Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Versatile grassy / green / leafy fragrances with extremely long-lasting sillage?

I'm looking for a green fragrance that smells like broken stems, leaves, freshly cut grass, clean, that's versatile and lasts a long time. Also with sillage & projection that lasts a very long time. Not talking about monster sillage after the 5 hour mark, an elbow's length of projection after 5 hours together with long lasting scent trails will be great. I'm thinking 212 herrera for men but I can't find this one anywhere so I can't sniff it. Don't want to offend too many people with it so it needs to be versatile One with a merciful price range would be great too haha. Think about it being as strong as fleur du male or kouros (but nothing that smells like kouros it's offensive in my world..), any thoughts?

Default Re: Versatile grassy / green / leafy fragrances with extremely long-lasting sillage?

I just started wearing L'Ombre dans L'eau EDT by Diptyque. It fits your description perfectly. It's been a nice break from orientals and heavy perfumes for me.

Default Re: Versatile grassy / green / leafy fragrances with extremely long-lasting sillage?

Encre Noir! The End!

Nu Green by Honore Des Pres perhaps.
    (1324)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Possibly also:

Sisley Eau de Campagne
    some of the Guerlain Auqa Allegoria range, especially the Herba Fresca variation
    Horizon by Guy Laroche

Dyptique Philosykos (probably the budget one out of this bunch)
    Byredo Pulp
    Byredo Oud Immortel
    Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Man
    Nasamatto Hindu Grass
    Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage

Yatagan has an arresting vegetal note. As it goes, it becomes more woody. Not particularly easy to find, but not expensive when found.

I also second Ombre dans l'eau, exactly like snapping something green. It does have some added sweetness, though.

cacio

Green notes can be fairly unstable and ephemeral in general. The whole "fresh cut grass" effect that was popular in the late '90s and early 2000s had similar issues in that sense (see Gap "Grass"). You might want to look to scents that are using orrisroot, although that note can be kind of dirty. Lutens' Iris Silver Mist is quite brisk, as is Slumberhouse's Grev.

Jo Malone Cassis and wild fig
    Philosykos
    Hermes un Mediterranean

...not sure about those Byredos recommended by the last poster. They don't smell green and leafy at all to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nu Green by Honore Des Pres perhaps.
    (1324)
    can't find that one coz it's still relatively new
    Quote Originally Posted by ANGIESDOEBOY View Post
    Encre Noir! The End!
    and wow has encre noir been reformulated? because it's so cheap! also, what's the projection/sillage power on encre noir?

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Green notes can be fairly unstable and ephemeral in general. The whole "fresh cut grass" effect that was popular in the late '90s and early 2000s had similar issues in that sense (see Gap "Grass").
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by velgasius View Post
    and wow has encre noir been reformulated? because it's so cheap! also, what's the projection/sillage power on encre noir?
    It's long lasting because the compound is made up of like 50% Iso E Super. It's a very dark, moody scent though (hence the name "black ink"). It's always been cheap because it's made with just a handful of inexpensive aroma chemicals (vetiverol acetate, IES).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    What do you mean?
    "Fresh Cut Grass" notes that are crisp and bright tend to have small molecules akin to citrus scents, which is why the effect is generally used more as a top note. Citrus in fragrance works the same way for the same reasons, and for a true grass effect to last well, it needs a lot of support from other ingredients (chems, roots etc).

One that I did run into recently that I found to hold up well (due to the way it's structured as an oil) is L'Essence se Mastenbroek's Eau de Polder.

I got good longevity with 212 Men, which smells of fresh cut green grass.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It's long lasting because the compound is made up of like 50% Iso E Super. It's a very dark, moody scent though (hence the name "black ink"). It's always been cheap because it's made with just a handful of inexpensive aroma chemicals (vetiverol acetate, IES).

- - - Updated - - -

"Fresh Cut Grass" notes that are crisp and bright tend to have small molecules akin to citrus scents, which is why the effect is generally used more as a top note. Citrus in fragrance works the same way for the same reasons, and for a true grass effect to last well, it needs a lot of support from other ingredients (chems, roots etc).
    How does it project & does it leave a scent trail? Kind of looking for a new polo green but the reformulated one is just bad....or maybe it's just the new one I bought? Has anyone experience the new polo green as weak?

and does 212 men still leave scent trails after a while?

Oriza L. LeGrand Chypre Mousse fits your description to a Tee. Highly recommended.

How does it project & does it leave a scent trail? Kind of looking for a new polo green but the reformulated one is just bad....or maybe it's just the new one I bought? Has anyone experience the new polo green as weak?
    Encre Noire doesn't project that much, but it does have solid sillage. It's not fresh though (although it is brisk). Some people describe it as smelling burned, but to me it just smells like a fake vetiver (which is what it is). It is great for the price, though.

