Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: In Search of most divine Incense

The Valide Sultan glares at Yasmin. “And you, ungrateful one. You were a prisoner and he freed you, put you on a throne. How dare you refuse your husband, your sultan, and my son? What is the reason for this?”

Yasmin sees this question mirrored in Walad’s gaze. She has come to love him dearly, but each time he touches her, the scenes of his destruction of her kingdom and her palace fill her mind. Her parents died in the process. He didn’t kill them, his soldiers did. But how can she keep faith with her parents and pass their genes on via the one who caused their deaths?

For love of them she has avoided consummation of this marriage. On the day she gives into him, as her body wants to do, she will join them in death. She carries the poison with her in a ring at all times. Only its presence allows her to treasure the days with Walad.

Seeing Yasmin’s distress, but not knowing the cause, Walad says to his mother, “Give me a moment with my wife.” The Valide Sultan nods.

Hoping to soothe her, Walad hands the remaining vials to his once captive princess, Yasmin. In her presence the sun rises. In her absence all is dark. Had he known of Yasmin before the fateful attack, he would have spared her kingdom and sought her hand.

Caron Parfum Sacre. “How perfectly named is the perfume,” Yasmin says. “Softly it speaks of the sacred night, the holy dawn. It is a myrrh concerto, in a symphony of spice, florals, resins, musks and fragrant woods. It barely qualifies for the incense genre and belongs more properly with great floral orientals.” I agree, but unfortunately this has almost zero volume on me, so it doesn’t go in the finals.
    Top: Clove, Cardamom, Coriander, Pepper, Cinnamon, Lemon
    Heart: Jasmine, Mimosa, Orange blossom, Rosewood, Rose
    Base: Amber, Musk, Myrrh, Vanilla, Cedar, Civet

Tauer Incense Rose. “I’ve been waiting for this one,” Yasmin says and sniffs. “Oh, a blast of citrus, followed by incense. Intermingled is the rose. No problem with volume here. Musks lend sophistication. I do think I like it.” Me, too, but the total effect is more spicy than I like to wear.
    Top: Bergamot, Mandarin, Rose leaf
    Heart: Castoreum, Orris root, Frankincense
    Base: Ambergris, Labdanum, Myrrh, Patchouli, Vetiver, Cedarwood

Tiziana Terenzi Ecstasy. Yasmin closes her eyes in appreciation then slathers this on her arm, loving the oud she thinks she smells, the incense and the woods. To me, this perfume melds the earthiness of a Slumberhouse and the floral beauty of a Caron. I can’t stop sniffing it. It goes in the finals. The notes are: Pine, spruce, stone powder, Incense, Patchouli, Rose, Violet, Sandalwood, Amber, Cistrose, Tonka Bean, Forest Land, Ancient Wood

Tom Ford Amber Absolute. No idea how this fellow got here. Sniffing to see. Oh, frankincense is definitely a top note. It’s a creamy amber-incense-woody thing. Not sure I’d wear it, but it’s a beauty. The Valide Sultan, losing patience, bellows for Walad to bring Yasmin forward. Yasmin takes the vial, smells it, and anoints Walad’s brow.
    Top: Frankincense
    Heart: Amber, Woody notes
    Base: Labdanum, Vanilla

The firelight plays on their faces, the moon bathes them in light, as Yasmin and Walad hold hands before his mother. She is on her throne, surrounded by her ladies, who hold precious cloths, jars of creams and lotions, and jewels dangling from their arms. “My son,” she says. “Do your duty to your kingdom and demand your marital rights!” Anxious for Walad to secure his rule with an heir, his friend the Imam Rahib speaks. “A woman may request intimacy, but a man by law may demand it, Sultan Walad.” Realizing the precariousness of his marriage, Walad whispers to Yasmin. “I must make you mine.” She nods. The Valide Sultan’s ladies take Yasmin to bathe and dress her for the event. When she returns, a bed has been newly laid in the great tent and on it is a sheet of white silk. Walad’s mother’s throne is positioned before the tent, pillows for her feet and head. “I will spend the night here. Do not come out until the sheet is no longer white.” Blushing furiously, Yasmin allows Walad to lead her in and close the tent’s flap.

