Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fragrance houses you generally dislike

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    Before I entered this thread it automatically dawned on me this would become a Creed-Bashing event.

Let's simply rename this thread as: "Who Hates Creed?"
    Glad to see someone in this thread has common sense...
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

Thierry Mugler

Before I entered this thread it automatically dawned on me this would become a Creed-Bashing event.

Let's simply rename this thread as: "Who Hates Creed?"

If you feel a certain way then how about some discussion or reasoning from you rather than childish comments.
    In fact how about making some contribution anywhere on these boards other than breathless fawning over the company.
    If I remember correctly you were the one who posted so many times in a thread about a new Creed scent that even the moderators stepped in to ask what was going on.
    You can say what you like about me, I make no attempt to hide my scorn for the Creed company and am used to being attacked by fanboys but I think you will find that most of the posters in this thread do not have a particular axe to grind.

I have not found a bottle from these houses that I would like to purchase / keep. However, I'll keep sniffing.

Aramis
    Bulgari
    Cartier
    Chanel
    D&G
    Ed Hardy
    Lacoste
    Nautica
    Tom Ford Private Blend
    Salvatore Ferragamo

Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

Hugo Boss
    Everything new from Gucci

Houses I dislike with no exceptions:

Hugo Boss - utter crap, year after year, time after time. No redeeming aesthetic value, let alone fragrance.
    Kenneth Cole - I wore reaction a long time ago. It got me compliments. And then I realized I hated it.

Houses I dislike, with one or two exceptions:

Davidoff
    Creed (Bois du Portugal, but I haven't tried the entire line)
    Bond No. 9 (New Haarlem, but I haven't tried the entire line yet (how many released so far, like 60?)

'Fallen star' houses:

YSL - As long as YSL was alive and generally running the show, almost each release if not brilliant was an ode to a particular kind of Man: Pour Homme, Kouros, Jazz, Body Kouros, Live Jazz, M7, Rive gauche pour Homme. M7 Fresh was the last of them. I know of no other example where (marketing-wise) a house had a mirror for each of their releases, and several for Kouros. Brilliant. And then came the shit after that.

Gucci - They brought out Rush and Envy for men and women, I & II for men and women (Okay, the II's were not so hot, I admit) all in the space of 5-odd years and then fell flat. Tom Ford deserves all the credit he gets for his time there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uhbhatti88 View Post
    Tom Ford deserves all the credit he gets for his time there.
    Totally agreed!

Perry Ellis, Penguin, Ferragamo and besides Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Ralph Lauren have all been houses I've avoided. There's plenty of others I've yet to test, but the above have always led to disappointment for me.

Montale
    Byerdo
    JPG
    Hugo Boss

Basenotes Plus

Mugler- I just don't resonate with "Mugler" and the gourmands are overwhelming to me.
    Bond No. 9-I am now only 4 samples into a lot of 20 samples, but so far am just not thrilled. If the trends changes, I will edit.
    Montale, perhaps. I have only tried several, and they leave me cold.

Mugler
    Hugo Boss

Mugler (I like gourmand, but somehow his versions seem like snow cone syrup, yuk!)

Creed ( I don't hate it, but nothing has enticed me enough to make a purchase, the price point doesn't help of course.)

L'Artisan doesn't really wow me, save the latest, amour Noctourne, most of their fragrances are barely detectable on my skin after 20 minutes.

Bond No 9 just bore me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Mugler (I like gourmand, but somehow his versions seem like snow cone syrup, yuk!)
    You should try the Mirror Mirror series.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    If you feel a certain way then how about some discussion or reasoning from you rather than childish comments.
    In fact how about making some contribution anywhere on these boards other than breathless fawning over the company.
    If I remember correctly you were the one who posted so many times in a thread about a new Creed scent that even the moderators stepped in to ask what was going on.
    You can say what you like about me, I make no attempt to hide my scorn for the Creed company and am used to being attacked by fanboys but I think you will find that most of the posters in this thread do not have a particular axe to grind.
    Looks like someone woke up in a chicken coup, and decided to throw rocks at the thrown! Let me guess; It must be another one of those "Creed Haters" on the prowl.

On that note, I think this occasion calls for another spritz of Millesime 1849 [Glossy Green & Golden accent edition]

Basenotes Plus

I used to love Gucci up until Tom Ford left the building. I think the only other good thing that ever came out of that house after TF was GpH II. Anything after that has been cat piss, not worth the price in pesos, never mind dollars. It would take a major miracle to make me interested in that house ever again.

Generally - I dislike most department store brands, like Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Nautica, etc, with their uninspired, generic sport/calone bombs. You could swap labels between them all and you wouldn't notice anything - they could all be released under each others' brands, there's no "family resemblance" to speak of between any of their houses. Seems like all approved by the exact same focus group.

Basenotes Plus

Looks like someone woke up in a chicken coup, and decided to throw rocks at the thrown! Let me guess; It must be another one of those "Creed Haters" on the prowl.

On that note, I think this occasion calls for another spritz of Millesime 1849 [Glossy Green & Golden accent edition]
    Agreed. The problem with using terms such as "fan boy" is that they are really basically condescending and dismissive; i.e. "if you really like this product, you must be uncritical or just a sycophant. " Frankly, reactivly calling someone a "fan boy" is basically engaging in the same type of behavior one is critiquing.

For product portfolio I dislike Amouage & By Killian

Haven't smelled any of his creation but I hate Roja Dove, too obnoxious & fake

In the past I would mention Creed but nowadays we have so many houses that use bullshit marketing skims to high-jack the price tags for average/copycats products so Creed is not a stand out anymore
    Last edited by jasonx; 21st December 2013 at 08:26 PM.

The Mugler DNA is just awful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Haven't smelled any of his creation but I hate Roja Dove, too obnoxious & fake
    Agree with this one. Tired of people calling Creed pretentious and overpriced, when there is Roja Dove out there. People laugh at the Creed use of the word "Royal", but never mention him and the tagline on his website "THE FINEST FRAGRANCES IN THE WORLD". I beg to differ.

Blog Entries

I don't really think I dislike any of them - I just don't feel a strong attraction - I'm indifferent. Glad they're doing well in business, but looking elsewhere for my own needs.

Gucci and Hugo Boss have fallen on hard times in my corner of the world. I'm not a big fan of Annick Goutal or Jo Malone, either. I like a few of their fragrances very much, but they just tend not to be big attractors.

So Olivier Creed is sitting on a throne now ? (I assume that's what you meant by "thrown")
    You appear to be beyond parody, though I'd like to be able to tempt you to comment further just to see how far your elitism (or maybe you are just delusional) actually stretches

Is Basenotes even necessary anymore?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Agree with this one. Tired of people calling Creed pretentious and overpriced, when there is Roja Dove out there. People laugh at the Creed use of the word "Royal", but never mention him and the tagline on his website "THE FINEST FRAGRANCES IN THE WORLD". I beg to differ.
    Well, I think the title of the king of pretentiousness and overpriced hype belongs to Clive Christian. I don't know how a ***kitchen cabinet maker*** can wake up one day and decide to make the world's most expensive perfume, and yet people are eating up that hype like there is no tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Well, I think the title of the king of pretentiousness and overpriced hype belongs to Clive Christian. I don't know how a ***kitchen cabinet maker*** can wake up one day and decide to make the world's most expensive perfume, and yet people are eating up that hype like there is no tomorrow.
    LOL

I think it's the pretty ladies with British accents and fans. Man, I'm a sucker for that stuff.

But seriously, not interested. By Kilian does the same deep, strong complexity with a sense of sleekness, as opposed to grandiosity, and I'd rather have sleek.

Out of the four or five Tom Ford scents I've tried, I couldn't get into his stuff. He seems to take a nice concept and ruin it with a heavy handed approach.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    So Olivier Creed is sitting on a throne now? You appear to be beyond parody

Olivier, Who??? Did I mention anything about him, or his name? Nope, I did not. -Thanks for the careless uttering which again I don't need.

You appear to be beyond drunk, Martiniho. By the way, that fragrance wardrobe seems like something from a George Burns estate sale. Too Old, and Too Outdated.

The squabbling children usually accomplish two things: they get threads closed and get a warning to discontinue their childish squabbling.