Code of Conduct

Default Blindbuy Encre Noire for a gift?

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a Christmas/birthday present for a friend who is not very into perfume. I am considering buying him Encre Noire to start him off, since it is relatively inexpensive but still a reputable (???) brand and had received great reviews online. Do you think it would be a safe buy, or should I look for something else?

Thank you!
    Last edited by sansastark; 21st December 2013 at 02:31 AM.

Default Re: Blindbuy Encre Noire for a gift?

My first thought would be no - not a safe blind buy. From what you've said about your friend's tastes, he's into sweet stuff. Encre Noire is dank and earthy, quite the opposite of anything sweet.

On the other hand, if he's getting into fragrances more and more, Encre Noire might be a perfect way for him to expand his horizons. When you own something, you're much more likely to give it more time.

So while it's not what I'd call safe, Encre Noire is certainly an appropriate gift for someone who wants to learn more about fragrances.
    Last edited by ebear; 11th December 2013 at 08:36 AM.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    My first thought would be no - not a safe blind buy. From what you've said about your friend's tastes, he's into sweet stuff. Encre Noire is dank and earthy, quite the opposite of anything sweet.

On the other hand, if he's getting into fragrances more and more, Encre Noire might be a perfect way for him to expand his horizons. When you own something, you're much more likely to give it more time.

So while it's not what I'd call safe, Encre Noire is certainly an appropriate gift for someone who wants to learn more about fragrances.
    +++1

Definitely not. Almost same went situation with my brother in law. He hated it! And he loves vetiver!

Encre Noire is one of the worst blind buys you can make. Imo the scent is a acquired smell.

Go for it.

It's a good perfume.

for swap/sale:

Not only does it smell good (to most), but it's not very expensive (I think it is one of the best values out there when you can find it < $40). I would NOT suggest Chanel Sycomore for a blind buy, but Encre Noire I would.

There are no safe blind buys, one always has to agree to the risk that follows it. I was lucky thusfar with blind buys, however for myself, not others.

Banned
    Blog Entries

No.
    I would go with one of the mainstream scents from the houses he has bottles of already..
    YSL L'Homme
    Chanel Allure

Naw, I wouldn't blindbuy Encre Noire. This is one of those love or hate fragrances.

Many people say that there are no safe blind buys. I would say that there are no safe fragrance gifts. If you don't KNOW what the person likes, it doesn't matter if you ever smelled it or not -- assuming what someone else would like is risky. Then to give that risk to them as a gift is even more risky. Like your mother buying you a sweater.

I think there are safe blind buys for yourself - once you know what you like, etc. But personally, I don't agree with giving fragrances as a gift generally unless they asked for that specific one. But, EN is safer than most if you feel compelled to spring that on someone.

Not a good gift idea, unless you are sure that he likes vetiver, and dark scents.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

No.no.no! Get him an American Xpress gift card...Avoid Retribution and put a smile on your friends face...peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by sansastark View Post
    Hello everyone,

Do you think it would be a safe buy, or should I look for something else?

Thank you!
    IMO Yes, I'd go for it.
    (1450)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Definitely not. Almost same went situation with my brother in law. He hated it! And he loves vetiver!
    That says it all.

To me, it's an exercise in 'woods'

If you blind buy it for a friend, you should be sure to get a gift reciept and some samples so he can decide for himself. It's a fantastic fragrance, but I wouldn't think it's everyone's cup of tea.

N.O.

From the scents you list, your friend likes scents that stand out and project.
    The recent bottle of Encre Noir I bought doesn't stand out or project to my nose.
    It would be a safe blind buy for someone wanting something on the more subtle side.
    Regards,
    Renato

Blog Entries

I don't necessarily think that Encre Noir is difficult to like--especially if you like woody-vetiver. Still, blind buys for other people are pretty risky. A blind buy for yourself is fine because YOU have nobody to blame but yourself

I personally wouldn't do it. Ask him if there is something he knows that's on his wish list. Go with that to be safe. That's what I would do.
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    From the scents you list, your friend likes scents that stand out and project.
    The recent bottle of Encre Noir I bought doesn't stand out or project to my nose.
    It would be a safe blind buy for someone wanting something on the more subtle side.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I agree. Good point.
    My recent bottle does not project much and the scent basically fades into a skin scent.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    I agree. Good point.
    My recent bottle does not project much and the scent basically fades into a skin scent.
    Yes, it doesn't seem to bear much of a relationship to the scent that garnered all the glowing praise and hype from the period after it first came out. I did find it and test it in a shop at the time, and I thought it was a stronger scent than that which I eventually bought.
    Regards,
    Renato

No, but based on his likes list and your wish to buy Encre Noire I'd go with Terre D'Hermes EDT and everyone will be happy.

Judgin from the examples, go for Opium pour homme eau de parfum:

Unless he is really passionate about fragrances and is open minded about trying new things. Then go for Encre Noire. Don't overlook Lalique White, it's the contrasting brother to Encre Noire and a safer blind buy IMHO.

I'd say go for it. If he doesn't like it, he will probably sell it forward.... and gets some money of it which is a kind of present also.
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Thank you all for the reply! I will shop around a bit more before making a decision.

The more someone likes fragrances the harder it is to buy them a perfume or perfume-related gift. My OH has completely given up trying to work out what I've got, what I am lusting after next and which things I wouldn't touch with someone else's barge pole.

I'd wear Encre Noire, but then again I'm a woman who wears men's cologne frequently and my tastes are my tastes, nobody else's.

I hope you find the perfect gift
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'