Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hermes launches Classic Collections; first out Bel Ami Vetiver

From Now Smell This:

"French house Hermès has launched Bel Ami Vétiver, the first in a projected series of classic Hermès fragrances reworked by house perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena. Bel Ami Vétiver is a variation on 1986's Bel Ami, a leathery chypre originally developed by perfumer Jean-Louis Sieuzac.

The other classic fragrances in the series will include Eau d'Hermès, Calèche, Equipage, Amazone, Rocabar, Hiris and Rouge."

bel-ami-vetiver.jpg
    -----------------------------
    It will be interesting to see how much rework will be done to the classics; Equipage Sport, anyone?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Default Re: Hermes launches Classic Collections; first out Bel Ami Vetiver

Exciting. Thanks for sharing.
    (1333)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thought that they'd already broken Caleche - it will be interesting to hear what they've managed to do.

Basenotes Plus

Bel Ami Vetiver??

I love Bel Ami, but (cautiously) afraid of what they've done by adding vetiver to it.

On the other hand, I hope they improved the strength and longevity of Rocabar. Love the scent, but it lasts a whole 10 minutes on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cautiously optimistic... although bel ami was best as a rich, old school masculine, I wonder what Ellena is going to do with it!

Thanks for the info. Interesting.

Please just give some Doblis, no rework needed...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

We'll see what comes out. Ellena is at the opposite of many of these frags. Bel Ami vetiver sounds like a plain vetiver, if they take off leather and smoke. I've never liked Rocabar sporty feel, so that's probably one that will improve under Ellena. And I'm curious of what will become of Eau d'Hermes. Will ellena keep the cumin?

cacio

Thanks for sharing indeed. Some truly exciting fragrance testing sure to follow for me- rediscovering some classics I knew and loved, newly discovering some others on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Bel Ami Vetiver??

I love Bel Ami, but (cautiously) afraid of what they've done by adding vetiver to it....
    The original Bel Ami contains vetiver. The new on just sounds like an Ellena minimalist version of Bel Ami focused on vetiver. Who knows what it will smell like but it will probably be decent.

Original Bel Ami pyramid:

Basil, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Lemon, Mandarin, Petitgrain
    Carnation, Cedar, Jasmine, Orris, Patchouli, Vetiver
    Castoreum, Labdanum, Leather, Oakmoss, Styrax, Vanilla

It all sounds interesting. Really looking forward to what he's done with Eau d'Hermes and Bel Ami Vetiver. Ellena learned a lot from Roudnitska and Eau d'Hermes has always been one of Ellena's favorite fragrances. He's talked about it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Ellena is at the opposite of many of these frags. cacio
    Couldn't agree more.

Elena's creations are wonderful, but a waste of $, gone in 2 hrs max. I am scared of the outcome of Equipage modified by Elena...

Blog Entries

I'll be hopeful here. I'm a modernist in fragrance, and I think that it could be extremely interesting to see these classics refreshed.

One I would not mind seeing resurrected - if it ever even existed, is the mythical Eau d'Herbes. Exemplary reference here.

PS - great story about the creator, here: http://www.calameo.com/books/000037699b9c066be5d22
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 8th December 2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added reference

It can seem like a lack of respect to mess with the classics. The only way to become a classic is to exude quality AND remain unreformulated for a certain amount of time.
    Yet, if change is the only constant, then perhaps Hermes decided that it had held off long enough. At least (a) it was Ellena who got the nod, (b) back-up bottles are still available, and (c) the Internet brings everyone's collection to our fingertips.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by awayalonealong View Post
    It can seem like a lack of respect to mess with the classics. The only way to become a classic is to exude quality AND remain unreformulated for a certain amount of time.
    Yet, if change is the only constant, then perhaps Hermes decided that it had held off long enough. At least (a) it was Ellena who got the nod, (b) back-up bottles are still available, and (c) the Internet brings everyone's collection to our fingertips.
    Agreed. I can much more respect a house that keeps its classics, and creates flanker modernizations, than one which suddenly body-snatches a classic in place, replacing it in the dead of night with a reformulated vampire version, leaving the victims lovers of the old version to fend for themselves on eBay.

