Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default "Store-wide discounts! (excludes fragrances...)

Why is it every time a dept. store offers store-wide discounts, it ALWAYS excludes fragrances? Fragrances and Jewelry are the two largest mark-ups a dept. store has, yet every time a store sends me a "Take 25% off any item, or Take $10 off any item over $10, or any store-wide sale promo, it ALWAYS says in small print "excludes fragrances" ? I rarely buy dept. store frags anyway, but I just got a nice $10 off any item card and thought "what the heck..." until I read the small print. Anything in the entire store...except fragrances.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 9th December 2013 at 07:23 PM.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: "Store-wide discounts! (excludes fragrances...)

The only time I can remember when fragrances weren't excluded was when Saks used to have their once a year Family & Friends special invite sale. Think they stopped doing this a few years ago. It is frustrating though.
    (1339)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Just like when Foot Locker does their sale..
    It always excludes Air Force One's-Jordan's- and Air Max..

They figure it will sell anyway

Cosmetics and perfumes are never on sale - as you say, probably because the margins are high and they want to keep them that way. Also, unlike clothes, the product is usually sold for a few years, while clothes are renewed every season.

cacio

This is a reason I buy fragrances online almost exclusively. I have wanted Sahara Noir since it came out but refused the $150 pricetag. Found it on ebay from a seller I have used before and trusted for $119 with free shipping. Perhaps if stores knew they were losing sales they would offer better prices occasionally...nah. The corporations need more money so it won't happen.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Blog Entries

Here in the UK, Boots often have discounts on fragrances, especially in the run-up to Christmas.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Some of the larger department stores here occasionally include fragrances in store-wide reductions but exclude some lines.
    There's at least one running at the moment - details may be posted in Discounts & Coupons.
    Last edited by lpp; 9th December 2013 at 09:02 AM.

Its the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Cosmetics and perfumes are never on sale - as you say, probably because the margins are high and they want to keep them that way. Also, unlike clothes, the product is usually sold for a few years, while clothes are renewed every season.

cacio
    For the bolded reasons above IMO.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

IMO, the Dept. Stores are shooting themselves in the foot. I've talked with many a SA who says how they have lost customers to "THE INTERNET". Well, they quit giving out samples, they refuse to put frags on sale, and then offer cheezy promos like a free plastic toiletries bag with purchase, then wonder why they are loosing to the internet? Funny, I would have popped into Kohl's and looked over their frags if they had been included in the promo, I might even have bought an impulse buy of something else...now they lost possibly two sales. Yea, I'll stick to the internet, The J. C. Penny's in my area stopped selling frags altogether, it wasn't paying for it's counter space. They had also stopped giving out any samples a few years earlier...Hmm...coincidence?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

The Dept. stores lure customers in that way.

Did you just read the Macy's circular...lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

In the UK we have to be grateful for 10% only off. Its not worth the effort.
    DONNA