Code of Conduct

Default Your thoughts on Guerlain's Songe d'un bois d'ete.

Dear all,

Does anyone of You have experience of Guerlain's Songe d'un bois d'ete?

After checking out reviews and descriptions I have a feeling that it would suit me well but since I have no opportunity to try it, it will have to be a blind-buy.

Comments? Is it similar to any other scent?

/JRV

Default Re: Your thoughts on Guerlain's Songe d'un bois d'ete.

I own this along with the other two in the desert series and I think it's a wonderful scent. I bought them blind after reading the reviews and have no regrets. For similarities with other scents I'll let more experienced Basernoters chime in about this. Good luck!

(1275)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks Hednic! Considering the descriptions this seems to be right up my alley especially now during winter time. It definately leans towards a buy!

/JRV

It's fantastic, but I'm not sure it's a safe blind buy. I'd do everything you can to get a sample first -- especially if you're not used to animalic and somewhat challenging scents. This one's very rich and opulent, but has a distinctly dirty side to it. I think it's one of Wasser's best works.

I sampled this one extensively along with Leather Oud leading up to purchase one of them in Paris. I ended up going with LO, which felt more robust and satisfying. Whilst SDBD is an excellent composition I found it a little too polished and mild mannered in comparison, plus the
    iso-super e hyper dose got a little grating on the senses after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I sampled this one extensively along with Leather Oud leading up to purchase one of them in Paris. I ended up going with LO, which felt more robust and satisfying. Whilst SDBD is an excellent composition I found it a little too polished and mild mannered in comparison, plus the
    I'd give LO the edge, too.

Thanks for all your input!

I did try a quick sniff of LO a few months ago and that was a nice experience. Never gave it a full wearing though...

I'll do my best to get hold of a sample of Songe.

I will push myself far and say Songe D'Un Bois D'Etè is a masterpiece. A safe blind buy? I never blind buy anything...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

If you like Incense/Oriental smells,

The Desert D'Orient triology is really the best you can get in the market. Something really unique

I don't know whether it is a safe blind buy, but I find it easier to wear than Leather Oud.

Wonderful potent leather, patchouli and burnt agarwood scent. A little dirtiness to it, but nowhere near as barnyardy as LO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It's fantastic, but I'm not sure it's a safe blind buy. I'd do everything you can to get a sample first -- especially if you're not used to animalic and somewhat challenging scents. This one's very rich and opulent, but has a distinctly dirty side to it. I think it's one of Wasser's best works.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I will push myself far and say Songe D'Un Bois D'Etè is a masterpiece. A safe blind buy? I never blind buy anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I don't know whether it is a safe blind buy, but I find it easier to wear than Leather Oud.

Wonderful potent leather, patchouli and burnt agarwood scent. A little dirtiness to it, but nowhere near as barnyardy as LO.
    I agree that this is great stuff. All of the really hardcore Guerlainistas seem to REALLY love it.

I'm a Guerlain lover, but I tend to go for tamer stuff. When I smelled this, I hesitated, and then jumped for Shanghai, which is much more my style.

I will say this - you would probably not have difficulty moving on a bottle if you didn't like it, and it would likely age rather well, too.

I like Songe d'un Bois. Leather Oud is similar but bolder.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I like Songe d'un Bois. Leather Oud is similar but bolder.
    I agree, Songe is nice and smokey and shares similarities with Leather Oud but weaker and less "dirty"... I think it's the best from the deserts d'orient trio!

Basenotes Plus

Songe d'un Bois d'Ete is indeed a masterpiece. The simplest way I can describe it is by saying it's a 'cleaner' version of Dior Leather Oud. Both are 'modern stinkers', LO is just darker, more edgy, more difficult to like if you are not into this genre. The Guerlain Songe is much easier to pull off, though both share a fair amount of skank. The good kind. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I'd give LO the edge, too.
    Me too. Although LO animalistic side is challenging.
    Songes can b a bit screechy in the drydown. Not a safe blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    If LO didn't exist , I'd be happy with the Guerlain.
    But I prefer LO out of the two.

Also, thoroughly agree with the ISO E SUPER being a tad bit too much.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Songe d'un Bois d'Ete is indeed a masterpiece. The simplest way I can describe it is by saying it's a 'cleaner' version of Dior Leather Oud. Both are 'modern stinkers', LO is just darker, more edgy, more difficult to like if you are not into this genre. The Guerlain Songe is much easier to pull off, though both share a fair amount of skank. The good kind. :-)
    Agree, I'd be happy to own both

Smells great, dark, dry, rich, resinous, serious but comfortable. Richness without heaviness, luxury without an iota of vulgarity. One of the most satisfying if not the most satisfying fragrance I own. Doesn't hurt that everyone I know and don't know loves it. Like to wear it a lot more than Leather Oud, which is excellent aside from the over reliance of in your face, in your space, other people's space, pervasive cloud of aromatic cardamom. Leather Oud blew me away from samples. Wearing it was a different story. Tired of it quickly. Still, another a great fragrance. Love the animalics.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th January 2014 at 01:18 AM.

It's an adventure, a complete breakthrough for Guerlain to drop something like this into our laps, probably nothing since Djedi has been so 'un Guerlain' - kudos to Thierry Wasser. More complex (and satisfying, to me) piece of work than Leather Oud and hence better for the longhaul IMO - LO is superb but a bit of a one-liner for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    It's an adventure, a complete breakthrough for Guerlain to drop something like this into our laps, probably nothing since Djedi has been so 'un Guerlain' - kudos to Thierry Wasser....
    Just hoping they drop a few more like it !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Just hoping they drop a few more like it !
    Wasser is a young punk! He's got a few more to send into the grandstands!

Of all the oud-based fragrances I've sampled (and there have been quite a few), Songe D'Un Bois D'Ete is the standout. I'll echo Alfarom and say that it is a masterpiece.

It is dense and powerful, like the wake of an aircraft carrier But it somehow does not overpower the wearer or those around him. I consider it to be the setting star of the oud craze.

That being said, it is absolutely NOT a safe blind buy, given its complexity and price.
    Current Favorites:

1. Chanel Antaeus (vintage)
    2. Chanel Egoiste (vintage)/Cologne Concentree
    3. CdG Incense Avignon
    4. Arabian Oud Kalemat
    5. Polo (vintage)
    6. Le Troisieme Homme de Caron
    7. Tauer Une Rose de Kandahar
    8. Ungaro III (vintage)
    9. Bulgari Black
    10. Rasasi Royale

Not safe Blind Buy at all. Smells like B.O. to me

Safe blind buy: most likely not. Good, even great fragrance: in my opinion, yes. Heavy and almost heady, intoxicating yet without ever getting too loud or overpowering a moderate and subtle sweetness and spiciness, with such a variety of notes and developments that it's hard to pinpoint it within a single established fragrance category.

Basenotes Plus

I agree that it is not a safe blind buy. For a fumehead I think it is an amazing experience though. I purchased a decant of it blind and am very glad I did. Aside from complexity, the longevity and silage from this beauty is a beast. I have never had the pleasure of smelling Leather Oud but if it is anything like Songe, I will definitely have to sniff it out!
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    It's an adventure, a complete breakthrough for Guerlain to drop something like this into our laps, probably nothing since Djedi has been so 'un Guerlain' - kudos to Thierry Wasser. More complex (and satisfying, to me) piece of work than Leather Oud and hence better for the longhaul IMO - LO is superb but a bit of a one-liner for me.
    I dont have a ton of experience with Guerlain though I have tried most of the classics. I will agree that this smells nothing like any of those that I have sniffed.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather