Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Considering a blind buy of Chanel Pour Monsieur

It's held in high regard, and I'm thinking of making it a holiday gift for myself. Unfortunately it's difficult to sample Chanel fragrances around these parts (look at my post last year when a salesperson at a department store refused to let me try Egoiste because it was too "old man"!)

What could this be compared to?

Default Re: Considering a blind buy of Chanel Pour Monsieur

The plain Chanel Pour Monsieur (*not* concentree) is a good masculine citrus. Think (current) Eau Sauvage or Eau d'Hadrien, but somewhat less zingy and more solid. the current version is less mossy than vintage, but is still ok. It is very difficult to find in the US, but is available in Europe or Canada.

However, do not confuse it with the pour monsieur concentree, which smells more synthetic, and I would rather buy other citruses - not necessarily the ones above, but perhaps Piguet Cravache.

cacio

Dependent

I'm in Europe now, and stopped in one of the duty-free stores in Paris last week to take a few sniffs. Pour Monsieur was on my list, and I found it very similar to Eau Sauvage. As Cacio said, maybe a bit more stout. Being a fan of Eau Sauvage, this similarity is attractive, but its close enough that I'd also say "redundant". I'd take either one.

Just be aware that it does have a kind of old-school air about it. If you like that, then you'll likely fine it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The plain Chanel Pour Monsieur (*not* concentree) is a good masculine citrus. Think (current) Eau Sauvage or Eau d'Hadrien, but somewhat less zingy and more solid. the current version is less mossy than vintage, but is still ok. It is very difficult to find in the US, but is available in Europe or Canada.

However, do not confuse it with the pour monsieur concentree, which smells more synthetic, and I would rather buy other citruses - not necessarily the ones above, but perhaps Piguet Cravache.

cacio
    Yes, I was looking at the concentree (which IS easily available in US, the regular version not so much.) If the concentree isn't good, I'll pass until I pass through Europe and find a nice duty-free store.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The plain Chanel Pour Monsieur (*not* concentree) is a good masculine citrus. Think (current) Eau Sauvage or Eau d'Hadrien, but somewhat less zingy and more solid.
    This is a perfect description.
    (1386)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

This is well safe now -- blind buy territory.

The original had a strong mossy drydown and I would have suggested testing first.

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    It's held in high regard, and I'm thinking of making it a holiday gift for myself. Unfortunately it's difficult to sample Chanel fragrances around these parts (look at my post last year when a salesperson at a department store refused to let me try Egoiste because it was too "old man"!)

I would buy a sample, i dont think its safe, you got to like old school masculine frags. It is good though.

I let 6 women at work smell PM Concentree. Every one of them liked it. Quite a few said they really liked it. It was actually surprising to me. It's a great scent. Projects VERY strongly initially.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Banned
    Blog Entries

order a sample online. but blind buying (any fragrance) is not recommended unless you don't mind the prospect of being dissatisfied.

Also, a slight similarity with YSL pour Homme, in terms of linear, inoffensive but elegantly simple male citrus.
    Thus, in my opinion, a quite safe blind buy for the fans of citrus scent.

Current Eau Sauvage is missing the wee bit stuffy note (but I like it) what I guess to be oakmoss that's somehow still in PM. Compare PM with older Eau Sauvage and the similarities are greater. If you like older Eau Sauvage then PM is worth considering. PM is less zingy and not as flowery as Eau Sauvage. Still it's very good stuff. Probably will not appeal to a young(er) audience. Take 1 Million, the Boss range, AdGio and the likes, now make a 180 degree turn and start walking. Way beyond the horizon that's where you find Chanel's PM.

Blind buy? Dunno, try to sample first. Be safe.

Oh, and if you were refused to sample Egoiste then good luck with trying to sample PM. IMO PM is even more "old skool" than Egoiste is...

Please take note, the Concentree version isn't a more potent version of regular PM. They're both different frags. Apparently the regular PM is difficult to find in the USA.
    Last edited by Beftus; 9th December 2013 at 10:29 PM.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Ageism, fascism ignorance and stupidity.