Ah, the joy in Walad as he claims his bride. Ah, the sorrow in Yasmin, knowing their first night as man and wife is their last. Yet to her it is enough to be so treasured even once. They do not sleep but in the long night become as one. At last when Walad dozes, Yasmin kisses his hand, opens the ring, swallows its contents, and lay down in his arms.

Moved at last, hard-hearted Aphrodite hovers over the encampment seeing this young beauty dying, another, her maid, crying from being undone. “Mortals!” she says to Poseidon and rolls her eyes. “They are far too emotional! I’m getting bored with all this.” She waves her lovely hands and descends with Poseidon into the sea.

The sun rises. The Valide Sultan wakes. Walad opens the tent to display evidence of his sweet conquest. Yasmin does not stir. “She sleeps,” he says. There is a shout from the shore. A boat approaches carrying an older man and woman. They disembark and say they have only now heard of their daughter’s marriage. “What daughter? the Valide Sultan demands. “Yasmin,” they reply. “Impossible,” Walad says. “They are dead, though I wish otherwise.” They say they escaped and ask to see Yasmin. Within the tent, she stirs. She rises. Hearing their voices, she cries out in joy and runs into her parents’ arms.

Diba wakes and shakes off a bad dream in which her brother tried to kill her and she’d been married to Walad. Eagerly she runs to attend her happy mistress. She knows Fizur’s loving eyes follow her. For the first time she returns his gaze.

Next to come is the celebratory sniff-off when Yasmin picks her favorite incense scent.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 3rd March 2014 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    The Valide Sultan glares at Yasmin. “And you, ungrateful one. You were a prisoner and he freed you, put you on a throne. How dare you refuse your husband, your sultan, and my son? What is the reason for this?”

Yasmin sees this question mirrored in Walad’s gaze. She has come to love him dearly, but each time he touches her, the scenes of his destruction of her kingdom and her palace fill her mind. Her parents died in the process. He didn’t kill them, his soldiers did. But how can she keep faith with her parents and pass their genes on via the one who caused their deaths?

For love of them she has avoided consummation of this marriage. On the day she gives into him, as her body wants to do, she will join them in death. She carries the poison with her in a ring at all times. Only its presence allows her to treasure the days with Walad.

Seeing Yasmin’s distress, but not knowing the cause, Walad says to his mother, “Give me a moment with my wife.” The Valide Sultan nods.

Hoping to soothe her, Walad hands the remaining vials to his once captive princess, Yasmin. In her presence the sun rises. In her absence all is dark. Had he known of Yasmin before the fateful attack, he would have spared her kingdom and sought her hand.

Caron Parfum Sacre. “How perfectly named is the perfume,” Yasmin says. “Softly it speaks of the sacred night, the holy dawn. It is a myrrh concerto, in a symphony of spice, florals, resins, musks and fragrant woods. It barely qualifies for the incense genre and belongs more properly with great floral orientals.” I agree, but unfortunately this has almost zero volume on me, so it doesn’t go in the finals.
    Top: Clove, Cardamom, Coriander, Pepper, Cinnamon, Lemon
    Heart: Jasmine, Mimosa, Orange blossom, Rosewood, Rose
    Base: Amber, Musk, Myrrh, Vanilla, Cedar, Civet

Tauer Incense Rose. “I’ve been waiting for this one,” Yasmin says and sniffs. “Oh, a blast of citrus, followed by incense. Intermingled is the rose. No problem with volume here. Musks lend sophistication. I do think I like it.” Me, too, but the total effect is more spicy than I like to wear.
    Top: Bergamot, Mandarin, Rose leaf
    Heart: Castoreum, Orris root, Frankincense
    Base: Ambergris, Labdanum, Myrrh, Patchouli, Vetiver, Cedarwood

Tiziana Terenzi Ecstasy. Yasmin closes her eyes in appreciation then slathers this on her arm, loving the oud she thinks she smells, the incense and the woods. To me, this perfume melds the earthiness of a Slumberhouse and the floral beauty of a Caron. I can’t stop sniffing it. It goes in the finals. The notes are: Pine, spruce, stone powder, Incense, Patchouli, Rose, Violet, Sandalwood, Amber, Cistrose, Tonka Bean, Forest Land, Ancient Wood

