Code of Conduct

Default A Rania J. Sniff

RANIA J, Rania Jouaneh, is an apparently relatively new female designer who grew up in the Middle East and Africa. Someone suggested her Jasmine for the Jasmine Sniff Fest that I hope to conclude today or tomorrow. Liking her background, I ordered samples of all five of her perfumes: http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/fragrances/Rania-J/

Ambre Loup, EdP
    . This is a beautiful unisex amber. The notes are labdanum, vanilla, tonka bean, agarwood, and vetiver. Apparently there's no actual amber? Not sure. The notes are agreeable together but, I almost wish for something to mellow them a little more, to add drama, and anchor the high-flying elements. An animal note of some kind? As is, Ambre Loup reminds me of an incense fragrance.

Jasmin Kāma, EdP. Absolute jasmine, patchouli and exotic woods. Another beauty. Again I get a lot of spiciness from the woods. Something is keeping this from joining the ranks of my swoon-worthy Jasmines, though. The drydown on my skin is pleasant, but there's not as much projection as I like.

Lavande 44, EdP. So far I've managed not to fall in love with lavenders, but this one is very nice. I think the oud, vetiver and cedarwood mute the sharpness I don't usually enjoy in the floral. This is a really quite nice unisex fragrance. It smells good on my skin. Makes me think of sartorial splendor, the scent of a bespoke tailor's fitting room.

Oud Assam, EdP. This masculine fragrance swept me away on first sniff. It has the mellowness I miss in the others. All the website says is: "starts with fresh top notes of sweet and bitter orange and takes you to the earthery, warm and dark Agarwood/oud complex." It does just that. On my skin it lures and holds my nose. A very inviting fragrance, giving the impression of musky spice. To my nose it's a more civilzed version of Cuir de Arabie.

Rose Istar, EdP.
    Hoping for a non-pretty rose, I'll try this in a sec -- as soon as I get my nose to stop sniffing Oud Assam on my arm. [Coffee beans]. Okay, ready. The top note is hypnotic and my first thought is Rose Ishtar could have no other name. Website says, "the rose, sweet and light, mingles with black berries, tonka bean, sandalwood and patchouli." Finding a place to spray it...mmmm! This is my kind of rose. Personality, complexity, not just a pretty face. Now my nose is obsessively switching from here to Oud Assam and back. These two should date.

Conclusion.
    Rania J. is a lady who should keep designing perfumes. Rose Ishtar and Oud Assam tie for best of show, IMO, with Lavanda 44 taking second. Jasmin Kāma and Ambre Loup are easy to love as well, but, for me, they're not ready for the big time yet. Underlying each scent is the theme she states: "the aromas of the jasmine trees, the spice markets, souks and African bazaars." All are certainly wearable, which doesn't always seem to be the case.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 10th December 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Default Re: A Rania J. Sniff

No love for this line? Tell me why. I'm all ears.

This is in the Huddler archive, ScentFan.
    http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/378332

I'd love to try the Lavender. But I can't find a retailer that carries this line in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I'd love to try the Lavender. But I can't find a retailer that carries this line in the States.
    James1051, I'll split my sample with you, if you like. PM your address.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    This is in the Huddler archive, ScentFan.
    http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/378332
    Thanks, Ipp.

Blog Entries

I think the reason I don't try many new lines is 1: Limited availability (where did you get your samples ?)
    2: too many chemical combinations all the same (Aoud & tonka)

I was given samples of this line ages ago, and I've been slowly working my way through them. I really liked Rose Ishtar, as it reminded me a bit of SMW by Creed. I'm not sure I can pull it off, but I do like it.

I've also grown to really like Ambre Loup. Not enough to buy a bottle (I have several better ambers), but it is a very nice one indeed. I don't think I've actually worn Oud Assam, or if I did I really don't remember it.

I'll have to try them all again (I think I have a few more too) when I get back to school where my samples are, but that's a good six weeks away.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I think the reason I don't try many new lines is 1: Limited availability (where did you get your samples ?)
    2: too many chemical combinations all the same (Aoud & tonka)
    You can order her samples directly from her: http://www.raniaj.com/echantillons/e...s-rania-j.html
    Last edited by mia von trost; 13th December 2013 at 09:27 PM.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens