Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default What puts you off about a house?

Bond trying to trademark the word Peace..
    I believe they were trying to sue another house for using the word.

Very snobbyish and scumbaggish to me..
    Also very lame scents from Ed Hardy consecutively..

I am not a hater but J. LO having 20 scents-ridiculous

Default Re: What puts you off about a house?

What puts me off about a house is when a decision is made to only release a fragrance to a limited geographic market.
    (1305)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Weird scent for the sake of being weird alone.

And overly sexual marketing, ala Slumberhouse. I was interested in that house until I saw their websites lewd images. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    And overly sexual marketing, ala Slumberhouse. I was interested in that house until I saw their websites lewd images. No thanks.
    I never noticed that about Slumberhouse. The store page was surprising!

Houses that lie about their back story and sound snobbish put me off immediately. In the end though, I will still wear their scents (Creed) if I like them enough.

Blog Entries

OMG!

I have not been following the house that closely, but cheapening the act seems VERY unlike Josh. I know that sex is a great marketing tool for perfume, but the rotisserie job - even in silhouette, was WAY too much.

I think that a barely sexualized steampunky thing (Victorian edgy with just a hint of sex), like on the opening page, can intrigue without offending, while truthfully representing the fragrances.

But don't be Tom Ford unless you ARE Tom Ford! Josh! Please tone it down!!!! No penises, please. Eaumahgah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Bond trying to trademark the word Peace..
    I believe they were trying to sue another house for using the word.

Very snobbyish and scumbaggish to me..
    Also very lame scents from Ed Hardy consecutively..

I am not a hater but J. LO having 20 scents-ridiculous
    Bond has learned to avoid those horrorshow PR mistakes. THANK G_D. But yeah - totally hear you.

I like J. Lo Deseo for Men, but 20 scents at this stage is pretty ridiculous, I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    What puts me off about a house is when a decision is made to only release a fragrance to a limited geographic market.
    (1305)
    This is an annoyance, for sure. I do like it when alternatives to get them exist. The Creed Boutique is a brilliant solution that way.

I understand that fragrance houses want to leverage geography as a way to generate exclusivity without price, but it needs to be done with a safety valve, IMO. One benefit to worldwide shipping from your exclusivity point is the popularization of boutiques on an international basis. That is going to bring in the travelers. Sure, it's only available in one place, but if they ship internationally and don't hide that fact, it's a way of eliminating displeased customers in your worldwide clientele.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I have not been following the house that closely, but cheapening the act seems VERY unlike Josh. I know that sex is a great marketing tool for perfume, but the rotisserie job - even in silhouette, was WAY too much.

I think that a barely sexualized steampunky thing (Victorian edgy with just a hint of sex), like on the opening page, can intrigue without offending, while truthfully representing the fragrances.
    Take a look who the photographer is -- that's far more interesting than the subject

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Take a look who the photographer is -- that's far more interesting than the subject
    WTF :1/0smiley:

Speechless.

- - - Updated - - -

I gotta go to bed. With that, g'nite!

[And one more favor, G_d. Please don't let fragrance be taken over by Wikileaks, the CIA, NSA, military, communists, or North Korea. Maybe Creed. Not so sure about Bond no.9. Amen.]

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the first smile of the day

Wow that Slumberhouse.

Its quirky and fun when Etat Libre d'Orange do it the way they do it (no pun intended) but that rotisserie on slumberhouse.com ....

What puts me off about perfume houses is only offering 50ml bottles.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

A combination of previous negative experience and tacky marketing - I expect little nowadays from the likes of Paco Rabanne, Calvin Klein, and Hugo Boss, apart from overtly sexual advertising campaigns promoting generally lousy products.

Basenotes Plus

Lousy, generic (and overpriced) products for me.

Weird marketing and strange smelling fragrances in a attempt to be different.

The Blood Concept Range of fragrances are a good example of this. I mean the name and concept is just really off putting to me to say the least.