Tom Ford Amber Absolute. No idea how this fellow got here. Sniffing to see. Oh, frankincense is definitely a top note. It’s a creamy amber-incense-woody thing. Not sure I’d wear it, but it’s a beauty. The Valide Sultan, losing patience, bellows for Walad to bring Yasmin forward. Yasmin takes the vial, smells it, and anoints Walad’s brow.
    Top: Frankincense
    Heart: Amber, Woody notes
    Base: Labdanum, Vanilla

The firelight plays on their faces, the moon bathes them in light, as Yasmin and Walad hold hands before his mother. She is on her throne, surrounded by her ladies, who hold precious cloths, jars of creams and lotions, and jewels dangling from their arms. “My son,” she says. “Do your duty to your kingdom and demand your marital rights!” Anxious for Walad to secure his rule with an heir, his friend the Imam Rahib speaks. “A woman may request intimacy, but a man by law may demand it, Sultan Walad.” Realizing the precariousness of his marriage, Walad whispers to Yasmin. “I must make you mine.” She nods. The Valide Sultan’s ladies take Yasmin to bathe and dress her for the event. When she returns, a bed has been newly laid in the great tent and on it is a sheet of white silk. Walad’s mother’s throne is positioned before the tent, pillows for her feet and head. “I will spend the night here. Do not come out until the sheet is no longer white.” Blushing furiously, Yasmin allows Walad to lead her in and close the tent’s flap.

Ah, the joy in Walad as he claims his bride. Ah, the sorrow in Yasmin, knowing their first night as man and wife is their last. Yet to her it is enough to be so treasured even once. They do not sleep but in the long night become as one. At last when Walad dozes, Yasmin kisses his hand, opens the ring, swallows its contents, and lay down in his arms.

Moved at last, heard-hearted Aphrodite hovers over the encampment seeing this young beauty dying, another, her maid, crying from being undone. “Mortals!” she says to Poseidon and rolls her eyes. “They are far too emotional! I’m getting bored with all this.” She waves her lovely hands and descends with Poseidon into the sea.

The sun rises. The Valide Sultan wakes. Walad opens the tent to display evidence of his sweet conquest. Yasmin does not stir. “She sleeps,” he says. There is a shout from the shore. A boat approaches carrying an older man a woman. They disembark and say they have only now heard of their daughter’s marriage. “What daughter? the Valide Sultan demands. “Yasmin,” they reply. “Impossible,” Walad says. “They are dead, though I wish otherwise.” They say they escaped and ask to see Yasmin. Within the tent, she stirs. She rises. Hearing their voices, she cries out in joy and runs into her parents’ arms.

Diba wakes and shakes off a bad dream in which her brother tried to kill her and she’d been married to Walad. Joyfully she runs to attend her happy mistress. She knows Fizur’s loving eyes follow her. For the first time she returns his gaze.

Next to come is the celebratory sniff-off when Yasmin picks her favorite incense scent.
    Great ScentFan, as always.

Thanks Darvant.

The camp is almost packed. Now Yasmin must make a final decision about which incense perfumes she's taking home with her, all of them excellent. In a first pass she resniffs quickly, seeking the fragrances she'll not just admire, but wear:

Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant
    by Killian Encens Oud
    Comme des Carcons Kyoto
    Costume National Scent Intense
    House of Matriarch Blackbird
    Jovoy Liturgie des Heures
    L'Artisan Dzongkha
    L'Artisan Timbuktu
    Montale Full Incense
    Panthere de Cartier
    Profumum Ambra Aure
    Slumberhouse Vikt
    Tauer L'Air du Desert Morocain
    Tiziana Terenzi Ecstacy

These she gives to Walad so she can smell them on him:

Amouage Interlude Man
    Armani/Prive Bois d'Encens
    Commes des Gardons 2 Man
    Commes des Gardons Avignon
    Noami Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    Norma Kamali Incense
    Robert Piguet Casbah
    Slumberhouse Norne
    Sonoma Scent Studio Incense Pure
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Next she’ll narrow down her personal choices.

