Code of Conduct

Default anyone else disappointed with Green Irish Tweed?

with all the praise it has gotten, i can totally get it. i see all of it's strong points. however, like other creed fragrance, this one is just difficult with me. and no, not just on my skin, on paper, clothes and fabrics.

i've been wearing cool water for years. sampling GIT felt heavenly. then i bought a bottle and it was nothing like what i was expecting. it was really spicy, sometimes to the point of irritation. and the violet and/or iris gave it a tinge of a sweetness that could have been toned down. lastly, that fresh lemon opening is elusive and seems to vanish if it's ever there to begin with. GIT, for the first time ever, felt rough.

i don't think it's a fake. when i compare the two, i notice the difference, but there's just a gentleness and aquatic burst of cool water that GIT doesn't have. and i HIGHLY DOUBT it's a batch variation.

more likely, i'm just more exposed to fragrances than i was back then. i'm impressed less now. its a sad story.

but when GIT does resonate, it resonates like no other fragrance. i just have to deal with occasions where its either too potent or too faint to detect notes.

i should clarify: not a bad fragrance at all. on the whole, i love it and dont regret my purchase at all. i just feel the fragrance can be difficult and i have to work around it's schedule rather than it working around mine. it kind of shatters the image of perfection i had in my mind but in the end, it is what it is.
    Last edited by SereneGreen; 9th December 2013 at 04:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: anyone else disappointed with Green Irish Tweed?

That would explain my own relationship with GIT. Sometimes it just knocks me over with its beauty, and sometimes it just fails. I wouldn't say I'm happy I'm not alone, but it's helpful to know that it's not just me.

Interestingly, I feel the same about Cool Water. I thought it was amazing a few times when I sampled, but was left unimpressed other times.

Basenotes Plus

GIT's opening is pretty rough for me a lot of the time. It's an amazing fragrance that got me started with my perfume obsession, but I don't wear it that often because of the top notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. I think it's VERY versatile. But I don't get the super duper high praise. It's a little blah & boring to me. Nothing that blows my brains out. An easy reach when you don't know what to wear kinda fragrance for me.

I have to say it took me three or four bottles of buying and selling before I got to like it and finally settled with a bottle early in 2013.

I don't know why and I can't explain it, but I thought of it as too much of a "fern" scent at first, quite similar to laundry powder or cleaner. All of a sudden and after getting in on a split, I just understood it and liked it a lot. I like it now for it's wearability, unbelievable sandalwood dry down (anyone who knows my posts well by now knows that I'm addicted to that note) and for the violet note in the early stages of the scent.

No I like it very much.

It just smells so good without requiring you to be in a certain mood (like you need to be for challenging perfumes).

for swap/sale:

Always makes me feel like I'm walking past the obnoxious smell blowing out of Abercrombie & Fitch. The one that makes me veer to the other side of the mall before the smell hits me and does all it can to flatten out the next fifteen minutes of my day.

No disappointment here. Have always loved this scent. One of the house's classic offerings.
    (1359)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    That would explain my own relationship with GIT. Sometimes it just knocks me over with its beauty, and sometimes it just fails. I wouldn't say I'm happy I'm not alone, but it's helpful to know that it's not just me.

Interestingly, I feel the same about Cool Water. I thought it was amazing a few times when I sampled, but was left unimpressed other times.

yeah, exactly. thanks.

to me, GIT is disappointing. it's the fragrance i wish i could give an A+, but i'll have to peg it down to B+ because of it's temperamental mood

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I have to say it took me three or four bottles of buying and selling before I got to like it and finally settled with a bottle early in 2013.

I don't know why and I can't explain it, but I thought of it as too much of a "fern" scent at first, quite similar to laundry powder or cleaner. All of a sudden and after getting in on a split, I just understood it and liked it a lot. I like it now for it's wearability, unbelievable sandalwood dry down (anyone who knows my posts well by now knows that I'm addicted to that note) and for the violet note in the early stages of the scent.
    Wow, this is my experience with it word for word thus far. I sure do love it now though.

Not an everyday scent, but one I enjoy when wearing.

I have been on the fence with it.

As the first premium frag I am about to purchase, this is my pre-purchase conclusion.

1) Positive reviews seem to vastly outweigh negative ones, although I won't wear something I cannot tolerate or think isn't worth the price.
    2) I over-applied the first couple of skin tests, and think the results turned me off. Too much of a good thing, and I wasn't used to the lighter application needed and required of finer frags. I haven't applied intentionally lighter yet to sample, but believe the GIT deodorant and light frag application will be a success for me, and worthy of a full bottle.
    3) Does it set the world on fire? In my opinion, no, but is super versatile and non-offensive to most who encounter it.