Hi, danieq. I didn't even notice it until after I'd placed my order and went back to check. I was surprised, but not more. Personal opinion in response to yours. After much pondering, I've concluded one of society's great maladies is that it teaches us to abhor the natural functions of our bodies. Youtube was a boon in that respect. One day I happened on a video of a monkey (ahem) masturbating. I was actually quite shocked (I'm a city girl), but for me curiosity trumps all. I went into private browsing mode to avoid any chance of unwanted email and investigated. Turns out people have been posting animal sex like mad! Hysterical. In a way, it shows our determination to be free and discover truth -- if not via ourselves then other species, if necessary. I watched and learned an amazing truth. Everything humans do sexually animals do, too. Everything! Including what's on the Slumberhouse website. I already knew that animals compete to mate, like we do, form and maintain relationships and bonds, singularly and in groups. Only difference? They enjoy their bodies. No guilt, no neuroses. Just another perspective, FWIW. Like our perfume sniffs, this subject is exclusively personal opinion.

To me, Slumberhouse is an adventurer (is it really one person?). Maybe I wouldn't put up a website like that, but I don't mind that they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I have a feeling that by the time I'm done with my learning mode sniffs, I'm going to agree with you.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 8th December 2013 at 03:16 PM.

Trying to avoid being put off by a house entirely, generally or exclusively, since most fragrance houses might still manage to have one (or more) redeeming feature (s), but more importantly, scent (s).

Yet an ultimate deal breaker would probably be a combination between vacuous marketing claims, combined, at the same time, with little or no customer service, no steady quality, including in terms of ingredients and quality control, becoming more and more generic, discontinuing too much of the "good stuff" (provided, they had good fragrances in the first place) just in order to reach their profit margins with lesser quality but more non-challenging, more socially acceptable, less individuality sort of scents.

What I find very unappealing is lack of originality and subpar materials, though I think this rings true for me outside of fragrances and into most other products I purchase.

Wow, hadn't seen that before - impressive! I can't really get too excited about it. I may submit the text on the 'About' page as an entry to the Poseur Alert competition, though.

@Marketmaker, welcome to BN, hope you enjoy.

1. Jumping on the oud train, for a buck.
    2. Using sex as a marketing strategy(exception is ELDO, done with tongue firmly implanted in cheek)
    3. Extremely abstract notes. Including lighning accord, fog on rocks, blood accord and so on.
    4. The use of drug slang (China White anyone)
    5. As was noted by previous posters Blood Concept frags, and very cheap synthetic notes.
    6. Fragrances that seemed to be designed by committee(after focus groups, of course)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Wow, hadn't seen that before - impressive! I can't really get too excited about it. I may submit the text on the 'About' page as an entry to the Poseur Alert competition, though.
    ROTFL, thats priceless, thanks for the link.
    What did Obi-Wan say to Luke at the dinnertable?
    Use the fork, Luke.

Nothing really if the scents are good. I am put off by bad scents. I just have to laugh at houses that claim to use natural ingredients when we know that they use man made ingredients from a beaker like (nearly) all houses do.

As for Slumberhouse's use of sexual imagery, I can't see the whole picture(s) on my smart phone. I guess he needs to size his background images so I can see the whole picture. But put off by it even if I could see it? No!!! As a photographer that holds Robert Mapplethorpe in the highest regard I can not imagine being put off by anything...
    Last edited by Akahina; 8th December 2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Hi, danieq. I didn't even notice it until after I'd placed my order and went back to check. I was surprised, but not more. Personal opinion in response to yours. After much pondering, I've concluded one of society's great maladies is that it teaches us to abhor the natural functions of our bodies. Youtube was a boon in that respect. One day I happened on a video of a monkey (ahem) masturbating. I was actually quite shocked (I'm a city girl), but for me curiosity trumps all. I went into private browsing mode to avoid any chance of unwanted email and investigated. Turns out people have been posting animal sex like mad! Hysterical. In a way, it shows our determination to be free and discover truth -- if not via ourselves then other species, if necessary. I watched and learned an amazing truth. Everything humans do sexually animals do, too. Everything! Including what's on the Slumberhouse website. I already knew that animals compete to mate, like we do, form and maintain relationships and bonds, singularly and in groups. Only difference? They enjoy their bodies. No guilt, no neuroses. Just another perspective, FWIW. Like our perfume sniffs, this subject is exclusively personal opinion.

