Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: In Search of most divine Incense

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Could we enshrine this one somewhere for future reference pls?
    Sure! Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Would be able to spare a couple more minutes and give as an example fragrance of your favourite for each of these variants? Just a thought...
    Sure! I'll be gone most of the day, but I'll try and do it when I get home later tonight / tomorrow. I actually use a few different kinds myself (especially of frankincense, but myrrh also), but I could jot down the one's I find to be "reference" materials.

Wow, thanks, deadidol. Now that I see your description of opoponax, I'm proud of my student nose. I started to say camphor, then wasn't sure I knew what camphor smells like, so opted for eucalyptus instead. Thanks, also, for the tip on dilution. I totally second rum's thought. I'd love examples of good frags in which these ingredients star. Thanks tdwctdwc. I'll keep plugging away. It's really a joy. Xscent, Bois d'Ascese haunted me. I kept returning to it and had to buy. I'll catch up with you on Lutens. I've collected all the samples and plan a Lutens sniff fest, of course!

image.jpg

Great thread. There are a lot of recent releases I haven't got to yet but this is an old pic of some of my favourites. As has been pointed out 'Incense' can cover a fairly broad swathe of stuff beyond just frankincense driven compositions . . .

Of the more western 'churchy' ones I like Avignon, mainly because it's an original - the pebble that started the avalanche in some ways. I did a few days of comparing Encens Flamboyante (moist, innocent young nun) with Bois d'Encens (dry, tight-lipped old priest) but over the last year or two I have come to really enjoy Bois d'Encens as a room scent - they spray it with gay abandon at the Giorgio Armani flagship here and it smells just GREAT.

Memoir Man is a fantastic brooding Heathcliffian use of frankincense . . . way more 'profane' than 'sacrée'.

Les Nereides Opoponax is superb - you can get real insight into the workings of both Shalimar and Habit Rouge by wearing this one. Diptyque's Eau Lente is also great - the opoponax surfaces once the clovey accord up front fades (their Opoponax Room Spray is magnificent, BTW). I also really like the use of opoponax as a major part of the foundation of Interlude Man.

I recently bought Bois d'Armenie - terrific, solid and also a fun take on the actual paper strips. I think Myrrhe et Delires is a sleeper - wonderful summer friendly use of myrrh. I don't like what they did with myrrh in Eau Sauvage Parfum, though - not sure what the idea was there at all.

Balsamo della Mecca is probably the most evocative off the lot for me, even though I haven't been within a thousand miles of Mecca. It's a masterpiece of storytelling.

LADDM, Angeliques Encens and Opus VI all qualify as 'sort of incense' worth a look IMO, altho they strike me as more ambers. They are personal favourites, each and every one.

The recent Encens Mythique from Guerlain is great altho to me it's more a play on ambergris (and pure unbridled sex) than incense.

The way Vero Kern tucks some benzoin way, way underneath Mito EdP is also a treat - it's such a versatile note. One day I hope to get my hands on the Prada exclusive Benjoin to see what that's all about - if anyone knows it please spill the beans!
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 23rd January 2014 at 04:33 PM.

Many thanks, mr. reasonable. I think Timbuktu is the only one in that pic that I presently own. What is the other L'Artisan?

Off ordering a sample of Balsamo della Mecca!

And also Tawaf!
    Last edited by ScentFan; 23rd January 2014 at 06:20 PM.

Two more before I seek nourishment. In alpha order, skipping for now those not yet arrived.

Amouage Memoir Woman. A just lovely orangey/floral top note. On the skin this turns more beautiful as the incense and woods rise, and blend. The notes are: Absynth, cardamom, mandarin orange, pink pepper, wormwood, clove, incense, pepper, jasmine, rose, white flowers, musk, french labdanum, oak moss, styrax, leather. It's a complex scent that so far works. Rising from sleep, Yasmin takes it from me and at first is pleased. "Theoretically I should love this, but something breaks the spell. Perhaps the absynth." Not sure what that smells like, so I look it up. An anise-flavored spirit. "I'm on the fence,” she says. "This is very good, but perhaps not great and greatness is what I seek,” she looks at the sleeping Walad, “in both perfumes and in men.” She looks at me. “Is he innocent?” I say nothing. Authors can’t spill the beans to the characters. That would be no fun at all.

Annick Goutal Les Orientalistes Encens Flamboyant. “How magical,” Yasmin says. I agree. Sniffing the bottle yields a whiff of bright pleasure. On paper, it settles into an almost citrusy incense bouquet. On skin is where the magic starts, the scent deepening and becoming hypnotic while retaining its incense identity. What’s in it? Top notes are incense, pink pepper, pepper and red berries; middle notes are nutmeg, incense, cardamom and sage; base notes are balsam fir, incense and mastic or lentisque. Shocked to find not a single flower. The sweetness comes from the berries and the mellowness from the cardamom. I wouldn’t have expected to love such a perfume, but I do. “Me, too,” Yasmin agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Would be able to spare a couple more minutes and give as an example fragrance of your favourite for each of these variants? Just a thought...
    I misread this post, rum, and thought you were referring to the materials themselves. Some of these notes are hard to detect in fragrance blends, some are notes that really would only work well when deeply blended, but here's a few:

Frankincense is well represented in Sahara Noir. That's pretty much all this fragrance does, but it does it extremely well.

Opoponax is such a strong note that I can't think of any scents that really foreground it—it needs to be relegated to a degree. For example, in Les Nereides' Imperial Opoponax, you get more of a citrus amber than the kind of camphor note that opoponax projects. You might be better off sniffing the opening notes of Opus VII which is a powerful galbanum. That's probably a little closer.

Cistus really varies, and again, I can't think of anything that foregrounds it, but you'll often find it side by side with frankincense as it carries a similarly bitter charge. With that said, Labdanum (the resin from the same plant) is used quite often, but is well featured in Norma Kamali Incense (alongside styrax, copal, myrrh etc.) The kind of turpenic, almost chemical scent that the Kamali gives off is largely the result of styrax and labdanum.

Benzoin is more of a middle / base and is somewhat undetectable in a complex mix, as is myrrh, so neither are that well represented as featured notes. Both benzoin and myrrh transition outside of the incense genre quite easily, showing up in a number of the Slumberhouse scents as well as scents by Lush. If you can get your hands on it, Le Labo's new (ish) Benjoin 19 is a benzoin-fest, but MFK's AplS has quite a bit, too. Myrrh tends to sit underneath other notes, but if you spray Slumberhouse's Vikt or Zahd onto a test strip, you'll get a good whiff of the stuff. Also, Jovoy's La Liturgie des Heures brings a number of these notes together quite well, too.

