Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Hermes launches Classic Collections; first out Bel Ami Vetiver

Thanks for the update
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Due here soon.

Quite a bright, friendly vetiver opening that has a hint of a succulent green fruit quality (briefly) that over time gives way to the original Bel Ami. A terrific 'warm weather' take on Bel Ami to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Due here soon.

Quite a bright, friendly vetiver opening that has a hint of a succulent green fruit quality (briefly) that over time gives way to the original Bel Ami. A terrific 'warm weather' take on Bel Ami to me.
    Cr*p. My bank account hates this news.

I own and enjoy Vetiver Tonka.

The vetiver accord ( I say accord because it feels more of an accord than unadulterated vetiver) in BA Vetiver is similar to Vetiver Tonka.

This isn't a negative thing. If you really like VT and BA then this is suitable.

This is from a paper strip. I have yet to wear it.

A proper wearing may yield different results.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

I think I know the vetiver accord you're talking about hedonist.

A while ago I saw Vetiver scented drawer papers, for sale in a Hermes boutique. When I smelled them, I instantly thought of Vetiver Tonka.

-- Jack Kerouac

Love the vetiver in VT. I will be on the lookout for this one.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Cr*p. My bank account hates this news.
    Yeah, I reckon it will.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Now THAT caught my attention! I must try this and will eagerly await for March 1st.

Its on the UK website, but still not the US. I'm interested in this one.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Its on the UK website, but still not the US. I'm interested in this one.
    US release date is March 1.

Tried this before Christmas. I think Tonka is a masterpiece but found this new release to be nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    US release date is March 1.
    That's good news. Thanks.

(3674)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Yup, I can't wait for its release on these shores. Vetiver being my favorite note, I'm curious to see what they've done with it.

Anyone who has tried both Vetiver Tonka and this new Bel Ami Vetiver - can you post your impressions/comparisons of these two?

I went thru a sample of it and didn't have any 'aha' moment with regard to VT (which is a personal favourite of mine) but I'll reserve final call until i have worn the new one a few more times. When I say a 'bright' vetiver (which i think I said somewhere) I mean more like the Dior Privé or even the latest Guerlain - i.e. not dark or smoky. Which suits me fine. There may be some commonality between what he's used but if so it didn't reach out and grab me.

i didnt understand if this will be sold in mainstream perfumeries or just in hermes flagship stores ?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by absynthium View Post
    i didnt understand if this will be sold in mainstream perfumeries or just in hermes flagship stores ?
    Mainstream release

-- Jack Kerouac

I have to say I cannot wait to sample this; I mean, for me, even if Bel ami already has vetiver in it, to ramp up the vetiver would seem to produce a dissonance rather than a consonance (in my imagination)... and yet, this seems to have been rather positively received. Interesting.

I sampled this one yesterday. There was a resemblance to Vetiver Tonka, but that's one I really can't get on with. I love the vetiver in Sycomore, for example, but here ... Suffice it to say that I prefer the original Bel Ami.

Just smelled BAV the other day and have been positively surprised. I was ready for a Hermessence vagueness. BAV is absolutely lovely. I don't get much of the vetiver in it though, which makes me think that the apparent 'classiness' of a good vetiver may be something closer to a marketing issue rather than a prominent role in the fragrance here … speaking of which, I'm never sure if it's Hermes that should be happy to have JCE around or JCE who should be happy to have Hermes marketing department scripting some of the best promotional texts over the last years for their Hermessence collection ( Epice Marine's press release read superb, the fragrance is not so particular to me). Has anyone here compared the longlivety of BAV compared to the current formulation of BA ?

theOTE=intersport;I suggest3062085]Just smelled BAV the other day and have been positively surprised. I was ready for a Hermessence vagueness. BAV is absolutely lovely. I don't get much of the vetiver in it though, which makes me think that the apparent 'classiness' of a good vetiver may be something closer to a marketing issue rather than a prominent role in the fragrance here … speaking of which, I'm never sure if it's Hermes that should be happy to have JCE around or JCE who should be happy to have Hermes marketing department scripting some of the best promotional texts over the last years for their Hermessence collection ( Epice Marine's press release read superb, the fragrance is not so particular to me). Has anyone here compared the longlivety of BAV compared to the current formulation of BA ?[/QUOTE]

The vetiver is prominent from the very opening.
    I suggest your further familiarize yourself with vetiver. Perhaps you can pick up a bit of the essential oil.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    theOTE=intersport;I suggest3062085]Just smelled BAV the other day and have been positively surprised. I was ready for a Hermessence vagueness. BAV is absolutely lovely. I don't get much of the vetiver in it though, which makes me think that the apparent 'classiness' of a good vetiver may be something closer to a marketing issue rather than a prominent role in the fragrance here … speaking of which, I'm never sure if it's Hermes that should be happy to have JCE around or JCE who should be happy to have Hermes marketing department scripting some of the best promotional texts over the last years for their Hermessence collection ( Epice Marine's press release read superb, the fragrance is not so particular to me). Has anyone here compared the longlivety of BAV compared to the current formulation of BA ?
    The vetiver is prominent from the very opening.
    I suggest your further familiarize yourself with vetiver. Perhaps you can pick up a bit of the essential oil.[/QUOTE]

you are absolutely right, familiarising oneself with a vétiver is always a good thing - an ongoing learning process - since many years Malle's Vétiver Extraordinaire is one of the fragrances I am getting back to once or twice a week, this is pretty close to a vétiver essence, also the sadly discontinued and much lighter Vétiver Pour Elle i do well remember, however with BAV, which I finds just lovely, I don't get much vétiver… what do you think in terms of longlivety of BAV compared to the current formulation of BA ?

Intersport , I only very briefly tried BAV & will therefore comment once I've given it a thorough wearing.
    But the test strip lasted long, in my car. A solid week.
    Which I actually found to be disappointing. I'm not very keen on industrial-grade longevity....

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Many (most?) scents can last several days on a paper strip, so I wouldn't take that as a good indication that BAV would last like that on skin. Remember, we humans sweat, wash, shower, use soap, etc... I'd be surprised if BAV lasted more than 10-12 hours on skin - that would be very un-Hermes. Most of their fragrances are meant to be light(ish), especially the Hermessence line, so that you can use two or even three different ones in a single day as you shower and change clothes throughout the day and go from one place to another.

Vetiver Tonka lasts a good 10+ hours on my skin, but when I sprayed it on a paper strip and left it on my desk, I could still smell it 5-6 days later. The original Bel Ami lasts a solid 12 hours on skin, it's one of the longer lasting Hermes fragrances. But again, on paper strip it will easily last 5-6 days as well.

Has anyone tried the "classics" in the new bottles? I was at a Hermes boutique a couple of weeks ago and they were making such a fuss that "only the bottles have changed, not the contents", and yet Equipage was not how I remembered it. I remember more of a blend of spices, now it's clove dominant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

I'm curious about this as well... Bel Ami is one of my all time favorite fragrances, I would like to find out whether they changed just the bottle, or the formula as well.

I'll be at a Hermes store at the beginning of March to pick up the new Bel Ami Vetiver, and will definitely try to get samples (or a full bottle) of the new-bottle Bel Ami as well, to see if it's any different.

If it's anything like the boring Vetiver Tonka or Dior Vetiver then it's unfortunate. There aren't many options for a good in-house perfumer but Hermes probably needs to move on from Ellena. Not that Hermes would want him to (as with most leathers the original Bel Ami was never a big seller) but it's unlikely he could ever make something as good as the original Bel Ami if his life depended on it.

Like most fragrances today most of these were probably focus group winners. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 6th February 2014 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Sacrilege!!!! Dior Vetiver is my all time favorite vetiver out there. :-) I like Vetiver Tonka, for when I want something light, quiet, contemplative, but I agree, it doesn't shout, it's too safe for many fragheads here on BN.
    They aren't bad. Plenty of quality about them. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    There aren't many options for a good in-house perfumer but Hermes probably needs to move on from Ellena. Not that Hermes would want him to (as with most leathers the original Bel Ami was never a big seller) but it's unlikely he could ever make something as good as the original Bel Ami if his life depended on it.

Like most fragrances today most of these were probably focus group winners. :-)

I was to voice this out abt few months back, but feared too much of a backlash might happen here & didn't want to sound negative ahead of a product release; but I agree with you word on word on Ellena to move off Hermes...