Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: The "I don't get it" thread

Weirdly enough probably the only majorly hyped fragrance that I DO get is Tobacco Vanille. Majorly hyped frags generally don't tend to get along, like the following that I definitely don't get:
    Musc Ravageur
    Portrait of a Lady
    Aventus (and, for that matter, I just don't get Creed...not to slam it, but I have yet to find one I like)
    LIDGE
    CDG Black (and I tend to really like most CDG's)
    LDDM
    Terre d Hermes
    and others.

I don't know if Amouage Gold Man is very popular, but MAN do I not get that stuff...I just had the displeasure of smelling it recently and man is it rank. Whew it stunk, and I don't think "Stink" per say, that often.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Oh yeah! Forgot this one. I don't see the attraction of raspberry and tanning chemicals.
    LOOOOOOL

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Gotta love threads like this. They point out just how diverse (fickle?) we are in our personal likes and dislikes.

For me it has to be British Sterling. Yuk.
    Diverse! Fickleness training is definitely passé.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasman View Post
    Canoe. I just don't get it.

Tobacco Vanille. This is a personal bias against vanilla notes in fragrances. I frequently get an Eau de Exotic Dancer vibe from vanilla fragrances; combining that vibe with a tobacco note does not quash the association in the least.
    If I said you were bringing back memories of my mis-spent teenage years.... Well, there. I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Yet deadidol calls it '...dry..'

Someone's perceptions are wrong
    Olfactory receptors are real gremlins - particularly with some of these hit-or-miss musks, woody ambers, and other synthetic aromachemicals. Throw in personal interpretation, and I've just given up figuring out who's not smelling what, unless there are at least 5 people to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I was so disappointed in Nombre Noir I gave it away to a friend.
    Whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    +1 here. Smells like the dentist's office.

Also, Guerlain Derby was soooo highly recommended so I ordered a sample vial. It was like ancient battery acid mixed with Drambuie.
    LOL!

I love the stuff - although I totally agree with the ancient vibe.

Only on BN would this sort of description pique one's curiosity enough for us to actually seek out this scent.
    LMAO! So, so true.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    People who like to be negative instead of positive.
    The negatives are a bit of an acquired taste, but I've grown to love them. They do have all the best jokes around here.

Not sure I get them, either, but I don't let that get in the way. They've made me question my own nature - always a good thing.

Basenotes Member

Both versions of Chanel's Egoiste. It's just not pleasant to me.

I know I'm supposed to move on, but I dont want to give up on Aventus. I feel like a detective, lmao.

Anyway, I think I get whats so good about Aventus; its the sillage. Upclose it smells basic. But if the scent gently wafts, you're mystified and amazed.

I started my collection 8 months ago. Got a sample of Aventus from Nordstroms and it smelled so bland. I recently decided to revisit it and got an official sample online. This sample had the smoky pineapple vibe I had heard about. I now see why people like this although it is not high on my wish list. I am not sure whether my nose changed or whether the samples were different.
    It has taught me to keep an open mind and as I learn more and smell more to go back and check my opinions!
    Last edited by kswer; 11th December 2013 at 07:34 AM.

I don't get why people continue to ask others what they think when only you can determine what you like.

Portrait of a Lady, +1 I liked Briar Rose by Ineke better and it's a lot cheaper too.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I was so disappointed in Nombre Noir I gave it away to a friend.
    Very good!!

Edit: You are joking, aren't you?
    Last edited by saminlondon; 11th December 2013 at 07:02 AM.

LDDM, Black Aoud, 1861, M, DHS, Habit Rouge, 24 Gold

So many to mention so little space but I would go with Black Orchid. It has this rotten fruit accord that every time I smell it my stomach starts turning.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

I find majority of hyped fragrances to be either boring copycats or stink. Also the oud trend is ridiculous to me since all the oud fragrances I've smell are 80% similar to each others

If I have to name name then it would be Amouage Gold Man. Stinky dried saliva in a bottle, just can't get why people pay big money to smell like that

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Portrait of a Lady, +1 I liked Briar Rose by Ineke better and it's a lot cheaper too.
    As an aside, If you loved Briar Rose you may also want to try Tauer's Une Rose Vermeille if you haven't already. After blind buying Briar Rose and testing Une Rose Vermeille earlier-on I found those two quite similar smelling, but near completely different to Portrait of a Lady. My guess is the Tauer will appeal more to your tastes than PoaL did (though both Briar Rose and Une Rose Vermeille could have easily been on my own "don't get" list).
    Last edited by drseid; 11th December 2013 at 08:56 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Three unremittingly unpleasant ones to my nose: Kinski, Black Afgano, Montecristo. Musty horrors all.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I don't get why people continue to ask others what they think when only you can determine what you like.
    Interesting point, I have to say though, I have learned a lot by hearing what other people think. I mean, I have learned to appreciate things that I otherwise would not have appreciated and it has enriched my experience of the world. This is not only in fragrance but in all the arts.

