Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default The "I don't get it" thread

This is to point out certain frags that are popular and it makes no sense to you as to how they could be.

My main one is ADG

Default Re: The "I don't get it" thread

Encre noire....not my cup of tea
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

...Aventus

Basenotes Junkie

" pure _____ " fill in the blank with whatever you want.
    I know that most fragrances these days are highly if not completely synthetic. But come on Mugler, the stuff you pump out is rediculously bad. Scrubber city.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Aramis (original)
    (1385)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I really can't understand any person willingly wanting to wear Joop PH -- that will puzzle me until I die

After that, I would say about 90% of 'designer' frags. Why do people want to smell like everybody else? -- is it the 'herd' mentality?

LIDGE and New Haarlem both come to mind...

I smelled the modern Aramis and didn't care for it, haven't sniffed the older versions though.

AV, great woods..but is mostly a luau with that smoked pineapple. I loved it on my husband, then after a bit, I really did picture him in a grass skirt smoking pineapple kabobs. I don't love it nor do I hate it..but I don't get the pineapple.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

musc ravager

+ 1 : LIDGE. Not bad. Just don't quite see what makes it special.
    + 1 : Musc Ravageur.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Encre noire....not my cup of tea
    +1 It's not my cup of Earl Grey either.

Basenotes Plus

Any Mugler fragrance

Gucci pour Homme - would like to love it , however that cloying nature brings on nausea every time.
    Aventus - eternal puzzle why it gets such credit for apparent cat nip qualities. All I get is a nice sedate even bland safe scent.
    DHI - Wore it and wondered why they even tried. Much too feminine for my taste.

Lets put Encre Noire in there as well. Davidoff Silver Altitude despite the good reviews was a scrubber.

When the dust settles , the one scent from this year that I disliked greatly was .......Issey Bleue for men .
    Last edited by stanmar; 9th December 2013 at 05:57 PM.

I hate to hear the disdain for Malle's Musc Ravageur. This was on my Christmas list.

I must admit I really haven't targeted a fragrance to just avoid all the way the closest maybe Polo Blue because of it's longevity issues it just falls off a clift on me just like Dolce & Gabanna's Light Blue for Men I get an hour and a half tops.

LIDGE !! It's not even balanced to my nose ...

Git

Banned
    Blog Entries

Frank LA No.2
    Amouage- Interlude and Reflection Man

Leather Oud. Don't know what Dior was thinking about.

AdG definetly for me. It sucks.

hate to say it, Invasion Barbare

Grey Flannel and Straight to heaven and/or Taste of heaven...

Gucci Pour Pomme ll.
    Kenneth Cole Reation.

Tobacco Vanille.

for swap/sale:

Encre Noir for me as well...and Aventus, Pure Malt/Havane to a lesser degree.

Basenotes Plus

Citing ADG as an example seems rather curious - there are a high proportion of consumers who just want something fresh, inoffensive, and office friendly. ADG ticks all the aforementioned boxes therefore it's mass appeal is perfectly understandable whether you like it or not.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 9th December 2013 at 07:19 PM.

La Nuit.

AdG, YSL La Nuit, yes.
    Again, Armani Code, Mania, Black Code
    But especially the most recent Gucci releases like Guilty, Gucci By Gucci etc. I don't find anything interesting in them.

Of the more expensive ones, Aventus popularity/hype. The pineapple is not my cup of coffee...
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Basenotes Plus

Blue de Chanel. I have tried this three or four times, and it just hits me as muddled, boring, and odd.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Citing ADG as an example seems rather curious - there are a high proportion of consumers who just want something fresh, inoffensive, and office friendly. ADG ticks all the aforementioned boxes therefore it's mass appeal is perfectly understandable whether you like it or not.
    The bug spray accord baffles many of us in its mass appeal. Wearing that in the office is like having Britney Spears pumping through the sound system.

Creed Millesime 1849. I've really tried, but it just doesn't impress me.

Most likely: Sculpture by Nikos. Even more so considering both that I like gourmands AND, at the same time, I do not find this fragrance 100% vile or badly, superficially, generically and/or unprofessionally made. Yet my greatest dissatisfaction with this fragrance is: nice, but what's the point, where does it lead to?
    An almost single note sugary fragrance with no development, no surprise and not even the intensity and raw appeal of certain single note scents to make up for the lack of complexity- at least, in my opinion.

Blog Entries

*Ouch. Bad comments about Interlude Man and IB sting me to the core!

I wore Prada's Amber Pour Homme today, and was shocked at how much I disliked it. They actually went ahead and made an "intense" version of it too? THAT is a head scratcher. I DO NOT "get" that.