The recent Eau Delicate versions of some of the other Hermès classics were very nice, and their movement toward modernity and transparency made them very guy-friendly. So there is a chance that one of these revamped masculines will steal my heart. I'm certainly hoping so!!!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The original Bel Ami contains vetiver.
    Yes, but it is such minor ingredient in Bel Ami that you can't even try to call it a vetiver fragrance. If they push it forward, as the new name suggests, it may "kill" the original Bel Ami leather/chypre, likely moving the scent in a whole new direction. Sounds like a flanker that will simply ride on the famous Bel Ami name, but have little relation to the original.

I don't know, this is collection seems to come so oddly close to 2014, the year that the EU restrictions will be implemented, that i see myself curious but at the same time worried that they will just slowly substitute the old fragrances for compliant ones...

Sounds like a flanker that will simply ride on the famous Bel Ami name, but have little relation to the original.
    I'm so glad that I spent a good chunk but bought a brand new vintage bel ami...

Gone are the days of decadence and opulence.

Products now are being tailored to fit into the mass market's disposable income scale.

Juuuuusst the right amount...

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I don't know, this is collection seems to come so oddly close to 2014, the year that the EU restrictions will be implemented, that i see myself curious but at the same time worried that they will just slowly substitute the old fragrances for compliant ones...
    I have very similar worries.

Thanks for the update, furrypine. Always enjoy your exciting news announcements!

Bel - Ami Leather would be nice -- you know, like the original

Basenotes Institution

Good news, I'm interested to see what he'll do with the classics.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

This is big news indeed. I just hope like others have alluded to here, that Ellena will be inspired by his bombastic past & not his minimalist zen compositions of late.

I don't see the regular Bel Ami on the Hermes website anymore... Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    I don't see the regular Bel Ami on the Hermes website anymore... Interesting...
    I don't want to overreact, especially when it's too early to know what's going on ... but this has me worried.

What we don't need are minimalist, watered-down, 'modernised' versions of scents that are already highly regarded just as they are.

Interesting observation... you may be right!

Balenciaga discontinued some of theirs a while back (which was kind of annoying to me personally) but possibly a good long-term decision.

I have a bottle of the original vintage Bel Ami and think it's a great scent. The problem for me with vetiver is that I think it makes a great supporting accord in a fragrance but a poor leading act. But we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Bel - Ami Leather would be nice -- you know, like the original
    Yes, THIS!

I am intrigued to see what Ellena does with these interpretations, though. It would be nice to have the old Bel Ami and the old Equipage, though. Speaking of which, has Equipage been changed? The last bottle I smelled at the Hermes store was SO much brighter than I remember. I like it, but I liked the old one too. I wonder what direction they'll go with an Equipage remix.

Yes, but it is such minor ingredient in Bel Ami that you can't even try to call it a vetiver fragrance. If they push it forward, as the new name suggests, it may "kill" the original Bel Ami leather/chypre, likely moving the scent in a whole new direction. Sounds like a flanker that will simply ride on the famous Bel Ami name, but have little relation to the original.
    Well, to my nose, the original Bel Ami already has a strong Vetiver note. Bel ami is for me a smoky leathery vetiver in its late drydown. I'm curious about the nw version but hardly can imagine it will be an improvement of an already near to perfect scent.

This Classics Collection appears to be a repackaging of some Hermès classics, but with also a new flanker for Bel Ami. It does not seem to be an entire line of reorchestrated scents as suggested by the NST article.

See this article:
    http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.sg/20...n-bel-ami.html

Of course, whether the other classics will get reorchestrated flankers and whether these classics are affected by new 2014 IFRA restrictions is another matter.

I tried the new Bel Ami Vetiver briefly the other day and found it very nice. I am no expert on the original Bal Ami at all so I really can´t dissect it for it´s vetiver.

I can say though, that the new one is pretty strong - not particularly Ellena-ish - and also very refined. The vetiver reminds me of the vetiver in Vetiver Tonka, that means it is pretty sweet and not the "green" kind. Overall a very nice scent that I find FBW, but I guess I need to be more familiar with original Bel Ami first...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    I tried the new Bel Ami Vetiver briefly the other day and found it very nice. I am no expert on the original Bal Ami at all so I really can´t dissect it for it´s vetiver.

I can say though, that the new one is pretty strong - not particularly Ellena-ish - and also very refined. The vetiver reminds me of the vetiver in Vetiver Tonka, that means it is pretty sweet and not the "green" kind. Overall a very nice scent that I find FBW, but I guess I need to be more familiar with original Bel Ami first...
    Thanks for the insight and review. I feel I must eventually get this.