What I like has in fact been influenced and shaped by what others around me have liked... and I think it is not just a question of not thinking independently, but of actually embracing what others have taught me, people who have a lot more experience and know a lot more than I do in certain fields. If I had just limited myself to "what I liked" and didn't listen to others, I would still be wearing exclusively Acqua di Gio

[Not that AdG is a bad scent, but it was the only one I wore.]

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver
    YEAH! Hampster cage and tobacco barn in a bottle((

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Having one's beliefs and opinions reinforced is always satisfying

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Three unremittingly unpleasant ones to my nose: Kinski, Black Afgano, Montecristo. Musty horrors all.
    +1 or +3 I thought I was the only one here who disliked Kinski

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    +1

I also don't get why so much love for [...] CdG 2 Man - such a synthetic mess
    Those are fighting words where I come from

Love the scent but I can see a number of reasons why someone could dislike it.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I hate to hear the disdain for Malle's Musc Ravageur. This was on my Christmas list.

I must admit I really haven't targeted a fragrance to just avoid all the way the closest maybe Polo Blue because of it's longevity issues it just falls off a clift on me just like Dolce & Gabanna's Light Blue for Men I get an hour and a half tops.
    Musc Ravageur belongs on your list. Be strong. Even when my sotd says something else, I'm thinking about MR.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Musc Ravageur belongs on your list. Be strong. Even when my sotd says something else, I'm thinking about MR.
    Very good to know I am very excited to start my experience with the Malle's this upcoming year and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I really can't understand any person willingly wanting to wear Joop PH -- that will puzzle me until I die

After that, I would say about 90% of 'designer' frags. Why do people want to smell like everybody else? -- is it the 'herd' mentality?
    Allow me to point out that by wearing niche, you're still a sheep - just one in a smaller flock.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    I know I'm supposed to move on, but I dont want to give up on Aventus. I feel like a detective, lmao.

Anyway, I think I get whats so good about Aventus; its the sillage. Upclose it smells basic. But if the scent gently wafts, you're mystified and amazed.
    The sillage varies considerably, based on the individual. I bought a bottle of it and got very little sillage and projection (about 4 hours), so I sold it. The guy I sold it too, loves it and says he gets more than 12 hours out of it.

I'm not knocking Aventus, because it is a nice scent, it's just not one that really worked for me. In addition, regardless of the hype, not once did sparks fly out of my ass from the elation of wearing it.

Antaeus. I have only scrubbed a few in horror and this was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    So many to mention so little space but I would go with Black Orchid. It has this rotten fruit accord that every time I smell it my stomach starts turning.

Good call.
    I get even less why any man would wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    As an aside, If you loved Briar Rose you may also want to try Tauer's Une Rose Vermeille if you haven't already. After blind buying Briar Rose and testing Une Rose Vermeille earlier-on I found those two quite similar smelling, but near completely different to Portrait of a Lady. My guess is the Tauer will appeal more to your tastes than PoaL did (though both Briar Rose and Une Rose Vermeille could have easily been on my own "don't get" list).
    Well, I found BR and POAL to be both berried roses with patch, I preferred BR. Nope, not a Tauer fan so far. I've tried URV, wanted to like it but didn't. Taueraide, I guess, isn't for me. Interesting about finding that one similar to the Briar. I didn't find them similar really, except for both having that berried rose note. Thanks for the rec though!.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Those are fighting words where I come from

Love the scent but I can see a number of reasons why someone could dislike it.
    I like Frank No. 2 and love CdG 2 Man. I was just joking with Rynegne

Iris Silver Mist.

A* ____ , Guess because my woman wears Angel which I do like
    GIT (its ok to me not as bad as ones below...definitely not 300 dollar bottle worthy)
    Dior Leather Oud
    Millesime Imperial, Fareheight *or any other frag that smells like gasoline/petroleum*
    Bleu de Chanel,
    Allure Homme edition blanche <--Lemon lysol in a bottle.
    tom ford grey vetiver (industrial laundry powder detergent)
    Eau de Gentaine blanch
    D&G the one
    Too many to list from the house of Bond no 9.
    Last edited by str8gahbidge; 13th January 2014 at 01:52 PM.