For cypriol / nagarnotha, your best bet is to look toward almost any western oud scent as that's going to be a key player.

Again, with some of these notes, they're not ideally suited for a feature, and with others, they make better bases than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    For cypriol / nagarnotha, your best bet is to look toward almost any western oud scent as that's going to be a key player.
    Apologies for a swift hijack, but... deadidol, is there a lot of cypriol in AdP Colonia Intensa Oud? Something that smells like freshly milled larch planks, perhaps?

<SNIP>
    Thanks for replying with such detail, DI. Really appreciate the time and effort you put in to this.

I can certainly imagine what opoponax is as I think I am getting it in Villoresi's Sandalo although it is hard to separate that note in my head from the rosewood and sandalwood which are both prominent in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    .....What is your favorite?......
    Michel Almairac's Bois d'Encens (Armani Prive)

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Michel Almairac's Bois d'Encens (Armani Prive)
    By coincidence, it is in the next installment. I'm just about to sniff it for the first time.

Lulling sounds of a sitar reach Walad from a distant oasis. Waking, he resolves to face these gods who beset them. He slips out, finds his horse and gallops to the shore, there demanding that Aphrodite show herself. She rises and he kneels, spreading the yellow-white flowers of the linden tree on the water in offering. "You bring my favorite flower? Why?" she asks. "To beseech you. You are too lovely to so vilely destroy us." Aphrodite frowns. Uh-oh.

April Aromatics Bohemian Spice. Redolent spicy top. Makes me think of mince meat or pumpkin pie being baked by a beautifully-perfumed chef. Unfortunately, too much sniffing and this will make me sneeze. The website says it’s their most complex perfume. "From the opening exotic spices are mingling with the citrus fruit. In the heart woods and oriental spices blended with incense from Oman and Highland Lavender reveal a certain spirituality. Sandalwood and vetiver dance to the music of a tambourine, wild and free. Patchouli connects us with mother earth and gives the scent an immense power. The use of a special soft and subtle gourmand vanilla accord, unique creation of April Aromatics, brings a strong tenacity into the base and helps to carry top and middle notes along the journey."

April Aromatics Calling All Angels
    . Ah! Angels would certainly have to come for this creamy top not. Do I recognize opoponax? Not sure. Oh, no! I can’t keep my nose there long enough to tell. From the website: "Incense, Labdanum, Tonka Bean, Vanilla Accord, Benzoin, Elemi Resin, Frankincense, Amber Accord, (from natural essential oils), Honey Accord, Precious Woods Accord,Opoponax, Rose Otto, Love and Angel Guidance?” Yasmin takes both strips from my hand, says she’s choking, and refuses to put them on. Ah well. Those not easily asphyxiated should give them both a try.

Armani/Prive Bois d’Encens. Shucks. My nose is disabled by the previous two. Will have to come back to this one. Besides, Walad is about to return. Before he reaches the oasis, a breeze stirs and Diba feels compelled to slip away. Behind a palm she finds what appears to be Walad and with no words he once again embraces her. She is swept into haunting bliss, oblivious to all but an inner fire sweetly building. What mortal can resist a god’s caress? She does not hear the approach of Fizur, of her brother (who needs a name) and Yasmin -- doesn’t hear Yasmin’s heartbroken sob. His deed complete, the faux Walad flees and the real one happens to arrive, dismount, and walk into the scene — Diba swooning in the sand, Yasmin weeping, the brother reaching for Fizur’s one-handed scimitar and, with a roar, flying toward Diba and Walad.

The characters seem preoccupied and one doesn't have a name, so I'll sniff in their stead.

Armani/Prive Bois d’Encens. A softly smoky aroma drifts up my nose. Incense predominates, perhaps there's cedar. It's quite nice, doesn't offend. Putting some on. It's mild and mellow. Notes: labdanum, vetiver, cedar, spice, Somalian incense (I'm really liking this ingredient). It's an elegant fragrance. Not sure it stands out enough for a buy, but it's definitely earned a place in the final sniff-off.

Barkhane Teo Cabanel. An only slightly brasher offering. I think I smell a floral, but faintly. This one also has elegant appeal. There's something musty and possibly sneeze-inducing here, though. On skin, it's also mellow. Notes: Top note is calabrian bergamot; middle notes are cumin, geranium and curry tree; base notes are patchouli, vetiver, agarwood (oud), labdanum, myrrh, tonka bean, vanilla and musk. I contrast it with the simplicity of Bois d'Encens. Perhaps a few too many ingredients here? For me it's not a buy, but many would like this I'm sure.

By Kilian Incense Oud. Love the citrusy top note. The oud is clear, but civilized. I'm thinking there's jasmine? Let's see. Notes: Top notes are geranium, cardamom, pink pepper and rose; middle notes are patchouli, virginia cedar, papyrus and methyl pamplemousse; base notes are musk, french labdanum, sandalwood, oak moss, incense and agarwood (oud). Nope, it was geranium and rose. Citrus is grapefruit. Here the complexity appeals. I'm captivated by the oak moss, the florals and the sandalwood. Nothing clashes. Together they say: just buy me. I might. It goes in the finals.

With only two scents left in this installment, let's check in with the characters. We need another Persian male name. Abbas? Okay, that's the brother.

Walad is the only one who's figured things out. He knows they're victims of the god's whims, and that he'll never convince the others to ignore the evidence of their eyes. As Abbas flies, scimitar in hand, to murder his sinful sister, Walad steps forward and cries, "Diba, I marry you! Mashallah!" Having awakened from her swoon and seen she's about to die, Diba cries, "Mashallah! I accept." Stunned, Abbas pauses. Walad declares. "With two witnesses and her male kin present, the marriage is valid. She is my second wife! Put down your sword." Abbas drops it, sobbing in relief not to have to kill the sister he loves. Firuz unbuckes his scimitar's um...sheath?...throws down the tassled cap that identifies him as the sultan's private guard, and stalks out of the (forgot where we are) the area, having lost his future wife. As for Yasmin, she can weep no more. She returns to the tent she once shared with only Walad, but now must share with Diba, her former maid -- at least until they fetch a new shelter grand enough for a sultan's wife. To console herself she sniffs the above perfumes, agrees with me, then sniffs two more, thinking.

Caron Yatagan. By coincidence this next one is named after a Turkish saber. Its peppery top note is fit accompaniment for a life made spicy by fortune. For me, Yatagan is so peppery it makes me think of a steak a poivre filet mignon. On paper the pepper dies down, but on skin it smells like steak at pre-sizzle. There are other elements, surely: woods, musk or amber, perhaps a floral. Notes per luckyscent: Pine, fennel, basil, Artemisia, oak moss, musk, castoreum, wood. I just can't believe there's no spice and what is Artemisia? Looking it up: Wormwood. Don't have any to smell. Ten minutes and the pepper has almost vanished. Maybe my nose is off tonight. "This is a man's scent vs unisex," Yasmin says. "I agree."

Cartier Panthere d' Cartier. Arrives the panther. Yasmin almost passes out. Rich, rich, deeply luxurious, seductive. If there's incense in this classic floriental, it's just a dab. Who cares what's in it? It goes in the finals. Heck, I may have to buy it before the day's out. This is a grand perfume, utterly perfect for women wearing that hunk of gold, onyx emerald and diamond fashioned into Cartier's signature panther ring. "Ring?" Yasmin says as Walad enters. He replies, "The Cartier panther is a grand and ostentatioius bauble. You may have it, but why would a precious gem like you want such a thing?" Yasmin glowers. "Perhaps you're thinking of giving it to Diba." Walad sighs and leaves the tent. Being a sultan can be hard. As for me, I wonder if the perfume came first or the ring? Looking it up. The perfume was created in 1986, the emblematic ring in 1914. "Shall we buy this?" Yasmin asks. I sigh. "Somehow we shall." Top: Grapefruit, Ginger, Labdanum, Mandarin, Orange blossom, Pepper. Heart: Freesia, Gardenia, Carnation, Heliotrope, Iris, Jasmine, Karo-Karounde, Nutmeg, Narcissus, Tuberose, Vetiver, Ylang-ylang. Base: Amber, Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, Cedar, Civet
    Last edited by ScentFan; 22nd February 2014 at 04:50 AM.

This thread now has an index in message #1. Thanks, again, deadidol, for the instructions and to blackheart2925 for the request.

To follow the story, read chronologically. To find a specific perfume, use the index. (Hmm, guess that's obvious)
    Last edited by ScentFan; 26th January 2014 at 04:00 AM.

Comme des Garcons 2 Man. Beautiful on first sniff, this intoxicating masculine scent Yasmin knows she'll steal from Walad now and then. She likes its solidity: definite greens and woods, clear incense, supported by other elements that only enhance these three. It doesn't shout, but get near and it's there. In fact, it's kind of sexy. It goes with the favorites. Top notes are aldehydes, nutmeg, caraway, kumquat and mint; middle notes are iris, vetiver and saffron; base notes are leather, incense and mahogany.

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense – Avignon. Walad re-enters the tent with Diba to show her where she'll sleep tonight. He has decided to spend the night with his men, drinking and pondering what to do now. Gently he strokes Yasmin's hair as he passes and hands her a new scent. Yasmin is swept away. Could this be the reigning incense? It's certainly a candidate. The previous one's subtlety is now replaced by high drama. Allah's Messenger might have worn it on his pilgrimage to Makkah, or the Christian Pope at high mass. The incense smells like wood burning in a censer with Frankincense and Myrrh thrown in Notes: Roman chamomile, cistus oil, elemi, incense, vanilla, patchouli, palisander, ambrette seeds. Yasmin's beginning to really like the resinous elemi. I look up palisander. It's cocobolo, a form of rosewood. My OH made things out of it. It smells kind of spicy. Ambrette smells a bit fecal, but it only adds to this scent. Yasmin almost wants to do a sniff-off right now to find if Avignon is the best or not.

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense - Kyoto
    . Now expecting good things of this third CdG, Yasmin puts it straight on her skin. Yasmin's eyes close on the new beauty. She never expected to find so many incense perfumes to love. Surely this one has a floral of some kind and fragrant wood, in addition to the incense. The main notes are: incense, cypress oil, coffee, teak wood, patchouli, amber, cedar and immortal flower. Perhaps the softest of the three, it is still remarkable, reminding her by its name of Japanese Shinto temples. All three go on the favorites list. She pauses in her sniffing and looks over at Diba, who has been watching. Yasmin wonders what she's thinking.

Diba, no longer innocent, marvels at her new position. Suddenly she isn't the maid, but a sultan's wife, specifically his second wife. According to Islamic tradition, the second rules over the first. What's more, Diba realizes that -- unlike the chaste Jasmin -- she may already be pregnant. If it's a son, he is a future sultan and she the future Valide Sultan. By rights, even at this moment, Diba can have Yasmin banished, if Yasmin gives cause. Walad has not thought of this yet, Diba knows, nor has Yasmin. Diba decides to bide her time and make friends with Walad's imam, who will determine Yasmin's fate when it's time.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 27th January 2014 at 12:08 AM.

Two scents arrived tonight that made this evening heavenly, Bois d'Ascese by Naomi Goodsir and Sonoma Scent Studio's Incense Pure. I'm adding the latter to this thread because it's excellent. I sprayed one on the back of each hand and they entertained my nose all evening. These scents are what I look for in a perfume. Three hours later and I can still smell them both, though Incense Pure has held more of its notes longer. They are both utter beauties, though, perfectly suited to women who don't want the stronger incenses designed for men. They share only labdanum, oakmoss, cedar and incense, but both manage to create an impression of florals without having a single flower in them.

Does anyone else love both of these? Back to the incense search tomorrow.

Bois d'Ascese is insanely good, but it's campfire more than incense on me. It's also quite incandescent—I have to really wear a lot for it to stick around. Incense Pure is jaw dropping. I tried it a couple of years ago and am just revisiting it (and the whole line) now. With that said, there's a note in it that I'm not too sure about yet, and I haven't quite pinpointed what it is, but I think it's patchouli.

Two scents arrived tonight that made this evening heavenly, Bois d'Ascese by Naomi Goodsir and Sonoma Scent Studio's Incense Pure. I'm adding the latter to this thread because it's excellent. I sprayed one on the back of each hand and they entertained my nose all evening. These scents are what I look for in a perfume. Three hours later and I can still smell them both, though Incense Pure has held more of its notes longer. They are both utter beauties, though, perfectly suited to women who don't want the stronger incenses designed for men. They share only labdanum, oakmoss, cedar and incense, but both manage to create an impression of florals without having a single flower in them.

I LOVE BdA! So very good and unique. It is truly one of the only frags that has impressed me in a long time. Oh, and I was shocked when my wife told me I smelled good. It's such a raw fragrance, I didn't think it would get a single compliment.