You might want to look up Gap Grass as it's on ebay for dirt cheap. It's a dated scent now as it was very popular a while back, but it might be what you have in mind.

One I did try recently, though, was "Green" by Terveer. Hilariously, it's a $185 for 7.5ml at Barney's, but in the store, they give you free sample bottles to try which are 2.5ml! The scent is garbage though and suffers from the usual problems associated with grass effects in that it's gone fast.

I googled it and found that gap grass has been discontinued an on ebay, the shipment price makes it as expensive as buying a dior homme intense without shipping here haha. I'm going to try sniffing encre noir though, got anything suggestions of one that's probably like encre noir but fresh? I don't want to still be loud past the 5 hour mark but I want solid sillage really looking forward to smelling it

but I don't get what you meant there, isn't brisk like....fresh?

I haven't worn it in a couple years, but I gave it to my brother and when he wears it I can definitely smell it. It projects nicely.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Frags that are Violet Leaf heavy can smell a lot like cut grass, but in my experience, Violet Leaf notes don't last. Give Eau de Cartier Concentrée, Aqua Fahrenheit or some of the DSquared He Wood frags a try.

Banned
    Blog Entries

212 I agree-projects like a beast..
    Also Paul Smith Man is solid

Grey Flannel
    Fahrenheit
    Oscar For Men
    Horizon
    Catlyst
    Aspen
    Cool Water

I'll second Grey Flannel for something with a oomph. Papyrus De Ciane is another fantastic alternative and it's pretty long lasting too. I see you're basically after longevity and silage, otherwise Calamus would have probably been one of the best options to check. As a general suggestion, check stuff that contains galbanum which is one of the most tenacious leafy-green notes.

Here are a bunch more that might be worth checking out...

Huitieme Art Aube Pashmina
    Sisley Eau De Campagne
    Eau D'Italie Jardin Du Poete
    Les Nez The Unicorn Spell
    Parfumerie Generale Jardin De Kerylos
    Vero Profumo Mito

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

How about Lorenzo Villoresi Spezie?
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

There's a good versatile grassy / green / leafy fragrance with extremely long-lasting sillage out there, and it is called Trophee Lancome

Original Vetiver

Two classic 'green' fragrances not mentioned yet: Vent Vert and Bandit.

My favourite green fragrances are L'Ombre dans L'Eau and Eau de Lierre, but I would never describe them with the phrase "extremely long lasting sillage".
    As mentioned above, green leafy scents tend to be relatively ephemeral.

Eau de Campagne is another one I've been meaning to sample for a long time.

Can I suggest Fahrenheit - grassy\green\leafy indeed and with amasing lasting power

Timbukto comes to mind immediately

A lot of great recommendations in this thread, I also recommend:

Paradis Perdu by Frapin (dark green, mossy jungle)

Zegna Essenza (fresh cut grass)

I would also like to find similar scent.

I will comment on some fragrances mentioned in this thread, that I own or sampled.

Encre Noire - this one smells like dark grass, not exactly fresh and happy, but longevity is good. You may like it but its not fresh cut grass smell.

Bois D'Orage - this is indeed very herbal and natural smelling. Longevity on my skin could be better (especially for prices tag which is more than 100 euros for 50ml bottle). Its not grass smell, but it has green vegetal vibe (especially on top)

Yatagan - it is kinda green but also bit dirty. Not exactly clean green smell, its more like woody scent with lot of personality. For masculine guys only!

Aqua Fahrenheit - I sampled it yesterday and still have some on my shirt. Its more like lighter version of original Fahrenheit. I like it but I would not call it green.

Timbuktu - like encre noire, it has prominent vetiver note that is green, but there is more going on. IMO there is as much incense as vetiver. Its very unique and I would not blind buy it.

I am surprised that nobody mentioned Mugler Cologne yet... top notes of Mugler Cologne for me is what I imagine to be fresh cut grass smell. Unfortunately its only top notes and it became more floral overtime.
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme - is absolutely what you seek.
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Lancome Hypnose Homme - to me has a bit of a haystack vibe. It doesn't get much love around here but I think it's a fine fragrance.

I agree. Hypnose is a good one. A sleeper IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme - is absolutely what you seek.
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Lancome Hypnose Homme - to me has a bit of a haystack vibe. It doesn't get much love around here but I think it's a fine fragrance.

NR for him..that violet leaf is very prominent and very grassy and terrain at times one me and a monster on the sillage dept....also CH 212 original is good choice....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Imaginary Authors The Soft Lawn ?