TV, Joop homme, A*man

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I find majority of hyped fragrances to be either boring copycats or stink. Also the oud trend is ridiculous to me since all the oud fragrances I've smell are 80% similar to each others
    Have to agree with this. Half the time the "oud" stinks and is nothing like the real thing, yet every company seems to get on the oud boat. Thing is, with too many on a boat, you run the risk of sinking!

Non-Orientals. I mean, Orientals are the best fragrances (Heritage, Egoiste, Jubilation XXV, etc.) so why do people bother with fougeres or chypres?

Oh yeah, and I don't get the love for oud. It's different but to me it's just another note.
    Last edited by insomniac; 13th January 2014 at 05:09 PM.

Joop PH... Awful stuff
    A*Men... don't get it

That geranium one by Malle.

Quote Originally Posted by steve0580 View Post
    Allow me to point out that by wearing niche, you're still a sheep - just one in a smaller flock.
    By your definition EVERYONE is a sheep. Because people either wear niche, designer, both, or none. And there are masses from all categories. lol

Baa-a-a-a-a-ah

From the masses: One Million by Paco Rabanne and Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme. Both almost make me sick.

From the initiated: Pure Distance M. While I like the smell of it, it literally disappears on me. My skin eats it up. I'm left with next to nothing.

Invasion Barbare. Very nice. Just very nice.

Basenotes Plus

I have to go with Musc Ravageur too. I was so excited when I got a bottle of this from all the rave reviews and was not impressed at all. I sold it immediately.

Green Irish Tweed. I've sampled this a number of times, and I can't get around how baldly synthetic it is. It doesn't smell "rich" and "regal" and "natural" by any means. It even has a plastic sort of vibe to me.

Aventus. Similarly synthetic, with doubtless some large-moleculed aromachemical which would explain its tenacity and its tendency to produce olfactory fatigue. That honkin' fruit note is to me the fragrance equivalent of Auto-Tuned pop music. Add in Creed's tacky classist marketing ("Smell like a successful douche bag!") and I see no appeal.

Tobacco Vanille, for all the reasons mentioned on this thread.

Blog Entries

Almost every Bond no 9 fragrance...they get an "A" for longevity and a "D-" for smell
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Oh, and forgot to throw in for the A*Men Pure ___ flankers as well. Not a fan of the original, but come on guys: Pure Malt and Pure Havane are so shamelessly, cheaply synthetic and overly sweet that I'm surprised they created any fuss at all among supposed enthusiasts.

Allure Homme Sport. I don't get it. It has a thick sort of plastic plus artificially-sweetened-candy vibe for me. Yuck.

Platinum Egoiste. "Paging Sam Malone, paging Sam Malone. Someone stole your cologne." I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    I don't get it when people don't get Musc Ravageur
    I don't get how you don't get how others don't get Musc Ravageur. Also, obviously, I don't get Musc Ravageur.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    People who like to be negative instead of positive.
    Well that comment sure is a downer
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Some others:

TF Grey Vetiver: too much laundry cleaner. Guerlain Vetiver is better.

Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet/Pen's English Fern/Trumpers Wild Fern: All kind of smell the same to me, generic fougere. May as well be in a yellow bottle with "FOUGERE" stamped on it in black stencil lettering.

Al-Rehab: I've tried two of them and they both stink of synthetics. I've tried SMW and no, Silver does not smell like SMW.

Platinum Egoiste. Allure. Antaeus. Sorry, Chanel fans. I love Egoiste and get Bleu as a nice safe scent, but the others just don't do it for me at all.
    Last edited by insomniac; 14th January 2014 at 12:20 AM.

Aventus. I've tried many different samples of it and I just don't get it. I'm not saying it's a bad scent, just that it smells like nothing more than a shower soap that I don't care for.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    Aventus. I've tried many different samples of it and I just don't get it. I'm not saying it's a bad scent, just that it smells like nothing more than a shower soap that I don't care for.
    Last edited by dougczar; 13th January 2014 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Haha, that's exactly the response I knew some might have. Oh well, I said it and I meant it. :-)

The entire Creed Royal Exclusives line. Little complexity, each has one or two notes it does moderately well but certainly not special, little projection or longevity, overall light uninspired fragrances. I'm pretty certain they took some formulas they didn't feel they could market normally, then decided to sell EdT strength in bulk and call them "royal" at a huge mark-up in cheap plastic bottles. Then, lo-and-behold, people were buying them up. So what was going to be a limited run in the large bottles, Creed has seen fit to give us the gift of 1oz bottles as well. If they were sold as just run-of-the-mill perfume, they'd be great. At 225 an ounce or 675 for 8.4 ounces, it's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Frank LA No.2
    Amouage- Interlude and Reflection Man
    Just sampled Frank 2 LA and have to agree. It reminds me of shaving cream; don't care that much for barber shop scents.

