautiful, but it doesn't make my heart go pitter-patter. Eau de Cologne, ok, now we're getting somewhere. It is beautiful, nuanced, and creates images of sunny, aromatic citrus groves. The drydown is just ever-so-slightly feminine that it gives me a hint of that excited feeling, "Can I get away with this?" And then there is Coromandel, that shape-shifting, vanilla-infused, androgynous ode to the smell of a damp basement. Now we're talkin'. Look, I will almost always pick "beauty" over "edgy". Beauty's better. Chanel is about beauty, flowers, the south of France, you know the deal. But every so often I want a fragrance to play with my head. And Coromandel does that for me. I grew up in a house with a damp basement. Opening up a bottle and being transported back to when I was 10 or 11 years old.....is that not magical? Is that not beautiful?

You may be able to find some personal excitement in the Chanel line. You may find something that speaks to you. You may find something that fires through your system and finds a little, semi-hidden corner of your soul and feeds it, either as a source of excitement, or comfort, or simply pleasure. I finally did, though I had to try about 15 names before I got there with a high degree of conviction. Hate to say it, I really do, but to me there is a relatively bland sameness within their range that even runs through much of the Exclusifs line. I think that Chanel should be more open to taking risks. Or maybe they just have an in-house culture that has an aesthetic sense that just isn't for me. This is all very subjective stuff, you know, and we are talking about little old me passing judgement on the maison that owns the most iconic fragrance of all time.

One last comparison I'd make is, well, I don't even like doing this but let's compare Chanel to.... I can already hear the Gallic irritation..... Hermes. To me, the Hermes range is like a minefield and a harem, all in the same store. You just don't know where the harem ends and where the minefield starts. I resent some of the experiments that Elena has conducted on his loyal clientele - I've made some bad, hasty, impulsive decisions with Hermes but I stopped when I realized how utterly crazy Elena can be. And how crazy Hermes allows him to be, which I think is unimaginable from a managerial point of view. Yet, this little French fragrance atelier has probably become the modern-day fragrance equivalent of the old Bell Labs. They invent stuff. They create new things. It's exciting stuff and incredibly modern. Just sometimes terribly modern......

Anyway, Chanel is nothing if not traditionalists. This is how I see things. I'm a Chanel customer and I love the extraordinary customer service there. I love two of their fragrances and like one. I own one more for sentimental reasons. In clothing, the Fall 2013 RTW line is just sick. Not really daring, again, but really, breathtakingly, beautiful. That's what Chanel does. That's the template. But if I'm looking for some super-crazy new fragrance experience, well, Chanel isn't where I'd go looking for it. I think that they have the power and the track record to be more daring than they are in fragrance.
    Last edited by Wheatstraw2; 6th December 2013 at 05:09 AM.

Used to have a full bottle of each scent in the OP's list.

The only one that i bought a second bottle of and still enjoy it and love it is : Bleu de Chanel
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Yep. I don't really like their fragrances. They smells bad to me but I can understand why they're good for the others.

Basically, it's good but just not for me.

I don't think Chanel is a bad house, but their fragrances often don't live up to their prestige.

Particularly the Allure series.

I would have almost been on the same boat as the OP if it were not for Antaues.

The classics such as Egoiste, Antaeus and Pour Monsieur regular/concentree are great. The rest is just average.

This a very limited scope to arrive at hating a specific house, I have a few houses I don't care for but just because they don't give me a fix, I then cast them down...I'm one that recognizes marvelous blends that I care less for but give them due respects....nevertheless I will make sure Monsieur Jacques Polge is aware of this thread...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "