Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: CORRECTING COMMERCIAL FRAGRANCES WITH HYRACEUM - temporary thread from Huddlr archive

I would like to remind you that our research is about finding an objective truth about animal scents in perfumery. Our own opinion about our preferred scent is not objective, we should have other people evaluate the scents. It may be that 9 out of 10 people to whom we ask "which of the 2 perfumes do you prefer?" may have a different opinion than we have. This is because we are necessarily biased about our preferred frags.

Moreover, there is an aspect of the research for which we need to have others smell our Hyraceum fragrances, the aspect of attractiveness and sensuality that animal scents are supposed to confer to perfumes.

I invite you to have your family, friends and co-workers smell the perfumes, I have suggested a few ideas for that on the page http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=5543
    Last edited by Profumo; 4th January 2014 at 09:47 PM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer
    http://www.profumo.it/Blog/index.php

Default Re: CORRECTING COMMERCIAL FRAGRANCES WITH HYRACEUM - temporary thread from Huddlr archive

Hi everyone! Took a break at Christmas: had so much going on and was not able to focus on my experiment. What I did do on at least 3 occasions was to wear my Eau du Soir perfume spiked with Hyraceum. Each time I accidentally overdosed on the Hyraceum but it did not do me any harm! I liked how it smelled on me - very rich and intense. I felt good about myself each time I wore it. I did not receive any comments on how I smelled though.

I repeated my experiments with Hyraceum, this time adding 2 drops to 1ml each of Bathesheba, Epic, Body and Eau du Soir. Within the first 30 minutes of inserting a scent strip into each blend and smelling the strips I did not notice a significant difference between the experiment with 1 drop of Hyraceum and that with 2 drops of Hyraceum. In both cases the blend smelled sweeter and more rounded than when Hyraceum was absent. What I also noticed was that fragrances that were already favorites of mine such as Eau du Soir and Bathesheba had an added appeal for me, with addition of Hyraceum, while fragrances that I did not like so much such as Body did not become more attractive to me despite the rounding-off effect of Hyraceum.

It has been interesting to read about the experiences of other Basenotes participating in this experiment and to note the similarities in our observations. It was interesting to note the observation about the effect of Hyraceum on florals. This because I thought I sensed an increased floral aroma in the blends with Hyraceum but was a bit puzzled because Hyraceum does not smell floral to me at all. Now I realized that what may have happened was Hyraceum enhancing whatever floral notes were in the fragrance.

Will smell the scent strips again tomorrow.

Will do experiments with family and friends this week.

Quote Originally Posted by akiba66 View Post
    Will do experiments with family and friends this week.
    Thank you Akiba for the insights, I hope to have some interesting reactions from your friends and family, to help us understand what effect has Hyraceum on people who are not so passionate about perfumes as we are..
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Had two people do a quick evaluation of Eau du Soir perfume with and without Hyraceum today. I had gone to do business at a shop and invited the shop owner to try it out. Her mother came in shortly after and agreed to try the two perfumes out too. They first put a drop of the perfume without Hyraceum on one wrist and then perfume/Hyraceum blend on the other. They both commented after trying the blend with Hyraceum, that the version without Hyraceum smelled harsh while that with Hyraceum smelled softer. They were both surprised when I had them take a whiff of the pure Hyraceum - surprise was that something that smelled not so good could enhance a fragrance. I was intrigued that they also noticed the softening and rounding out effect of Hyraceum that I had experienced myself earlier on. While they were testing the perfume I thought they did not notice any difference but they were both certain about their observation that the two versions smelled different.

Thank you Akika for this interesting test made with professional persons. I believe that the effect that all notice is not really olfactory but has deeper roots, it the 3D effect whose theory I expounded in the Animal scents article lately. Probably you would find that this perfume would have been enhanced as well with a natural essential oil well choosen. The advantage of animal scents is that they are more neutral and subliminal than botanical ingredients and will merge in a larger variety of fragrances.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

After a lengthy hiatus, I am back.

Am blending hyraceum with Goutal Sables, 1 drop to 1ml. Seems like a good combo, the herbal qualities of immortelle with the hyraceum.

More later--
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Ongoing experiments with Sables:

As mentioned above, have been blending at a ratio of 1 drop to 1ml.

I was motivated to try this combo because I really like Sables, and read of a Basenotes member who layered Sables with MKK. That seemed very interesting to me, as Sables has no identifiable animalic component. I thought that blending hyraceum might work well with the immortelle, cinnamon, sandalwood and vanilla that characterize the scent.

My own impression is that the addition of hyraceum creates an interesting bridge note, anchoring the perfume with a body scent, instead of letting it float above.

I have been wearing the doctored version to work. I tend to apply lightly (2 spritzes to chest), though Sables has some native punch. I haven't noted any spontaneous responses from co-workers, though I tend not to receive comments.

Next, I will try some explicit tests with co-workers, as I did with straight hyraceum (see post above).
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

dear Cosmopolit,
    unfortunately perfume is not enough, young ladies are not anymore complimenting me about my perfume as they were 20 years ago.
    Maybe co-workers are so used to bear other's perfumes that they are prejudiced against scents at the working place.
    In olfactory psychology the first rule is that the psychological effect of a smell depends in great part from the context in which is is perceived. Working ambience is certainly not propicious to ludic thoughts and poetic feelings, if real work is going on there. Rather the contrary, a more than healthy dose of stress is bred in office.
    The right ambient to make attractiveness tests for personal scents would be leisure situations.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo View Post
    dear Cosmopolit,
    unfortunately perfume is not enough, young ladies are not anymore complimenting me about my perfume as they were 20 years ago.
    I also believe visual cues introduce overwhelming prejudice. A young, attractive person will receive compliments because someone else wants to become friendly with him or her. A test of sexual response is best conducted "blind." Otherwise the smeller is first primarily judging his or her attraction to the appearance of the wearer, and secondarily responding to the fragrance.

As Profumo has discussed on his website, human phermones are found in armpit sweat and other hair-covered places on the human body. As far as I am concerned, human phermones are for attracting humans -- more than civet, musk, castoreum, hyraceum, or ambergris. Animal phermones smell good to us, smell interesting to us, smell "attractive" to us, but the real sexual response is created by the smell of our own species. Most people refuse to admit that. I do not mean a dirty, neglected body; I mean a healthy body that has exerted itself physically. This smells good to us. Proof of that theory is to walk into an empty bedroom. We know the smell of our own mates, don't we?

Blog Entries

This business of expecting or trolling for compliments is completely flawed. All one can do is try the perfume and wave it under a friend or spouse's nose and ask for an opinion. (My opinion).

As for whether this hyraceum improves the way many perfumes smell, I think I can say that there is no question it really does. Most 'laymen' are not sophisticated enough to know or care, but this stuff really does have a beneficial effect.
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th February 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Physical aspect is the most important clue in the mating choice for human beings, but smell has a hidden role that is much more important than we believe. It is so true that one would never marry a person whose skin odour one does not like.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

I might add, we also know, and respond to, the aroma of our parents' skin.

First of all, apologies for being so terribly late with my findings.

Ages ago, I said I would try adding hyraceum to modern Tabac Blond extrait, and I did: 2 drops of hyraceum to 1ml extrait. And I honestly thought I had overdone it or otherwise ruined it: it flattened out the contrasts in the composition, and at the same time brought a shrill, slightly urinous aspect to the mix that was frankly a bit jarring.

Anyway, real life took over for a bit and the vial sat around doing nothing for more than a month until I tried it again.

Which may just have been as well: the hyraceum seems to have had a bit of time to settle, and I can see how it fits in Tabac Blond now.

It doesn't actually come near the animalics of my vintage extrait - instead the hyraceum pushes it in the other direction and amplifies the florals instead - makes them rounder, lusher and dare I say creamier and fruitier. The difference is most marked in the sillage - up close though, I still get that shrill note on my skin.