Fresh-cut grass for sure. Extremely green.

There are some long lasting green notes in Amouage Memoir Man, Dior's Granville, and a few of the more sappy releases by slumberhouse.

My favorite green is Jo Malone's Wild Fig and Cassis. I know, the line is not famous for longevity... but this release chugs on for a while. A similar greenery (fig note) is found in Byredo´s Pulp... but that one gets a bit syrupy sweet for my liking.

Not for all but another good and long-lasting green (maybe too green... as it blends the dark forest with a minty brightness) is Tauer´s pentachord series: Verdant
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Something relatively inexpensive and not mentioned much here on BN is Lush's SMELL OF WEATHER TURNING...Amazing longevity and sillage and has the smell (to me) of fresh cut green grass after an afternoon rain storm...Smoky, grassy forest type scent....Has a slight MINT but not toothpaste mint, but its in there too...Very cool, calming and unique...its about 55 dollars online but I get compliments on it lots and people constantly ask me what I'm wearing....Its not for the "safe scent" folks though....Kind of challenging but not really....I love it
    Last edited by FSU92grad; 17th December 2013 at 02:17 AM.

The hardest part of fulfilling your search is the long lasting aspect. 2 green grassy and leafy scents are worth a try: Angelique Sous La Pluie and Jardin Sur Le Toit - but longevity may not be past 5 hours for these.

A couple of greenies that last much longer but have more woods mixed in and are beautiful fragrances are: Frapin Paradis Pardu and Anat Fritz Original.

Basenotes Plus

Chez Bond passes the "freshness" test but fails on the "merciful price range" test I'm afraid..
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Gentiane Blanche. Green beyond belief. Unfortunately, I have a bottle.

Freshly bent branches? Boudicca Wode (Scent) - I had this one, it smelled like you just bent back a sapling's branch, but in an appealing way. Fresh, green as all get out... with a very dry juniper and florals bringing up the rear.

Heck, I miss it actually...

+1 212 Men. This is what I was thinking as I was reading OP. I do however get a bit of a metallic note along with the "fresh green" notes, but it fits the request.

Basenotes Plus

Ichnusa by Profumum Roma. Fresh cut grass, myrtle, fig leaves. Doesn't get any greener..

Eau de Lierre like leaves.

for swap/sale:

Bvlgari pH Extreme came to mind first, this is a very grassy citrus scent with excellent longevity and projection. 212 & Philosykos are also great recommendations.

Also may wanna check into the Un Jardin line from Hermes.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 19th December 2013 at 07:41 PM.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Member

I would also recommend bois d'orage/French lover from Frederic Malle.
    It starts Very much like fresh cut grass to me, but that does not stay ...
    Oriza legrand relique d'amour feels more like mossy stone to me.
    And oh how I'd love to smell "the smell of the weather turning" by lush. Heard good stuff about it.

I find Givenchy's Insensé to have that green vibe to it. Also the opening of Aramis Havana. They both last a long time and neither will break the bank.

My go-to grassy stuff is Comme des Garcons Vettiveru. Go crazy on the trigger with the stuff and it lasts forever, best part is...it's hard to over-spray.

I'll have to try the Vettiveru. The longest lasting grassy vetiver scent I've tried to date is C&S Vetiver Vert.

I agree that violet-laden fragrances can produce a fresh cut grass aroma. For that reason I strongly recommend you check out Paul Smith For Men (not PS Man which is heavy on incense). It is very green and fresh and last an entire work day on me. Projection is good for the first 3-4hr before it settles down but honestly that's plenty of time for most purposes. You don't want to be the guy with the loud cologne, especially since not everyone likes the smell of fresh cut grass. It's super cheap and easy to find. Check it out!
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garçons
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9
    Soon to include "Ab Spirit Silver"

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Not very long lasting ( but ok) and very green and grassy : Herba Fresca ( Aqua Allegoria) from Guerlain

Blog Entries

Let me address your follow-up questions very specifically....

Modern version of Polo green that you might like would be Tom Ford Italian Cypress. Everybody who smells it, immediately sees a more modern Polo green. STRONG. Downside? EXPENSIVE.

I googled it and found that gap grass has been discontinued an on ebay, the shipment price makes it as expensive as buying a dior homme intense without shipping here haha. I'm going to try sniffing encre noir though, got anything suggestions of one that's probably like encre noir but fresh? I don't want to still be loud past the 5 hour mark but I want solid sillage really looking forward to smelling it

but I don't get what you meant there, isn't brisk like....fresh?
    Sounds like you might want to check out the new Encre Noire Sport.

You would do great with 212 men its a safe blind buy and it is everything you said you want. Other fragrance might be Lacoste Essensial.