Code of Conduct

Default By Kilian nowadays

I really enjoy some of fragrances.
    By Kilian is a successful niche scent house, which has an attractive owner.

But nowadays, the development of this house is falling down.

The best creations Mr. Hennessey made are from L´oeuvre noire.

Some of the Oud collections are really nice. IMO, only Rose Oud is a full bottle worth.

But Asian collections and In the Garden of Good and Evil are huge disappoints.

Honestly, I don´t like the current marketing concept of By Kilian.

The marketing concept of L´oeuvre noire war incredible.

No humans on pictures, but just dark and mysterious atmospheres on pictures, which made me try them as soon as possible.

The marketing concept was luxurious, too.

But nowadays, I don´t see why Mr. Hennessey himself should be prominent in his marketing concept.

The best example is when he is sitting on a chair encased by a snake on his picture.

Whenever I see this picture, I have the feeling that Mr. Hennessey targets customers with himself and not with his perfumes.

I wished he could make delicious perfumes like StH and BtB.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: By Kilian nowadays

Some of the best presentation around. A terrible pity that not many of his gorgeous bottles are worth owning. I have StH, I want B2B, and then I may be done with Kilian.

To me the florals are almost lifeless, boring and too expensive, completely overrated.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

It would be a tremendous disappointment (to say the least) if he never went back to the haute parfumerie style of L'Oeuvre Noire series.

I'm sitting out his Asian Tales/Garden of Good and Evil collections (haven't even bothered smelling them) because I understand they're for a different group of fragrance consumers, so I'm withholding judgment at the moment too. But I like L'Oeuvre Noire and the Ouds so I'm not giving up hope yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also pretty disappointed by what is happening to the by Kilian house at the moment. Like you said, the L'Oeuvre Noire collection is stunning, featuring multi faceted and unique fragrances. Even the simpler ones, like 'Love and Tears' and 'Prelude to Love', have an amazing quality.

The Arabian Nights collection was also fabulous: Rich, oriental and warm fragrances, only one of them was not to my liking (Incense Oud). The Asian Tales collection is a big 'meh'. Boring compositions, but you can tell they are made with quality ingredients.

But the "In the Garden of Good and Evil" collection... is a disaster! Not only did the marketing strategie change from sophisticated and luxurious to sex sells (yawn!), but the fragrances themselves are uninspired and smell utterly cheap to me. I beg that Kilian gets back on the right track again. Sigh...

I actually have liked all the Killians I've tried over time especially the Arabian Nights Collection.
    (1439)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Oud's suck..
    B2B is the best I have smelled from the line and that's not saying a lot

Post Thanks / Like

I own and love Back to Black. The high cost and overdone packaging of the house has deterred me from any further exploration of other scent lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think Back To Black and Straight To Heaven are the obvious choices, but quality time spent with Cruel Intentions and other early scents will pay off.

But I completely agree that they pretty much suck now. At the SF Saks 5th Ave, they sit next to the Bond No 9 counter and they used to feel like opposites, Bond with mass appeal and fake exclusivity and Kilian with difficult niche weirdness carried out with expensive ingredients. Now I think he just wants to be Bond.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke View Post
    I am also pretty disappointed by what is happening to the by Kilian house at the moment. Like you said, the L'Oeuvre Noire collection is stunning, featuring multi faceted and unique fragrances. Even the simpler ones, like 'Love and Tears' and 'Prelude to Love', have an amazing quality.

The Arabian Nights collection was also fabulous: Rich, oriental and warm fragrances, only one of them was not to my liking (Incense Oud). The Asian Tales collection is a big 'meh'. Boring compositions, but you can tell they are made with quality ingredients.

But the "In the Garden of Good and Evil" collection... is a disaster! Not only did the marketing strategie change from sophisticated and luxurious to sex sells (yawn!), but the fragrances themselves are uninspired and smell utterly cheap to me. I beg that Kilian gets back on the right track again. Sigh...
    I agree.
    Word for word.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke View Post
    The Arabian Nights collection was also fabulous: Rich, oriental and warm fragrances,
    Agree to this - i bought almost the entire line, in refill bottles.

I tried a few of their perfumes but didn't buy a full bottom of any of those I tried.

I loved Back to Black the most on paper. But once I sprayed it on me, the tobacco note was too strong that it made me nauseous. I tried Tom Ford Tabacco Vanille and Serge Lutens Chergui before. Neither has a Tabacco note as strong as Back to Black.

I tried Beyond Love because I like tuberose and had just bought Carnal Flower. I didn't smell much tuberose in Beyond Love. Not sure it is due to body chemistry, Beyond Love reminded me of something stale.

I also tried Love and Tears. After the top notes died down, it reminds me of Creed Spring Flower.

My favorite from their line now is Liaisons Dangereuses. But I need to try it a few more times to be sure.

I tried their Asian line too. Bamboo Harmony and Water Calligraphy are actually pretty nice, in my opinion. But I can see why a lot of people don't like them. They are safe, inoffensive, forgettable fragrances that you can easily find in designer houses that cost a lot less.

Post Thanks / Like

The oud's left me underwelmed and the prive tag is just absolutely ridiculous.

I own B2B and Liaisons Dangereuses. Others from L'Oeuvre Noir will follow...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower77 View Post
    I tried a few of their perfumes but didn't buy a full bottom of any of those I tried.

I loved Back to Black the most on paper. But once I sprayed it on me, the tobacco note was too strong that it made me nauseous. I tried Tom Ford Tabacco Vanille and Serge Lutens Chergui before. Neither has a Tabacco note as strong as Back to Black.

I tried Beyond Love because I like tuberose and had just bought Carnal Flower. I didn't smell much tuberose in Beyond Love. Not sure it is due to body chemistry, Beyond Love reminded me of something stale.

I also tried Love and Tears. After the top notes died down, it reminds me of Creed Spring Flower.

My favorite from their line now is Liaisons Dangereuses. But I need to try it a few more times to be sure.

I tried their Asian line too. Bamboo Harmony and Water Calligraphy are actually pretty nice, in my opinion. But I can see why a lot of people don't like them. They are safe, inoffensive, forgettable fragrances that you can easily find in designer houses that cost a lot less.
    If you like LD you should try Montale Dark Purple as it is similar IMO (and not that expensive).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower77 View Post

Have you tried Fracas?
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I only ever cared for the arabian night series