Code of Conduct

Default Do You Miss Your Collection When you Travel?

I haven't left yet, but will be gone just over a month and while I'm bringing along some decants, it is somehow a little sad to leave my pretty bottles behind. What if I NEED the one I didn't bring a decant of. LOL

Yes, I'm being slightly silly, but also a wee bit serious.

How about you, do you have fragrance withdrawal when on extended travel?

Default Re: Do You Miss Your Collection When you Travel?

I personally have never experienced the same feeling of withdrawal you speak of during extended absences. I guess that's because my absences are usually never longer than two weeks at a time.
    (1245)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

No, because it's a hobby that I own and it doesn't own me....I have a handle of it not the other way around.....It will be there , when I come back God willing.....I enjoy my scents but not in an exurbant obsessive way but in a control manner and it's a complement factor to my already joyous life but my joy doesn't depend on the juice , it's just an adornment I thank God I enjoy as a Hobby.....peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I certainly agree with you on thanking God for all the gifts. But alas, I am an exuberant person in just about everything I do so this is no exception. Although it was only a wee little bit of sad rather than weeping and gnashing of teeth. I suppose the fact that I'm so new to this hobby is part of it too. When I was new to scrapbooking, I'd be sad to leave my studio when traveling but now it's no biggie. So the newness is certainly a factor for me.

There never was a novelty attached to perfumes just because it's been second nature since 6 years old.
    Obviously I enjoy it very much but I don't miss it.
    I can relate though Danieq. I did miss diving for example when it got too hot to dive during summer. Because that was new to me.

for swap/sale:

In January I will be on the road for five weeks and I'll take a dozen or so of 2 ml vials with me. This should be fine. I assume I won't use up a single one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I haven't left yet, but will be gone just over a month and while I'm bringing along some decants, it is somehow a little sad to leave my pretty bottles behind. What if I NEED the one I didn't bring a decant of. LOL

Yes, I'm being slightly silly, but also a wee bit serious.

How about you, do you have fragrance withdrawal when on extended travel?
    A little but it passes and I'll be sending you some more anyway so I'm sure your nose will be happily occupied.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Blog Entries

l'm never usually away for more than two weeks at a time either, so this hasn't been an issue for me, but l can understand when it's something new that you're really excited about. ln some ways l enjoy the freedom of only having a small selection of decants to choose from while l'm away. But that's only because l know my collection will still be there when l get back!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

When I travel, I usually take some decants of favs or weather appropriate scents, and then alot of samples to play with. So the travel experience, scent wise, is fun enough to offset missing my bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I haven't left yet
    Best way - buy a new parfum as soon as u land at your destination - that'll keep your mind occupied for a bit, before you need to buy another at the duty free when boarding your return - solves the prob!!!

OR
    You can still modify your travel plans - cancel the flight & go cross country (with your parfums in the Uhaul truck) , saves u all the $$ u'll spend on decant supplies, the precious .00005ml that gets lost hen decanting etc...

If no small bottles or decants are available and there only large bottles available, and also I am away for quite a long time, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Best way - buy a new parfum as soon as u land at your destination - that'll keep your mind occupied for a bit, before you need to buy another at the duty free when boarding your return - solves the prob!!!

OR
    You can still modify your travel plans - cancel the flight & go cross country (with your parfums in the Uhaul truck) , saves u all the $$ u'll spend on decant supplies, the precious .00005ml that gets lost hen decanting etc...
    Ha ha ha, you make me LOL Badarun! And I like the way you think!

I am glad to know someone else can relate. And very thankful for the things to be sent Xscent!

Traveling is a perfect time to use test samples. I don't miss my fragrances as I never leave for too long.

I spend most of my life travelling and take some of my collection with me. God bless Travalo. I usually have about 10-15 of them with me at any time.

Actually, yes.

Good time to try all those little samples!

((Dani)) currently in Paris and mild panic setting in about how i will be able to pack new companions for my collection.

Travelled to Paris with five fragrances ........not sure if that means I am obsessive or can only travel with odd number!

love and prayers

searosesxx
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

When traveling for an extended time - weeks or months - then I miss my collection, even though I take decants and samples and might acquire new bottles. I think I see my collection as an expression of my personality - I also miss certain books or CDs then - rather than a hobby that carries or controls me, it is definitely something I enjoy.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I agree with most..
    As long as you take enough samples/decants of variety you should be ok.
    over a month is a long time though..
    But- I am sure you have 30 that you have not tried yet..

N such occasions I normally get along fairly well with a few decants and samples. They have to be carefully chosen though. I kind of like the reduction of choices which makes things easier. Also it will be easier to connect associations of a trip to a certain smell. All the same I am always happy when I come back home and can sniff through my collection again.

I believe that I ended up packing 20 decants/samples. Should be good but I still wondered, lol. Those little bottles are a kind of 'friend' I suppose. Each speaks a certain message, a language if you will.

For work I have to spend about a week and a half on the road per month and always bring some regular decants (GIT, Forte + Forte, Eau des Baux), and occasionally a sample or two. Inevitably I will want to wear something other than what I packed though, so yes I do tend to miss my little collection. Such is the life of the enthusiast.

I usually bring plenty of samples so there is no problem. Now my watches is another story.

When I travel, it is usually with my sister who is anti-perfume. I bring a couple of rollerballs for a light scent. Otherwise I'm too busy seeing the sights to really care about wearing fragrance.

I'm usually OK. I just have to resist the temptation to pick up something duty free just for the sake of getting/having something rather than getting something I really love.
    Then again, I often spend a couple of days a week scent free and I've never spent more than a couple of weeks away.