BdA is based on Somali incense.
    A lot of the Sudanese, Ethiopian , Eritrean & Somali fumigate it here.
    I like it in western perfume,well it's only just emerged, but the handful of iterations so far have been nice.
    Otherwise we only fumigate frankincense & oud wood here.

for swap/sale:

What do the Somalis make it from please, hedonist?

How does BdA compare to La Fumée (also Somali, right?) Hedonist?

In the reviews, Yasmin has expressed her strong liking of all the ones with Somali incense sniffed so far: Montale Full Incense, Bois d'Ascese, and Armani/Prive Bois d'Encens, possibly Incense Pure from SSS as well. My guess is this wonderful incense is based on opoponax, a resin which comes from a Somali shrub related to sweet myrrh? I also often note the presence of elemi.

Is that right, Hedonist 222? All ears.

"What do you mean she has a cold? We are waiting and things look dire, (as things ought to in a story)." I take two more of my homeopathic cold remedies and apologize to Yasmin. Impatiently, Diba waits. Why am I delaying her ascension to glory? Okay, I say, I'll try one with the clear understanding I may have to redo the sniff....SNIFF....I can't smell anything. Yasmin and Diba sit in the tent and sulk. Walad, relieved at the delay, drinks Arak all night with Fizur, discussing horses.

In the reviews, Yasmin has expressed her strong liking of all the ones with Somali incense sniffed so far: Montale Full Incense, Bois d'Ascese, and Armani/Prive Bois d'Encens, possibly Incense Pure from SSS as well. My guess is this wonderful incense is based on opoponax, a resin which comes from a Somali shrub related to sweet myrrh? I also often note the presence of elemi.

If it is opoponax, those will be on my 'to do' list!

What do the Somalis make it from please, hedonist?
    I think it's single ingredient like frankincense. But it's common to that geographic locale.
    What I mean by single is that it's not an accord like Papier d'Armenie.

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    How does BdA compare to La Fumée (also Somali, right?) Hedonist?
    Yes they're both based on Somali incense.
    But they revolve around different notes.

Montale Full Incense & Armani Bois d'Encens are based on frankincense not Somali Incense. Also, there could be elemi (definitely no oppoponax) but in tiny tiny doses.

Frankincense is a single ingredient.
    Here is a picture of me fumigating pure frankincense

for swap/sale:

Thank you for the info., hedonist - will have to go & check out the Somali frankincense!
    It may be Boswellia frereana (Maydis) as they seem to have two species growing there.
    Last edited by lpp; 29th January 2014 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks, hedonist222, especially for that lovely pic! Btw, where in the world are you? Sounds like somewhere in Africa?

Well, this is a mystery because the ingredient lists of each of those perfumes say they use Somali incense, whatever that means, apparently just Frankincense from Somalia?

He's in Abu Dhabi as it says below his avatar. It's the capital of United Arab Emirates.

I understood that Somali Incense was frankincense, Boswellia Carterii, but then I could be wrong.

That pic is great Hedonist. It reminds me (again!) that I have some lovely frankincense, and other stuff too, gorgeous smelling powders and also tablets that my friend brought from Bahrain. I've never got organised with a burner and your picture reminds me that I must. I sometimes just smell 'em.

Keep up the good work!

Interesting, Foustie - whichever species it is, burning frankincense in a burner is well worth the effort of finding a burner!

Thanks, hedonist222, especially for that lovely pic! Btw, where in the world are you? Sounds like somewhere in Africa?

Well, this is a mystery because the ingredient lists of each of those perfumes say they use Somali incense, whatever that means, apparently just Frankincense from Somalia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    He's in Abu Dhabi as it says below his avatar. It's the capital of United Arab Emirates.

I understood that Somali Incense was frankincense, Boswellia Carterii, but then I could be wrong.

That pic is great Hedonist. It reminds me (again!) that I have some lovely frankincense, and other stuff too, gorgeous smelling powders and also tablets that my friend brought from Bahrain. I've never got organised with a burner and your picture reminds me that I must. I sometimes just smell 'em.

Keep up the good work!
    Yep, I'm from Abu Dhabi. As I mentioned earlier we primarily fumigate Omani frankinsense (the moniker it goes by - but I'm certain it grows in Yemen as well). People from the Somalia area burn what is called Somali Incense (but also grows in Sudan).
    My understand, and I'm not a horticulturist, is that they're from the same species but different. Different enough to smell different.
    Sort of like how gazelles and sheep are both mammals but very different.

Interesting, Foustie - whichever species it is, burning frankincense in a burner is well worth the effort of finding a burner!
    A burner is nothing but a fireproof vessel. You can use a flower pot (:
    Line the pot with aluminum foil so that it doesn't get stained with ember if you like.

for swap/sale:

Ha - thanks, hedonist - a new use for cracked flowerpots

I found this link in trying to track the stuff down.
    http://www.stillpointaromatics.com/f...l-aromatherapy

Plus this is an interesting read
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boswellia
    Last edited by lpp; 31st January 2014 at 09:37 AM.

Go for Tauer's incense series, notably Incense Extreme. The most aerial, architectural, complex, elegant and versatile incense ever made.

Thanks, Colin Maillard - I was looking at that one last night with much interest.

This website was undergoing maintenance earlier but there is some very interesting info. here about Somali Boswellia sacra and the differences in the resins of carteri & sacra, which are harvested at different times of the year over there.

It will be interesting to compare this with the carteri & Omani sacra already here when it arrives.

http://www.hermitageoils.com/frankin...-co-op-project

Will report back on the Tauer Incense Extreme as well when that arrives.
    Last edited by lpp; 31st January 2014 at 02:15 PM.

Well the Vitamin C, Wild Oregano Oil, Boron Cold Calm and tons of water worked. And whatever Somali Incense is discovered to be, I so far love every scent that contains it. Catching up in alpha order:

MaisonFrancis Kurkdjian Paris Absolue Pour le Soir
    . The name translates to "absolute for the evening," and it is quiet as the night. On first sniff from the vial I smell almost nothing. On paper it barely registers. Linger and my nose begins to receive a subtle reward -- mastery of florals and woods, yet nothing shouts. Notes: Infusion of benzoin from Siam, cumin, ylang-ylang, Bulgarian and Iranian rose honey, incense absolute, Atlas cedarwood and sandalwood. This is a skin scent in that it perfumes the skin itself rather than the surrounding atmosphere. To achieve any projection takes more than a dab, but even then its creamy, powdery sweetness is restrained. This is an intimate scent in which no single note dominates, including incense. I recently sniffed L'Artisan's Amour Nocturnes and they remind me of each other except, to my nose, this is better. Yasmin, agreeing, picks it as a favorite.