Such a great list ScentFan, I think I could live with just these in my collection to be honest. I currently have CdG 2 Man, Amber Absolute, NK Incense, Vikt, Incense Pure, Avignon, Timbuktu and HoM Blackbird (soon - should be here tomorrow...) After seeing this thread and just your minimized list...I have a lot yet to try as you got me drooling!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Dior Vetiver / SSS Incense Pure / Mancera Kumkat Wood / Slumberhouse & More...

oops, mispost
    Last edited by ScentFan; 2nd March 2014 at 11:29 PM.

In a long courtyard back at the palace, the sultan's household gathers to witness Yasmin's selection of her favorite incense perfume. She sits with Walad at one end of a long pool, the palace's surrounding spires and minarets reflected in the waters. Musicians play, but no water pipes smoke, no fragrant resins burn so as not to interfere with the main event. Yamin wears the veil hung with diamonds that Walad gave her. Impressed by her Zoroastrian beliefs, he has defied the tide of history and accorded her equal status with himself. Diba, beautifully clad, brings the tray of sparkling bottles to her mistress. All hold their breath. These are the final sniffs.

"In honor of my forbear, Cyrus the Great," Yasmin says and slowly sniffs the magnificent bottles. "First I disqualify two entrants, as not properly belonging in this genre. Panthere de Cartier is a glorious floral oriental and and, though equally wonderful Vikt has styrax, it can’t really be called an incense perfume. The final contenders are these:"

She sniffs once more. “I cannot choose between them, so it is a tie. Walad’s court celebrates. The End.

On another note, to discover the difference between Somali and Omani incense, I ordered in distillations of both. Omani frankincense is the more straightforward, expected variety, a crisper, dryer, ascetic scent with an almost antiseptic feel. Somali frankincense is smoother, luxurious and slightly sweeter, doesn’t really need anything else to smell lovely, in fact. Omani frankincense begs for ambers and musks and myrrhs. Somali frankIncense doesn’t need them. This must be why it’s showing up in so many new incense perfumes. It’s so beautiful, It’s hard to mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Such a great list ScentFan, I think I could live with just these in my collection to be honest. I currently have CdG 2 Man, Amber Absolute, NK Incense, Vikt, Incense Pure, Avignon, Timbuktu and HoM Blackbird (soon - should be here tomorrow...) After seeing this thread and just your minimized list...I have a lot yet to try as you got me drooling!
    -

Glad you like it, rynegne. I’m sure purchasing some of them.

This thread is a ridiculously fun read. I enjoyed it very much, and I especially appreciated the thoughtfulness of going back to the original post and linking to the comment for each scent. Well done!!!

Interlude Man is by far my favorite. It's the sort of scent that, no matter how often I wear it or even just smell it, it always blows me away. It's so captivating and compelling.

I'm going to go back through these pages and take some notes so I'll remember to sample a few others.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 3rd March 2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Love this thread!!!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Did you sample the wrong Gucci?

Gucci Pour Homme and Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme are two entirely different scents.

Gucci Pour Homme (often referred to as GPH 2003 or GPH I) is outstanding. It's a rich incense with wood wood wood.

And this is Gucci By Gucci pour homme:

Gucci By Gucci isn't an incense scent. They really do a terrible job of naming scents. One of them is Gucci Pour Homme, and the other is Gucci By Gucci, but since they added "pour homme" to it, it ends up being Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme, and it gets confused with Gucci Pour Homme...
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 3rd March 2014 at 12:46 AM.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Did you sample the wrong Gucci?

Gucci Pour Homme and Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme are two entirely different scents.

Gucci Pour Homme (often referred to as GPH 2003 or GPH I) is outstanding. It's a rich incense with wood wood wood.
    Thanks for catching it. I did sample Gucci by Gucci. Will put Gucci Pour Homme in my next sample requests. Glad you liked Yasmin and company.

I am very late to this party and all my very favorite Incense perfumes have been mentioned, however, I noticed some missing if this were my list. Two that are worth smelling are Parfum d'Empire's Wazamba and Dior Mitzah, although I think that one is discontinued. Bond No. 9 Silver Factory is also nice. I also liked Nobile 1942 Ponte Vechio Men, Iunx Eau Sento, Etro Messe de Minuit and one of my very favorites Acqua Santa by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo.

You have a very impressive list. I just came out to tell you how impressed I am with this thread.
    Evenstar

My favorite incense is perhaps CdG Hinoki, but I have longevity/sillage issues.
    I also love Passage d'Enfer, but same issues, even worse.
    Full Incense is nice.
    Olibanum is perfection, but you have to wait for the dry down.

