Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Default Re: In Search of most divine Incense

Thanks Darvant.

The camp is almost packed. Now Yasmin must make a final decision about which incense perfumes she's taking home with her, all of them excellent. In a first pass she resniffs quickly, seeking the fragrances she'll not just admire, but wear:

Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant
    by Killian Encens Oud
    Comme des Carcons Kyoto
    Costume National Scent Intense
    House of Matriarch Blackbird
    Jovoy Liturgie des Heures
    L'Artisan Dzongkha
    L'Artisan Timbuktu
    Montale Full Incense
    Panthere de Cartier
    Profumum Ambra Aure
    Slumberhouse Vikt
    Tauer L'Air du Desert Morocain
    Tiziana Terenzi Ecstacy

These she gives to Walad so she can smell them on him:

Amouage Interlude Man
    Armani/Prive Bois d'Encens
    Commes des Gardons 2 Man
    Commes des Gardons Avignon
    Noami Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    Norma Kamali Incense
    Robert Piguet Casbah
    Slumberhouse Norne
    Sonoma Scent Studio Incense Pure
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Next she’ll narrow down her personal choices.

Such a great list ScentFan, I think I could live with just these in my collection to be honest. I currently have CdG 2 Man, Amber Absolute, NK Incense, Vikt, Incense Pure, Avignon, Timbuktu and HoM Blackbird (soon - should be here tomorrow...) After seeing this thread and just your minimized list...I have a lot yet to try as you got me drooling!

oops, mispost
    Last edited by ScentFan; 3rd March 2014 at 12:29 AM.

In a long courtyard back at the palace, the sultan's household gathers to witness Yasmin's selection of her favorite incense perfume. She sits with Walad at one end of a long pool, the palace's surrounding spires and minarets reflected in the waters. Musicians play, but no water pipes smoke, no fragrant resins burn so as not to interfere with the main event. Yamin wears the veil hung with diamonds that Walad gave her. Impressed by her Zoroastrian beliefs, he has defied the tide of history and accorded her equal status with himself. Diba, beautifully clad, brings the tray of sparkling bottles to her mistress. All hold their breath. These are the final sniffs.

"In honor of my forbear, Cyrus the Great," Yasmin says and slowly sniffs the magnificent bottles. "First I disqualify two entrants, as not properly belonging in this genre. Panthere de Cartier is a glorious floral oriental and and, though equally wonderful Vikt has styrax, it canít really be called an incense perfume. The final contenders are these:"

House of Matriarch Blackbird
    Jovoy Liturgie des Heures

She sniffs once more. ďI cannot choose between them, so it is a tie. Waladís court celebrates. The End.

On another note, to discover the difference between Somali and Omani incense, I ordered in distillations of both. Omani frankincense is the more straightforward, expected variety, a crisper, dryer, ascetic scent with an almost antiseptic feel. Somali frankincense is smoother, luxurious and slightly sweeter, doesnít really need anything else to smell lovely, in fact. Omani frankincense begs for ambers and musks and myrrhs. Somali frankIncense doesnít need them. This must be why itís showing up in so many new incense perfumes. Itís so beautiful, Itís hard to mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Such a great list ScentFan, I think I could live with just these in my collection to be honest. I currently have CdG 2 Man, Amber Absolute, NK Incense, Vikt, Incense Pure, Avignon, Timbuktu and HoM Blackbird (soon - should be here tomorrow...) After seeing this thread and just your minimized list...I have a lot yet to try as you got me drooling!
    -

Glad you like it, rynegne. Iím sure purchasing some of them.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

This thread is a ridiculously fun read. I enjoyed it very much, and I especially appreciated the thoughtfulness of going back to the original post and linking to the comment for each scent. Well done!!!

Interlude Man is by far my favorite. It's the sort of scent that, no matter how often I wear it or even just smell it, it always blows me away. It's so captivating and compelling.

I'm going to go back through these pages and take some notes so I'll remember to sample a few others.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 3rd March 2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Love this thread!!!
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Fahrenheit
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Reflection Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Bergamote Soleil
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Did you sample the wrong Gucci?

Gucci Pour Homme and Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme are two entirely different scents.

Gucci Pour Homme (often referred to as GPH 2003 or GPH I) is outstanding. It's a rich incense with wood wood wood.

And this is Gucci By Gucci pour homme:

Gucci By Gucci isn't an incense scent. They really do a terrible job of naming scents. One of them is Gucci Pour Homme, and the other is Gucci By Gucci, but since they added "pour homme" to it, it ends up being Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme, and it gets confused with Gucci Pour Homme...
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 3rd March 2014 at 01:46 AM.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Fahrenheit
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Reflection Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Bergamote Soleil
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Did you sample the wrong Gucci?

Gucci Pour Homme and Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme are two entirely different scents.

Gucci Pour Homme (often referred to as GPH 2003 or GPH I) is outstanding. It's a rich incense with wood wood wood.
    Thanks for catching it. I did sample Gucci by Gucci. Will put Gucci Pour Homme in my next sample requests. Glad you liked Yasmin and company.

I am very late to this party and all my very favorite Incense perfumes have been mentioned, however, I noticed some missing if this were my list. Two that are worth smelling are Parfum d'Empire's Wazamba and Dior Mitzah, although I think that one is discontinued. Bond No. 9 Silver Factory is also nice. I also liked Nobile 1942 Ponte Vechio Men, Iunx Eau Sento, Etro Messe de Minuit and one of my very favorites Acqua Santa by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo.

You have a very impressive list. I just came out to tell you how impressed I am with this thread.
    Evenstar

My favorite incense is perhaps CdG Hinoki, but I have longevity/sillage issues.
    I also love Passage d'Enfer, but same issues, even worse.
    Full Incense is nice.
    Olibanum is perfection, but you have to wait for the dry down.

Basenotes Plus

See post #186, klimax.

I don't know whether somebody quoted it before but another great take on the frankincense theme is represented for sure by Craft Andrea Maack.
    Currently wearing: Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by klimax View Post
    oh nice.

ScentFan describes *House of Matriarch Blackbird as 'magical' and *Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures as 'hypnotic'. I'm interested in Blackbird but damn is it expensive...$300 thats almost 200 pounds. Jovoy one has myrrh, Myrrh was ingredient added to CoStume National Scent Intense, with their so-called *CoStume National Scent Intense Special Edition which turned out to be a disaster.

I had Gucci Pour Homme II, lovely bottle but its one I gave away lol. I wish someone made a a thread like this for fruits. Back 2 Black by Kilian is the King of the hill.

There are some more reviews of the Jovoy 'Liturgie' here, klimax - it's on my 'to do' list somewhere!

Basenotes Plus

True, klimax - my interest in it is mostly to compare with others as I was impressed by Psychedelique from Jovoy.
    Some of the online distributors do sell samples, which is the way I would go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klimax View Post
    From the little I read about it, it's not something that will be good for clubwear. They don't do sample sizes, so don't have a reason to try before I buy.
    You can get samples from Luckyscent.com.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Or Bloom or Roullier in London.

Only two I know and love...

L'Eau d'Issey PH Intense
    Mauboussin M Generation

M Generation is amazing, has this deep rich smoky Cedar scent. Reminds me exactly of Mon Nom est Rouge. Divine is this!

Basenotes Junkie

my favorites are already listed (incense oud, LDDM, Incense rose). Another to try is Diptyque 34 Blvd St Germain. After a half hour or so the incense comes out and it is really nice.

rick

Basenotes Plus

Aw, sorry about that, klimax