CoSTUME National Scent Intense. "What to expect of these odd notes?" Yasmin asks. Amber, woods, jasmine tea and mother of pearl hibiscus. I don't recall seeing them together before, either, I say. Sniff. The top note is almost floral then the incense comes stronger, clearer than in the preceding scent and remains. Compared to Pour le Soir this is intense, as the name implies, but not so much that it would put anyone off. I'm almost coming to the conclusion that incense as an ingredient ennobles just about any combination of notes. Or perhaps it's that the scents my fellow BNers recommended are, on average, darned good. Yasmin also puts this with her favorites, despairing of how she'll manage the final sniff-off (but manage she shall)

Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme. "I don't smell much incense," Jasmin says. "This is a greener scent in a familiarly male genre. Let me try to guess: something citrus in the top then something else almost camphorous. The effect is very agreeable. I'd like Walad to wear this," she says. "There are woods, perhaps patchouli and another note I recognize but can't name." Looking it up for her. Top: Bergamot, cypress, violet. Mid: Tobacco, jamine. Base: Patchouli, olibanum, amber, elemi resin, leather. Re-smelling my elemi essential oil, I'm reminded it has a greenish-leathery-minty/camphor smell that is also called a spicy balsamic kind of smell. Going back to Gucci, its presence is recognizable. I do like what elemi does to perfumes. Reminding myself what olibanum is...okay, Frankincense. So, technically, this does have incense, just not in the Avignon or Norma Kamali league.

Guerlain Myrrhe & Delires. Yasmin sighs. "Another hypnotic one! How shall I ever compare them? Or perhaps I'm learning that, besides Jasmine, my preferred note is incense. This one is also a bit familiar, but still quite pleasant. It has a subtle creaminess that reminds me of Pour le Soir. I wouldn't knock down doors to get to it, like I would some of the others. Perhaps that's the criteria I should use. Would I go to any length to obtain it? No, but if given to me I'll not throw it away." Top notes are bergamot and grapefruit; middle notes are osmanthus, jasmine, rose and violet leaf; base notes are patchouli, incense, tonka bean, vanilla, myrrh and licorice. I agree with Yasmin that this is an accomplished perfume, but not one that would haunt me until I obtained it.

Guerlain Encens Mythique D’Orient
    . Yasmin hands it back to me. "This was in the Jasmine Sniff-Fest. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. Too much..." She looks out at Basenotes. "What are you calling it? Stank? Skank?" I look up the notes so we can settle this once and for all. Top: Rose, Aldehydes, Saffron. Mid: Pink pepper, Vetiver, Patchouli. Base: Woody notes, Ambergris, incense. Also somewhere in there is musk. Together with saffon, it must be the source of the funkiness and the rose isn't strong enough to civilize it. It's not for me.

Guerlain L'Art et La Matiere Bois d'Arménie. Another quite pleasant masculine scent that is familiar. It begins with a tobacco note that soon blends with ingredients I'm coming to recognize: florals, woods, perhaps a bit of spice. Top notes are iris, pink pepper and incense; middle notes are coriander, benzoin and guaiac wood; base notes are patchouli, white musk and copahu balm. The incense isn't dominant and I can't really distinguish it from other good male scents. "Neither can I," says Jasmin, "though it's certainly nice enough."

It is an hour before Maghrib, the day's fourth salat, when the Imam's voice will recite the Adhan, calling the encampment to prayer. Yasmin and Walad are out riding and most have followed them. They will return at the Imam's call. Diba strolls past his tent, knowing he is alone, studying the Q'uran. Just at the entrance she pretends to trip and falls, headlong into the sand. The Imam rises and rushes to her, looks about and seeing no one, fetches water to revive her.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 1st February 2014 at 05:10 AM. Reason: add Guerlain Armenie

Kurkdjian Absolue pour le soir smells like pee to me - not joking, I detect a rich, steamy smell of pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Kurkdjian Absolue pour le soir smells like pee to me - not joking, I detect a rich, steamy smell of pee.
    By all means then don't wear it.

Well the Vitamin C, Wild Oregano Oil, Boron Cold Calm and tons of water worked. And whatever Somali Incense is discovered to be, I so far love every scent that contains it. Catching up in alpha order:
    [B]

CoSTUME National Scent Intense. "What to expect of these odd notes?" Yasmin asks. Amber, woods, jasmine tea and mother of pearl hibiscus. I don't recall seeing them together before, either, I say. Sniff. The top note is almost floral then the incense comes stronger, clearer than in the preceding scent and remains. Compared to Pour le Soir this is intense, as the name implies, but not so much that it would put anyone off. I'm almost coming to the conclusion that incense as an ingredient ennobles just about any combination of notes. Or perhaps it's that the scents my fellow BNers recommended are, on average, darned good. Yasmin also puts this with her favorites, despairing of how she'll manage the final sniff-off (but manage she shall)
    I'm so happy with conclusion you came up with CoStume National Scent Intense,the opening is unlike anything I have ever smelt. I look forward to the final sniff-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks, Foustie. Must read those avatars. Yes, I know Abu Dhabi. My OH has spent time there. Will track down this elusive Somali Incense!

I've just finished working my way to this point in this epic saga. Such a fun read and educational in addition to enjoyable! Do keep up the fine sniffing/writing extravaganza! I can see I'll have to test some of these myself, down the road a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I've just finished working my way to this point in this epic saga. Such a fun read and educational in addition to enjoyable! Do keep up the fine sniffing/writing extravaganza! I can see I'll have to test some of these myself, down the road a bit.
    Thanks, danieq. I will. I am truly shocked at how wonderful so many of these fragrances are. Btw, your sample is nicely packed, waiting to be taken to the post office. I'll PM you the tracking code.

Oh thanks! I am looking forward to that very much. I agree that it is sometimes surprising how many really great options are available.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Bois d'Ascese is insanely good, but it's campfire more than incense on me. It's also quite incandescent—I have to really wear a lot for it to stick around. Incense Pure is jaw dropping.
    Is the campfire smell, which is mainly what I get from BdA too, is that the smell of somali incense, or is it something else? As campfire scents go, I think I prefer Jeke. Does Jeke have Somali incense in it?

I have a decant of IP coming. can't wait

Go for Tauer's incense series, notably Incense Extreme. The most aerial, architectural, complex, elegant and versatile incense ever made.
    Yes Colin. I agree. I have it too. It is one of the most satisfying fragrances that I have. It's mainly linear but somehow I never tire of it. I am aware of it all of the time that I am wearing it. Tom Ford's Sahara Noir is terrific too.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Is the campfire smell, which is mainly what I get from BdA too, is that the smell of somali incense, or is it something else? As campfire scents go, I think I prefer Jeke. Does Jeke have Somali incense in it?

