Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Not a number - in order to be interested, I need a name.

In order to be interested, to sniff or to buy, I need a name.

Not a number. See this link
    http://olfactoriastravels.com/2013/1...nch-in-zurich/
    describing the line of Terroir perfumes. It is not very tempting to choose a bottle with a number. The scarves would have been most interesting in the exhibition. In the replies most everyone mentioned the scarves. Why? Because they were visual. To find out where your perfume is located, one has to consult the map??

Maybe it is not too late to update the Marketing. Just add a name and in parentheses put the location. Then the concept is preserved and the customer does not have "to work so hard".

A label (name) should draw the prospective buyer IN, a number does not do it. (I did recently a course of statistics and the numbers Sigma this, Sigma that ... bored me to death.) Perfumes are fantasy items. They need poetic names.

Moreover, (the worst is) that not many people know that Terroir in this context means territory. Only winemakers may be familiar with that. So, at first blush, the French word Terroir is too close to the English word "Terror" = fear and that might make an unfortunate association. It's possible.
    Sorry.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Default Re: Not a number - in order to be interested, I need a name.

If only Chanel had taken that advice, they might have sold more bottles

Also, you may want to give people more credit. People who are not wine aficionados can certainly understand what "terroir" is! But I agree that some people may make the wrong association.

Thanks for the info., Ursula!

They seem to have 'subtitles' below the names on the website, although typing those out would possibly take as long as typing out the various map co-ordinates!

Quote from website:-

14S 48E
    Das Vertrauen in das Unbekannte, 50ml

44N 03E
    Mystic violet hills, 50ml

38N 16E
    Die Flucht aus der geliebten Tradition

04N 74W
    Dancing in paradise garden

46N 08E
    Swiss mountain cowboy, 50ml

No sample options that I could find.
    Last edited by lpp; 10th December 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't say that it is not an interesting concept. Except that the prospective customer has to work too hard. Mass advertising, by comparison, just throws the fragrance at you. Paired with a celebrity photo. Here, by fault of insufficient marketing, a perfectly valuable line could remain unnoticed. Word of mouth would help. For that, they ought to offer samples.

There is so much competition in today's perfume market sphere, that strategic marketing is paramount to success.

I think it's clever. I enjoy a puzzle that makes me think, research and learn. Fragrance naming is mostly poetic and evocative. But there's also the Lab approach that uses numbers pertaining to chemistry or other obscure references. It's all good!

Blog Entries

Ursula, l agree with you. This is the reason l am not interested in lines such as Biehl Parfumswhatevertheirnameis; numbers are just completely uninspiring to me.

And l thought "terroir" meant "terror", too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Moreover, (the worst is) that not many people know that Terroir in this context means territory. Only winemakers may be familiar with that. So, at first blush, the French word Terroir is too close to the English word "Terror" = fear and that might make an unfortunate association. It's possible.
    Sorry.
    An aside: I was a talk with John Steele (aromatics guys) not too long ago and kept on using that term over and over. He was describing it as both aesthetic headspace, but also referencing the wearers skin as part of the territory.

I think they've shot themselves in the foot. With names like that, there's just no way to have a conversation about them. Isn't word of mouth important to a perfume? There won't be a single mouth saying these names or anyone even typing them. Such a shame if the scents are good.

If they're good there'll be a load of copy/paste going on here!

Blog Entries

Numbers vs. Names -

They are just so uninspiring. There is the name, "La Route d'Emeraude" and fantasy begins. Of course, it is just a label stuck to a gorgeous jasmine scent, but the brain likes to dream instead of analyze. The brain works visual. Colors, places. What can you visualize with a set of humbers?

The set of MDCI Paris Perfumes were numbers before names were assigned. Now we have, "Enlevement au Serail" (look at that!), "Promesse de l'aube" (morning), "Vepres Siciliennes" (Italian Opera). Inside the bottles is just juice, it is the fantasies that make the scents appealing.

These were the codes: Le Rivage des Syrtes / PdN1
    Rose de Siwa / FK2
    Enlevement au Serail / FK3
    Promesse de l'aube / FK1

Does anyone know what these codes stand for?
    Last edited by Ursula; 10th December 2013 at 05:30 PM.

Interesting. I've actually bought two of these. The names certainly didn't hurt.

