Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Red face Men use women's perfume

Man with woman perfume very strange? This problem is like a man makeup
    I bought a car perfume from tmart.com
    My friend John started with me to talk about men use perfume
    He felt that men use perfume is very strange, how do you think?
    Last edited by Charlottetwo; 12th December 2013 at 05:30 AM.

Default Re: Men use women's perfume

Not a problem at all.

Why do you ask?

And welcome to Basenotes!
    Last edited by lpp; 11th December 2013 at 08:29 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Ignore gender marketing - just enjoy fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottetwo View Post
    The problem is all yours. Life is short enjoy it in any way you can.

Basenotes Plus

i think you should open you mind a little. You should be able to wear a fragrance that you like regardless of what gender it's being marketed to. If
    fragrances had no gender association i think people would be a lot more open to wearing fragrances they want to wear but dont because it's not for "men".

Welcome to BN
    men in TV and cinema use make up, what is the problem?
    Some of the all time classics are marked femme (e.g. Shalimar)
    but here in BN you find it adored more by me

The OP is saying men wearing makeup is wrong, then likens this to men wearing women's perfume.
    That's how I comprehended it.

for swap/sale:

"Women's" perfumes have so much more variety, and arguably better quality, than "men's¨" ones. As for men wearing makeup, guyliner often looks great.

Strange to describe it as a 'problem'!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Whatever you like you buy..
    Plain and simple..
    Habanita and Alex Curran are the 2 women's perfumes I enjoy..

Will I buy Britney Spears or Victoria Secret's- of course not

Quite a few women, and I'd guess men, would not enjoy if their man smelled of women's perfume or children's candy, so it is worth considering when and where to wear such scents if one wishes to. The claim that it's not an issue at all is idealism but not reality, in my opinion.

I do own and wear women's scents.

I am a woman and the only men's scent I wear is Creed Original Santal. I am very careful that any unisex fragrances don't smell too masculine on me. Some people like me are sensitive about gender. That said, I LOVE men's fragrance and sample it on cards at the store. I just don't feel comfortable wearing it.

Don't believe the myth.

If it doesn't feel strange for you, then there's no problem.
    (1452)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It all depends how the perfume is marketed...I've encounter unisex that should be female only and female that should be unisex....but agree with you that certain scents are predominantly known as female concoction through time are meant for females but there are certain males that like these frags...I'm more of masculine base man myself but if certain notes known to be only females concocted and blended with other notes that bring it's Macho side out do work well for me and as your nose develops , you will begin to appreciate them ...that is the male tilting blends done with let's say Rose,iris,violets....etc.......but I would never wear per say Miss Dior or Elizathe Taylor Passion for women or those Girly Girl scent...of course not...I wanna make sure you smell a man coming through.....and not confusion arriving through......
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Several female fragrances have notes that I personally perceive more as male or as unisex (and pointing out again that it's a strictly personal opinion), especially a few major categories: fresh/aquatic, citrus, leathery, even less "perfumy", less sweet florals. Most likely, I'd have no problem to both wear most of them myself and to see them marketed for both genders, speaking from a strictly personal viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Quite a few women, and I'd guess men, would not enjoy if their man smelled of women's perfume or children's candy, so it is worth considering when and where to wear such scents if one wishes to. The claim that it's not an issue at all is idealism but not reality, in my opinion.

I do own and wear women's scents.
    Sorry, the last point made no sense in context with the rest. Do you mean you own and wear women's fragrances only when no-one else can smell them?

