Code of Conduct

Default What do I need to know about teeth whitening?

I need advice regarding teeth whitening, has anyone done this? There are many different processes, which method is most effective.. And how long do they last. I'm not worried about price as long as it's clearly teeth whitening and not just something that doesn't work.

Default Re: What do I need to know about teeth whitening?

Sorry, no idea but we'll move this thread to Male Grooming & see if anyone has any experience to share.

I'm going to use Crest Whitestrips professional. Anyone else use this? Does it work?

Why don't you try darkening your skin instead?
    It will have the effect of making your teeth look whiter and you won't have to worry about it going wrong...

I have used strips with marginal results, especially considering the cost.

I got far better results with custom-made take home trays from my dentist. Around $100 it seems like.

Ask them for desensitizing gel and samples of toothpaste for sensitive teeth.

I was pretty sensitive to the whitener and had to space out my whitenings, but it worked best. Best bang for the buck.

Try brushing your teeth with hydrogen-peroxide once a day for an entire month and see if that works before you decide to buy an expensive whitening kit.

Blog Entries

I had dental molds made and used professional bleach. I was supposed to do this for 3 weeks. After only a few days my teeth became very sensitive. Tingly and cold. I quit using it. I suppose I could go back to it and use it for a day or 2 at a time. I don't think the strips would do much good because they won't have contact with all of the tooth. The molds cost about $230 a few years ago. Your mileage may vary.

I bought Crest Whitestrips professional which has a higher concentration of h202

I will have to look into this as I am a huge hot tea drinker at least two to three time a day perhaps more in the colder months. I am a big fan of Top Gear UK version and Clarkson and May always gives Hammond down the road on how white his teeth are. I was tempted to go through the teeth whitening light on board my last cruise but I think I have heard in the past this is only a temporary solution and some have had a sensitive outcome to it that killed the benefits. I think the dentist would be the best and safest solution. I will have to investigate further on this.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

There was an extensive discussion about teeth whitening in, I believe, the old OFF TOPIC Board but it doesn't seem to be available any longer.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Plus

I had this done by my dentist. A few shades whiter, not hollywood white. The only thing you need to worry about is teeth sensitivity. I got slight shooting pains down to the root but nothing major.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The thing about teeth whitening: there is white and then there is WHITE. Some folks will continue to whiten their teeth to the point where they compete with refrigerator-white. It looks unnatural. The trick is knowing and stopping when enough is enough.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I bought the polanight treatment like a year ago and I have not used it yet.... and the liquid or gel (I really don't know) is about to expire in April 2014.... I think I will start using it in about two weeks and check the results.... my doctor told me to use sensitive toothpaste before getting started with the treatment this is because teeth get very sensitive using polanight

Using a Sonicare toothbrush really helps.

I used Crest Whitestrips Advanced and it seemed to help brighten my teeth a few shades. A lot of it has to do with drinking coffee and tea. If you do drink those, be sure to follow up with a water rinse or even better, a quick brushing with a low abrasive toothpaste.

Be careful with those "extreme white" products. They may help whiten your teeth but they may also do some damage to your enamel. Better to have REAL teeth that are normal in color than dentures.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Better to have REAL teeth that are normal in color than dentures.
    <<<--- This.

I eat dark chacolate / home made dark cocoa drink (much different than "drinking chocolate) at least once a day - so over the yrs some "browning" was inevitable. But my teeth are clean - all i do is brush twice a day & I gargle a few times with water after whatever I eat / drink. My dentist believes I floss - I have never once flossed in my life...So go figure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I had dental molds made and used professional bleach. I was supposed to do this for 3 weeks. After only a few days my teeth became very sensitive. Tingly and cold.
    Yeah same with me. I use the trays with the bleach and after two or so consecutive wearings my teeth got extremely sensitive. I still use them, but only every two or three days. These seem to give me pretty good results. Not sure about strips or anything else.

I have been doing the hydrogen peroxide thing for way over a year now, and it has produced very satisfying, natural white looking results for me. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings I mix a small amount of baking soda with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to form a wet paste. I always use a Braun Electric toothbrush to do a good cleaning with this mixture, then I rinse my mouth thoroughly with water. After this, I brush normally using my regular toothpaste.

I am a heavy coffee drinker, 8 to 10 cups a day, but with this method, you wouldn't know it by the color of my teeth.
    And, hydrogen peroxide is dirt cheap.

You don't notice anything different with your teeth, like an increased sensitivity to hot and cold liquids? Have you consulted with your dentist about your practice? I'm wondering what he'd think about the effects on your tooth enamel.