Code of Conduct

Default Incense recommendation

I would like to buy a fragrance to myself on Christmas and I was thinking in a incense / frankincense based scent, with quality materials, original but something versatile. To make you an idea of my tastes, I liked Memoir Man, Messe de Minuit (old bottle), Shaal Nur, I disliked Jubilation XXV, Epic Man. Passage D'Enfer is nice but too way fleeting and light...

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Incense recommendation

Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Azzaro Visit
    Gucci Pour Homme (2003)

- I also like Memoir Man and dislike Jubilation.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Calling All Angels by April Aromatics

Basenotes Plus

Avignon
    by Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense
    21900.jpg
    No Frankincense but lots of Incense
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ― Oscar Wilde

I also dislike Jubilation XXV and Epic, but love Memoir Man, so we might be on the same wavelength.

I'm a huge fan of heavy, liturgical incense, and so here's a quick breakdown of some of my favorites:

Norma Kamali Incense -- Very hard to find now, but totally worth it if you can.
    CdG Avignon -- Total game changer in modern fragrance. It's incense that's calmed by chamomile.
    CdG's 2MAN -- A touchstone for modern perfumery.
    Jovoy's La Liturgie des Heurres -- affinities to Avignon, but with a slight boozy twist.
    Sonoma Scent Studio's Incense Pure -- a rich, artisinal take on the genre.
    Tom Daxon's Resin Sacra -- The best from an otherwise crappy line. It's a dusty incense.
    Slumberhouse's Vikt -- Exceptional licorice / fennel incense.
    Armani's Bois d'Encens -- A tad too close to Avignon, but great all the same.
    Tom Ford's Sahara Noir -- The best thing they've done in years.

The one's that I sort of dislike are Heeley's Cardinals, the Tauer incenses, and the Kilian attempts.
    Last edited by deadidol; 7th December 2013 at 07:42 PM.

The one that comes to mind first is Sahara Noir...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

You can't go wrong with Full Incense.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Sahara Noir - literal frankincense

for swap/sale:

Incense - Full Incense
    Frankincense - The one mentioned above my post
    (1280)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Comme des Garcons 2 Man is my favorite incense. Sonoma Scent Studio Incense Pure if you want something that is more of a raw interpretation of the note itself.

Comme des garons: Incense series

A different take from every scent, they are very affordable and the quality is top notch.

Pretty amazing smelling Avignon and how they were able to mimic the smell of an old church with the scent, could easily be a $150.

Blog Entries

+1 for Avignon, hands down. 2Man is good too, but I much prefer Avignon. Runner up: Bois d'Encens. Keep in mind that these are more straight up "smoldering incense" fragrances than just frankincense though.

Avignon is friendlier than Bois d'Encens in my opinion. And cheaper.
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Which notes go with incense in Avignon?

Ouarzazate is a nice spicy incense option as well if you want something warm and spicy with incense. Avignon is too cold/dark churchy for my tastes. Not sure what you prefer.

I had a bottle of Ouazarzate and I liked a lot; but it was very short lived on me so sold! What about Jailsamer?

Ya Avignon really gives off this cold, dark vibe and many don't like it because of that but I really love it.

Kyoto, along with Avignon are the best from the line. Kyoto has a lot more going on with the patchouli and immortal flower.

I'll also recommend Dior Fahrenheit Absolute, lots of incense and myrrh. Might be a good one for you.

If you want a cheapie similar to Ouarzazate that lasts forever definitely pick up a bottle of Maubassin M Generation! It's an incredibly long lasting spicy/warm incense similar to Ouarzazate that lasts 8+ hours. Easily pick up a 100ml bottle for $40.

Avignon is the first thing that came to my mind. I don't think anyone's mentioned Timbuktu; it's not really a churchy incense, but I think it's original and versatile, and good quality materials.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post

CdG Avignon -- Total game changer in modern fragrance. It's incense that's calmed by chamomile.
    Jovoy's La Liturgie des Heurres -- affinities to Avignon, but with a slight boozy twist.
    Tom Daxon's Resin Sacra -- The best from an otherwise crappy line. It's a dusty incense.
    These would have been basically my picks as well but I will add...

Bois D'Ascese (extremely smoky and deep)
    Profumum Olibanum (stark at first but incredibly comfortung during the drydown with a tremendous liturgical vibe)
    Nu_Be Oxygen (abstract, sparkling, avant)
    Aesop Mystra (minimalistic mastic-frankincense combo with dark green facets)
    CDG Odeur 71 (minty frankincense + xerox toner - when it comes to *avant* stuff, this is still unbeatable IMO)
    CDG for H&M (metallic frankincense)
    Mille Harris En Sens De Bois (carrot seeds + woods + resins)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sahara Noir is a pure, full-on burning frankincense extravaganza. Avignon is cooler, fresher, more natural in a way. I also love La Fumee by Miller Harris.

The La Fumee series is based around Somali Incense not Omani frankincense.

Avignon is Omani frankincense + something else.
    It is not purely frankincense as in Bois d'Encens & Sahara Noir for example.

