Code of Conduct

Thread: anyone like me

Default anyone like me

I got to know about niche in 2004. the only designer i have touched since then is encre noire, if it is considered designer at all .

i wanted to smell different from the guys around me. that was my main reason. crazy i guess.

anyone out there like me?
    Last edited by chocho; 7th December 2013 at 05:57 PM.

Default Re: anyone like me

Many. haha

I like both designer and niche.

Almost every body wants smell different!
    but this kinda vanishes once you acquire huge collection,
    Personally I do not care anymore how I smell to others, I just enjoy what I wear

Branding or names doesn't matter at all cause nobody can see it. They can only smell it.

Basenotes Plus

I tend to gravitate slightly towards niche but still have healthy representation from designer and bargain basement in my wardrobe. As long as something appeals to my nose, price and popularity are of little relevance. Forget about other people and just wear what you enjoy.

The fact that a cologne is popular or categorized as mainstream or niche is not relevant to me. I enjoy and wear the colognes that smell nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    As do I.
    (1270)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    The fact that a cologne is popular or categorized as mainstream or niche is not relevant to me. I enjoy and wear the colognes that smell nice.
    This sums it up for me as well.

Thankfully, both designer and niche fulfilled so far my tastes/craving/curiosity for non-mainstream creativity, originality, uniqueness.

The niche / designer binary just doesn't hold up. I gravitate to experimental / innovative / unusual scents, and one of the greatest, most avant-garde lines out there right now is Comme des Garcons -- a designer brand.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I tend to lean towards niche more but my collection of FB'S is more designer..
    I mainly get niche decants..no need for m to have 50-75-100 ml's of everything!!

C
    Quote Originally Posted by jack hunter View Post
    i like both designer and niche.
    +1.

I'm probably in the minority now a days, especially on BN, preferring designer to niche, not because of pricing, or availability.. Simply because I find many niche fragrances to be unwearable.. Too heavy, too thick, too sticky, etc.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I'm probably in the minority now a days, especially on BN, preferring designer to niche, not because of pricing, or availability.. Simply because I find many niche fragrances to be unwearable.. Too heavy, too thick, too sticky, etc.
    But isn't that more genre based? For example, it doesn't get any more heavy, thick, or sticky than something like A*Men whereas Nu_Be, Escentric Molecules, Fueguia, MDCI, L'Artisan etc. are all doing relatively transparent, subtle, watercolor type scents -- the opposite of heavy, thick, sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    But isn't that more genre based? For example, it doesn't get any more heavy, thick, or sticky than something like A*Men whereas Nu_Be, Escentric Molecules, Fueguia, MDCI, L'Artisan etc. are all doing relatively transparent, subtle, watercolor type scents -- the opposite of heavy, thick, sticky.
    This was my thought too though I understand the fact that some niche just are too weird or not that versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    This
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    To a certain degree. I find that niche perfumes tend to use higher quality ingredients, less synthetics, stronger perfume oils, less alcohol, etc. There are always exceptions, yes A*Men is sickly sweet to a lot of people, and it could probably be rebottled and pass as a niche fragrance easily. But for the most part, this isn't the case in designer fragrances.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure someone out there likes you.

in answer to your real question though....

I think it's part of the learning lifecycle. You're still in the snobby niche stage. Over time you'll come to accept what you like/not and ignore the brands/prices/packaging, etc and reject most of the niche stuff because it's just plain weird and accept a few mainstreams because they're actually pretty good
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I explored niche houses like MPG, amouage, tauer, and found a few I like, but the majority of them are so unwearable it doesn't make much sense with my small collection (10-20 bottles at a time).

I like having lots of niche samples, but as for bottles I prefer versatile niche or quality designers like M7, GPH, Monsieur de Givenchy, Fahrenheit, etc.

There's was a similar thread about 2months ago or so: basically is not about just being designer or niche...it's about artistic quality, expression with innovative blends....there's more then plentyof terrible niches as there ones in the designer genre.....so best bet is to examine through empirical test at what the specific houses on niche (indie) or designer houses bring to the table and you can find scents that are artistically innovative in both camps....but when you name a statement as posted thread you are already closing yourself into a corner and being bias and overall limiting your scope.....peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I'm looking for masterpieces, I really don't care about the label.

Wearing anything at all makes me smell different than other guys - I don't normally smell fragrances on many other people.

Doesn't matter to me either way... It ends up working out where most of the ones I like are niche, but some of the greatest fragrances ever made are designer, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Aw, don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure someone out there likes you.

I was sure someone would jump on this!

encre noire is essentially niche (albeit a very affordable one).

i totally understand why people respect it but its not to my personal taste.

Ditto here, Jon. I have lots of everything from niche to designer to discount store. Agree that we should wear what we enjoy and forget about who wears what. I have no hangups about "signature scents."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

No I wear nonmainstream stuff because I enjoy the effort put into making such an interesting perfume.

for swap/sale:

No. I've got plenty of niche scents but I like getting positive comments, so I don't wear them much.
    Regards,
    Renato

Same here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

Very few designers off late have been very good (exceptions always there), so i have started to buy vintage designers...