+
    Bond New Harlem
    Versace The Dreamer
    Terre d’Hermès

Tobacco Vanille. The cigar tobacco opening is fantastic but after about 30-45 minutes the whole thing falls apart and starts to resemble a cheap, drug store vanilla candle on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Tobacco Vanille. The cigar tobacco opening is fantastic but after about 30-45 minutes the whole thing falls apart and starts to resemble a cheap, drug store vanilla candle on my skin.
    Well said.

Well said.
    Thanks cwill. And FWIW, I'm with you on Aventus. I've tested this several times and find I still don't like it enough to justify buying a bottle.

Dior Homme Intense

Not a bad scent, but I don't get the love for it. Nicely blended, but rather bland and heavy on the vanilla. Then again, I'm not really a vanilla fan.

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    The entire Creed Royal Exclusives line. Little complexity, each has one or two notes it does moderately well but certainly not special, little projection or longevity, overall light uninspired fragrances. I'm pretty certain they took some formulas they didn't feel they could market normally, then decided to sell EdT strength in bulk and call them "royal" at a huge mark-up in cheap plastic bottles. Then, lo-and-behold, people were buying them up. So what was going to be a limited run in the large bottles, Creed has seen fit to give us the gift of 1oz bottles as well. If they were sold as just run-of-the-mill perfume, they'd be great. At 225 an ounce or 675 for 8.4 ounces, it's a joke.
    I couldn't agree more. I had the chance to sample a whole bunch of them. I even got a decant of Aventus and Imperial Milliseme.

Quite ordinary, and some surprisingly synthetic, especially for the price.

Hardly any sillage and short lived longevity.

Why, oh why are people paying so much money for this stuff? I just don't get it. Some super clever marketing hype, or perhaps there's some special body chemistry tuning that is going on that makes some people feel so fantastic wearing this stuff, something that you and I (as well as a few others) apparently don't have.
    Last edited by cytherian; 14th January 2014 at 06:31 AM.

Carnal Flower and Ambre Sultan. After giving multiple tries I still cannot stand these two.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I had the chance to sample a whole bunch of them. I even got a decant of Aventus and Imperial Milliseme.

Quite ordinary, and some surprisingly synthetic, especially for the price.

Hardly any sillage and short lived longevity.

Why, oh why are people paying so much money for this stuff? I just don't get it. Some super clever marketing hype, or perhaps there's some special body chemistry tuning that is going on that makes some people feel so fantastic wearing this stuff, something that you and I (as well as a few others) apparently don't have.
    I do suppose it's possible that you are missing something with these. I find the quality FAR superior to many, many fragrances out there. A lot of them smell absolutely glorious on me, and make me feel really good about wearing them. And, I pay zero attention to marketing so that's not a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill
    Shower soap doesn't sound like superior quality, but then that's just Aventus you're referring to. I did find Irish Tweed to be one of those that isn't synthetic and has very good quality, just that it doesn't last very long and doesn't smell very unique to my nose.

I couldn't agree more.
    I like you already

I find the quality FAR superior to many, many fragrances out there. A lot of them smell absolutely glorious on me, and make me feel really good about wearing them. And, I pay zero attention to marketing so that's not a factor.
    If it makes you feel like a million bucks, that is certainly worth paying for.
    Last edited by rouj; 14th January 2014 at 02:39 PM.

Shower soap doesn't sound like superior quality, but then that's just Aventus you're referring to. I did find Irish Tweed to be one of those that isn't synthetic and has very good quality, just that it doesn't last very long and doesn't smell very unique to my nose.
    Yes, I'm only referring to Aventus. I'll also say, I DO find that Aventus is blended well, and of very high quality...it's just that it's particular scent is similar to an uninteresting shower soap to ME.

Basenotes Plus

I don't get how people think that when they buy a bottle of fragrance it's supposed to change their life. It only changes the way you smell for a few hours

The bug spray accord baffles many of us in its mass appeal. Wearing that in the office is like having Britney Spears pumping through the sound system.
    Ha! Terrifying.
    www.artandolfaction.com
    www.facebook.com/artandolfaction

Basenotes Plus

Yes, I'm only referring to Aventus. I'll also say, I DO find that Aventus is blended well, and of very high quality...it's just that it's particular scent is similar to an uninteresting shower soap to ME.
    I think Aventus is slightly overhyped as well but I want to know where you are shopping that sells soap with a smoky scent to it. Aventus would probably be near the bottle of my list of fragrances that remind me of any type of soap haha.

Guerlain Heritage.

Two words: Old woman