To me, Slumberhouse is an adventurer (is it really one person?). Maybe I wouldn't put up a website like that, but I don't mind that they did.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling that by the time I'm done with my learning mode sniffs, I'm going to agree with you.
    Yeah, it's just one person behind the scenes. And I totally agree with your take.

The industry is overrun with sexualized images that are frankly way more offensive in their implicit gesturing of "if you wear Gucci Guilty, you too can be surrounded in naked flesh" or the quasi-rape "Unforgiveable Woman" ad that features a woman getting slammed up against a wall. The image on the SH site is from a series of photographs by a known (and highly controversial) underground artist; and like all good art, it's jarring, gets a strong reaction, and rattles some bones (like the scents). If you find Appelbaum's images disturbing, I'd steer clear of modern art galleries

ELdO's take on mocking the largely disgraceful and offensive imagery that floods the perfume industry was equally irreverent—transformation into the art itself. That was a stroke of genius! I'm wired to think critically about mainstream advertising (because of the line of work I'm in), so 80% of commercial advertising for modern perfumery is truly despicable to me (peddling crap to an unsuspecting public)—but that's largely because I'm trained to read between the lines.

For me, I really try to avoid writing off an entire brand (the whole Herbert Spencer "contempt prior to investigation" thing), but there are some lines who know exactly who their audience is and I'm simply not it (Bond, Creed etc,) But the faux-luxury / finer things in life approach will always be a turn off to me as I'm an art-nerd at heart who finds gross displays of materialism and wealth to be off-putting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    As a photographer that holds Robert Mapplethorpe in the highest regard I can not imagine being put off by anything...
    I've taught Mapplethorpe before, and what tends to happen is that people are initially aghast by some of the images, but are able to recognize their aesthetic qualities. Then they get used to what they see in them and don't find them nearly as troubling. Then they question why they were even shocked in the first place by what are simple images of the human body (and its limits). And then they become furious when it dawns on them that they've been conditioned by some puritan mindset that's imposed upon them and operates outside of their own moral structure. Mapplethorpe's highly instructive in this sense.

Lobb would be the first to tell he you that he largely rejects the perfume industry and what it stands for, and that what he does is aesthetic, sensory art, pure and simple. He has little interest in making scents for "smelling nice" or "getting stuff" and is mainly out to cause strong aesthetic reactions. I only wish there were far more people in the industry with these convictions (although there are certainly some -- I'm looking at you, O'Driù).
    Last edited by deadidol; 8th December 2013 at 07:02 PM.

If I purchase one scent that is hard to wear, I am reluctant to try another from the same house. I am ambivalent about Chergui, so I'm avoiding Lutens for now. I know I might be missing out...

Basenotes Plus

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    If I purchase one scent that is hard to wear, I am reluctant to try another from the same house. I am ambivalent about Chergui, so I'm avoiding Lutens for now. I know I might be missing out...
    Chergui, while not a bad scent, is one of the worst examples of what Lutens offers. But if that's hard to wear for you, then yes, that line might be tricky as Chergui is probably one of the safer ones.

For some strange reason, the Slumberhouse graphic doesn't bother me (although I question why they'd choose to use it) but Tom Ford's advertising and attitude is a different story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/fa...ml?ref=tomford
    http://www.bellasugar.com/Love-Hate-...ampaign-626923
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sexi...w=1024&bih=610

Prices and wack flankers.

I just looked at the Slumberhouse website, but since I do most browsing on my iPad I didn't see much that was terribly lewd. Maybe I need to use my laptop. I thought that all the images appeared quite professional, and my guess is that Josh is making money at his business and can afford to upgrade the appearance of his website. A perfume company that uses lewd, or maybe I should say "common" images is House of Sillage. Last summer I was looking into their website and was turned off by the greased-up, uber-busty babes, and pretty beefcake that were used for advertising. One image suggested a bondage situation. I didn't like that, but I do absolutely enjoy wearing Emerald Reign. I dunno. At least Slumberhouse went for something interesting and sort of unusual to promote the product. Edwardian and Steampunk imagery is very appealing to me so there you have it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    What puts me off about perfume houses is only offering 50ml bottles.
    That can be VERY annoying. When I fall hard for a scent, I want enough to spray, decant to atomizers, and trade with abandon. If it's only in a small size, it had better be strong stuff, or a high concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    A combination of previous negative experience and tacky marketing - I expect little nowadays from the likes of Paco Rabanne, Calvin Klein, and Hugo Boss, apart from overtly sexual advertising campaigns promoting generally lousy products.
    There are so many "disposable" fragrances out there now. I tend to dispose before I purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Weird marketing and strange smelling fragrances in a attempt to be different.

The Blood Concept Range of fragrances are a good example of this. I mean the name and concept is just really off putting to me to say the least.
    Yes - difference for its own sake is pretty easy - being different and actually saying something is hard. I'm glad that fragrance has some players who do the blatantly different stuff, but my interest is more likely to fall on somebody with a more subtle and thoughtful difference, and a more worked-out expression of the idea

Quote Originally Posted by marketmaker View Post
    What I find very unappealing is lack of originality and subpar materials, though I think this rings true for me outside of fragrances and into most other products I purchase.
    Sub-par materials are creeping into even some of the best and most talent-driven fragrances. I hesitate to name names, because if people aren't noticing, I don't want to spoil their pleasure. But the palette is in trouble, and technology falters in keeping up with the rules. The artists are not being listened to, either.

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    @Marketmaker, welcome to BN, hope you enjoy.

1. Jumping on the oud train, for a buck.
    2. Using sex as a marketing strategy(exception is ELDO, done with tongue firmly implanted in cheek)
    3. Extremely abstract notes. Including lighning accord, fog on rocks, blood accord and so on.
    4. The use of drug slang (China White anyone)
    5. As was noted by previous posters Blood Concept frags, and very cheap synthetic notes.
    6. Fragrances that seemed to be designed by committee(after focus groups, of course)

- - - Updated - - -

ROTFL, thats priceless, thanks for the link.
    Oud train - I hear you.

I enjoy the message as part of the whole fragrance, so sexual aspects to marketing not only don't bother me - I like them. But I appreciate subtlety, class, and truth in the fluffing of the brand.

To me, fragrance is not just art - at least not 7 days of the week. I have my art days, and on other days, I just want to smell good. But fragrance is also about smelling good to other people, and not always for no reason. I want to enjoy the whole package, and cheat myself out of none of it. So in a bizarre way, even though I have no real need for the Acqua di Gio models with six-pack abs, they are a necessary part of something greater, which I accept in its totality just because it's wonderful that such things exist. Not sure that makes sense. Maybe it's just the music in Starbucks that's making me feel this way.

Yeah, the "literary" notes. I'm waiting for "dark and stormy oud".

Focus group fragrances, for sure. Or even if it's something else, the lack of smart purpose. Take Bleu de Chanel. There is no way that the idea for it came out of Polge's head as "Let's make a huge mainstream fragrance today." He surely got some kind of direction. And if that purpose came from a bunch of marketroids after listening to a bunch of focus groups, I would not be surprised at all. But Polge clearly knew how to pull a rabbit out of the hat, and make something salable to American males, that he could be proud of, even when tasked with "make something that competes directly with everything else in Macy's".

Then compare to Lady Gaga's scent. Damn. There are a gazillion ways that could have come out better on the fragrance end. Bottle? Perfect. Black disappearing fluid? Genius. Scent? I smell too many chefs spoiling that broth. This is one that screamed for Gaga, perfumer, and some artistic director in a room, and everybody accepts what comes out, no matter what.

... If you find Appelbaum's images disturbing, I'd steer clear of modern art galleries
    Really, I don't think that's fair. Quite thankfully, the modern art world is not one big Mapplethorpe exhibit.

