Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: CORRECTING COMMERCIAL FRAGRANCES WITH HYRACEUM - temporary thread from Huddlr archive

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo View Post
    These comments are giving me an idea to make a Hyraceum Fragrance. A perfume centered on Hyraceum with the tincture as the main ingredient.
    Sure. Why not? It seems that many people find this aroma pleasant.

If I do it I shall make a free bottle available to those who patrticipate in the experiments.
    Oh, how nice! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bogsc View Post
    Any problems shipping the hyraceum from Italy to US? Is there a US source that I could get my hands on more quickly?
    Profumo's UPS Express delivery from Italy is faster than most ground deliveries within the U.S. It costs $24, but if you order some fragrances along with your hyraceum, it's worth the cost. I got a set of six 5-ml samples, and he put my hyraceum in there, and it arrived on the third day,

Look the reviews on the Basenotes Directory to see if you are interested in sampling any of his fragrances:

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...ia+del+profumo

Here is the website link:

http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotti_mignon.asp

Default Re: CORRECTING COMMERCIAL FRAGRANCES WITH HYRACEUM - temporary thread from Huddlr archive

Purplebird, you gave great suggestions for samples from Madini oils so would love to hear about your faves from Profumo. Will plan to get some samples and Hyraceum after the holidays.

Profumo, didn't dawn on me until now that you are creator of AbdesSalaam Attars. A number of perfume buddies rave about them and I believe a sample of at least one of your attars recently came into my possession. Looking forward to trying more of them as I've only recently fallen down the attar rabbit hole.
    Last edited by bogsc; 16th December 2013 at 01:11 PM.

I love this confusion, eventually it will lead the tax people off my tracks.
    "AbdesSalaam Attar" is my perfumer's name, not my brand, but I have a line of Attars called "Sheikh Perfumes". My name is not Profumo either, it is my nick on Basenoteds but it is also the name of my company /(NOT "Il Profumo"), while my brand is still known by its previous name "La via del Profumo" but it does not appear anymore on registration papers.
    My Name is Dominique Dubrana ( NOT "Durbano") but even my own mother calls me now as "Salaam".
    You are welcome to my Attars, do not forgot to mention whom you are on Basenotes if you order anything, there is always a special treatmernt for Basenoters.
    Salaam
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer
    http://www.profumo.it/Blog/index.php

My first update - I added 1 drop of hyraceum to 1 ml of Judith Muller's Bathsheba fragrance. Bathsheba on its own smells rich, sweet, fresh and floral. I also smelled hints of frankincense, orange and mint. It reminded me also of powder, camay soap and a hair pomade from my childhood but I have still not remembered its name.

Bathsheba plus hyraceum? - an explosion of scent - intense and sweet yet somewhat softer than Bathesheba without hyraceum. It seems hyraceum rounded out the sharper notes of the fragrance. The blended also smelled less soapy. I preferred the hyraceum spiked version. I put a drop of the pure Bathesheba in the crook of my left elbow and one drop of the hyraceum spiked Bathesheba in the crook of my right elbow before going to bed.The next morning I noticed that the fragrance on my right elbow smelled stronger. I also tried a drop each of the Batheseba with and without hyraceum on a perfume strip. The strip without hyraceum smelled sharper. After leaving the strips to sit for about an hour I noticed that the smell on the strip with hyraceum was stronger. Seems addition of hyraceum softened and enriched the Bathsheba fragrance but also made the scent last longer.
    I have made a second blend of 1 ml Bathesheba plus 2 drops hyraceum - I will evaluate that tonight hopefully.

I also tried hyraceum with Body by Burberry and Epic by Amouage. In both cases the hyraceum had a softening and rounding effect on the fragrance. This effect was however most noticeable with the Bathesheba fragrance described above.

Purplebird, you gave great suggestions for samples from Madini oils so would love to hear about your faves from Profumo. Will plan to get some samples and Hyraceum after the holidays.
    Oh, so many of them are marvelous. My favorites from my first sampling are Gringo (an amazing, head-turning frankincense-based fragrance) and Bazaar (my favorite spicy Oriental of any brand). The second sampling, I fell for Pheromone for Women (an indolic floral over a civet and ambergris base) and Oasis (a deep, gorgeous, realistic floral), and Milano Cafe (a roasted coffee and sweets gourmand).

I love this confusion, eventually it will lead the tax people off my tracks.
    I'm laughing, here.

Thanks for the whole explanation about your name/nickname/company. I didn't know your company name went to "Profumo" from "La Via del Profumo." So, do you prefer "Salaam" as a first name, then?