Numbers vs. Names -

They are just so uninspiring. There is the name, "La Route d'Emeraude" and fantasy begins. Of course, it is just a label stuck to a gorgeous jasmine scent, but the brain likes to dream instead of analyze. The brain works visual. Colors, places. What can you visualize with a set of humbers?

The set of MDCI Paris Perfumes were numbers before names were assigned. Now we have, "Enlevement au Serail" (look at that!), "Promesse de l'aube" (morning), "Vepres Siciliennes" (Italian Opera). Inside the bottles is just juice, it is the fantasies that make the scents appealing.

Rose de Siwa / FK2
    Promesse de l'aube / FK1

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    If they're good there'll be a load of copy/paste going on here!
    Good point, but how will they advertise? It will be interesting to see. Some options aren't available to them. Marilyn never would have said, "I go to bed in 14S 48E."

OTOH, they've already got us talking about them, haven't they?

Blog Entries

I agree with Ursula, the French word 'Terrior' is a deal-breaker. What were they thinking? Plus, the numbering thing is a crashing bore. Zzzzzz Wake me when it's over.

Rose de Siwa / FK2
    Promesse de l'aube / FK1

I don't know, but on the evidence I guess that PdN is Patricia de Nicola, and FK is Francis Kurkdjian.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Good point, but how will they advertise? It will be interesting to see. Some options aren't available to them. Marilyn never would have said, "I go to bed in 14S 48E."

If they wished to advertise, it wouldn't be difficult to make up a pretty interesting campaign based on the concept, which is unusual.

And yes - we are so it's not such a failure

A label (name) should draw the prospective buyer IN, a number does not do it. (I did recently a course of statistics and the numbers Sigma this, Sigma that ... bored me to death.) Perfumes are fantasy items. They need poetic names. ...
    That is a bit of a disservice to people who are interested in symbols, math, geography and a number of other abstractions.

Some people find the histrionics of some "poetic" perfume names to be wearying and repetitive.

In this case, I'm of the opinion that it would be nice to have the geographical location as a subtext, simply to make it easier to discuss the fragrance. But the use of coordinates as names would not put me off the fragrance in and of itself.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post

Maybe she goes to bed in Madagascar?

I love cartography and numbers. And they are all natural? I am interested! But I find the flacons too cool.
    I can imagine what fun it must be thinking out such a concept; the locations, collages, descriptions, scarfs. Which is all happening on the website. But when I look at the bottle again it appears forlorn. Kind of an aesthetical outsourcing, a detached design. Very modern but not very sensual.
    But I am curious. As soon as sample sets are available, I'll get one. And if the printing quality of the scarfs looks convincing I am tempted to get one, too.

The various perfumers are named on the website.
    http://www.richardluescherbritos.com/collection.html

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Plus, the numbering thing is a crashing bore. Zzzzzz Wake me when it's over.
    Exactly!
    (1425)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Scarf just reminds me of the classic Hermes one. Not sure if the numbers are such a bad idea (Swiss mountain cowboy..).

Blog Entries

I went to the 'store' website. Can't understand it. If they want to sell something they'd better get more specific.

Just click on a product to go to the page where there are tabs to read the description & perfumer details.
    http://richardluescherbritos.ch/collection.html

Then there is the store
    http://richardluescherbritos.ch/epag...rroir_Perfumes

...which is admittedly a little clunky at the moment!
    Last edited by lpp; 11th December 2013 at 09:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Hmmm, all in German and where are the scarves you speak of? I don't see the notes either. Very un accommodating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Still wacky. All German except titles. I don't want to work this hard to spend money on fumes. Where do you even find this obscure stuff? (I don't mean to be difficult). Just think their business model is wonky. IMO

Yes, kumquat - I hope they sort out the website a bit - it's not the easiest in the world to navigate!

Numbers. Yeah. I have no reason to mind that in principle, but in practice it makes talking about them difficult I find. Take the Histoires de Parfums. A really great range but I can never remember my Mata Hari's from my Casanova's from my Jules Vernes if I just use the dates.....AND I missed a L'Artisan that I really like in a sale once becuase I couldn't remember if Numero 8 was the one that I really liked, or was it 7, or 9?. By the time I had looked up the notes to check it was in someone elses basket and out of stock. Bummer. And as for the Biehls..........

Maybe I should try harder?

