Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: What puts you off about a house?

And I'd have to agree with the many responders who mention poor scent being a turn off.

Another thing I've noticed is sameness of scent amount a houses offerings. I realize that a lot of houses seem to have a certain signature feel to them which is fine, but it wonder where is the line between maintaining the house signature and 'everything smells the same'.

Banned
    Blog Entries

oh two more things

1. specific-note fragrances. they're like the christmas albums of fragrances.

2. royal marketing. aka olivier creed made erolfa for moses before he seperated the sea

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    dumb names to get people's attention: breath of god, french lover, and fat electrician
    I really despised the name "Breath of God" until I smelled the fragrance - and was hit right in the face with the "burning bush" accord. At that point, all was forgiven. But yeah. And I cannot say "French Lover". Uh-uh. I refuse!!! Only "Bois d'Orage" will leave these lips.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    dumb names to get people's attention: breath of god, french lover, and fat electrician
    I actually love the irreverence of these names -- anything that mocks the stupidity and faux-seriousness of the industry is a-okay in my book! I'll take a "Don't Get Me Wrong Baby" or a "Alan Cumming" over some laughable free-floating descriptor like "Guilty" or "Intention" or "Passion." I'm all about the creativity and imagination of the former as opposed to the complete vacuity of the latter (both in the scent and the name).

Hi danieq. Biologically, of course, we are animals; its a scientific fact and equating sexuality with criminality seems ... odd. I'm really not up to speed on what's happening in perfume advertising. My remarks only concerned the Slumberhouse site and its products, which I found bold and in at least two instances stunning. I think pushing boundaries is important because boundaries often suppress truth and strangle growth. The rigid sexual mores of my youth, for instance, ruined many innocent lives. That's why, unless criminal behavior really is involved, I prefer erring on the side of tolerance, allowing adults to do and advertise pretty much as they please. That lets Slumberhouse depict a slightly risqué sex act if they choose, lets me love their perfumes, while drawing whatever lines I like about such behavior in my own life (which happens to mean my guy can totally forget doing anything like that with my knowledge). In my experience, suppression is far more dangerous.

I was trying for an FYI that reading the word "lewd" harshly applied to that lovely website caused the same visceral negative response in me that the artwork did in you. Again, it isn't necessary, or even possible, that we all agree on such a subject, so I probably shouldn't have said anything.

Anyway, I found it far less shocking than what's on TV at night these days. More than once we've found ourselves watching cable, our mouths hung open in total surprise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I really despised the name "Breath of God" until I smelled the fragrance - and was hit right in the face with the "burning bush" accord. At that point, all was forgiven..,
    Note to self: get sample of Breath of God.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    You can buy a medium sized bottle of the stuff for about $15 -- it's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Thanks! I will.

Blog Entries

I actually love the irreverence of these names -- anything that mocks the stupidity and faux-seriousness of the industry is a-okay in my book! I'll take a "Don't Get Me Wrong Baby" or a "Alan Cumming" over some laughable free-floating descriptor like "Guilty" or "Intention" or "Passion." I'm all about the creativity and imagination of the former as opposed to the complete vacuity of the latter (both in the scent and the name).
    Truly, Gucci Guilty isn't guilty of anything. It's not guilty of borrowing the wife's lingerie like Kenzo Power. It's not guilty of boozing it up with hookers like Boisé Torride. It's not even guilty of rifling through the wife's purse like PG Cuir d'Iris! If anything, Gucci Guilty is guilty of lying about its Rose Poivrée love life!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi danieq. Biologically, of course, we are animals; its a scientific fact and equating sexuality with criminality seems ... odd. I'm really not up to speed on what's happening in perfume advertising. My remarks only concerned the Slumberhouse site and its products, which I found bold and in at least two instances stunning. I think pushing boundaries is important because boundaries often suppress truth and strangle growth. The rigid sexual mores of my youth, for instance, ruined many innocent lives. That's why, unless criminal behavior really is involved, I prefer erring on the side of tolerance, allowing adults to do and advertise pretty much as they please. That lets Slumberhouse depict a slightly risqué sex act if they choose, lets me love their perfumes, while drawing whatever lines I like about such behavior in my own life (which happens to mean my guy can totally forget doing anything like that with my knowledge). In my experience, suppression is far more dangerous.