Blog Entries

I'm interested to follow along here and maybe participate in the other note additions, especially if US residents might do a combined shipping order for the next one. I don't hesitate in paying for my materials at all but sometimes I do occasionally balk at the single item international shipping costs!
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Purplebird/Salaam,

Thanks for the recommendations and the explanation abut name/nickname/company! It's sample of pheromone for women that recently came into my possession (I think in the last couple of weeks). Gonna dig that out and give it a good try. Civet and ambergris will no doubt result in a swoon. Will be ordering some of your faves Purplebird. Salaam, I'll be reaching out to you right after the holidays for more suggestions.
    Last edited by bogsc; 17th December 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Purplebird/Salaam,
    Will be ordering some of your faves Purplebird.
    I have an addition to make. I forgot to put Sharif in my list of favorites (deep, resinous, a bit smoky and leathery, followed by sweet almonds). This one would make the most sexy masculine fragrance, but its good on women, too.

Quote Originally Posted by akiba66 View Post
    My first update - ...Bathsheba plus hyraceum? - an explosion of scent - intense and sweet yet somewhat softer than Bathesheba without hyraceum. It seems hyraceum rounded out the sharper notes of the fragrance. The blended also smelled less soapy. ...Seems addition of hyraceum softened and enriched the Bathsheba fragrance but also made the scent last longer.
    I also tried hyraceum with Body by Burberry and Epic by Amouage. In both cases the hyraceum had a softening and rounding effect on the fragrance....
    Akibaa - Your results match some of Eule's and mine. You have found that the hyraceum extends the life of a fragrance. It is, indeed, a fixative. Also, it rounds-out or unifies the notes in the fragrance. True for all of us, so far. And it smelled good in Bathsheba (that is a beautiful fragrance) especially because of the "soapy" notes. I think Eule noticed that, too. We used to have a list of matched results. It was lost by Huddlr, but I hope to get it back. I think it went like this (and we can add to it):

If anyone can remember more of these or has other generalizations to add, please do.

List of Effects - Hyraceum added to a fragrance:
    1. Makes it last longer
    2. Deepens the fragrance, gives it a 3-D effect
    3. Rounds out, blends, or unifies the notes, "softens" the fragrance
    4. Intensifies floral notes or "floralizes" a fragrance
    5. Combines well with leather notes
    6. Reduces sharpness of soapy notes
    7. Combines well with musk notes
    8. To most people, it smells attractive, or at least inoffensive
    9. Causes people to recall the scent of animals, feces, urine, leather, fur
    10. When too much hyraceum is added, the fragrance "flattens out"
    11. Reduces or fights with vanilla notes
    12. Combines well with animalic notes
    13. Combines well with oud notes
    14. Can be used at a high ratio of hyraceum to fragrance, depending on the fragrance.
    15. Good with vetiver, not as good with orris.
    16. Enhances citrus notes
    17. Boosts powder notes
    18. Tames "gasoline" note
    19. Rounds marine note
    Last edited by purplebird7; 1st January 2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Adding information

Basenotes Plus

Hi!
    Please excuse the ignorance - do the civets enjoy humane treatment in Ethiopia (or elsewhere) & any freedom in captivity or do they suffer in any way?
    It would be interesting to understand exactly how the civet paste is obtained from them as the articles here have so far been unclear on this and the use of civet is a future experiment if I've read this thread correctly.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by lpp; 18th December 2013 at 07:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Hi!
    Please excuse the ignorance - do the civets enjoy humane treatment in Ethiopia (or elsewhere) & any freedom in captivity or do they suffer in any way?
    It would be interesting to understand exactly how the civet paste is obtained from them as the articles here have so far been unclear on this and the use of civet is a future experiment if I've read this thread correctly.
    Thanks!
    Good question, I'd like to know this, also.

I have not been in Ethiopia yet and I cannot bring an eye-witness testimony. When I asked my supplier in Ethiopia about the treatmrnt of civets, he said, "we live from them, we treat them better than our children".
    Maybe in the same way that farmers in Europe seem to love their cows more than their own family.
    I propose that I shall fully investigate the matter, travelling to Ethiopia, before starting any experiments with Civet here.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for replying, Profumo - the WSPA report does not encourage one to think that the captive civet is treated awfully well - and it is certainly true that the majority of farmed animals in most countries are not well treated either, although progress is being made in some countries.

People are free to choose whether they use any of these products once in possession of accurate & current information, which appears scant in respect of the civet.

We are fortunate in my immediate locality as we do have 'family' farmers who keep small amounts of various animals in excellent and humane conditions and we may therefore choose to purchase from them should we so wish.
    Last edited by lpp; 19th December 2013 at 06:55 PM.

I'm glad, Profumo, that you will check into the treatment of your supplier's civet cats so that those of us who do not wish to contribute to cruelty can excuse ourselves from using products that are not ethically produced. I will be among the people who wait to hear of proof from your supplier before I continue. Thank you for being brave and ethical by offering to look into the situation on our behalf. I applaud you.

I'd also like to bring up sandalwood, which should come from sustainable sources. There are plantations where this is occurring. Research is necessary, but it is worth supporting the right suppliers and perfumers who can vouch for that their sandalwood is not poached. Ditto: rosewood.

And, to be fair, although this is off-topic, it is the same issue.

Reforms need to be made in the livestock industry (meat, dairy, and egg) in terms of allowing free-range access and enabling slaughter on-site or at nearby co-ops instead of long-distance hauling to factory slaughterhouses. Also, the fishing industry needs regulation to stop over-fishing and environmental damage.

Thanks.

Please restart your experiments if you have the hyraceum.
    I only count five or six people who have posted about their experiements (including Eule, whose posts were lost).
    I know the move from Hudlr caused a delay, but you still have your kits and can resume -- especially if some of you are getting time off from work for winter break. Please consider doing so as soon as this busy season allows. In fact, it might be a good time to test those hyraceum-dosed fragrances since you will be attending parties this holiday season! Sneak in a "dosed" version of your favorite fragrance, and let us know how people react!

Sorry about my tardiness. I will be posting very soon.

Thanks, Lisa! That's wonderful!

10-26-2013 009 new.jpg

Well, I totally lost the spur of the moment reporting due to loss of my information when Basenotes switched backed to it's old forum. The Hyraceum defintely "dirtied" up the Creed Royal Oud and Agar Aura Oud Fougere I added it too. When I say "dirtied" it up, I do not mean it in a bad way, but in more of a good way. It added a more primal animalistic edge to the fragrances. I have on occasion actually swiped the tincture on my neck by itself. When mixing, I prefer to have the Hyraceum on the strong side. I have been adding it with the ratio of about 2 drops of Hyraceum with 5 drops Oud Fougere and about 1ml Creed Royal Oud with 5 drops Hyraceum. To me the straight Hyraceum smells like really clean, shower fresh slighly spicy Vajayjay. As a man, I take a deep whiff from the bottle and mental pictures flash through my head of red and black lace stockings and what lies underleath those. I do notice the ladies do get a little more talkative when I am wearing mixes or straight Hyracuem. I will have to do some more experimenting to see (smell) if the Hyraceum is behind it.

!!!!!
    Fabulous!!!
    The subliminal message is coming through!

You are able to use a high ratio of hyraceum. I will add that to the list of generalities.

Agar Oud Fougere, for people who don't know, is an all-natural fougere using oakmoss and galbanum, which would make it quite green and foresty -- and that is fascinating all by itself. (It is sold out on their website, BTW.) I've never smelled it, but I would imagine it's character is quite different from the Creed Royal Oud.

This is quite nice to get results on these masculine fragrances. In my experiment, I found that the hyraceum went best with Aromatics Elixir -- which is different from almost every other mainstream feminine fragrance in the department store here: It is a masculine-leaning feminine fragrance. It has lots of herbal elements. It is notably drier and less sweet. It has animalic ingredients, probably synthetic civet. The hyraceum loved it.

So, I am not surprised that the Oud fragrances were a good match, too. I will go up and edit the list of generalities, adding "goes well with oud fragrances."

Basenotes Plus

I prepared a vial with modified Fahrenheit a couple of days ago and gave it a test drive today (on my wrist). Now, Fahrenheit is one of my top favorite fragrances just like it is, but the addition of hyraceum gave it a stunning sense of multidimensionality. I was immediately impressed. What I noticed the most was the rounding of the "gasoline" feel. The violet was perfectly enhanced - I almost wanted to eat it.
    Currently wearing: Red Vetyver by Montale

Cool. Should I add "reduces harsh top notes?" to the list?
    Also do you feel that it made any difference to let it sit for a few days?

Apologies for not posting earlier but here's my early impressions.

Hyraceum on it's own smells carnal, urinous and a little animalic. The other impression I get is mustiness that calls to mind very old but clean houses. Old dry and exposed woods, old worn leather chairs, old bounds books. It reminds me of walking into a museum period house and some op shops.

So far I've added it to three fragrances, Iris Silver Mist, Marquis de Sade and Vetiver 46.

Iris Silver Mist is somehow rounder for the addition. I don't like it.
    It transforms the composition into something more common - akin to the more ubiquitous iris + white musks combos.
    The "tangy" aspects of the resins and vetiver also seem to be slightly aplified.
    This addition could definitely work those that feel ISM too stark and cold.

The addition of Hyraceum to Vetiver 46 however does fit my tastes.
    Again it rounder and warmer however in this instance I feel it adds to the fragrance particularly blending well with the lab/vanilla/amber drydown.
    It also takes the edge off the cedar and pepper notes.
    Somewhat surprisingly the "tangy" aspects are amplifed again - bergamot, resins and an aspect of the vetiver really standing out.

I'm still testing MdS and will report back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    The other impression I get is mustiness that calls to mind very old but clean houses. Old dry and exposed woods, old worn leather chairs, old bounds books. It reminds me of walking into a museum period house and some op shops.
    Brilliant! I smell that, too. I just didn't find the words for it.

Verrrry intersting that you found two fragrances: one that clearly didn't work, and one that clearly did.

Both of them were based on natural, vegetal substances: orris absolute and vetiver e.o. To me, both of those smell of "earth and roots." Yet, the vetiver, as you say, is "tangy." (I get "smoky" also.) Perhaps that explains why it withstood the addition of the animalic hyraceum, whereas I feel that orris is softer -- not in strength, but in character.

I added "good with vetiver, not as good with orris" to the list. Hope you don't mind.

Still among turkish goat herders in Cyprus distilling pink pepper trees. I am resolving the problems of connection and will soon be able to be with you here.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Sweet Redemption - 2 drops hyraceum
    Too sweet for my taste I wanted to test this to see if hyraceum could somehow tame the sweetness. I was hopeful at first. While the opening seemed warmer with hyraceum it did nothing to cut through the heavy sweet notes. It did enhance an odd play doh vanilla note. I didn't care for it at all.

Ubar - 1 drop hyraceum
    Hyraceum seemed to enhance the citrus and boost the powder notes. It blended well. I liked this one much better.

Sel Marin - 1 drop hyraceum
    Serious citrus boost in the opening and warmer rounded marine notes.

I didn't notice any change in longevity for either fragrance but I'm still testing them further.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Brilliant! I smell that, too. I just didn't find the words for it.

Verrrry intersting that you found two fragrances: one that clearly didn't work, and one that clearly did.

Both of them were based on natural, vegetal substances: orris absolute and vetiver e.o. To me, both of those smell of "earth and roots." Yet, the vetiver, as you say, is "tangy." (I get "smoky" also.) Perhaps that explains why it withstood the addition of the animalic hyraceum, whereas I feel that orris is softer -- not in strength, but in character.

I added "good with vetiver, not as good with orris" to the list. Hope you don't mind.
    Animal scents are notorious for blending well with flowery notes. I believe that they would be able add the indolic dimension, that many natural flowers have, to the synthetic flowery notes of commercial frags.
    Last edited by Profumo; 30th December 2013 at 02:27 PM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

I prepared a vial with modified Fahrenheit a couple of days ago and gave it a test drive today (on my wrist). Now, Fahrenheit is one of my top favorite fragrances just like it is, but the addition of hyraceum gave it a stunning sense of multidimensionality. I was immediately impressed. What I noticed the most was the rounding of the "gasoline" feel. The violet was perfectly enhanced - I almost wanted to eat it.

very interesting effect on a outstanding perfume. If others could replicate the experiment with the same effect, we would be sure of the result.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa BTB View Post
    ...enhance the citrus
    ...boost the powder notes
    ...rounded marine notes
    Check. Added to list.

After the Christmas break hiatus, I'm back as well.

In December, I had tried Cologne Sologne (nice, deeper, but ultimately it goes against the DNA of an eau de cologne), and Olene (not much perceived change, to be honest). I think my earlier posts were lost.

Today addition to two favorites: Metal and Calandre. I accidentally overdosed (5 drops per ml). Which means at least that things will be amplified. Metal starts sharp green, the hiraceum immediately moves it into old style dirty narcissus florals, giving it a rounder, richer, chypre feel. i love Metal as is, so there's no reason to change it. But the resulting metal + hiraceum is also very good. The material seems to marry well with green florals. In Calandre, which is already rich and vanillic, it seems to make it too sweet - not an improvement so far.

But that's just the top, we'll see how it evolves.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

On Aventus, I found that the hyraceum muddied up the birch, minimizing the smokiness of it. It also revived the patchouli and oakmoss - it was almost as if the birch, patchouli, and moss were homogenized. It also gave the pineapple a riper and fleshier feel... almost to the point of fermentation. I think this was, at least in part, due to the hyraceum highlighting the indole in jasmine. I'm not sure it was a correction/improvement necessarily (which it was on Fahrenheit), but it did transform the composition very noticeably. I would say it made it lean more to what's classically categorized as feminine.

I decided to do Fahrenheit and Aventus because I feel more people would be familiar enough with them and they'd be good reference points. I don't know yet if I'll keep the same approach on what's to follow. We'll see...
    Currently wearing: Red Vetyver by Montale