^^^ No, they should make it easier.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

I speak German and still the stories don't draw me in. The whole concept is awkward. Somebody with marketing skill should do it over, in English.

I forget what house it was (see that's how ineffective only numbering scents can be!), whichever one hired a bunch of famous perfumers and had them each create 3 or 4 scents, and named them stuff like, GS01 or whatever....Anyway, I was trying to research the line, so I'd pick one read up about it, read up about another one...and then forget which scent I was researching a minute later, because it's a pain in the ass to remember just numbers in relation to their descriptions. So it took like an hour, when it should have just taken 15 minutes, and finally I'm out there with the pen and notepad....really annoying. And it turns out the line's pretty much a bust anyway. But I agree Ursula, give me a name.

Blog Entries

Yes, I vaguely remember that, too. I even ordered some samples. They all pretty much smelled alike. Was it something about Molecules? Anyway, the whole thing reminds me of license plate numbers or similar. Sorry, just not inspiring or memorable. Plus, imagine, someone asks you what you're wearing, it's 43, 56, 67 or whatever. And there's no degree symbol on my keypad. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I forget what house it was (see that's how ineffective only numbering scents can be!), whichever one hired a bunch of famous perfumers and had them each create 3 or 4 scents, and named them stuff like, GS01 or whatever....Anyway, I was trying to research the line, so I'd pick one read up about it, read up about another one...and then forget which scent I was researching a minute later, because it's a pain in the ass to remember just numbers in relation to their descriptions. So it took like an hour, when it should have just taken 15 minutes, and finally I'm out there with the pen and notepad....really annoying. And it turns out the line's pretty much a bust anyway. But I agree Ursula, give me a name.
    I believe you're referring to Biehl Parfumenwurks, or something like that. And I agree. It's not distinct enough for the average person to be memorable and so folks will give up trying. Are there folks who enjoy numbers? Yes, but how many of them memorize numerical codes and such?

Blog Entries

Well, the only ones that still work, are: Chanel No. 5, Chanel No. 19, Chanel No. 22.

But if someone started Guerlain No. 1, Guerlain No. 2, Guerlain No. 3 - - I am bored already, so ... (you get the idea)

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    ...Are there folks who enjoy numbers? Yes, but how many of them memorize numerical codes and such?
    1. Yes. The internet would not exist without these folks, and we wouldn't be able to have this nice global discussion.
    2. Probably all of the folks in 1.
    3. Some of them like fragrance, too.

Some don't like numbers, some don't like the word Royal prepended to the names of fragrances, some don't like words in languages they don't understand. As a former co-worker of mine used to say, "It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer John's fritters". Which reminds me, some don't like animalics.

parfum houses like to be fancy, and different.

naming your frag after coordinates does little to improve wtm

Blog Entries

Has anybody else gotten their policy yet? Mine's in German, but it covers everything, as long as I remain within certain geographical coordinates. I can even keep my perfumer!

10-4 good buddy.

I'm also thrown by the use of terroir here, because I have some very specific definitions and associations through wine and tea appreciation.

For me it just falls under the category of another clunky marketing style in an attempt to be arty. While I can enjoy such things to a certain extent, it isn't to hard for them to cross the line and be a barrier obscuring the product, or the marketing becomes the product itself. If that's their intention then I can only assume they are measuring success by more than strictly commercial terms, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Blog Entries

Actually perfumes (fragrances) ARE numbers. The formula which is putting them together consists of chemical codes spelled out in chemical names accompanied by numbers. That appeals to the scientific analytical side of the brain. In order to covet a bottle of that chemical juice, it has to be clothed in something else, more ethereal, a poetic name, a show-off name, a name ... give me a name. Poetry is not written in numbers (Shakespeare, Baudelaire) but in words. Those appeal to another section of the brain.

I hope that my comparisons are understood even if they are expressed awkwardly. Facts are elucidated in numbers, dreams are put in words.

Facts are elucidated in numbers, dreams are put in words.
    To me, this perfectly expresses why a numerically based ad campaign will have difficulty appealing to most people. Yes, there are some to whom it will appeal, but not most, not even most perfume heads.

