Code of Conduct

Thread: Apres l'Ondée

Default Apres l'Ondée

Is there a version of this fragrance available commercially that is representative of the classic version(s)?
    Has been on my Try List almost from Day 1,
    tia,
    j

Default Re: Apres l'Ondée

No, it has been reformulated due to the usual IFRA restrictions. Besides, even the reformulation is quite expensive, as it is now in one of the Guerlain exclusive lines. I have not smelled the modern variety, so I cannot compare. Luca Turin calls it a (good) iris, whereas the original was a very unique combination of violet, herbs, heliotropin, and iris.

Your are right on wanting to try it. It smells like nothing sold today, the style went out of fashion long ago. It is powdery, pale, Luca Turin described this genre as Ophelia, and indeed, it smells very dreamy and a little nostalgic.

Apparently, some BNers here say that in vintage extrait form AO is not too far off l'heure bleue. I have not smelled either extraits, but in edt, they are different, though they both share the heliotropin and a certain dreamy quality. Of course, HB has been reformulated too.
    cacio

thanks

Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear this. It's possible you might find an older bottle on Ebay, but you have to be careful.

We want a 'Niche' forum.

Unfortunately I've only read about vintage Apres l'Ondee but I've been experimenting with heliotropin and orris and have come up with an accord--very lovely, really--of the two in what sounds like it might be similar to the one in AO. One perfume writer I've read (Luca Turin?) said that this accord has the makings of "a first class funeral," but that the secret was a layer of spices in the top notes.

Heliotropin iris, sounds wonderful! A touch of violet up top and some herbs and indeed that's the structure of AO.
    (It's not so much spices in the usual sense, which makes you think immediately about an oriental or a bad modern masculine. it's more a touch of herbs, ie things like thyme, rosemary, sage, but very discreet).

cacio

Yes, I'm thinking of a little methyl ionone.

I was rather shocked when I lifted the current tester on counter, its a very pretty iris fragrance but not Apres L'Ondee.

I am fortunate to own the parfum and older edt, its all heliotrope and a dusty powder vibe. I had a compliment once when wearing it from a bank teller, who told me I smelt like old fashion dusting powder and what was it? She was very into vintage clothes etc.

By the way the parfum smells very similar to L'Heure Bleu in parfum, they could be sisters.
    DONNA

i have about 15 ml left in an old bottle honestly is a true particular frag ,beautiful to smell but very soft with minimum sillage ,longevity and projection for me is a fragrance to spray on your pillow before go to sleep

you guys are saying that the current 100 ml bottle is discontinued and only available as a bee bottle?