For me, I really try to avoid writing off an entire brand (the whole Herbert Spencer "contempt prior to investigation" thing), but there are some lines who know exactly who their audience is and I'm simply not it (Bond, Creed etc,) But the faux-luxury / finer things in life approach will always be a turn off to me as I'm an art-nerd at heart who finds gross displays of materialism and wealth to be off-putting.
    I agree - it's important not to write anybody off, but when it takes effort, sometimes one just has to pick and choose. There are literally hundreds of house choices, and thousands of fragrances.

Luxury doesn't really work for me, except as a certain implication of quality (which experience may send crashing to the ground in a single sniff). I do enjoy a certain amount of house self-fluffing, though, just for its association with fragrance history.

I've taught Mapplethorpe before, and what tends to happen is that people are initially aghast by some of the images, but are able to recognize their aesthetic qualities. Then they get used to what they see in them and don't find them nearly as troubling. Then they question why they were even shocked in the first place by what are simple images of the human body (and its limits). And then they become furious when it dawns on them that they've been conditioned by some puritan mindset that's imposed upon them and operates outside of their own moral structure. Mapplethorpe's highly instructive in this sense.
    I have to deal more with my self-imposed puritanism. But to get there, I did have to get rid of the previous installation, and then consider the alternatives.

Lobb would be the first to tell he you that he largely rejects the perfume industry and what it stands for, and that what he does is aesthetic, sensory art, pure and simple. He has little interest in making scents for "smelling nice" or "getting stuff" and is mainly out to cause strong aesthetic reactions. I only wish there were far more people in the industry with these convictions (although there are certainly some -- I'm looking at you, O'Driù).
    In that sense, then I agree that his graphics do make some kind of sense. I just think that, on first inspection, the sexuality appears to be less considered, and more like a bad imitation of what everybody else does. Maybe I'm just not a true Slumberhouseperson!

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    For some strange reason, the Slumberhouse graphic doesn't bother me (although I question why they'd choose to use it) but Tom Ford's advertising and attitude is a different story:

I have never figured out why he does what he does with women in his ads. Sometimes it seems brilliant (like in some of his glasses ads), but other times, it just seems that he manipulates the women like mannequins, and perhaps that's the whole problem.

Really, I don't think that's fair. Quite thankfully, the modern art world is not one big Mapplethorpe exhibit.
    I apologize; I didn't mean for that to come across as snarky. I work in the arts, so "difficult" art rarely surprises me any more. But a recent visit to MOMA gave me a bit of a run for my money with a couple of their temporary installations

Anyhow, back on topic -- sorry for the derailment!

Blog Entries

I apologize; I didn't mean for that to come across as snarky. I work in the arts, so "difficult" art rarely surprises me any more. But a recent visit to MOMA gave me a bit of a run for my money with a couple of their temporary installations

Anyhow, back on topic -- sorry for the derailment!
    No problem - and thanks! I will admit that the last really good modern art exhibit I saw was in Texas, and - well - everything good, but nothing difficult.

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't the photography so much as the graphics which I felt crossed the line. The photography is quite striking and while I may not have chosen it, I didn't take issue with it. I don't think of human beings as animals, though I realize that is a less popular opinion at present, and I don't agree personally that all of the things our human bodies do 'naturally' are suitable for advertising. In particular as there is such a tremendous amount of sexual exploitation that takes place around the globe (think about the billion dollar sex trade where children are kidnapped and sold into sexual slavery) it seems irresponsible to use these types of images knowing that such images lead to sexual exploitation more often then most people ever consider. The stats are quite alarming on human trafficking but most people are completely uniformed.

I suppose you can call anything you want art but giving it such a label doesn't really make it untouchable in my opinion, nor does it make it good. Why use something that may alienate anyway? Are there no other original ideas available that lewdness becomes the only viable option?

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post

Wow! I had no idea TF used such images. Not a fan of that either. But, as has been pointed out, many houses, probably most, use sex as that seems to be what sells.

dumb names to get people's attention: breath of god, french lover, and fat electrician

And I'd have to agree with the many responders who mention poor scent being a turn off.

Another thing I've noticed is sameness of scent amount a houses offerings. I realize that a lot of houses seem to have a certain signature feel to them which is fine, but it wonder where is the line between maintaining the house signature and 'everything smells the same'.

oh two more things

1. specific-note fragrances. they're like the christmas albums of fragrances.

2. royal marketing. aka olivier creed made erolfa for moses before he seperated the sea

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    dumb names to get people's attention: breath of god, french lover, and fat electrician
    I really despised the name "Breath of God" until I smelled the fragrance - and was hit right in the face with the "burning bush" accord. At that point, all was forgiven. But yeah. And I cannot say "French Lover". Uh-uh. I refuse!!! Only "Bois d'Orage" will leave these lips.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    I actually love the irreverence of these names -- anything that mocks the stupidity and faux-seriousness of the industry is a-okay in my book! I'll take a "Don't Get Me Wrong Baby" or a "Alan Cumming" over some laughable free-floating descriptor like "Guilty" or "Intention" or "Passion." I'm all about the creativity and imagination of the former as opposed to the complete vacuity of the latter (both in the scent and the name).

Hi danieq. Biologically, of course, we are animals; its a scientific fact and equating sexuality with criminality seems ... odd. I'm really not up to speed on what's happening in perfume advertising. My remarks only concerned the Slumberhouse site and its products, which I found bold and in at least two instances stunning. I think pushing boundaries is important because boundaries often suppress truth and strangle growth. The rigid sexual mores of my youth, for instance, ruined many innocent lives. That's why, unless criminal behavior really is involved, I prefer erring on the side of tolerance, allowing adults to do and advertise pretty much as they please. That lets Slumberhouse depict a slightly risqué sex act if they choose, lets me love their perfumes, while drawing whatever lines I like about such behavior in my own life (which happens to mean my guy can totally forget doing anything like that with my knowledge). In my experience, suppression is far more dangerous.

I was trying for an FYI that reading the word "lewd" harshly applied to that lovely website caused the same visceral negative response in me that the artwork did in you. Again, it isn't necessary, or even possible, that we all agree on such a subject, so I probably shouldn't have said anything.

Anyway, I found it far less shocking than what's on TV at night these days. More than once we've found ourselves watching cable, our mouths hung open in total surprise.

- - - Updated - - -

I really despised the name "Breath of God" until I smelled the fragrance - and was hit right in the face with the "burning bush" accord. At that point, all was forgiven..,
    Note to self: get sample of Breath of God.

You can buy a medium sized bottle of the stuff for about $15 -- it's excellent.

Thanks! I will.

Blog Entries

I actually love the irreverence of these names -- anything that mocks the stupidity and faux-seriousness of the industry is a-okay in my book! I'll take a "Don't Get Me Wrong Baby" or a "Alan Cumming" over some laughable free-floating descriptor like "Guilty" or "Intention" or "Passion." I'm all about the creativity and imagination of the former as opposed to the complete vacuity of the latter (both in the scent and the name).
    Truly, Gucci Guilty isn't guilty of anything. It's not guilty of borrowing the wife's lingerie like Kenzo Power. It's not guilty of boozing it up with hookers like Boisé Torride. It's not even guilty of rifling through the wife's purse like PG Cuir d'Iris! If anything, Gucci Guilty is guilty of lying about its Rose Poivrée love life!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi danieq. Biologically, of course, we are animals; its a scientific fact and equating sexuality with criminality seems ... odd. I'm really not up to speed on what's happening in perfume advertising. My remarks only concerned the Slumberhouse site and its products, which I found bold and in at least two instances stunning. I think pushing boundaries is important because boundaries often suppress truth and strangle growth. The rigid sexual mores of my youth, for instance, ruined many innocent lives. That's why, unless criminal behavior really is involved, I prefer erring on the side of tolerance, allowing adults to do and advertise pretty much as they please. That lets Slumberhouse depict a slightly risqué sex act if they choose, lets me love their perfumes, while drawing whatever lines I like about such behavior in my own life (which happens to mean my guy can totally forget doing anything like that with my knowledge). In my experience, suppression is far more dangerous.

I was trying for an FYI that reading the word "lewd" harshly applied to that lovely website caused the same visceral negative response in me that the artwork did in you. Again, it isn't necessary, or even possible, that we all agree on such a subject, so I probably shouldn't have said anything.

Anyway, I found it far less shocking than what's on TV at night these days. More than once we've found ourselves watching cable, our mouths hung open in total surprise.
    I'm probably a bit prudish about art, but I'm not prudish about the First Amendment. As I like to say, "Your liberty is my liberty."

Totally agree with you, although I'd only point out that "Alan Cumming" is actually the guy's name, not an attempt to mock anyone's faux-seriousness!

And I cannot say "French Lover". Uh-uh. I refuse!!! Only "Bois d'Orage" will leave these lips.
    I just tell people I'm wearing "Francophile."

They get a twisted half-truth and I save face.
    Paris*L.A. is an excellent new gourmand from A Lab On Fire. If you're looking for a fun, new fragrance for this winter, check it out!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear, I didn't intend to imply it should be legislated against or that freedom ought to be restricted. I agree that not much good comes from restricting liberty in such matters, regardless of your particular opinion on the matter. I was just answering the OP's question as to what puts me, personally off of a particular house. And you are absolutely right, the range of opinion can be expected to be quite broad and varied. I could tell you lots of stories as to why I hold mine in particular, but I will refrain. All that to say, no worries mate! Cheers!

Well, I was nearly knocked over upon smelling this one so I guess it is aptly named, lol.

Basenotes Plus

Pesonally think that this sort is not brilliant, it's all relative.....

Prices. Also if I have tried 1 or 2 of their products and they were weak. Soccer players, rappers, etc.

Pesonally think that this sort is not brilliant, it's all relative.....

Good lord! How did I miss that one? Hysterical. Guess it's because I don't watch much TV, and when I do I skip commercials. Makes me wonder: 1) how did they find so many women to do the commercial? and 2) did it have the unintended effect of turning off women who saw it and found a guy they knew wearing the perfume? I sure wouldn't have dated anyone who wore it. To me it says: I'm a rake.

Guess it paved the way for more extreme things like that Blurred Lines music video, a real shocker. Shaking my head, I told my guy about it. Simple charity. He appreciated the info since he likes to keep up with social trends. Where they found beautiful women to do that one, I will never know.

Basenotes Plus

If it were not for Basenotes, it would have been unknown to me also, ScentFan!

The Beauty industry spends astronomic amounts on marketing 'though so 2) above would be a cool result ;)

Oh dear, I didn't intend to imply it should be legislated against or that freedom ought to be restricted. I agree that not much good comes from restricting liberty in such matters, regardless of your particular opinion on the matter. I was just answering the OP's question as to what puts me, personally off of a particular house. And you are absolutely right, the range of opinion can be expected to be quite broad and varied. I could tell you lots of stories as to why I hold mine in particular, but I will refrain. All that to say, no worries mate! Cheers!
    Me, too! As you can guess, it's one of my hot topics. Sounds like we could have a cool private chat. Drop a PM if you wanna. Have a good, my friend.

Paco's 'Invictus' bottle

ELdO actually backpedalling with their funny names and getting 'serious'

Gucci seriously 'selling out'

When they rarely make anything worth owning. Includes most of them these days, no matter how great the fantasy behind it, the hype, or how much it costs.

I think it's very unfortunate for Slumberhouse to use this tack and imagery. And I don't associate with Traitors either.

Wow!
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I'm generally put off by houses that have too vast ranges, maybe with sub-ranges where you get lost just trying to figure out what's what.
    Ex: Xerioff, - I've never even understood the topography of its various lines- I didn't put too much effort in it, to be completely honest! . Add the exotic names of the fragrances and the marketing target, due to its prices.. OK, no, not me!
    Also, I'm put off by houses that offer only big bottles- as someone else previously stated here I don't want to be outlived by my fragrances!