Perhaps Catholics who spent time at a church can elaborate on the accompanying accord.

for swap/sale:

Try Guerlain Desert D'Orient triology.

Also, Incense Oud by Killian.

If you want something cheaper, CdG WonderWood

I didn't get ANY incense from WonderWood. I know it's in the note profile on Fragrantica, but honestly I got mostly sandalwood...not even the slightest hint of incense.

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post

If you want something cheaper, CdG WonderWood

Bentley for Men Intense

Banned
    Blog Entries

Montale Full Incense
    Messe De Minuit by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The La Fumee series is based around Somali Incense not Omani frankincense.

Avignon is Omani frankincense + something else.
    It is not purely frankincense as in Bois d'Encens & Sahara Noir for example.

Perhaps Catholics who spent time at a church can elaborate on the accompanying accord.
    I sniffed some raw Yemeni myrrh the other day - it had that Seville orange note I get from Avignon.

How does Somali frankincense differ from other kinds? It's supposed to be the best - is it richer? I get a warm, gummy vibe from La Fumee which must be the cistus.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I didn't get ANY incense from WonderWood. I know it's in the note profile on Fragrantica, but honestly I got mostly sandalwood...not even the slightest hint of incense.
    My perception of incense seems different.
    The common form of incense is the Indian sticks style.
    Over here, we do not use these sticks.
    We use homemade incense which is an industry in its own.
    Some of the raw materials used range from Oud wood, scented wood powder to pure cardamom (yes, cardamom).

So, personally, any woody smell, is considered incense by me.

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    I sniffed some raw Yemeni myrrh the other day - it had that Seville orange note I get from Avignon.

How does Somali frankincense differ from other kinds? It's supposed to be the best - is it richer? I get a warm, gummy vibe from La Fumee which must be the cistus.
    Myrrh is different from frankincense.

They're both resins but different.

Omani frankincense is differnt from Somali Incense.

I personally prefer Omani frankincense. It just smells better to me.

But Somali incense is fun too. But between fumigating either of the two at home, Omani frankincense just smells better to me.

for swap/sale:

OP, why not go for the real thing?

I mean real incense.

Did you know that amouage produces incense for: XXV & GOLD?

I bought it in 2010,

I am not sure if it still in production

Sahara Noir : Churchy Frankincense to the bone, accentuated with amber in the beginning and delicious beeswax in the drydown.

I also think it's versatile (to my pleasant surprise), as the frankincense never gets sharp or cold-hearted. It stays smooth and inviting throughout the entire journey.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 8th December 2013 at 11:12 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Yeah, but they're both ingredients of Catholic incense, hence, I suppose, they're both in Avignon.

You have some great recommendations from experienced noses above.
    fwiw, to this newb, Sahara Noir is a knock out incense. And is on my Buy List

- - - Updated - - -

Omani frankincense is differnt from Somali Incense.

I personally prefer Omani frankincense. It just smells better to me.

But Somali incense is fun too. But between fumigating either of the two at home, Omani frankincense just smells better to me.
    Hi Hedonist,
    Trust from your earlier post that you view Sahara Noir as a good representation of Omani frankincense. What do you suggest to a newb for a good expression of Somali incense and also, myrrh?

My personal favorite incense is Cardinal by Heeley. It is quite similar to Avignon, but it is not as heavy. I've only sampled it once or twice, but Montale's Full Incense is beautiful.

If you are looking for a masterpiece, you may want to go back and try Jubilation XXV again. I didn't like it at first, but then I acquired a generous large decant from a local niche fragrance shop in my area, and after a few days, went out and bought a bottle full retail because it grew on me. I think it's perfect for this time of year.
    Last edited by BRM85282; 8th December 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Basenotes Member

You could try Odin 07 Tanoke, an incense grounded in earthy wood and enlightened by bitter orange. It's great imo.
    It does't have that "soapy" vibe i unfortunately get from the "classics" like Avignon or cardinal.

Jubxxv

Quote Originally Posted by fhayat View Post
    Jubxxv
    +1 Sublime, array of notes of composition meeting Joy at Avenue Junction...it's just amazing at how so many notes can play and synchronize sublimely....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Sahara Noir is a very old world liturgical frankincense, but not my favorite incense. I like TDC Oud Shamash for its spice and ncense feel. Some others that would make a great Xmas gift to self are Oliver Durbano Black Tourmaline (black frankincence +smoke) or Citrine (lemony frankincense). Of course CDG Avignon, Jaisalmer or Ourzazate are worthy as well. anat Fritz Tzora is a scintillating light incense style fragrance.

Wow so many replies, thank you...

My opinin of Amouage XXV is very negative I had a 5ml sample and tried so many times... I considered it nice but boring and uninspired... for that $$$ I prefer honest and interesting fragrances as Shaal Nur, for example.

I'm looking an incense frag versatile enough to wear almost daily with some interesting twist but still wereable... not too churchy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    I'm looking an incense frag versatile enough to wear almost daily with some interesting twist but still wereable... not too churchy!
    Well, that knocks out about 75% of what's been suggested above!

Dzongkha: beautiful, decidedly odd Himalayan incense (no frankincense or myrhh)
    La Fumee: incense but not churchy: warm and enveloping, resinous
    Wazamba: Dutch appelstroop, conifer, incense

Avignon leads as my favorite. I like Jubilation XXV, CDG 2Man, Kyoto & Interlude Man. I have just purchased Eau des Baux by L'Occitane and I think this one is very highly rated incense fragrance.

Absolue Pour le Soir, or Cologne Pour le Soir if you want something lighter.

PastedGraphic-1 copy 2.jpg

warm and sexy incense
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 9th December 2013 at 03:53 AM.
    When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.

Jean Klein

For "non-churchy" incense, I'd say go for Gucci pour Homme (the brown juice in the heavy glass bottle).http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121989.html

I also dislike Jubilation XXV and Epic, but love Memoir Man, so we might be on the same wavelength.

I'm a huge fan of heavy, liturgical incense, and so here's a quick breakdown of some of my favorites:

The one's that I sort of dislike are Heeley's Cardinals, the Tauer incenses, and the Kilian attempts.
    +1 for Sahara Noir, the moment I sprayed it I was reminded of my beloved Gucci pour homme (2003) but with more strength and change in the base. Thinking of blind buying an amouage fragrance before this because I already own gucci pour homme

- - - Updated - - -

+1 for Sahara Noir, the moment I sprayed it I was reminded of my beloved Gucci pour homme (2003) but with more strength and change in the base. Thinking of blind buying an amouage fragrance before this because I already own gucci pour homme

Yeah, but they're both ingredients of Catholic incense, hence, I suppose, they're both in Avignon.
    I didnt say it doesn't have myrrh.

I answered your query about differences among Myrrh, Somali & Omani Frankincense.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    You have some great recommendations from experienced noses above.
    fwiw, to this newb, Sahara Noir is a knock out incense. And is on my Buy List

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Hedonist,
    Trust from your earlier post that you view Sahara Noir as a good representation of Omani frankincense. What do you suggest to a newb for a good expression of Somali incense and also, myrrh?

Sahara Noir & Bois d'Encens are exemplary models for olibanum (Omani frankincense).

La Fumee & Bois d'Ascece are excellent for Somali Incense.

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens for myrrh.

For a nice blend of Omani incense & Myrrh try L'Eau Trois by Diptyque.

for swap/sale:

I didnt say it doesn't have myrrh.
    No, I know you didn't. I was making the point that, just in terms of the churches I've been to, Catholic incense tends to be lighter, with more emphasis on myrhh, than Orthodox - and I have no experience of the Middle Eastern use of incense so I'm staying out of that!

Do you recommend La Myrrhe?

No, I know you didn't. I was making the point that, just in terms of the churches I've been to, Catholic incense tends to be lighter, with more emphasis on myrhh, than Orthodox - and I have no experience of the Middle Eastern use of incense so I'm staying out of that!

Do you recommend La Myrrhe?
    Ok I see your point.

I highly recommend La Myrrh.
    Also , it's not dense like some Serge Lutens.

Another good myrrh is Myrrh et Delires Guerlain.

for swap/sale:

Another suggestion that I can make is getting some attars from middle east. They can be the best thing close to the incensy smell or the way mosques, temples and monasteries smell in different regions all across Asia.

Sahara Noir & Bois d'Encens are exemplary models for olibanum (Omani frankincense).

La Fumee & Bois d'Ascece are excellent for Somali Incense.

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens for myrrh.

For a nice blend of Omani incense & Myrrh try L'Eau Trois by Diptyque.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Profumum Olibanum (stark at first but incredibly comfortung during the drydown with a tremendous liturgical vibe)
    So would that be Eastern liturgical or Western liturgical? If you're not able to discern the difference, that's understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    My personal favorite incense is Cardinal by Heeley. It is quite similar to Avignon, but it is not as heavy. I've only sampled it once or twice, but Montale's Full Incense is beautiful.

If you are looking for a masterpiece, you may want to go back and try Jubilation XXV again. I didn't like it at first, but then I acquired a generous large decant from a local niche fragrance shop in my area, and after a few days, went out and bought a bottle full retail because it grew on me. I think it's perfect for this time of year.
    Another Cardinal fan, here! I also love Eau des Baux.

Quote Originally Posted by major_works View Post
    So would that be Eastern liturgical or Western liturgical? If you're not able to discern the difference, that's understandable.
    I'm not sure what you mean by Eastern or Western liturgy but it smelled very frankincense (Omani incense) dominant than Avignon.

for swap/sale:

Fortnight ago I wore Piguet's Casbah to work. Colleague who doesn't know anything about fragrance (I don't think) commented that I smelled of an incense dispenser at mass...or a room full of new furniture. Anyway, I find Casbah fairly easy to wear though it's a hard-core affair if that makes sense.