(2072)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thanks for the insight and review. I feel I must eventually get this.

(2072)
    Yes, the words "Vetiver" and "Tonka" have perked up my ears. Vetiver Tonka is one of the best vetiver fragrances - hands down - that has ever been created, and maybe one of the best fragrances, period. So if he's taking THAT show on the road, count me in.

Sound Scents

I really am excited to try this one, but the mention of the vetiver being sweet like in Vetiver Tonka has me worried as that is one of only a handful of vetiver compositions I dislike. Still, maybe the accord works better in a different pairing than the original one. I hope to get my nose on this soon to find out...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

I have a very small bottle of Amazone. I don't know how old it is, I purchased it from eBay and it was not expensive. I find it a lovely light scent, I wear it in the spring and summer, and would a lot more if I had more to spare. I've never smelt any where else, as I live in a smaller Canadian city, less common fragrances are hard to come by. Hmmm I did try Kelly caleche a few years ago, thought is was 'ok'.
    If a new version of Amazone is released I would love to try it.

One word can make such a difference...

Been sampling this side by side with Bel Ami (current) they are poles apart. Where BA is soft tan leather with sparkling citrus and cinnamon/cumin spices, BAV is all about, bitter citrus (at opening) with dark musky smokey leather paired with a dominant lush rootsy vetiver. As the fragrance progresses towards drydown things soften up you are left with a gentler smokey vetiver. Projection/longevity seem around par with BA and things get fairly quiet by drydown.

I was ready for this to be a disappointment, but it's actually bloody nice, and deserved is own name rather than have flanker status. JCE did well, it's got whole lot more attitude than you might expect (one may even say butch at least for the opening and heart) and has a vintish feel that makes it instantly comfortable. My admittedly poor nose likes it alot. Should you enjoy leather/vetiver, by all means check this out.

The Hermes SA said it's going to be stocked for 12 months, before moving to the next limited edition. Standard Bel Ami is being retained in parallel and into the future.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    One word can make such a difference...

Been sampling this side by side with Bel Ami (current) they are poles apart. Where BA is soft tan leather with sparkling citrus and cinnamon/cumin spices, BAV is all about, bitter citrus (at opening) with dark musky smokey leather paired with a dominant lush rootsy vetiver. As the fragrance progresses towards drydown things soften up you are left with a gentler smokey vetiver. Projection/longevity seem around par with BA and things get fairly quiet by drydown.

I was ready for this to be a disappointment, but it's actually bloody nice, and deserved is own name rather than have flanker status. JCE did well, it's got whole lot more attitude than you might expect (one may even say butch at least for the opening and heart) and has a vintish feel that makes it instantly comfortable. My admittedly poor nose likes it alot. Should you enjoy leather/vetiver, by all means check this out.

The Hermes SA said it's going to be stocked for 12 months, before moving to the next limited edition. Standard Bel Ami is being retained in parallel and into the future.
    Damn. There goes my New Years resolution!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Damn. There goes my New Years resolution!
    It was quite fast Redneck lol

Blog Entries

It was quite fast Redneck lol
    LMAO! Yeah, I think the resolution was actually the previous post. Hey - WWHD!

(Honestly, I've got the whole year to think it out. But I have a feeling this will get bought. I have waffled on Equipage and Bel Ami, so these are almost no-brainers for me!!!)

Mick - do you happen to have BA vintage? If so, can you do a side by side of BAV with that? Would like to hear such a comparison from anyone else too. Butch & Ellena together seem very difficult to imagine. But your review makes me to look for a sample now, thx...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LMAO! Yeah, I think the resolution was actually the previous post. Hey - WWHD!

(Honestly, I've got the whole year to think it out. But I have a feeling this will get bought. I have waffled on Equipage and Bel Ami, so these are almost no-brainers for me!!!)
    I also like a lot Equipage and Bel Ami. They are two gaps on my Hermes part of my collection, which is one of my favorite houses. At least if you are gonna break your resolution, do it with something that will really please you

Ellena rarely makes ugly perfumes and in this case he already had the genius formula of Jean-Louis Sieuzac to work with. Hard to screw it up. Looking forward to smelling it. Won't be the most interesting thing in the world but probably a lot better than most stuff made today.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st January 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Mick - do you happen to have BA vintage? If so, can you do a side by side of BAV with that? Would like to hear such a comparison from anyone else too. Butch & Ellena together seem very difficult to imagine. But your review makes me to look for a sample now, thx...
    Unfortunately don't have BA vintage to compare, but sure someone else who does will pop up soon with a comparison.