I was trying for an FYI that reading the word "lewd" harshly applied to that lovely website caused the same visceral negative response in me that the artwork did in you. Again, it isn't necessary, or even possible, that we all agree on such a subject, so I probably shouldn't have said anything.

Anyway, I found it far less shocking than what's on TV at night these days. More than once we've found ourselves watching cable, our mouths hung open in total surprise.
    I'm probably a bit prudish about art, but I'm not prudish about the First Amendment. As I like to say, "Your liberty is my liberty."

Totally agree with you, although I'd only point out that "Alan Cumming" is actually the guy's name, not an attempt to mock anyone's faux-seriousness!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    And I cannot say "French Lover". Uh-uh. I refuse!!! Only "Bois d'Orage" will leave these lips.
    I just tell people I'm wearing "Francophile."

They get a twisted half-truth and I save face.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear, I didn't intend to imply it should be legislated against or that freedom ought to be restricted. I agree that not much good comes from restricting liberty in such matters, regardless of your particular opinion on the matter. I was just answering the OP's question as to what puts me, personally off of a particular house. And you are absolutely right, the range of opinion can be expected to be quite broad and varied. I could tell you lots of stories as to why I hold mine in particular, but I will refrain. All that to say, no worries mate! Cheers!

Well, I was nearly knocked over upon smelling this one so I guess it is aptly named, lol.

Basenotes Plus

Pesonally think that this sort is not brilliant, it's all relative.....

Prices. Also if I have tried 1 or 2 of their products and they were weak. Soccer players, rappers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Pesonally think that this sort is not brilliant, it's all relative.....

Good lord! How did I miss that one? Hysterical. Guess it's because I don't watch much TV, and when I do I skip commercials. Makes me wonder: 1) how did they find so many women to do the commercial? and 2) did it have the unintended effect of turning off women who saw it and found a guy they knew wearing the perfume? I sure wouldn't have dated anyone who wore it. To me it says: I'm a rake.

Guess it paved the way for more extreme things like that Blurred Lines music video, a real shocker. Shaking my head, I told my guy about it. Simple charity. He appreciated the info since he likes to keep up with social trends. Where they found beautiful women to do that one, I will never know.

Basenotes Plus

If it were not for Basenotes, it would have been unknown to me also, ScentFan!

The Beauty industry spends astronomic amounts on marketing 'though so 2) above would be a cool result ;)

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Oh dear, I didn't intend to imply it should be legislated against or that freedom ought to be restricted. I agree that not much good comes from restricting liberty in such matters, regardless of your particular opinion on the matter. I was just answering the OP's question as to what puts me, personally off of a particular house. And you are absolutely right, the range of opinion can be expected to be quite broad and varied. I could tell you lots of stories as to why I hold mine in particular, but I will refrain. All that to say, no worries mate! Cheers!
    Me, too! As you can guess, it's one of my hot topics. Sounds like we could have a cool private chat. Drop a PM if you wanna. Have a good, my friend.

Paco's 'Invictus' bottle

ELdO actually backpedalling with their funny names and getting 'serious'

Gucci seriously 'selling out'

When they rarely make anything worth owning. Includes most of them these days, no matter how great the fantasy behind it, the hype, or how much it costs.

Paul Kiler

I think it's very unfortunate for Slumberhouse to use this tack and imagery. And I don't associate with Traitors either.

Wow!
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I'm generally put off by houses that have too vast ranges, maybe with sub-ranges where you get lost just trying to figure out what's what.
    Ex: Xerioff, - I've never even understood the topography of its various lines- I didn't put too much effort in it, to be completely honest! . Add the exotic names of the fragrances and the marketing target, due to its prices.. OK, no, not me!
    Also, I'm put off by houses that offer only big bottles- as someone else previously stated here I don't want to be outlived by my fragrances!