As for the others, I'll +1 Encre Noir and Tobacco Vanille. They're both fine (and I own both), but they don't personally move me much.
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    Wearing that in the office is like having Britney Spears pumping through the sound system.
    Nothing can be that bad

My biggest WTF by far is Aventus. I don't get it at all.
    NExt would be DHI. I absolutely love love love it in the drydown, can't stop smelling it. But it is so overpoweringly feminine I can't imagine wearing it. I wish my nose wasn't so sensitive to the iris, since only a minority of us get that feminine vibe; must smell amazing to the rest of you.

I don't think there's much to get. Some people wear Obsession, others orange trainers and track bottoms.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Nothing can be that bad
    A fate worse than death, to be sure.

Someone recommended Calypso Figue to me on another board when I asked for fragrances similar to Tom Ford Extreme (but with just a little bit of longevity) - this crap was VILE. There was a smell in there that reminded me and my fiance of clothes pulled out of storage after 100 years...I know it isn't popular here or on the other board, but that they would even bring something like that to the market amazes me.

I had alot of "I don't get it" in my first year of being seriously into fragrances - one other that stands out was Issey Bleu (scent in there that kinda smelled like dirt concetrate)...never expected that being a huge fan of the original Issey for men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpa5oh View Post
    Someone recommended Calypso Figue to me on another board when I asked for fragrances similar to Tom Ford Extreme (but with just a little bit of longevity) - this crap was VILE. There was a smell in there that reminded me and my fiance of clothes pulled out of storage after 100 years...I know it isn't popular here or on the other board, but that they would even bring something like that to the market amazes me.

I had alot of "I don't get it" in my first year of being seriously into fragrances - one other that stands out was Issey Bleu (scent in there that kinda smelled like dirt concetrate)...never expected that being a huge fan of the original Issey for men.
    I've been curious about Issey Bleueueueueue or however it's pretentiously spelled.

LIDGE, Musc Rav
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    I've been curious about Issey Bleueueueueue or however it's pretentiously spelled.
    Issey Bleue Is well worth the hype, it's and amazing green/herbal/cypress scent.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Issey Bleue Is well worth the hype, it's and amazing green/herbal/cypress scent.
    I like original Polo, Eau Des Baux, and Calvin. You think it would appeal to me?

Sorry(in advance), just my preference:

Creed-GIT
    Frapin-L'Humaniste
    Dior-Oud Ispahan
    Polo-anything
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

Creed GIT, Creed MI, and Fahrenheit are some of them.

D&G The One: gets a lot of love on here, but I can't stand it.

Montale Black Aoud: regarded as the best in the Montale line, but I feel there's quite a few better ones.

Three Canucks in a row, we call that a hat-trick!

Kouros
    Aramis

OMG, can't believe I forgot Fleur Du Male?! Yes, Fleur Du Male is #1!!!

Tobacco Vanille!

I've never understood this one. Not being contrary or anything (I swear), but it smells just like a really bad candle and yet people go nuts for it! I think my problem is combination of its power (it's five times stronger than it needs to be), its linearity (it does virtually nothing), its dryness (its sickly, yet dry -- how is that even possible??), and its general candle-ness. Maybe its just one of those things I'll never understand, but GAH!

Somebody tell me what I'm missing!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Tobacco Vanille.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Creed Millesime 1849. I've really tried, but it just doesn't impress me.
    I didn't get that one either and I'm a Creed fan. Even at their more reasonable price levels it would have been a pass for me.

Basenotes Plus

Platinum Egoiste. I think Legend by Mont Blanc and Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch are way better.

my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

DHI is the hype monster that baffles me more than any other. Feminine, cocoa powder.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I don't get it at all!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post

Three Canucks in a row, we call that a hat-trick!

Tobacco Vanille +1

Thick & sticky-sweet syrup tobacco.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I think many here are misreading the original post or are just posting in reply to the subject line without reading the post. It's supposed to be about popular fragrances that you don't get. I'm pretty sure that most people have never even heard of some of the fragrances mentioned here. I know that nobody I know has ever heard of Tobacco Vanille, for example.

One that comes to mind for me would be 1 Million, although I can't really say I don't get it because I think it smells pretty good, even if I might not want to have it, and I can understand why it's popular. I think that's the kind of thing the original poster was going for.

Come to think of it, I'm hard pressed to come up with any. The popular fragrances are popular for a reason: they smell good. Maybe some of the celebrity scents might be iffy, but I don't know a lot of them.

Brut 33 is not anything I could ever imagine wanting to smell like. I imagine if I worked in a sewage treatment facility I would expect to rock that smell.

Some fragrances I smell and just reject them with no looking back, but I've tried and tried and tried to "get" what Dior Homme is all about and I just can not stand it - and I love iris fragrances.

Now, I used to not "get" Mitsouko but it finally clicked with me after smelling many other Guerlains.

Vetiver Extraordinaire used to be my achilles heel. Now I'm fascinated by it.
    I find that given enough time, I can "get" almost any perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I hate to hear the disdain for Malle's Musc Ravageur. This was on my Christmas list.
    Don't let a few negative responses dissuade you from at least sampling it. I love the stuff.