Anyone expecting great longevity will be disappointed, but BAV really shines while it's going. As Pluran rightly notes, it's not ground breaking, but it's still solid and a real pleasure to wear.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Thanks Mick.
    Will keep an eye out for it.

for swap/sale:

Thanks for the analysis and insight Mick. So I have 12 months to secure it.

(2464)

I was prepared to buy Bel Ami vintage early last month, but I came to know it just a little too late. Before I realized what the going prices were, they spiked a good 30~50% based on closing prices through Oct/Nov. Damned it all. Not sure if it's just the cold weather months or bad luck on bumping into new bidding competition. But at this rate, looks like I'll have to settle for BAV. Sounds like it's very nice. I have a 4ml sample of Vetiver Tonka and I like it a lot, although I find the longevity to be lacking... too weak for $240/100ml.

Will pick one up first chance I get

I am sure that whatever Mr. Ellena comes up with will be interesting and well thought out. He is a master of his craft, no question of this. I am guessing that the non availability of critical ingredients for these older era perfumes is the reason for the reworking. Lack of availability and IFRA restriction on their use is probably a reason for these changes. The restrictions on Oakmoss, lemon oil, other citrus oils, coumarin, some animalic musks, sandalwood, some florals and many other material ingredients, now not available, has left these traditionally classic perfume formula not as potent or accurate to their original intent. Most of these older perfumes need to be remodeled otherwise they will fade into unrelevance. You just can not make a chypre that smells like the chypres of old anymore. They probably figure it is best to just be up front about it and tell everyone they are being remodeled. Other materials can be used to make them great again, but the fragrances will be different. I trust J.C. Ellena will do as good a job as anyone can do at this.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 2nd January 2014 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I am sure that whatever Mr. Ellena comes up with will be interesting and well thought out. He is a master of his craft, no question of this. I am guessing that the non availability of critical ingredients for these older era perfumes is the reason for the reworking. Lack of availability and IFRA restriction on their use is probably a reason for these changes. The restrictions on Oakmoss, lemon oil, other citrus oils, coumarin, some animalic musks, sandalwood, some florals and many other material ingredients, now not available, has left these traditionally classic perfume formula not as potent or accurate to their original intent. Most of these older perfumes need to be remodeled otherwise they will fade into unrelevance. You just can not make a chypre that smells like the chypres of old anymore. They probably figure it is best to just be up front about it and tell everyone they are being remodeled. Other materials can be used to make them great again, but the fragrances will be different. I trust J.C. Ellena will do as good a job as anyone can do at this.
    This is a great post!

I agree that a great perfumer like Mr. Elena can only do so much with his hands tied, but I like many of his exclusive scents. I adore his Ambre Narguile, Iris Ukiyo-e and Santal Massoia.

I enjoy the classics like Bel Ami, Equipage, Caleche and Amazone.

It seem like the "new" classics are just a way to market the newly reformulated older scents under the guise of something newer and better.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Probably, every perfumer is forced to reformulate or create another one because of the IFRA restriction.

I want a creation that a perfumer really wants to make.

I hope that JCE will do a good job with BAV and other coming up creations, but I do hope that he also wants to create them and not because of the IFRA regulation...

Whilst I sorely miss some discontinued products (such as Balenciaga's Quadrille & Le Dix), there is so much new stuff around that I'm happy to remember them rather than hoping for 'Version 2'.

Very encouraging. I'm excited about this!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else smell this?

Is it being sold everywhere or only in Hermes boutiques?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Anyone else smell this?

I'm not even sure it has been released in the US yet. I would guess the Hermes Boutiques will have it first when it arrives.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It has not been released in the US yet. I was in Las Vegas a few days ago and visited two Hermes boutiques, one didn't have a clue this was even coming out, the other one told me US release date is March 1.

the other one told me US release date is March 1.
    I was told the same thing at the Hermes boutique in my area.

(3181)