Yes, actual names to add to the attraction, besides the components in the composition ofcourse, so definitely actual names do make it more enticing(mysterious..etc)and hopefully, pertains to actual scents demeanor not a name that has nothing in common with what The juice inspires, at least to the perfumer, but then again that is subjective to every nose but I hope larger frame of collectors can come to agree to a degree with what the scent exudes....
    Last edited by magnus611; 12th December 2013 at 05:18 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I'm a word person. I wish I were better with numbers, but I forget them and mix them up too easily. So, I'm in the camp that likes word names.

Our language is letter-based, but math is a whole language (which I do not understand) that has numbers and a whole array of symbols. Wouldn't that be cool to use math formulas for names? I bet they would make sense to some people out there!

Different strokes for different folks.

Some people associate numbers with specific colors. It's called synesthesia. My daughter's friend had this. She always "saw" a color in her mind when she saw, or heard, a number. And she said the color never varied.

Other people associate numbers with objects or qualities. When a friend of mine was taking the aptitude test for the U.S. Postal Service, she learned how to memorize addresses by assigning each number to an image. For example, 2 was a swan. Then she built stories around the numbers to help her remember them.

I also remember a savant on TV who remembered every car license plate he had ever seen. He laughed out loud when he talked about them, as though amused by the memory of old friends.

Those abilities are inborn; although most of us can improve with practice, they come easily and pleasantly for some people.

Read this about synesthesia if you're interested.

http://voices.yahoo.com/synesthesia-...rs-257423.html

Blog Entries

Actually perfumes (fragrances) ARE numbers. The formula which is putting them together consists of chemical codes spelled out in chemical names accompanied by numbers. That appeals to the scientific analytical side of the brain. In order to covet a bottle of that chemical juice, it has to be clothed in something else, more ethereal, a poetic name, a show-off name, a name ... give me a name. Poetry is not written in numbers (Shakespeare, Baudelaire) but in words. Those appeal to another section of the brain.

I hope that my comparisons are understood even if they are expressed awkwardly. Facts are elucidated in numbers, dreams are put in words.
    I like that. Even numbers start out as dreams - or at least they should, really. Numbers are where the rubber meets the road in science, but it's easy to focus on them too greatly at the start, when they should really serve more as guideposts and map symbols. Take olfactory receptor types. The number that really counts isn't 350, or 400, or whatever the exact count turns out to be. The numbers that really count are ideas, in decreasing order of importance: (1) more than one!, (2) more than just a few, (3) not so large as to be random or individual, (4) reasonably explained by genetics, and (5) around the right number to explain the variability of fragrance perception. I tend to put off numbers in everything, for double reasons of laziness. First problem, calculations take time and are painstaking. Second, they wed to you an explanation too early, and digging out from that is always hard.

Interesting fact: English majors are sometimes excellent for dealing with certain technological problems, because they are used to rapidly thinking about the interplay of complex and fuzzy generalities. I thought that was kinda cute when I read about that.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    To me, this perfectly expresses why a numerically based ad campaign will have difficulty appealing to most people. Yes, there are some to whom it will appeal, but not most, not even most perfume heads.
    I would guess that there has always been a temptation in perfumery to go with the mystery of a number, but it's risky and it has already been done, multiple times. Chanel and Cereus come to mind, and no.5 has pretty much stolen the show.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Yes, actual names to add to the attraction, besides the components in the composition ofcourse, so definitely actual names do make it more enticing(mysterious..etc)and hopefully, pertains to actual scents demeanor not a name that has nothing in common with what The juice inspires, at least to the perfumer, but then again that is subjective to every nose but I hope larger frame of collectors can come to agree to a degree with what the scent exudes....
    I think that if you remove the mystery and the hinting/setup that names give, it has to be added back someplace else. If you just have a juice that smells good, with no name, it's already hurting in the romance department, IMO, and just has to work that much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I'm a word person. I wish I were better with numbers, but I forget them and mix them up too easily. So, I'm in the camp that likes word names.

Our language is letter-based, but math is a whole language (which I do not understand) that has numbers and a whole array of symbols. Wouldn't that be cool to use math formulas for names? I bet they would make sense to some people out there!

Different strokes for different folks.

Some people associate numbers with specific colors. It's called synesthesia. My daughter's friend had this. She always "saw" a color in her mind when she saw, or heard, a number. And she said the color never varied.

Other people associate numbers with objects or qualities. When a friend of mine was taking the aptitude test for the U.S. Postal Service, she learned how to memorize addresses by assigning each number to an image. For example, 2 was a swan. Then she built stories around the numbers to help her remember them.

I also remember a savant on TV who remembered every car license plate he had ever seen. He laughed out loud when he talked about them, as though amused by the memory of old friends.

Those abilities are inborn; although most of us can improve with practice, they come easily and pleasantly for some people.

Read this about synesthesia if you're interested.

http://voices.yahoo.com/synesthesia-...rs-257423.html
    Very interesting stuff!

I think it might be interesting to have a really nerdy series of fragrances, but the problem is that so many people are scared off by technical stuff - particularly when there is no explanation, and everything is kept over their heads. If you were going to have a fragrance series based on, say, the great achievements of mathematics (pi is the only bit of math that I know that has really made it big), then I think it would do well to have excellent explanations that went along with the fragrances, including stories of how the perfumers took inspiration from what they learned, and how they expressed that in fragrance. But then there is already astronomy, linked to the Greek gods, and other things in nature, which have always served. History - historical figures work nicely.

Perfumers are interesting people. They are both technical and artistic. I think that perfume is actually the perfect medium for such a thing, but it is still very risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    If you were going to have a fragrance series based on, say, the great achievements of mathematics (pi is the only bit of math that I know that has really made it big), then I think it would do well to have excellent explanations that went along with the fragrances, including stories of how the perfumers took inspiration from what they learned, and how they expressed that in fragrance.
    Yeah. I'm not a math major. Fourier Transform, anyone? How would you do a perfume based on that?
    Plus, if we were to use the written formula as the name, no one would be able to pronounce it. We'd have to name it Fourier Transform, and then it's back to being words again.

That reminds me of the time that the musician named Prince insisted upon using a symbol for his name, so everyone started calling him, the "Artist Formerly Known as Prince," which humorously defeated his purpose.

Why is it ok to be innumerate but not illiterate?

I'd just like a sniff.....

Blog Entries

I'm a total innumerate. I don't even get Purplebird's math joke. I'm a hopelessly intuitive person. Strict-right brainier. Always fly by the seat of my pants and I've always been jealous of whoever gets to name colors and lipsticks for a living. What better job could there be? These are a bunch of lazy advertising so-and-so's, if you ask me.

I think I've found the official graphic for this thread.

Nice one!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Because we have calculators as crutches.

It's not okay. Long story about myself, but still just an excuse. Short version: Bad eyesight undetected until 5th grade, couldn't see the board in math class, thought I didn't understand because I was slow to find the answer. Later, too lazy to catch up. Parents didn't think it was important FOR A GIRL to do math. Big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    A label (name) should draw the prospective buyer IN, a number does not do it. (I did recently a course of statistics and the numbers Sigma this, Sigma that ... bored me to death.) Perfumes are fantasy items. They need poetic names. ...
    That is a bit of a disservice to people who are interested in symbols, math, geography and a number of other abstractions.

Some people find the histrionics of some "poetic" perfume names to be wearying and repetitive.

In this case, I'm of the opinion that it would be nice to have the geographical location as a subtext, simply to make it easier to discuss the fragrance. But the use of coordinates as names would not put me off the fragrance in and of itself.
    I agree.

Last weekend I went to sample their fragrances and I have to say, they are rather excellent and have very good lasting power for all-natural perfumes. I intended to primarily check out what Vero Kern and Andy Tauer did for this brand but upon sniffing all the juices on paper, I spontaneously opted for 04N 74W (Columbia) and 46N 08E (Alps) to sample on skin.
    04N 74W (Columbia) is a powdery gardenia that has been fused with a subtle coffee note into a sophisticated gourmand I really enjoyed.
    46N 08E (Alps) reminded me of fir forest, earthy and resinous, and forest honey. Very well done, imho, and I will re-sample this one for sure.

What I love about this brand, is, they let you sniff the main head, heart and base note separately before you get to smell the fragrance itself. That was as much fun as it was educational - to experience natural oakmoss was a real treat! I will definitely be back and delve into the rest of their range.

... Also, you may want to give people more credit. People who are not wine aficionados can certainly understand what "terroir" is! But I agree that some people may make the wrong association.
    I second this.
    Last edited by mia von trost; 21st December 2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

It's a marketing tactic.

If it doesn't appeal then you're probably not the target customer.

Personally I don't mind moniker variety.

for swap/sale: