Code of Conduct

Default Puredistance - Do You?

Xscent, kind soul that she is, sent me a vial of Puredistance M which, as you likely know, is marketed to men. It is quite astounding so far. Smooth, rich, deep and so well blended. At first it reminded me of Amouage Fate Women, and it still does, but I find myself surprised as side by the side the Puredistance outdistances the Amouage in terms of being beautifully blended with no sharp edges.

As a result, I'm looking into sampling the other offerings in the future and would love some input from the ladies as to weather you use the scents marketed to men from this line and how you like them.

I've located a sample set on Ebay but it's from Lithuania and seems perhaps to good to be true, anyone care to comment on that?

Default Re: Puredistance - Do You?

To be honest, even though M is a masterpiece on its own, the rest of the line is way overpriced unless you are in love and willing to pay...

Black is the other 'man' scent from the line, there are better and many options to try first: Wonderwood, Grey Vetiver, Sycomore, Encre Noire, ...

Antonia and Opardu are good, but they lack 'body' to keep going for several hours, their character fades out into average drydowns rather quickly, as I said, too expensive IMO. 'I' is just forgettable after 10 minutes, way weaker than the other 2.

And many ladies wear scents marketed for men, it's all about confidence. And you need a lot for M, true. But hey, imagine a couple, she wears M and he Maroc pour Elle, wow, I wanna see that movie
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    To be honest, even though M is a masterpiece on its own, the rest of the line is way overpriced unless you are in love and willing to pay...

Black is the other 'man' scent from the line, there are better and many options to try first: Wonderwood, Grey Vetiver, Sycomore, Encre Noire, ...

Antonia and Opardu are good, but they lack 'body' to keep going for several hours, their character fades out into average drydowns rather quickly, as I said, too expensive IMO. 'I' is just forgettable after 10 minutes, way weaker than the other 2.

And many ladies wear scents marketed for men, it's all about confidence. And you need a lot for M, true. But hey, imagine a couple, she wears M and he Maroc pour Elle, wow, I wanna see that movie
    Thanks for the input Brian! Confidence isn't something I lack so that is no problem. Interesting that the rest of the line is only average. I did read quite a few reviews of Black that said as much. I wonder how companies can charge such prices and succeed on any level if their offerings are only mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Thanks for the input Brian! Confidence isn't something I lack so that is no problem. Interesting that the rest of the line is only average. I did read quite a few reviews of Black that said as much. I wonder how companies can charge such prices and succeed on any level if their offerings are only mediocre.
    They count on the overly status-conscious consumer to equate high price with high quality, a common marketing tactic when it comes to perceived luxury, and it works (if luxury goods aren't selling, it might actually be because they've been priced too low.) I agree with Brian Towers, especially concerning Antonia and I which aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but they're also not nearly memorable or unique enough to justify the price.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Antonia is a beautiful perfume and certainly worth sampling, but the price is way too high, at least for me anway.

Danieq I thought I should chime in since I started it.

You know how I feel about M, as with any range we are not going to love all the offerings and really each to their own in regards how each offering is perceived and how much any of us are willing to part with, it's such a personal decision, best to leave it to your own nose to make that call. Perfumes are not branded like other luxury items e.g. handbags, clothes etc, there is no logo advertising to the world you are wearing a very expensive perfume so status would only ever be in the mind of the buyer.

I enjoy the Puredistance line. I find their offering luxurious and elegant. There is a restraint and a classical approach to their perfumery that appeals. I have happily paid more for vintage extracts and I will happily pay the price asked for M and will likely pick up Opardu soon too .

The judgement of price verse quality is subjective and unlike other luxury houses Puredistance at least have adjusted their price and size offering to make it more accessible, now how rare is that?
    Last edited by Xscent; 6th December 2013 at 02:05 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    DanieqThe judgement of price verse quality is subjective and unlike other luxury houses Puredistance at least have adjusted their price and size offering to make it more accessible, now how rare is that?
    It's certainly true that this whole industry is subjectivity defined!

Do you mean to say that PD has lowered its prices compared to earlier in their history Xscent? If so, that is very unusual indeed.

It's certainly true that this whole industry is subjectivity defined!

Do you mean to say that PD has lowered its prices compared to earlier in their history Xscent? If so, that is very unusual indeed.
    Previously they only offered the 17.5ml vials. More recently PD brought in different sizes so the cost per ml would be better, can't say the same of many other houses where the price just keeps on increasing.

Previously they only offered the 17.5ml vials. More recently PD brought in different sizes so the cost per ml would be better, can't say the same of many other houses where the price just keeps on increasing.
    Ah, I get it! Thanks for the explanation!

Am I late? All details have been scrutinized under the microscope , seems like, but to answer your question -- No, I do not.

It's OK Twolf, you're never late! Jump freely into the fray!

Antonia is really nice as well, but M's quite brilliant. It feels clinically composed in that the notes are all crystal clear and feel sort of isolated from one another, but it's a strong one so watch out! I haven't tried Black yet, but initial responses don't have me excited enough to go seek it out.

And yes, as Brian noted, the prices are sky high—but Dove's other stuff is even more obscenely priced. You can tell the craftsmanship is there, but it's still some crazy money. Palm Beach suggested Fetish which is a modern chypre, but if you get the chance to try Diaghilev, do so as it's way over-the-top, but quite beautiful.

Perfumes are not branded like other luxury items e.g. handbags, clothes etc, there is no logo advertising to the world you are wearing a very expensive perfume so status would only ever be in the mind of the buyer

...I have happily paid more for vintage extracts and I will happily pay the price asked for M and will likely pick up Opardu soon too.
    Well, this might come as a surprise to brand-name fetishists, but many luxury items don't have logos plastered all over them, and many status-conscious consumers wouldn't dream of flaunting the logo anyway ...one can actually get an Hermés bag without the big ol' H, and a Chanel bag without the iconic interlocking C-logo. I understand that some people don't get the point of dropping thousands of dollars on a bag unless its high price is immediately obvious to all who lay eyes on it, but status-conscious needn't always be ostentatious. On the other hand, visible logos aren't even all that necessary in attempts to impress others; there are obviously plenty of opportunities right here to boast about how much one has spent on perfume ...as if luxury perfumes aren't carefully, intentionally priced to hold a position in the high-end market. Chanel recently adjusted the price of their entire exclusifs line to reflect how they want these fragrances to be perceived, and it had nothing to do with the fragrances all suddenly becoming more expensive to produce.

But to get back on topic, these perfumes are indeed very nice, but the MSRP has virtually nothing to do with actual costs, and everything to do with lofty consumer aspiration.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Well, this might come as a surprise to brand-name fetishists, but many luxury items don't have logos plastered all over them, and many status-conscious consumers wouldn't dream of flaunting the logo anyway ...one can actually get an Hermés bag without the big ol' H, and a Chanel bag without the iconic interlocking C-logo. I understand that some people don't get the point of dropping thousands of dollars on a bag unless its high price is immediately obvious to all who lay eyes on it, but status-conscious needn't always be ostentatious. On the other hand, visible logos aren't even all that necessary in attempts to impress others; there are obviously plenty of opportunities right here to boast about how much one has spent on perfume ...as if luxury perfumes aren't carefully, intentionally priced to hold a position in the high-end market. Chanel recently adjusted the price of their entire exclusifs line to reflect how they want these fragrances to be perceived, and it had nothing to do with the fragrances all suddenly becoming more expensive to produce.

But to get back on topic, these perfumes are indeed very nice, but the MSRP has virtually nothing to do with actual costs, and everything to do with lofty consumer aspiration.
    I don't disagree with you. Some people like a visible logo some don't and that's fine to each their own. I'm sure the luxury houses know their target markets and obviously cater to them.

I would think for most people perfume is personal choice. What we like, how much we are willing to pay or what our motivation is largely dependant on our personal circumstances. In the scheme of things Puredistance is much of a lesser known brand so if anyone is going to spend the cash on any on their offerings I would hope it would be because they enjoy it rather than it be an attempt to impress others.

Never heard of this house until today. Just ordered some samples. As for brand names in perfumes, it's what my nose reports 100%. One of my most treasured acquisitions is Demeter's Jasmine that I found on ebay for $18.50. I bought two in case of national shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Never heard of this house until today. Just ordered some samples. As for brand names in perfumes, it's what my nose reports 100%. One of my most treasured acquisitions is Demeter's Jasmine that I found on ebay for $18.50. I bought two in case of national shortage.
    Better to be safe than sorry right!

I am with you, it's not that I care about brands really either. But I do find I tend to either enjoy a particular house in general or not. Or course, that is not ALWAYS the case, but it often is.

I am with you, it's not that I care about brands really either. But I do find I tend to either enjoy a particular house in general or not. Or course, that is not ALWAYS the case, but it often is.
    That makes sense because a given designer or house can have a scent philosophy conveyed throughout the line. This is clearly the case with those I've just tested: Slumberhouse in particular and Jovoy. I've read a house sometimes develops a signature base. So it's certainly possible to love a single house for purely olfactory reasons, though so far even with houses I like very much, I only buy the few perfumes I really adore. I don't think MJ and ET influenced my of love BaV, for instance. The history did pique my initial interest, but couldn't have sustained it. Only the perfume itself could do that. Maybe all that matters is that we enjoy the scents we buy.

I've read a house sometimes develops a signature base. So it's certainly possible to love a single house for purely olfactory reasons,
    There are many that will do this, sometimes out of laziness, but also to build upon a commercial success (hence, flankers). Some lines, though, just have signatures -- Slumberhouse used to be that way (although less so now) in that you'd either get something outlandishly smoky or very vegetal. Lutens, Hermessence, Amouage, are somewhat identifiable as having signatures as well.

Deadidol, thanks. That's what I thought. I tested 20 L'Artisans the other day and only loved and bought 4. However I'll definitely be alert to test additional ones in the future because I liked their style.

On the earlier subject, elitism in perfumes: I don't think I'm an elitist, but isn't expecting not to see it on Basenotes, the cyber hometown of luxury perfume, like going to Buckingham Palace and not expecting to see crowns?
    Last edited by ScentFan; 7th December 2013 at 05:59 AM.

If you like it wear it. I will wear anything I enjoy!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

If you liked M then you have to try Fetish pour homme parfum extrait.
    Both were created by Roja Dove but M for PureDistance & Fetish for his own personal line.

Fetish pour femme has nothing to do with M & Fetish pour homme.

for swap/sale:

My samples of Puredistance M, Opardu and Black arrived. Quick sniffs:

M. A leather chypre. Hat off to Roja Dove, the designer, but it's not for me. Too much leather and vetiver. Not enough florals.

Opardu. A truly nice and, as the advert claims, swanky feminine perfume. Definitely 5th Avenue. The florals are there, but no sensuality from musk or amber or sandalwood, so it's not for me.

Black. This is labelled a masculine perfume and Puredistance says they're not going to reveal the ingredients, but my nose knows rose* and sandalwood when it smells them. A beautiful resin is there, too. And the sorts of notes that make me love L'Artisans. No musk, really, and it's kind of spicey, but this is my kind of perfume. A possible buy.

*Actually, my first instinct was jasmine, but I thought about it and decided rose. Now I think it's both.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 22nd December 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    If you liked M then you have to try Fetish pour homme parfum extrait.
    Both were created by Roja Dove but M for PureDistance & Fetish for his own personal line.

Fetish pour femme has nothing to do with M & Fetish pour homme.
    I'll check this out, thanks for the suggestion .

M. A leather chypre. Hat off to Roja Dove, the designer, but it's not for me. Too much leather and vetiver. Not enough florals.

Opardu. A truly nice and, as the advert claims, swanky feminine perfume. Definitely 5th Avenue. The florals are there, but no sensuality from musk or amber or sandalwood, so it's not for me.

Black. This is labelled a masculine perfume and Puredistance says they're not going to reveal the ingredients, but my nose knows rose* and sandalwood when it smells them. A beautiful resin is there, too. And the sorts of notes that make me love L'Artisans. No musk, really, and it's kind of spicey, but this is my kind of perfume. A possible buy.

*Actually, my first instinct was jasmine, but I thought about it and decided rose. Now I think it's both.
    I do want to try Black, I think it sounds very interesting. Have you smelled Fate Woman? It reminds me a lot of M.

...I do want to try Black, I think it sounds very interesting. Have you smelled Fate Woman? It reminds me a lot of M.
    Yes, I have a sample of Fate Woman here somewhere. I just remember it didn't grab me, probably for the same reason M didn't. Will reply further when I locate it. To me, M is really the "masculine" perfume and Black the feminine or unisex one. Those labels are always subjective, tho, as I've discovered.

Interesting Scentfan. I am yet more interested!

I love hearing others peoples take on the same fragrance. Interesting how differently M plays out on me. I tend to turn prefer the more masculine or unisex scents as my skunk taming skin softens and smooths spice, civet and leather notes while turning most sweet florals and gourmands into a hot mess (cannot wear Angel, makes me ill). So I do get the florals in M as my skin mellows out the spice and leather. Opardu does last on me and I get the heady sensuous florals and woods.

Really want to try Black now.