Code of Conduct

Default Christian Dior Leather Oud Initial Review

Hello Everyone, today's initial review is on Christian Dior Leather Oud.... I got a 1 ml sample of Leather Oud today... A few good dab on my forearm...
    This one is very strong... I see where the feces comparison comes in... it does have that civet doo-doo smell, but a very smooth doo-doo smell... I
    also smell the leather, oud, honey, and musk... whatever the musk that is in Leather Oud, is is the same identical musk that is in Musc Ravageur... the
    dry down smell even more like musc ravageur without all the cloves... wow! to me Dior Leather Oud is a winner in my book... this fragrance is not
    for the beginner... it's a very nasty and strong dirty, skanky fragrance... Love at first sniff.... my initial grade for Dior Leather Oud is 10/10... a perfect fragrance....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Christian Dior Leather Oud Initial Review

It is the essence of oud wood not oud oil like in 98% of oud based perfumes.

for swap/sale:

I agree with your review about the "feces" and "doo doo". However, where that makes it a masterpiece in your book, I must give it a complete NO.

I don't want to smell like a petting zoo, and that is exactly what this stuff smells like. We all have our fetishes I suppose. This is a smell that I take showers to avoid, not pay money to smell like. But while I completely disagree with your conclusion, I think your review was excellent and summed up the odor... er "scent"... quite well.

Leather Oud is one of my top favorites. It's really a great fragrance that I have received many compliments on.

Best 155 dollars I ever spent. I hope Dior does more Oud fragrances.

It's a fantastic fragrance -- ironically the only from that whole line-up that doesn't smell like poo to me

It's an animalic musk bomb for sure, but a total classic of its type. Wear it with pride!

And OP, don't forget to post your review in the review section
    Maybe you could start some discussion questions right here?

Took me a few tries to come around on this one, but now I love it. It's a very addictive fragrance. Currently waiting for a split to fill.

I appreciate it for what it is. There's no doubt time and effort was put into this scent and it's arguably the most unique release in the last few years.

But it's just something I wouldn't wear. It seriously does smell like a petting zoo (as mentioned above) and the civet really gives off the skanky smell that I don't find pleasant, nor would anyone else around me I would imagine.

Stil enjoy smelling it from a sample when I can, it just puzzles me every time.

Just an overall wonderful scent IMO
    (1400)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Wonderful top scent and a complement getter for me. If you like this one also try Oud Ispahan. Same oud wood accord with rose. Divine. Both FBW.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan... Pure F;$&?!@"n magic.. The secret is in the application. Neither of these is a department store bottle of weak sauce. Go easy on the trigger . First time I wore leather oud, and this I swear to; my woman said" you smell like sh*t" and then what happened after that is something I won't ever forget. Don't ever underestimate anamalics . I don't work for Dior , I have no reason to make this up .
    I love oud ispahan evern more.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Basenotes Plus

I didn't like it.. I can't see a women burying her face in your chest and ask what is what? IMHO
    It just smells off to my noise..

Amazing fragrance but I see nothing to do with Musc Rav in it. Very realistic smoke drydown.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

My scent of the day. I like it, but it just gets a little too barnyardy for my tastes, which makes it hard for me to wear but I do like everything else this scent does, so I'm glad I've got a little decant.

Top quality juice. Just go easy on the trigger.

I like this one but you have to be careful if your body temperature rises as that's when the fecal aspect comes out in a unmistakeable way. Best for the cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I like this one but you have to be careful if your body temperature rises as that's when the fecal aspect comes out in a unmistakeable way. Best for the cold weather.
    +1 Awesome cold weather fragrance, could not imagine wearing it in the summer... I wore this a couple of days ago, and my shirt still smells of it 2 weeks later, it is grade-A stuff, but I have to go light on the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It is the essence of oud wood not oud oil like in 98% of oud based perfumes.
    as always , a good call.

an authentic master piece and as some say up there, a very realistic smoke in the dry down.
    Nobody sees some parallels between this and aoud gourmet micallef ? although the last one without the smoky quality of dior.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

As per OP, love at first sniff for me. IIRC: smoky, rough leather, woody. I don't understand the comparisons to skank and poo. It really does not smell like feces. Although I can see how it would be offensive to those who prefer smells that are more along the lines of something 'clean'.

I can also see how it would be a bit strong if overapplied. Then again I only ever wear a max of 2, sometimes 3 moderate sprays at absolute most. Maybe I should check out the splits.

This one is not for me at all. Tried it at the Dior Boutique about a year ago. I can't see myself ever wearing this unless I lost a bet or something.

A 10/10 frag for me. Easily in my top 5 niche. Love it. Definitely FBW for me.
    To all that said they they don't like it - try putting it on and 'living' with it for 5-10 hours...

One of the great "pull my finger" fragrances. Glad to have a large decant, wish they'd sell the stuff in smaller sizes as it's not a day to day perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    As per OP, love at first sniff for me. IIRC: smoky, rough leather, woody. I don't understand the comparisons to skank and poo. It really does not smell like feces. Although I can see how it would be offensive to those who prefer smells that are more along the lines of something 'clean'.
    The poo thing is more humorous shorthand than anything. Of course it doesn't smell like that, but it's got some major animalic / musk notes in it (I get a ton of castoreum) that are somewhat tough for people who, as you say, are into clean / safe stuff. I wore some last night after reading this thread -- it's provocative, but really quite beautiful.

People make this out so much worse than it really is. Its not my cup of tea, but there is a youtube reviewer that said he thought he stepped in shit after leaving the dior boutique. Really? Come on.

Yep, it's a very nice one, and I agree with those who feel that it gets described as a lot filthier and more forbidding than it really is. A very classy, confident, and charismatic masculine with what I'd call "a luxurious edge" and a fair bit of old world nostalgic charm.

Funny thing is that I tried Leather Oud today, and i'm not getting the doo doo scent that much today... i guess my nose is getting used to this fragrance.... it has an Anteus powerhouse kind of vibe today... weird...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I've fallen out of love with this one. It wasn't so skanky to my nose at first, but definite "barnyard". Now? It's straight funk and it doesn't really work well with me unless it's crazy cold - then it's a tad bit more crisp and works well.

Longevity, and sillage wise does Leather Oud last longer compared to Cuir de Russie ( Chanel EDP ) Knize 10, and Tuscan Leather ?

Also which of these do you guys prefer smell wise?

Quote Originally Posted by odraudeduardo View Post
    Longevity, and sillage wise does Leather Oud last longer compared to Cuir de Russie ( Chanel EDP ) Knize 10, and Tuscan Leather ?

Also which of these do you guys prefer smell wise?
    Stronger than CdR and Knize 10. On par or ever so slightly weaker than Tuscan Leather.

Prefer LO.

Of them all, CdR has the least longevity.

TL & K10 are similar.

LO the longest.

They're all very different.

for swap/sale:

Of them all, CdR has the least longevity.

TL & K10 are similar.

LO the longest.

They're all very different.

for swap/sale:

Thank you JiveHippo.

Just curious

I heard the EDT on CDR has a stronger sillage & longevity compared to the Parfum. Have you tried the edt?

Do you think Antaeus ( Chanels No 5 for men * According to some * ) competes against any of these? In terms of quality and of course smell?
    Last edited by odraudeduardo; 5th August 2014 at 05:49 AM.

Very interesting indeed hedonist.

I'm interested in LO.

I wonder if anyone on BN is selling splits of this interesting gem.