I have a decant of IP coming. can't wait
    I think BdA and Jeke are masterpieces. I bought both practically on first sniff. They're at hand. Resniffing Gosh. Every time I smell Jeke I'm left almost speechless. Putting it on the right hand, BdA on the left. To me, Jeke is greener, doesn't have BdA's incense smell though it does have smokiness. Dunno. Jeke says "elemental scent of life on earth" and BdA says sophisticated incense fragrance. To me, they're works of art in different genres.

BdA says it has somali incense. I don't believe Jeke does, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 6th February 2014 at 03:50 AM.

That is an interesting one.

Miller Harris 'La Fumee', which has just been re-packaged, is another very nice one, quieter than the Tauer and very 'natural' smelling, not overpowering but unmistakably frankincense, spicy to start with radiance and the subtlety of sandalwood further along.
    Last edited by lpp; 13th February 2014 at 02:15 PM.

This is an awesome thread for one of my...if not...my favorite accord.

I thought it was interesting that you say Gucci pour Homme really feel like it doesn't feel like it has any incense. I myself some days get loads of cedar, not much incense and other days a ton of smoky incense and faint cedar. The incense in GpH never really jumps out and slaps you in the face like Avignon, it's more subdued.

Some days it's sweet (slightly Dr. Pepper ish...) and others it's bone dry cedar. It's one of those fragrances that wears differently each time your reach for it...at least for myself and that's why it's such a nice fragrance.

Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme. "I don't smell much incense," Jasmin says. "This is a greener scent in a familiarly male genre. Let me try to guess: something citrus in the top then something else almost camphorous. The effect is very agreeable. I'd like Walad to wear this," she says. "There are woods, perhaps patchouli and another note I recognize but can't name." Looking it up for her. Top: Bergamot, cypress, violet. Mid: Tobacco, jamine. Base: Patchouli, olibanum, amber, elemi resin, leather. Re-smelling my elemi essential oil, I'm reminded it has a greenish-leathery-minty/camphor smell that is also called a spicy balsamic kind of smell. Going back to Gucci, its presence is recognizable. I do like what elemi does to perfumes. Reminding myself what olibanum is...okay, Frankincense. So, technically, this does have incense, just not in the Avignon or Norma Kamali league.
    Last edited by rynegne; 13th February 2014 at 02:55 PM.

To me the olibanum (frankincense) note is very clear in Gucci pour Homme every time I wear it. It lasts for the first three hours, before the fragrance moves into dry, slightly smoky cedar and a light amber. But that slightly lemony frankincense blast is always there in the beginning.

The riders return, then at the Imam's call they perform wudu (ablution before prayer) then salat (prescribed prayer) -- rituals which lift Walad's heart, but not Yasmin’s because her people worshipped differently from Walad. After a meal, perfume samples are passed around.

Il Profumo Incens Epices. I think I smell very green notes, I say to Yasmin. She takes the vial and sniffs. “Yes. The incense is subtle. Green and woods strongly predominate, but mute themselves fairly quickly. I’m trying to decide whether i like it. The top note is almost camphorous and clears the nose.” Notes are: cypress, larch, incense, pine tree gems, coriander seeds, patchouli leafs, Opoponax, blond tobacco. “It’s agreeable, but I wouldn’t call it a luxurious scent,” she says. Neither would I.

Joseph Statkus Eau de Parfum. My hard-to-obtain sample has vanished! Will keep looking.

Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures. I tell Yasmin, this is the enchanting fragrance that inspired my exploration of incense perfumes. She takes the vial, sniffs, splashes some on her wrist and puts her nose there, saying, “Mmmm. Mmmm. What is it?” Cypress, incense, olibanum, cistus, myrrh, musk. These mere ingredients conspire to create a pleasing and lovely fragrance that is simply hypnotic. The musk and cistus tame the other elements, making this beauty a major entry in Yasmin’s finals. She looks forward to comparing it to the fragrant the likes of Bois D’Ascese and Incense Pure.

Jovoy Lys Epona. “This stinks,” Yasmin says. Don’t talk like that, I tell her and take the vial. “What’s Lys anyway?” Lily, I say. Top :Bergamot, Lily, Ravensara. Heart : Narcissus, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang, Wheat, Hay, Lily. Base: Musk, Labdanum, Tobacco, Cedar. “What’s Ravensara?” she asks. I have it as an essential oil. Well, it’s not exactly a beautiful smell. Ravensara and Lily, without other help, might conspire to be unlovely. They only made 100 bottles, I inform her. “That figures,” Yasmin says and rolls her eyes. “Like I said, it stinks. By the way, when are you getting back to our story? Right now.

A man strides toward me. It is the Imam Rahim. "What is our historical period, author?” he inquires. I knew he was going to ask that. All I know is that Rahim's father and Walad's were lifelong friends who pledged their sons to each others' service -- Walad to defend Rahim and Rahim to advise Walad. They have never failed each other. Unfortunately, Rahim isn't an excellent scholar, in spite of studying the Q'uran. He loves his friend, Walad, though, and wants to do right by him. I suggest to Rahim that, since we’re only having fun while discussing perfumes, we suspend history. Rahim frowns and replies, “At the earliest, this story must be occurring during the lifetime of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, and Walad must be one of the Arab Caliphs who overthrew Yasmin’s people and introduced Islam. Therefore she’s probably Sassanian. Otherwise, our story elements do not fit.” Yasmin grumbles, “But I want to be a sultana, not a calipha.” I think she can be both, Rahim says. I agree to his historical terms, more or less. “Furthermore, while Walad is Muslim, Yasmin was raised a Zoroastrian.” Rahim adds. I nod in concurrence. After all, he is an Imam.

Back to the story. Hearing that Walad has ignored her since their unplanned wedding, the Imam Rahim agrees that Diba has cause for complaint. Sure that Walad will right his wrongs to poor Diba, he takes her into the presence of Walad and Yasmin, his newly diminished and — as rumor has it — chaste first wife.

Knize Sec. "I will test this one, if you don’t mind,” Diba says, then takes it from Yasmin and sniffs. “It’s glorious,” she declares. [Hmm, not sure about glorious.] Yasmin snatches it back and sniffs. “It’s agreeable. Certainly not as beautiful as La Liturgie des Heures nor as putrid as Lys Epona.” She sniffs Knize Sec again. “It falls short of being distinctive, but I like the citrus top note and the dry down is, well, agreeable. Nothing disturbs or greatly pleases. It’s good, but not more." Top:Citric notes. Heart: Lavender, Sage, Frankincense. Base: Woods, White musk.

L’Artisan Dzongkha. I inform Yasmin that I own this one and find it marvelous. “I can certainly smell appealing elements,” she says. “What’s in it?” Top: Cardamom, Peony. Heart: Spices, Vetiver, Frankincense, White tea, Cedar. Base: Iris, Leather, Papyrus. “But seriously,” she asks, “having smelled wonderful others, author, can you still say this is tops?” I tell her I still like it. She rolls her eyes and tosses it in the box of favorites.,

L’Artisan Passage D’enfer. Woods, Lily, Musk, Frankincense. “A simple fragrance and lovely as a result,” Yasmin says. I agree. It smells like several of the other good incense perfumes.

L’Artisan Timbuktu. Once again, Diba steps up and takes the vial from me, saying, “This is a good one, it goes in the finals.” Yasmin frowns. “Who are you to decide?” Imam Rahim speaks. “She is Walad’s second wife. She may decide.” Walad’s eyes widen as he realized Rahim is right. “I, as sultan, am the ultimate decider.” He takes the vial, sniffs and looks woefully at Yasmin. "This is a beautiful scent. It doesn’t have the power of a Blackbird or Norma Kamali. It is a simple fragrance, but it is good like the previous one, perhaps better.” Yasmin asks in a low voice, “Good enough for the finals?” Walad faces Diba and says, “No!” Disagreeing, I slip it into the favorites box and look up its notes: Top: Cardamom, Mango, Pink pepper. Heart:Papyrus, Frankincense.Base: Benzoin, Myrrh, Patchouli, Vetiver

The Imam Rahim faces Walad. “Diba requests her marital rights. I advise you to comply.” He glares at Yasmin. “Our kingdom needs an heir.”

Outside the tent, Walad’s former personal guard, Fizur, has snuck back. When Diba, the one he loves, repeats the request for marital rights with Walad, Fizur finds his horse and, in despair, leaves the beach side encampment and rides off toward civilization, intending never to return.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 19th February 2014 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    This is an awesome thread for one of my...if not...my favorite accord.

I thought it was interesting that you say Gucci pour Homme really feel like it doesn't feel like it has any incense. I myself some days get loads of cedar, not much incense and other days a ton of smoky incense and faint cedar. The incense in GpH never really jumps out and slaps you in the face like Avignon, it's more subdued.

Some days it's sweet (slightly Dr. Pepper ish...) and others it's bone dry cedar. It's one of those fragrances that wears differently each time your reach for it...at least for myself and that's why it's such a nice fragrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    To me the olibanum (frankincense) note is very clear in Gucci pour Homme every time I wear it. It lasts for the first three hours, before the fragrance moves into dry, slightly smoky cedar and a light amber. But that slightly lemony frankincense blast is always there in the beginning.

Resniffed Gucci pour Homme just now and got strong cedar with an incense undertone and, yes, a bit of lemon. The incense here isn't as strong compared to the other perfumes I'm sniffing. It's a nice scent, though.

I don't have much to add to this thread as basically all of my favorite *incenses* have been already mentioned. I will drop one more name to add to the list though…

Liquides Imaginaires - Sancti

You might want to check my review here.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Probably my favorite is still the "hellish" (but at once divine) Norma Kamali Incense.

I just purchased this last week (vintage 1982 decant) and it arrived earlier this week. Definitely one of my favorite incense fragrances, if not my favorite already. I still need to devote more time to NK to formulate a more concrete opinion... But, off the bat thought, this turpentinic fragrance transports you to a dark and ominous world with dark grey skies and warm scorched earth. After one wearing, I can tell this one is both shocking and *^%*#@ breathtaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Probably my favorite is still the "hellish" (but at once divine) Norma Kamali Incense.
    Last edited by rynegne; 20th February 2014 at 03:58 PM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Dior Vetiver / SSS Incense Pure / Mancera Kumkat Wood / Slumberhouse & More...

NK Incense is the touchstone that all other incense fragrances have to answer to. Brutal and profound.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    It's quite unlike anything else that I've ever worn - love it.

As the lower status first wife, Yasmin serves wine to Walad and Diba in preparation for their night of love. Then she runs out of the tent to cry in private. The Imam Rahib, a kind man, follows and comforts her, but reminds her of her duty. She must not behave like a common woman. "Even though Diba is a common maid?" Yasmin wails. Rahib admits the situation is difficult. He brings perfume to distract her.

L'Occitane Eau des Baux. Another agreeable fragrance, Yasmin finds, though not moreso than the several other agreeable ones in the genre. It's quite pleasant, but lacks distinction compared to the best.
    Top:
    Cardamom, Pink pepper
    Heart:
    Frankincense, Cypress
    Base:
    Tonka bean, Vanilla

Le Labo Cuir 28. I smell the leather, Yasmin says, and something else a bit odd--like rubber? I can't quite place what's in it, I just know I don't want to wear it. Le Labo says: "Its main ingredients are leather (synthetic base), woods (vetiver), animal notes (ambrox), musks (muscenone), and vanilla absolute."

Maison Francis Kurkdjian Paris Cologne Pour Le Soir. "Now this is better," Yasmin says. I agree it has no odd smells and is more distinctive than the L'Occitane. It has a strong floral note. Luckyscent says it's: Infusion of Benzoin, Bulgarian and Iranian rose, honey, incense absolute. Rose dominate the incense to such an extent it barely belongs in this genre. I love rose, but it must be the Benzoin that's keeping me from falling in love.

Nasomatto Black Afgano. "Oh!" Yasmin gasps. "You are a beauty, aren't you?" This one reminds her of the great sniffs here -- of NK, Norne, Blackbird, but soon I detect a chemical note of some kind that is going to challenge breathing if I keep sniffing this. What a shame. It contains lovely woods and resins, perhaps a hint of florals. Incense rides majestically alongside all. Also oud? I'd be in love if I weren't about to sneeze.
    Top:
    Cannabis, Herbaceous notes
    Heart:
    Resins, Woods, Coffee, Tobacco
    Base :
    Oud, Frankincense

Suddenly there is a rumbling in the sky. Rahim and Yasmin look up, as do the others when they emerge from the great tent. It is hard to see in the dusk of evening, but soon an incredible sight appears. Surrounded by her retinue on dozens of magic carpets descending to the ground comes the Valide Sultan on her throne. Trying to hide on the very last carpet is Fizur, the former guard.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 20th February 2014 at 06:49 PM.

Perfect illustration of NK, rynegne.

