Code of Conduct

Default Joop nightflight got me more compliments than Creed Aventus!!

This is crazy, I have tried Aventus on most of my special events and not once have I received any compliments........went to a local dance club with a few sprays of Joop Nighflight which by the way is one of my gym scents and got tons of compliments. I was happy as hell but pissed at the fact that Aventus has not lived up to any of my expectations.

Even my own daughter who was putting my coat away that night was like......ummmmm what is this cologne???

**Facepalm**

Default Re: Joop nightflight got me more compliments than Creed Aventus!!

Nightflight is a stellar scent. Happy to know it works for you!
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I have Nightflight. Got it with a swap. I hate it. Gave it to my dad. He never wears it. It serves no purpose for either of us. lol But I'm glad it works for you.
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

I have Nightflight and find it cloying and synthetic. (A gym scent? Whoa...) But, if it works for you then rock it!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

This doesn't surprise me at all, Nightflight is THE scent, no matter the fact there's no love for it on this site. I myself got noticed quite more than often while wearing it.

Pretty much every fragrance will behave this way...there are factors that govern this phenomenon. They include: time of day, weather, humidity, your chemistry (which changes based on what you eat, spicy, alcohol, etc..) the predominant note in the last few fragrances you have been wearing (there are molecules trapped in your nose) and finally what the people in the club have been smelling.

I got a lot of compliments from vintage Aramis at a club in downtown San Diego. Go figure...
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

To be honest... I've had so many colognes in the past. From Gucci's Polo's Cartier's Dior's Chanel's and many many others.... Bottom line, when it comes to Creed most people don't even know how to process them mentally. Designer fragrances have so much chemical-shit in them which makes them project differently than Creed.

I was just at Bloomingdales yesterday and not to sound snobbish, BUT I saw a new YSL and decided to spray it on a card. It smelled so synthetic and cheap. I remember before I started wearing Creed, I strictly wore designer scents, and now that I'm into Creed - everything else smells sickening to me.

There's a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Even most Hermes scents smell gross to me.... Like the molecules have something similar to a rodent spray.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like every single Creed fragrance made, But to be Honest Creed does something distinguished quality than that of most or maybe even all fragrance makers known. I've only found 4 other brands who matches QUALITY similar to Creed. Those are L'Artisan Parfumeur, James Heeley, and Tom Ford Private Blend Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have Nightflight and find it cloying and synthetic.
    I've tried it once which was enough. Generic, and as you say synthetic and cloying.
    (1225)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Personally didn't care for it much as not my favourite kind of fragrance but it certainly did project, which should invite compliments, and probably is quite pleasing to many.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    ...Designer fragrances have so much chemical-shit in them which makes them project differently than Creed...
    Maybe this explains why so many of the fragrances I'm trying are practically suffocating me, unlike my all-time favorite, Creed's Jasmin Imperatrice Eugnie. Also not Slumberhouse. Or L'Artisan.

Haven't had the pleasure of trying Nightflight yet, but I have Joop Jump and it gets MAD compliments from women!

Basenotes Plus

To be honest... I've had so many colognes in the past. From Gucci's Polo's Cartier's Dior's Chanel's and many many others.... Bottom line, when it comes to Creed most people don't even know how to process them mentally. Designer fragrances have so much chemical-shit in them which makes them project differently than Creed.

I was just at Bloomingdales yesterday and not to sound snobbish, BUT I saw a new YSL and decided to spray it on a card. It smelled so synthetic and cheap. I remember before I started wearing Creed, I strictly wore designer scents, and now that I'm into Creed - everything else smells sickening to me.

There's a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Even most Hermes scents smell gross to me.... Like the molecules have something similar to a rodent spray.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like every single Creed fragrance made, But to be Honest Creed does something distinguished quality than that of most or maybe even all fragrance makers known. I've only found 4 other brands who matches QUALITY similar to Creed. Those are L'Artisan Parfumeur, James Heeley, and Tom Ford Private Blend Collection.
    How many brands have you checked out so far?

Sound Scents

Bottom line, when it comes to Creed most people don't even know how to process them mentally. Designer fragrances have so much chemical-shit in them which makes them project differently than Creed.