(Re Slumberhouse site: on my phone screen I couldn't see anything strange... on PC it took me some time to realize what I was looking at -I'm quite a lazy watcher, sometimes!- funny, I guess I'd never noticed, if you didn't tell me! )
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Regarding the Slumberhouse website I find the language that is used in this thread more off-putting than any picture I can see on their site. Rotisserie. I am almost speechless. Rotisserie. Skewered, lifeless, consumable flesh.
    Language can be so violent. And sadly, language constitutes reality.

Máscara Almizclado

High price points.
    Sexist marketing.
    Ephemeral sillage.
    Abstract accords.
    Geographical exclusivity.

Most importantly though, it has to be the waning culture of leaving consumers out of the loop, or infantilizing the public about perfume practices. In 2013, the industry has grown leap and bounds. It's the houses that engage with their consumers that will thrive in the future.

The sooner they realize that the alchemical mystery of perfumery is dead, the better.

Mostly when niche release mainstream compositions.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 11th December 2013 at 05:06 PM.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    And I don't associate with Traitors either.
    Pfft, good one!

Honestly, the only thing that puts me off of a house are the scents themselves. I don't buy into marketing much. If I've been unimpressed by a few of their scents, I'm reluctant to try the rest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    Regarding the Slumberhouse website I find the language that is used in this thread more off-putting than any picture I can see on their site. Rotisserie. I am almost speechless. Rotisserie. Skewered, lifeless, consumable flesh.
    Language can be so violent. And sadly, language constitutes reality.
    My apologies for disturbing you by that. I really wish the graphic had been something more deserving of the term ménage à trois. I briefly considered euphemizing it to that, but ultimately, I felt that it deserved the least that I could give it, and I used an intentionally insulting term. I know that the artist may be underground and controversial, but it strikes me as not much different from what I see in rest stops, or saw in the notebooks of delinquents in junior high school. I used a term from the lexicon of those crowds, as a way to drive home that point. It was done with the intent of throwing out a huge wake-up call to Slumberhouse - but I guess I'm the one who actually needs to wake up on where the art world has gone.

I'm getting the impression that I'm just not cut out to be a Slumberhouse person, and that this graphic is not some kind of error. Therefore, my objections to all things Slumberhouse are withdrawn. Party on. I'll stick to my side of the Scent Bar from now on.

Thanks for your response, Redneck Perfumisto and for describing your thought process.

I think Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier have some fantastic perfumes, but I'll admit, I'm completely turned off from them by their bottles. They get a pass too often in this regard, when there's really no excuse for those things. I don't think anybody would be to unhappy if MPG completely revamped the look of their bottles.

This whole thread puts me off from perfume, LOL. I am boycotting everyone!

There are plenty of things that I don't like but..

what I DO like is a perfume house that just sticks to scent and that's it, Ineke is a great example of that.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

There's a certain type of lowest-common-denominator appeal that a lot of houses go for (Aquatic woody ambers for men, fruity florals or marshmallow fluff "fruitchoulis" for women). When I see a line that's composed largely of these, I usually pass. It's a quick way to eliminate a lot of unremarkable filler and save my sampling time for more interesting stuff. Honestly, if Hugo Boss or Tommy Hilfiger ever put out something truly amazing, I don't think I'd even notice.

There's a niche version of this as well - Lines that put out niche cliches (they've got a lipstick iris and a smoky incense and a white floral and a citrus with woods) instead of really bringing anything new to the table. Ramon Monegal is a good example of this - all of them smell familiar if you've smelled enough scents. Oh, and every new line Barneys has brought in over the last two years. It just all feels like more of the same.

Also, on the niche end, so many houses just put out too much stuff. If you put out a new scent or a new set of 4 scents every month, we all know they're not going to be that good, plus you're not giving me time to keep up.

There's also expensive for its own sake. Lines like Xerjoff strike me as a bunch of expensive ingredients prepared by an inexperienced chef. The same goes for Agonist.

Oh, and natural perfume lines that think they're saving the world....
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??