I am one of those paranoid about buying something like this from a non-authorized Creed retailer, because my sampling has been done at Neiman, and I just don't think I can handle a disappointment, since that sampling has gone well. It's just me, but I don't have a lot of extra money to gamble with.

My confidence with FragranceNet may go up though, when I receive samples this week. That should be a good indication of the quality of their bottles.

Considering my limited experience and research of GIT, I'll probably buy the deodorant and a small bottle soon.

51, typical office, fairly active Dad of two young boys.

Good luck.

It's one of freshest scents out there....in comparing both I would say Cool water is like a 480p TV and GIT is like a 3D flat screen more profound , vivid....It's just not working for me no more as I had both and both are great for what they are but not my cup of tea but appreciate well made classics.....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    It's one of freshest scents out there....in comparing both I would say Cool water is like a 480p TV and GIT is like a 3D flat screen more profound , vivid....It's just not working for me no more as I had both and both are great for what they are but not my cup of tea but appreciate well made classics.....
    I agree with this analogy - nicely put together. It was not my initial belief as I actually found them so close but then I appreciated how well refined GIT is.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    i agree. you could call Green Irish Tweed an HD version of Cool Water.

Extremely disappointed but not with the quality of the scent, more with it's performance. I need five sprays to get any longevity and projection out of it, and will do touch ups in any saks fifth avenue around when I'm out and about. I enjoy the smell, but not worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Extremely disappointed but not with the quality of the scent, more with it's performance. I need five sprays to get any longevity and projection out of it.
    From my limited sampling, I would say that I didn't get huge projection, but didn't really want it for this one. It's fresh and to me, doesn't need to shout.

Longevity, considering that I was ok with the two-foot dome of projection, was acceptable.

For me, I think it is going to have a deserved place in the rotation. I haven't found anything with the same notes that is as pure smelling without being cloying and synthetic.

for me, longevity is fine. 6 hours is enough.

but projection is an issue. for the first 5 minutes, its a MONSTER. then its really light

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    for me, longevity is fine. 6 hours is enough.

but projection is an issue. for the first 5 minutes, its a MONSTER. then its really light
    I get 3-4 with three sprays. My skin eats up perfume. I'm the same though, 5 minutes it's loud then just a skin scent. Great for hugs I suppose.

GIT is a perfect office scent and is well received and not so boisterous it puts people off when in a confined space. To me a well composed fragrance that seems to last the whole day for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    I get 3-4 with three sprays. My skin eats up perfume. I'm the same though, 5 minutes it's loud then just a skin scent. Great for hugs I suppose.
    mine burns it up. so i get the sandalwood immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    i agree. you could call Green Irish Tweed an HD version of Cool Water.
    I agree with this.
    at first I liked GIT and couldn't stand Cool Water. Having tried them both several more times I don't see such a great gap any more.
    The bottom line for me is I find them both kind of loud and predictable.

Not so much in my case. In fact, I came into contact with this fragrance expecting it to be almost identical to Cool Water and was surprised to sense (at least from a personal perspective) additional layers of complexity to it.

I like GIT a lot. Not my favorite scent, not even one of my 5 favorites from Creed. But very nice. However, I think I like Bond No. 9 Chez Bond a little more - and I think it has better longevity.

GIT was one of my biggest disappointments. It smells like cat pee on me and no woman I've ever asked to smell my sample has like it. Not one.

It's nice enough.
    Not FBW for me, but I can see why lots of people like it.
    I don't get it when people say it smells green. Clean, yes, but green? I may be missing something (lots of things, in fact), but to me this just shows the power of suggestion when you put something like green or black in a name.

Quote Originally Posted by dazhel View Post
    It smells like cat pee on me and no woman I've ever asked to smell my sample has like it. Not one.
    I will admit that I ended up with a fake once. A really bad one. As in like it was antifreeze with a little essential oils, and yeah, that was repulsive. Just glad I didn't waltz into work before realizing it.

Since then, I have been doing full, real-world skin testing from testers at Neiman and love the genuine juice. Will it be my holy grail? Doubt it. Will it see as much use as anything else? Probably.

Just don't like the smell of it. Always makes me think of hairy chests, fake tans and atrocious medallions