Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Samples still for sale on Ebay, after major dust-up a while back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Santa-Maria-...item565dc4fff7

This link is just one of a zillion examples of samples of perfume available on Ebay. And all after they made such a big stink; saying they wouldn't allow it any more. Just sayin'.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Samples still for sale on Ebay, after major dust-up a while back.

l've noticed this too, kumquat. Ebay do seem very inconsistent in their "rules".
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Wasn't there some kind of encouraging ruling in the U.S. this year?
    Stuigi posted something.

Personally, I'm glad they're for sale. I've purchased quite a few samples off eBay with good results. It allows me to try things that I cannot otherwise. And it's generally cheaper than TPC or StC.

I've been buying from ebay, but just learned the hard way to look before I leap. I paid $7.99 for 3 ml of Breath of God, when 2 ml are on sale on the Lush website for $1.95.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Wasn't there some kind of encouraging ruling in the U.S. this year?
    Stuigi posted something.
    Do tell. Does that mean we can sell samples here, too?

Basenotes Plus

No decant sales of any sort are allowed here, kumquat - here's the thread that was posted:-

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/332...t-decant-sales

Blog Entries

In view of the Supreme Court ruling, I'm not clear on why this is still not allowed at Basenotes.

Basenotes Plus

Presumably for the same reasons that it was not allowed before the ruling!

Blog Entries

Well, the legality was in question before, but not any more.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I agree with Adam-for the most part it's cheaper than the decant sites..
    I also sell there which is great..
    All they need is a trading format set up

Basenotes Plus

There are more concerns than legality, kumquat, but policy is a matter for management - auctions are not allowed here either!

Basenotes Plus

Thanks, socalwoman.

U.K. Ebay is still pulling decant/sample listings so the overall situation is presumably still unclear.

Blog Entries

At least we can recoup some of our expenses on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I've been buying from ebay, but just learned the hard way to look before I leap. I paid $7.99 for 3 ml of Breath of God, when 2 ml are on sale on the Lush website for $1.95.
    Like you found out, sometimes the better deals are found elsewhere.
    (1426)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I purchased a 10ml decant of Orange Sanguine about 3 weeks ago from ebay. It was my first purchase ever from ebay; I had no idea that there was an issue. And yes, it was probably cheaper than TPC or STC though I didn't bother to check.

Does the eBay rule refer to just home-made samples/decants, as opposed to proprietary testers (those little blue atomisers of Shalimar, for instance)?

Basenotes Plus

There appear to be more 'official' samples on sale there these days (Europe), although enforcement is possibly randomly applied, maybe following complaints?
    Last edited by lpp; 11th December 2013 at 10:03 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Random enforcement of 'rules' can appear, among other things, as favoritism, cronyism, ineffectiveness or a de facto admission that a rule was basically the wrong thing to put in place to start with.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    No decant sales of any sort are allowed here, kumquat - here's the thread that was posted:-

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/332...t-decant-sales
    Actually, decant sales ARE allowed on BN, but transactions must be arranged through PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Does the eBay rule refer to just home-made samples/decants, as opposed to proprietary testers (those little blue atomisers of Shalimar, for instance)?
    I believe they began by restricting it to commercially made samples only. Presumably, the cards would still be attached or the printing on the tube would indicate that it was commercially produced.

I remember seeing one person on Ebay who immediately had a neat trick. He miss-spelled 'decantered' and put samples in boxes. Then he bumped up the prices to alarming rates.
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th December 2013 at 02:55 PM.

Wow , I guess quality control is sleeping on this one...I guess for this season everything goes ...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Actually, decant sales ARE allowed on BN, but transactions must be arranged through PM.
    Is this true?

Blog Entries

The restriction is on selling samples or decants in the BN marketplace (that is, publicly on the forum.)

Private messages are just that. You can discuss anything you like in a private message.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Is this true?
    Yes. 30 Roses summed it up. You can't "advertise", but I have sold decants that I only had listed for swap to inquiring members.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 11th December 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Sorry - I was referring to official Marketplace transactions involving feedback, etc.

Since when weren't samples for sale on Ebay? Ive been buying samples there for over a year.

Blog Entries

You're a youngster. I don't remember exactly how long ago. Quite some time now, obviously more than a year ago now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    You're a youngster. I don't remember exactly how long ago. Quite some time now, obviously more than a year ago now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A lot more new than young....lol thanks

Blog Entries

Yes, well, new on the scene.