There's a difference.

Hate to burst your bubble but Creed is using a similar quantity of synthetics in their compositions as most others do. Execution is more key, IMO, and to my nose Creed fails just as often as they succeed. That said, they certainly have some winners and GIT and Jardin d'Amalfi are stellar in particular.

With respect to the two compositions in question, to me it is a tie (as neither impressed).
    Last edited by drseid; 6th December 2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I really like Nightflight, have a bottle in my collection, yes is a bit synthetic but always a compliments collector, this fragrance is really appreciated around expecially in summer time. Romantic.

Banned
    Blog Entries

All Joop frag's are synthetic and cloying that I have smelled..
    Nevertheless they do draw attention in one way or another..
    Joop Wild should be next on your list OP

I like it too and own a 125ml bottle I got for very cheap. It is maybe generic but smells good to me, performs all day and is imo not cloying at all.
    And indeed always appreciated around!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I can take Night Flight in small doses. I prefer Joop! Jump which is a smoother version.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Yes, this is gonna be my next puchase...been doing some research on it the last few days

I will check it out......thanks.

Good for you buddy....enjoy....more Aventus for me
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Nightflight, is, in my opinion, one of the more underrated and also surprisingly good fresh yet also slightly spicy pineapple-fruity male fragrances.

Let's see - zero compliments for Aventus, versus tons for Nightflight, and you are disappointed.

I don't know why you are disappointed, there have been dozens of threads here about the paucity of compliments or positive comments when is wearing niche scents. I got one once when wearing Villoresi Vetiver - but that was from my wife.

I think you should instead consider yourself enlightened. I currently have Nightflight on my wrist and am considering buying it, as it is finally growing on me after a dozen years of testing it. Your perception of what is good was clearly superior to mine.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Let's see - zero compliments for Aventus, versus tons for Nightflight, and you are disappointed.

I don't know why you are disappointed, there have been dozens of threads here about the paucity of compliments or positive comments when is wearing niche scents. I got one once when wearing Villoresi Vetiver - but that was from my wife.

I think you should instead consider yourself enlightened. I currently have Nightflight on my wrist and am considering buying it, as it is finally growing on me after a dozen years of testing it. Your perception of what is good was clearly superior to mine.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I have nothing against Aventus fact is I like it but I wish it did something for me. My expectations vs $$$ is way off!

Basenotes Junkie

I cant comment on the Joop, ive never tried it.

I do agree i just purchased my 2nd bottle of aventus while in amsterdam this weekend on vacation.

I sprayed it on, but it did not excite me like the first few times wearing it. Lets face it, fresh woody masculines are about in abundance, but i do believe one should be a staple in most mens fragrance wardrobe. This is probally the most verasatile fragrance i have in my wardrobe, i can wear it anytime and anyplace without thinking about the weather or occasion and it gets the job done.

as for quality i agree it doesnt smell mind blowing but i have no faults with it. My friend bought original santal while we was there too, and i have to say OS smells both more unique and more expensive smelling if theres such a thing, but i still love my aventus, and creeds do smell good for most part, better than just average!!!

Starting to really like VIW and OS alot, two of there better modern millesimes in my opinion.
    Last edited by DMA; 10th December 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    I cant comment on the Joop, ive never tried it.

Starting to really like VIW and OS alot, two of there better modern millesimes in my opinion.
    How does one get to be wearing Aventus without trying the masculine classic of Joop Homme along the way?

Original Santal to many, including me, smells like a softer, less harsh version of the original Joop Homme. I don't know if you'll actually like Joop Homme much, but there are an awful lot of sweet scents like Original Santal that wouldn't be around now if Joop Homme hadn't been such a big hit when it first came out.
    Regards,
    Renato

There's a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

What utter nonsense.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    How does one get to be wearing Aventus without trying the masculine classic of Joop Homme along the way?

Original Santal to many, including me, smells like a softer, less harsh version of the original Joop Homme. I don't know if you'll actually like Joop Homme much, but there are an awful lot of sweet scents like Original Santal that wouldn't be around now if Joop Homme hadn't been such a big hit when it first came out.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Ive sampled Joop Homme many times, not nightflight. We must have very different noses because there is absolutley no similarity in my opinion between OS and Joop homme lol. They are both sweet, the story ends there!!!

Suprising because no other scent gets me more compliments than Aventus. I guess any loud scent like joop may get more compliments than Aventus.

Saw you guys talking about Joop's fragrances for men and since I wore Joop Femme for years before I became a perfumista, I bought the three you mentioned for my fella (coincidentally he was buying Joop Homme) and we've just sniffed them together. Here's the verdict, fwiw. We all have different noses:

Joop Homme. Him: It's tame, but if it's the only one you ever had in life, you'd be okay. Her: It's pretty okay, but I don't love, love it.

Joop Jump. Him: A deeper scent. This one would get you through two lifetimes. I like it a lot. Her: Me, too. It doesn't have the sharp note that Homme does. It's smoother.

Joop Nightflight. Him: It's the strongest of them all, but I almost smell detergent in there. Her: I smell detergent, too.

Joop Wild. Him: It's the best one. More complex. Could replace a bath, if necessary. Her: Love it!

For reference, he's presently wearing Dolce & Gabanna The One for men and his wardrobe now consists of:

AdP Colonia Intensa Oud
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Davidoff's Cool Water
    Le Labo Oud 27
    Nasamotto Pardon
    Nasamotto Duro

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post

Joop Nightflight. Him: It's the strongest of them all, but I almost smell detergent in there. Her: I smell detergent, too.
    Funny you should say this. I got Nightflight from a fellow here on BN, based on positive commentary, and I'm afraid it reminds me very strongly of some cleaning product we used in the military... added to a bucket of warm water to mop floors.

Aventus, though not the holy grail, is definitely better. Haven't worn it a lot yet, but it's good enough I expect a compliment at some point
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Saw you guys talking about Joop's fragrances for men and since I wore Joop Femme for years before I became a perfumista, I bought the three you mentioned for my fella (coincidentally he was buying Joop Homme) and we've just sniffed them together. Here's the verdict, fwiw. We all have different noses:

Joop Homme. Him: It's tame, but if it's the only one you ever had in life, you'd be okay. Her: It's pretty okay, but I don't love, love it.

Joop Jump. Him: A deeper scent. This one would get you through two lifetimes. I like it a lot. Her: Me, too. It doesn't have the sharp note that Homme does. It's smoother.

Joop Wild. Him: It's the best one. More complex. Could replace a bath, if necessary. Her: Love it!

For reference, he's presently wearing Dolce & Gabanna The One for men and his wardrobe now consists of:

AdP Colonia Intensa Oud
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Davidoff's Cool Water
    Le Labo Oud 27
    Nasamotto Pardon
    Nasamotto Duro
    Thanks for the insight! I own Jump and enjoy it, but have had my eye on Homme Wild for awhile now...and think I just wanted to hear a womans opinion on it before I pulled the trigger.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have both and actually prefer Nightflight. Nothing "synthetic" about its scent, to my nose.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I saw a few bottles of Joop Wild @ Marshalls I may give it a try...

Wow better than Aventus .must try

Different strokes for different folks.

More people drink Bud Light than Guinness.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Got a bottle of Joop Wild....its def a tropical scent. The opening is just that too wild but I like the dry down. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Last edited by Whitealltrac; 2nd May 2014 at 06:01 PM.

Nightflight is the best of Joop! scents to me, a surprisingly lasting fresh scent that has brought me comments EVERY TIME I've wore it!
    maybe I'll buy a back up bottle of this in future....
    Last edited by nfn1983; 16th August 2014 at 12:49 AM.
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Maybe people nearby loved Aventus but didn't say anything. It doesn't mean the fragrance wasn't pleasant.

Sometimes you have to let things silently make a good impression.

Scents that have gotten me more compliments than Aventus.

Tam Dao
    2 Man
    Hinoki
    Songe D'un Bois D'Ete
    Issey
    Avignon
    Pot Pourri (by SMN)...

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting about.
    Signature Scent