Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: The "I don't get it" thread

I really can't stand Fahrenheit and so that's what I'd say is the most confusing for me. It smells to my nose like petrol mixed with dirty woods and the effect is not pleasing to say the least. I smelt Tobacco Vanille once and seriously disliked it but it was a long time ago so I'd be willing to try it again but for now as I recall it it's a scent that I really don't understand the hype for. Also A Men.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I think Aventus is slightly overhyped as well but I want to know where you are shopping that sells soap with a smoky scent to it. Aventus would probably be near the bottle of my list of fragrances that remind me of any type of soap haha.
    I don't get smoke. Maybe my nose translates what smoke is to others into powder for me? There are many frags others call smokey that I don't translate to smoke at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Guerlain Heritage.

Two words: Old woman
    What do you mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    DHI is the hype monster that baffles me more than any other. Feminine, cocoa powder.
    It baffles me that people think DHI is feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I really can't understand any person willingly wanting to wear Joop PH -- that will puzzle me until I die

After that, I would say about 90% of 'designer' frags. Why do people want to smell like everybody else? -- is it the 'herd' mentality?
    I disagree. The percentage of the public wearing any one cologne is pretty small. Most designer frags smell nicer than niche.

most also smell generic and similar vibe. not all...but most

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    It baffles me that people think DHI is feminine.
    I agree I don't quite get that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus;3044044....... [B
    Most designer frags smell nicer than niche[/B].
    That's a bold statement.........
    Last edited by HDD8; 14th January 2014 at 07:07 PM.

I disagree. The percentage of the public wearing any one cologne is pretty small. Most designer frags smell nicer than niche.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    That's a bold statement.........
    Not really. Most designer frags are made with mass appeal in mind, whereas niche is designed to have originality and challenging notes. It makes sense that most people will find designer frags nicer smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by str8gahbidge View Post
    most also smell generic and similar vibe. not all...but most
    What does generic smell like? Lots of niche brands also smell similar: oud and smokiness is very common in niche perfumery at the moment.

The percentage of the public wearing any one cologne is pretty small. Most designer frags smell nicer than niche.
    No and no. I would argue that the percentage of club going guys wearing 1 Million and Le Male is quite high. There may be only 10-15 different men's fragrances that are worn by 75% of men.

In the past three years I can count on my hand the number of designer fragrances that I've found appealing, the number of niche scents that I've enjoyed is much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    To me, it smells like the 80 year old woman that puts on too much perfume to cover up for the fact that she hasnt bathed in 3 days.
    Overwhelmingly powdery, feminine, and dated to me.

Just my opinion! I know a lot of Basenoters like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    To me, it smells like the 80 year old woman that puts on too much perfume to cover up for the fact that she hasnt bathed in 3 days.
    Overwhelmingly powdery, feminine, and dated to me.

Just my opinion! I know a lot of Basenoters like it a lot.
    Hmmm . God forbid you ever try l'Heure Bleue!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Hmmm . God forbid you ever try l'Heure Bleue!
    Indeed. If Heritage is powdery, I must love powder (I don't normally like powdery notes, such as the heart of Habit Rouge). Could be the vanilla creating the powder effect for you, but to me this is a brassy, classic masculine, no doubt. Just won a vintage bottle of Heritage EdT on eBay, actually.

Most designer frags smell nicer than niche.
    Bud, Coors and Miller taste better than microbrews. It's all just beer, right?

MacDonald's tastes better than a well prepared steak from a restaurant that isn't a chain (and whose mascot isn't a clown). Meat is meat, right?

...yikes.

I'm not bashing designers. I own plenty. I just think your statement is silly to the point where I'd be embarrassed if I'd said it. Then again, I wouldn't have said it since I don't believe it. I also don't believe that niche smells better. There's excellence to be found in both niche and designers. Suggesting otherwise is ridiculous.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

Not really. Most designer frags are made with mass appeal in mind, whereas niche is designed to have originality and challenging notes. It makes sense that most people will find designer frags nicer smelling.
    You make it sound like a statement of fact, whereas it's actually only your opinion.

Dependent

Talented perfumers make amazing scents, designer or niche
    Currently wearing: Santal Impérial by Creed

Ambre Sultan, so much oregano I feel like I am making a pizza.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Oh, I also add French Lover by Malle. Smells like any "sport"/fresh cologne.
    Currently wearing: Kenzo Power by Kenzo

One million!

Mona di Orio Oud was a pure fecal barnyard experience when I first put it on. I said "huh?" Why would anyone wanna smell this poopy? It did mellow out after a bit, but still.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    Mona di Orio Oud was a pure fecal barnyard experience when I first put it on. I said "huh?" Why would anyone wanna smell this poopy? It did mellow out after a bit, but still.
    I don't get fecal...it's just too floral for me.

The irony being that the average person probably wouldn't "get" the behaviour of BN'ers, spending hours on a forum about scents, amassing collections of hundreds of fragrances, spending thousands of pounds doing so and the large sums that people will spend on individual scents that they covet etc.
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by ukfalc View Post
    The irony being that the average person probably wouldn't "get" the behaviour of BN'ers, spending hours on a forum about scents, amassing collections of hundreds of fragrances, spending thousands of pounds doing so and the large sums that people will spend on individual scents that they covet etc.
    Ironic indeed. Surely we're a strange bunch to the rest of the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Oh, I also add French Lover by Malle. Smells like any "sport"/fresh cologne.
    Lol really? I don't get any sort of "fresh" vibe out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan
    I don't get fecal...it's just too floral for me.
    I don't get fecal at all either. I do get some floral, but I don't find it overbearing. I found it to be a superb fragrance, but... $525 for 100ml was a huge turn off for me.

I agree with DHI being feminine, as well as many of the YSL "Homme" flankers. Powdery, sweet florals that smell better on a woman in her 30s than on men. Especially la Nuit.

For me, it's Cool Water. No clue where so many people are getting their "vintage" examples as it's as mass market as you can get but the Pine-Sol top note is put to shame by GIT and Chez Bond.

And one final category - the fresh summery Creeds I don't understand. I love their deeper scents - Aventus, OV, Bois de Portugal, Royal Oud... but Himalaya, Silver Mountain Water, and MI I don't get. They certainly smell nice but they're rather weak, and don't compare to the rest of their line.
    Last edited by throwbookatface; 16th January 2014 at 12:52 AM.

I am wearing kouros for the first time today..so I will have to say kouros.

this stuff is potent
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Issey Miyaki. I just don't. Have tried many times. Just don't. lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Issey Miyaki. I just don't. Have tried many times. Just don't. lol
    I think it's because it's a well-done citrus summer scent. I myself prefer winter scents and for summer gravitate toward green scents, but if you want citrus, IMO, this is one of the best ones. Also lasts longer than most citrus scents. This and Allure Homme Sport are basically all i reach for when it's really hot, which is a shame.