Thanks Darvant.

The camp is almost packed. Now Yasmin must make a final decision about which incense perfumes she's taking home with her, all of them excellent. In a first pass she resniffs quickly, seeking the fragrances she'll not just admire, but wear:

Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant
    by Killian Encens Oud
    Comme des Carcons Kyoto
    Costume National Scent Intense
    L'Artisan Dzongkha
    L'Artisan Timbuktu
    Montale Full Incense
    Panthere de Cartier
    Profumum Ambra Aure
    Slumberhouse Vikt
    Tauer L'Air du Desert Morocain
    Tiziana Terenzi Ecstacy

These she gives to Walad so she can smell them on him:

Amouage Interlude Man
    Armani/Prive Bois d'Encens
    Commes des Gardons 2 Man
    Commes des Gardons Avignon
    Noami Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    Norma Kamali Incense
    Robert Piguet Casbah
    Slumberhouse Norne
    Sonoma Scent Studio Incense Pure
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Next she’ll narrow down her personal choices.
    Nice shortlist, I will be keeping a close eye to see which wins this contest and runners-up.

See post #186, klimax.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    See post #186, klimax.
    oh nice.

ScentFan describes *House of Matriarch Blackbird as 'magical' and *Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures as 'hypnotic'. I'm interested in Blackbird but damn is it expensive...$300 thats almost 200 pounds. Jovoy one has myrrh, Myrrh was ingredient added to CoStume National Scent Intense, with their so-called *CoStume National Scent Intense Special Edition which turned out to be a disaster.

Thanks for catching it. I did sample Gucci by Gucci. Will put Gucci Pour Homme in my next sample requests. Glad you liked Yasmin and company.
    I had Gucci Pour Homme II, lovely bottle but its one I gave away lol. I wish someone made a a thread like this for fruits. Back 2 Black by Kilian is the King of the hill.
    Last edited by klimax; 15th March 2014 at 02:40 PM.

I don't know whether somebody quoted it before but another great take on the frankincense theme is represented for sure by Craft Andrea Maack.

Quote Originally Posted by klimax View Post
    oh nice.

ScentFan describes *House of Matriarch Blackbird as 'magical' and *Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures as 'hypnotic'. I'm interested in Blackbird but damn is it expensive...$300 thats almost 200 pounds. Jovoy one has myrrh, Myrrh was ingredient added to CoStume National Scent Intense, with their so-called *CoStume National Scent Intense Special Edition which turned out to be a disaster.

I had Gucci Pour Homme II, lovely bottle but its one I gave away lol. I wish someone made a a thread like this for fruits. Back 2 Black by Kilian is the King of the hill.

There are some more reviews of the Jovoy 'Liturgie' here, klimax - it's on my 'to do' list somewhere!

There are some more reviews of the Jovoy 'Liturgie' here, klimax - it's on my 'to do' list somewhere!
    From the little I read about it, it's not something that will be good for clubwear. They don't do sample sizes, so don't have a reason to try before I buy.

True, klimax - my interest in it is mostly to compare with others as I was impressed by Psychedelique from Jovoy.
    Some of the online distributors do sell samples, which is the way I would go.

Blog Entries

From the little I read about it, it's not something that will be good for clubwear. They don't do sample sizes, so don't have a reason to try before I buy.
    You can get samples from Luckyscent.com.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Or Bloom or Roullier in London.

Only two I know and love...

L'Eau d'Issey PH Intense
    Mauboussin M Generation

M Generation is amazing, has this deep rich smoky Cedar scent. Reminds me exactly of Mon Nom est Rouge. Divine is this!

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    You can get samples from Luckyscent.com.
    Or Bloom or Roullier in London.
    Thanks just got 2ml sample from Bloom for Jovoy Litugie

Basenotes Junkie

my favorites are already listed (incense oud, LDDM, Incense rose). Another to try is Diptyque 34 Blvd St Germain. After a half hour or so the incense comes out and it is really nice.

rick

Thanks just got 2ml sample from Bloom for Jovoy Litugie
    Don't like it. Definately not suitable for clubwear as I had predicted lol.

Aw, sorry about that, klimax