Re. CPM, I recently got hold of the original "A Gentleman's Aftershave" (obviously not the edt ) and it is very reminiscent of Givenchy Monsieur. However I didn't notice that with the modern day CPM edt.
    I think it would be a safe blind buy for most people who were interested in that kind of scent.
    I can't think of anything to fault it. Highly recommended in my book.

It is only safe as a blind buy if you like this style of fragrance. I like the smell of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree but it's not that special really - its kind of old fashioned with a powdery aura around the citrus opening. The original Pour Monsieur is much more lemony and has a dry finish from oak moss. The Concentree has patchouli with light musk in the base for a more modern feel. Similar to Monsieur Givenchy and also Tiffany for Men. I like all of these about the same but there are slight differences so try them first.
    favorites: • galloway • coze 02 • black citrus • mississippi medicine • on the road • king's road • suedois • onda voile ex • incense flash • btv imperial • chocolatL • chypre 21 • byerley

Possibly one of the all-time safest blind buys. Go for it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Try something from the Allure series

I feel it's a safe blind buy, but then again this fragrance (not the concentree) is in my top 5. It's fantastic. A shame it's so hard to obtain in the USA.

Basenotes Member

Don't. I got a sample, and cannot stand it.

Both the regular and Concentree are excellent fragrances, though the longevity and sillage on the regular is quite poor..

I would say it is very safe blind buy

I think the Concentree is very good. It's the only bottle I've owned that I regret selling.

Powdery spicy citrus frag, a bit on the elegant formal side, but not so much so that you can't wear it comfortably in normal situations. Go for it.
    My wardrobe is finally up to date as of 12/27/15.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I think the Concentree is very good. It's the only bottle I've owned that I regret selling.

Powdery spicy citrus frag, a bit on the elegant formal side, but not so much so that you can't wear it comfortably in normal situations. Go for it.
    Just from the description, would you say it's close to PdN NY? Because that wears horribly on me.

you MUST like lavender. It has a lot of it, but it is almost a cologne. It did not last on my skin too long.

Pour Monsieur is beautiful and very subtle. I love it but could see how some could be underwhelmed by its lack of potency. Definitely worth a try but probably best to sample. I got my bottle in U.S. On EBAY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Just from the description, would you say it's close to PdN NY? Because that wears horribly on me.
    Good question. While there may be some similarities, it's also quite different.

I did not like New York when I owned it. It's hard to remember, but I think it came off as bitter and serious, and not much more than a prickly, lemony lavender scent. (note, this was the re-formulated version)

CPMC is sweeter--with the lavender you also get a very healthy dose of spicy-sweet cardamom and vanilla. Combine that with the orange and it all results in a sweet powdery spicy citrus. I would not describe New York in this way. I find it a friendlier, more sensual, and more likable fragrance than NY.
    My wardrobe is finally up to date as of 12/27/15.

Wearing it now thanks to getting a small decant - this is nice so far! No idea whether it is bottle worthy or not. Seems like it'd do better in warm weather?

One of my all time favorites.

Wearing it now thanks to getting a small decant - this is nice so far! No idea whether it is bottle worthy or not. Seems like it'd do better in warm weather?
    Its a all year scent in my oppinion. The highest level of elegance you can get.

All year round but if pressed I'd say more towards spring/summer. It's a subtle, calming scent. Be patient and it will come to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

I wish CPM orginal had better longevity ! Its a fantastic scent, no wonder it is so highly ranked even now. However, its a shame it doesn't last long. I've held back my decision to purchase it because of its longevity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
    I wish CPM orginal had better longevity ! Its a fantastic scent, no wonder it is so highly ranked even now. However, its a shame it doesn't last long. I've held back my decision to purchase it because of its longevity issues.
    Just bring a small travel atomizer in your pocket, and re-apply through the day. Works great for me ;-)