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I am a woman and the only men's scent I wear is Creed Original Santal. I am very careful that any unisex fragrances don't smell too masculine on me. Some people like me are sensitive about gender. That said, I LOVE men's fragrance and sample it on cards at the store. I just don't feel comfortable wearing it.
    Meaning what, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    It all depends how the perfume is marketed...I've encounter unisex that should be female only and female that should be unisex....but agree with you that certain scents are predominantly known as female concoction through time are meant for females but there are certain males that like these frags...I'm more of masculine base man myself but if certain notes known to be only females concocted and blended with other notes that bring it's Macho side out do work well for me and as your nose develops , you will begin to appreciate them ...that is the male tilting blends done with let's say Rose,iris,violets....etc.......but I would never wear per say Miss Dior or Elizathe Taylor Passion for women or those Girly Girl scent...of course not...I wanna make sure you smell a man coming through.....and not confusion arriving through......
    No it doesn't; it all depends on how the perfume smells. And if you like it; and if you like it on you. If you have enough confidence in yourself, the man will come through no matter what fragrance you are wearing.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    No it doesn't; it all depends on how the perfume smells. And if you like it; and if you like it on you. If you have enough confidence in yourself, the man will come through no matter what fragrance you are wearing.
    Completely agree. I own and regularly wear a number of "womens" scents and am yet to be told by anyone that I smell feminine. My philosophy is simple - if I like it, then it's unisex. With a whole world of possibilities out there, strict adherence to gender marketing is unnecessarily restrictive.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th December 2013 at 06:09 PM.

Call me skeptical, but the OP has only one post on Basenotes -- and it's a provocational one.

Just something to consider.
    Last edited by deadidol; 11th December 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Call me skeptical, but the OP has only one post on Basenotes -- and it's a provocational one.

This. Ignore ignorance. Happy Christmas!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post

Oh I realised it's probably a troll; bring it on I say.

If I can wear Green Irish Tweed then why can a man not wear Miss Balmain? As long as the man happens to like Miss Balmain then what is the problem?
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

It's all in the mind...

Blog Entries

A quick search will reveal a plethora of threads on this topic.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

I do not understand why it is such a problem? I know loads of women that wear more men's fragrance than women's fragrances because they like the smell better , but no one ever says anything about that .. But the second a man wants to wear a women's perfume , there is something wrong with him? This is 2013 and people should be able to wear whatever they want.. I feel perfume may be marketed to different genders and some notes may be considered feminine or masculine but overall that is because we have been conditioned to think like that.. Back in ancient times men use to wear rose and jasmine not just women.. I wear whatever I like, and a lot of women's perfume work perfect for me.. Why would I limit myself? If there is a fragrance that I like and want to experience , than I am going to wear it and not think twice.. As far as others smelling it on me, I do not really care what others think? I have worn a green floral like Gucci Envy for women and was told that my cologne smelled really fresh! Can you imagine that? If I'm going on a date with a girl, I might just choose a more masculine fragrance but at the end of the day I am not going to let labeling ruin my experience of perfumery..

Why I have this question?
    Last week I bought a car perfume from tmart.com
    And then my friend John smelled, and then he began to talk about men use perfume with me
    He thinks that men use perfume is strange behavior.

Blog Entries

Oh I realised it's probably a troll; bring it on I say.
    That's the spirit!

There used to be big fights on here about men's and women's fragrances, and what notes went with which gender. I think Olivier Polge beat that stuff down with Dior Homme and Kenzo Power, to the point that my wife has to ask me now if most new things are "supposed to be" for a man or a woman.

And then my friend John smelled, and then he began to talk about men use perfume with me
    Hi Charlottetwo!

This is not an uncommon attitude, but it seems to be more and more rare. There is a famous woman on the news here in America who recently said the same thing - she did not "get" men wearing perfume. Other people, no problem. This is just a personal attitude. My father and his generation all smoked and wore fragrances and thought nothing was wrong with either. Right now society in America seems to be heading more toward fragrance for men, but not very loud ones - somewhat quiet.

When I was a student, the men typically helped new immigrants to learn about American fragrance customs, which included using deodorant and then some kind of fragrance, but not too much. But some immigrants were happy to maintain their own customs, which I liked, because they liked lots of fragrance, like me!