Will be reporting on another experiment or two in the pipeline - but in the meantime, has anyone had the opportunity to revisit their experiments and do they notice any differences over time?

Dear Rowan, you are right, it is awfully late but I am so grateful for your feedback.
    What you observed is one of the first things you understand when you start composing perfumes.
    The ingredient you put last has a stronger presencethan it will have even after a few minutes.
    This is why if I add five drops of something and I find the result fantastic, I know that later on I shall have to add 3 more to retain the same balance as I am smelling now.
    Your observation that Hyraceum "amplifies the florals instead - makes them rounder, lusher and dare I say creamier and fruitier." has been already noted by others during their experiments but I do not recall observations about sillage as you write " The difference is most marked in the sillage - up close though, I still get that shrill note on my skin."
    Your suggestion to others to go back to their vials after a month or two is a good idea. I hope someone will catch it.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Thanks, Profumo. Will keep bumping this thread for a bit in the hope that some of the others see it too.

I thought it might also be interesting to try the experiment on Peety by O'drił, seeing as how it was composed specifically for "personalisation" - and hyraceum isn't that different, is it?

As it turned out, Peety did actually get along very well with the hyraceum right from the beginning. What I found interesting was that the unadulterated Peety can occasionally have a bit of a sharp, slightly urinous aspect when dabbed, and it's the hyraceum that appears to sand down that note. Once again, it makes the overall composition softer, richer and a bit more fruity - personally, I'm not terribly keen on fruity notes in general, but it works well in the composition - and that is saying something!

Now I'm going to let my vial of altered Peety sit for a month or two - but first I should perhaps add another drop or two of hyraceum to maintain the balance, as you point out.

Anyone else seen their vials around lately?

The concept of Peety puts me off in the first place! I could easily be convinced to add my underarm sweat but NOT urine! What does Peety smell like straight out of the bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    The concept of Peety puts me off in the first place! I could easily be convinced to add my underarm sweat but NOT urine! What does Peety smell like straight out of the bottle?
    Don't let it put you off - Peety is a very nice, dry vanilla, tobacco and leather creature with rose and oakmoss along the way. But this description is a bit reductive - Peety is not only one of the most complex O'drius so far, but also one of the most likeable. Easily among the best releases of 2013. I bought it blind and like it very much - can't think of an easier one to have bought blind, really. O'drił with manners, almost. It's very wearable straight out of the bottle - no personalisation whatsoever needed.
    Last edited by rowan-; 28th February 2014 at 07:20 PM.

Heh. That would be good. No personalization. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Heh. That would be good. No personalization. LOL.
    I think that personalizing this perfume with the fossilized urinary pheromones of Hyraceum is the best destiny that can befall it.

There are pheromones in Human urine as well as in human sweat, but about the story which consist in personalizing a fragrance with one's own urine the only good thing that one can think to say is that at least it is your own pipi. It could be worst, a real mad artist like Dali would have pretended to put HIS own urine into your perfume.
    Last edited by Profumo; 2nd March 2014 at 11:54 PM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Oh, hyraceum would be great. Far preferable to human urine, methinks.
    Regarding your comment on Dali:
    Last edited by purplebird7; 1st March 2014 at 12:29 PM.

There's actually not much that I could add, but I noticed that (although my nose is in bad condition beacause of some medicine) that Hyraceum seems to mute so-called "White Musks" in perfumes which is astonishing because one would expect that it would amplify them. Anybody else noticed that or is it just my nose?

Dear Hoschhti, the effect of Hyraceum on macrolitic muscs will be difficult to evaluate, as a male on 3 is to some extend anosmic to them.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

I think this is a great experiment, and one that I might try myself. Kudos to Profumo for an interesting idea!

In some schools of yoga, drinking one's urine is found to be quite healthful - but in my own yoga practice I have not taken that particular route as of yet.....