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I don't have much to add to this thread as basically all of my favorite *incenses* have been already mentioned. I will drop one more name to add to the list though…

Liquides Imaginaires - Sancti

You might want to check my review here.
    Thanks alfarom.

I just found this thread about an hour ago and have enjoyed it immensely. Thank you for your efforts. A quick question, how close are you to the end of the journey? I look forward to the ultimate conclusion!

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I just found this thread about an hour ago and have enjoyed it immensely. Thank you for your efforts. A quick question, how close are you to the end of the journey? I look forward to the ultimate conclusion!

Thank you, markc. It's been real fun. Hope to wrap up this weekend and get back to my previously started "Learning Chypre" thread.

p.s. Yasmin's story starts here.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 21st February 2014 at 03:51 AM.

Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman. I’d better get some sniffing in before things get dire. The top note is an enchanting leather accompanied by incense that my nose thinks is synthetic though it may not be. It bars, rather than blends with, the other notes that try to lend a sultry floral/vanilla beauty. I’m left wanting to sneeze again. Those without such an allergy may enjoy this perfume.
    Top: Iris, Jasmine, Labdanum
    Heart: Benzoin, Leather, Tolu balsam
    Base: Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense

When her carpet lands, the Valide Sultan steps grandly from her throne and insists on a halt to Diba's marital rights request. She says to Walad. "What is this insanity, my son? You have married your wife's maid? Where is the wretch?" Diba, previously emboldened by Imam Rahib's support, now shivers in her new finery. Yasmin pushes her forward and she stumbles. "I am here." The Valid Sultan crosses her arms. "Aren't you the one who used to empty my daughter-in-law's chamber pot?" To Walad she says, "Divorce her! You will not beget my grandchildren on such a one.” Imam Rahib steps forward and starts reciting from the Q’uran, which doesn’t recognize a spouse’s social status as grounds for divorce. Inflamed, the Valide Sultan, a quite good scholar herself, points out that divorce is the right of the husband alone, after two arbiters are consulted, one from each family. Silence. No one wants to call in Diba’s brother. Fizur, pleased with events, tiptoes to retrieve perfumes for Yasmin to smell during the duel of sacred passages, everyone pausing as they must for Maghrib, sunset prayers.

PK Perfumes Pentecost. This is a unique fragrance, which also proved too much for my nose. I fell in love with the distinctive leafy notes, fresh sap of twigs, the florals. The lush base mellows it and the incense. This fragrance and I would have walked off into the sunset were I able to tolerate whatever it is that makes my nasal passages close. For those without such sensitivities who like these notes, this is a gem.
    Birch leaf, Green twigs, Leaves, Fresh air,
    Rose, Jasmine, Tuberose, Cassia,
    Frankincense, Myrrh, Sandalwood, Amber

Profumum Ambra Aurea. The power of this lovely scent is its simplicity. It is a perfect blend of grey amber, frankincense and myrrh. The smell is dry and ascetic. I think there’s a little spice, but not much. Yasmin, who’s been riveted on the verbal battle, takes notice of this one and selects it for the finals.

Slumberhouse Norne. What can I say about this magnificent scent that I haven’t already said elsewhere? Yasmin and I are bowled over by Slumberhouse perfumes, each a work of art. Here the notes are Pine needle, Lichen, Fern, Moss, Hemlock, Frankincense, but it must be the Hemlock from King Lear, it must be lichen from gravestones in Père Lachaise, it must be Walt Whitman’s moss hanging from a Louisiana live oak’s lusty branch. Let me sniff Norne again. “How can anything smell like this?” Yasmin asks. I don’t answer. I am in the forest primeval with “the murmuring pines and hemlocks, Bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight.” When she finishes sniffing, Yasmin, in spite of her troubles, ululates to the night sky and the desert sands in celebration of this scent.

Slumberhouse Vikt. Another one for which I can only write superlatives. Here’s an excerpt from my BN review: “Glorious decadence. Beautiful. Yes, technically, it's green and woody and a tad spicy, but, shucks, those are only words. If I ever decide to go to hell in a hand basket or on wheels, or to kingdom come, I'll wear Vikt! Applause.” The notes are: Oud, Ravensara, Styrax. I’ve smelled all three in my expanded perfumery notes kit. How Vikt was the result, I’ll never know.

Sonoma Scent Studio Incense Pure. After falling in love with most of Slumberhouse, I fell in love with most of Sonoma Scent Studio, too. Both houses produce unusually accomplished scents, IMO, if in very different ways. Yasmin says she adores Incense Pure and finds it more suitable for herself than some of the beast fragrances here. The fabulously blended notes are: Ambergris, Angelica root, Oakmoss, Elemi resin, Indian patchouli, Iris, Labdanum, Myrrh, Sandalwood, Vanilla absolute, Frankincense, Cedar, Cistus. I agree with her, in part. I’ll never actually wear Norma Kamali. I just want to be able to smell it the rest of my life. IP I can wear. If someone incensed a spring meadow, edged by fragrant woods, IP would be the result. Needless to say, the last three go in the finals.

Now to the debate. The Imam Rahim plays his trump card. “Walad may not divorce her until we are sure she is not pregnant.” Tired of allowing a lie, Walad says, “But—“ then he stops, fearing no one will believe him. His mother, the Valide Sultan, quotes a hadith to Walad. “Say the truth, even if bitter.” Hoping that Aphrodite and Poseidon won’t punish them further, Walad gathers courage and says, “I never had relations with Diba. I only married her to save her life.”

Diba cries, “No! It was you! I am sure of it!” The Imam Rahib, believing Walad, says, “You must tell us who has undone you, child. Was it Fizur?” Fizur, confused, tries to hide himself. He knows Diba’s brother will hear of this and return to take her life as well as Fizur’s. Not caring about a servant’s troubles, the Valide Sultan marches to her son, grabs his ear and leads him to Diba. Repeat after me, she orders, “I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce you!” Sultan or not, Walad obeys and repeats the words. Diba says, “but you forced him to say that and I did not agree!” The Imam Rahib sighs and explains her agreement is not required. “When a man verbally declares divorce three times, even if forced or in jest, it is final.”

Next the Valide Sultan’s angry gaze finds Yasmin.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 22nd February 2014 at 05:15 AM.

Love your description of Incense Pure, I can't wait for it to arrive. Incredibly raw and realistic. I love the fact that it smells as if I'm sniffing resins directly from the tree in Oman or Somalia...comparable to smelling live tree saps in the forests around here and Norne in a sense.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Dior Vetiver / SSS Incense Pure / Mancera Kumkat Wood / Slumberhouse & More...