Sorry, the last point made no sense in context with the rest. Do you mean you own and wear women's fragrances only when no-one else can smell them?
    No, I do wear them at home but also when out and about. The opinion of the general public isn't all that important to me. When spending time with the girlfriend or when at work I wear them less. Same goes for super sweet scents. I've just been told smells like candy, old lady, is this a woman's perfume? etc, too many times by girlfriends lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    I do not understand why it is such a problem? I know loads of women that wear more men's fragrance than women's fragrances because they like the smell better , but no one ever says anything about that .. But the second a man wants to wear a women's perfume , there is something wrong with him? This is 2013 and people should be able to wear whatever they want.. I feel perfume may be marketed to different genders and some notes may be considered feminine or masculine but overall that is because we have been conditioned to think like that.. Back in ancient times men use to wear rose and jasmine not just women.. I wear whatever I like, and a lot of women's perfume work perfect for me.. Why would I limit myself? If there is a fragrance that I like and want to experience , than I am going to wear it and not think twice.. As far as others smelling it on me, I do not really care what others think? I have worn a green floral like Gucci Envy for women and was told that my cologne smelled really fresh! Can you imagine that? If I'm going on a date with a girl, I might just choose a more masculine fragrance but at the end of the day I am not going to let labeling ruin my experience of perfumery..
    In my experience many people/women probably wouldn't mind if a male friend would wear a women's/very sweet perfume but wouldn't approve when it comes to their boyfriend. The reason being that they don't wish to have sex with their friend.

I've never encountered a woman wearing Quorum so I don't know if it would be off putting if one's girlfriend wore it.

I enjoy the fragrance no matter what. I use to be a traumatized by the labeling but I love Amouage Memoir Woman which I seem to pull off quite well. I will have no hesitation trying Malle's Potrait of a Lady or Carnel Flower in the upcoming months.

I find that an overly masculine fragrance feels out of place when I'm frolicking about in my pink tutu and 6 inch pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    I don't get it if you don't care, what people say : then why are you deciding to wear something more masculine on a date..is it maybe that you don't want date to be confused by you wearing and extremely floral women fragrance...you are contracting yourself, you say It doesn't matter but if it's a date with a girl I suppose I does matter, which one is it...just for a matter of clarity .....and no I'm not trolling just quoting you and mean no disrespect....peace
    Last edited by magnus611; 12th December 2013 at 05:06 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Junkie

I personall would not feel comfortable wearing womens perfume. It smells very nice though on my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I find that an overly masculine fragrance feels out of place when I'm frolicking about in my pink tutu and 6 inch pumps.
    Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    I personall would not feel comfortable wearing womens perfume. It smells very nice though on my wife.
    Fine. Wear what you are comfortable with; but do not criticise those who disagree with you, and let them wear what they enjoy.

Welcome to Basenotes! Fragrance - like fashion - is a way for each person to express their individuality, so I say wear what ever you want and allow others to do the same without concern about what the label on the bottle says. Enjoy!

Basenotes Plus

A Hippo in a Pink Tutu and 6 inch pumps. Mmmm, can't even imagine this, but would love to see a picture.

Prove it Jive

Modern man= perfect skin, guy liner, and a wardrobe of wonderful and varied fragrances.

A beautiful library helps as well.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Grow up.
    Go away.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    A Hippo in a Pink Tutu and 6 inch pumps. Mmmm, can't even imagine this, but would love to see a picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Prove it Jive
    I'm wearing Chanel no 5 in this pic.
    image.jpg

Basenotes Plus

True.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Modern man= perfect skin, guy liner, and a wardrobe of wonderful and varied fragrances.

A beautiful library helps as well.
    Thank you. This is a perfect demonstration of why there is really no answer. Guys need to wear what works for them and the people in their lives. It's your life - don't wear somebody else's fragrance.

My wife vastly prefers that I wear no.5 Eau Première, than Antaeus. Even Égoïste, too heavy, bothers her. Generally speaking, she hates macho fragrances on me. Bleu de Chanel and Aventus are about the limit. She despises Kouros. I have to wear Big K, like my "Cabela's wear", when she's gone.