(Re Slumberhouse site: on my phone screen I couldn't see anything strange... on PC it took me some time to realize what I was looking at -I'm quite a lazy watcher, sometimes!- funny, I guess I'd never noticed, if you didn't tell me! )
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Regarding the Slumberhouse website I find the language that is used in this thread more off-putting than any picture I can see on their site. Rotisserie. I am almost speechless. Rotisserie. Skewered, lifeless, consumable flesh.
    Language can be so violent. And sadly, language constitutes reality.

High price points.
    Sexist marketing.
    Ephemeral sillage.
    Abstract accords.
    Geographical exclusivity.

Most importantly though, it has to be the waning culture of leaving consumers out of the loop, or infantilizing the public about perfume practices. In 2013, the industry has grown leap and bounds. It's the houses that engage with their consumers that will thrive in the future.

The sooner they realize that the alchemical mystery of perfumery is dead, the better.

Mostly when niche release mainstream compositions.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 11th December 2013 at 06:06 PM.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    And I don't associate with Traitors either.
    Pfft, good one!

Honestly, the only thing that puts me off of a house are the scents themselves. I don't buy into marketing much. If I've been unimpressed by a few of their scents, I'm reluctant to try the rest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    Regarding the Slumberhouse website I find the language that is used in this thread more off-putting than any picture I can see on their site. Rotisserie. I am almost speechless. Rotisserie. Skewered, lifeless, consumable flesh.
    Language can be so violent. And sadly, language constitutes reality.
    My apologies for disturbing you by that. I really wish the graphic had been something more deserving of the term ménage à trois. I briefly considered euphemizing it to that, but ultimately, I felt that it deserved the least that I could give it, and I used an intentionally insulting term. I know that the artist may be underground and controversial, but it strikes me as not much different from what I see in rest stops, or saw in the notebooks of delinquents in junior high school. I used a term from the lexicon of those crowds, as a way to drive home that point. It was done with the intent of throwing out a huge wake-up call to Slumberhouse - but I guess I'm the one who actually needs to wake up on where the art world has gone.

I'm getting the impression that I'm just not cut out to be a Slumberhouse person, and that this graphic is not some kind of error. Therefore, my objections to all things Slumberhouse are withdrawn. Party on. I'll stick to my side of the Scent Bar from now on.

Thanks for your response, Redneck Perfumisto and for describing your thought process.

I think Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier have some fantastic perfumes, but I'll admit, I'm completely turned off from them by their bottles. They get a pass too often in this regard, when there's really no excuse for those things. I don't think anybody would be to unhappy if MPG completely revamped the look of their bottles.
    Paris*L.A. is an excellent new gourmand from A Lab On Fire. If you're looking for a fun, new fragrance for this winter, check it out!

This whole thread puts me off from perfume, LOL. I am boycotting everyone!

There are plenty of things that I don't like but..

what I DO like is a perfume house that just sticks to scent and that's it, Ineke is a great example of that.
    "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." -Mark Twain

Blog Entries

There's a certain type of lowest-common-denominator appeal that a lot of houses go for (Aquatic woody ambers for men, fruity florals or marshmallow fluff "fruitchoulis" for women). When I see a line that's composed largely of these, I usually pass. It's a quick way to eliminate a lot of unremarkable filler and save my sampling time for more interesting stuff. Honestly, if Hugo Boss or Tommy Hilfiger ever put out something truly amazing, I don't think I'd even notice.

There's a niche version of this as well - Lines that put out niche cliches (they've got a lipstick iris and a smoky incense and a white floral and a citrus with woods) instead of really bringing anything new to the table. Ramon Monegal is a good example of this - all of them smell familiar if you've smelled enough scents. Oh, and every new line Barneys has brought in over the last two years. It just all feels like more of the same.

Also, on the niche end, so many houses just put out too much stuff. If you put out a new scent or a new set of 4 scents every month, we all know they're not going to be that good, plus you're not giving me time to keep up.

There's also expensive for its own sake. Lines like Xerjoff strike me as a bunch of expensive ingredients prepared by an inexperienced chef. The same goes for Agonist.

Oh, and natural perfume lines that think they're saving the world....
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??