I'm wearing Chanel no 5 in this pic.
    image.jpg
    Because of course all it takes to turn the most macho of men into a screaming nellie is a little spritz of Chanel 5. Amazing how powerful fragrance is, and amazing how thin the knife upon which a man's sexuality balances.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 13th December 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Yeah - and I bet if Angelina Jolie (or insert random current lady pin-up of choice) approached any of the guys previously lusting after her whilst wearing something (shock horror) not marketed to women they'd run as fast as their legs could carry them in the opposite direction.

Me, smell like wear it, smell not like, don't wear it.

Gender is only a six letter word in perfume
    DONNA

If the fragrance makes you feel good about you, then it doesn't matter on which side of the aisle it's marketed. Some women feel confident in Aramis; some men find nothing effeminate in wearing Coco Chanel. Fragrance has no innate gender.

Basenotes Plus

If you feel good about your own masculinity (however you wish to preform it), then there is no need to worry about how a marketing representative and even a perfumer gender a fragrance. That which is macho now was not viewed as masculine at other points in history. Most of what we construct as "masculine" is highly culturally based. For example, in some countries, heterosexual male friends hold hands, in others they do not. What is acceptable as "masculine" behavior shifts and changes over time. On this note, I think I am going to put on my wife's Stella and crank out 10 sets of thirty push ups. BOO YA...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jasman View Post
    If the fragrance makes you feel good about you, then it doesn't matter on which side of the aisle it's marketed. Some women feel confident in Aramis; some men find nothing effeminate in wearing Coco Chanel. Fragrance has no innate gender.
    This is the perfect point to interject about the last time a lady wore a "masculine" fragrance and I noticed. I noticed in a very good way. I can't be sure she wasn't layering it with something, but I don't think so. But it did smell a wee bit different to me - perhaps changed by the visuals of her dress (that's my theory on what many people ascribe to "men's and women's skin" making a difference). But all I can say is that it was really stunningly good. I know the fragrance - absolutely positive I've smelled it before - but could not name it, other than that it's one of woodier masculines. It didn't matter - the bottom line is that it was very attractive on her.

I just want to start by saying that I have a problem with the term Perfume for women and Cologne for men. Those two things talk about the concentration of the fragrance and shouldn't really differentiate the fragrance by gender. I get that it's the connotation now these days, but I have a feeling many people may be turned away by EdP's because of this belief.

On that note, I find that most women's fragrances are ok for men to wear. If you like it wear it. I do have to say that some fragrances which are very heavy on the floral's may stand out on men, but that's not necessary a bad thing.

I agree

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oh course the thought of women's perfume on a man is somewhat strange to the average joe considering perfume is supposed to smell girly. But going off the actual smell it isn't that strange. There are a lot of women's fragrances that fall into the unisex-masculine category (more so unisex). Many guys on here own and wear Guerlain's L'Art et la Matiere line which is meant for women but work perfectly fine on men.

I wear Prada Candy. If there's ever been a fragrance that's hardcore marketed towards women, it's that one. I love it. I've received compliments on it ~~ my ex-girlfriend (who, honestly, only owned a few fragrances and didn't delve deep into this hobby or passion) thought it was sexy and never questioned that it was actually a fragrance marketed towards women. The gender split in fragrances has always been beyond ridiculous.

I'm a hypocrite, or I've been a hypocrite in the past, as I've described scents as masculine or feminine, but it's subjective and it was only an opinion (example: I've described Aventus as being uber masculine and not feminine at all, but one of the reasons is because it evokes personal memories in my mind -- reminds me of riding to my late father's business that he owned when I was a kid, in the morning, and the fragrance just reminds me of that awesome time period in my life, and because it reminds me of my father, I associate it with absolute masculinity.)

I get tiresome calling fragrances 'cologne', but I do it to avoid having to explain things to the average person that's socially conditioned by marketing.

I had a friend over recently and he saw my box for LIDGE and he saw "parfum" and said, "Dude?! You wear perfume?!" Sigh. Yeah, the bottle clearly says "Pour Homme", meaning "for him", and just because it says "parfum", that's supposed to invoke feminine qualities in a bottle containing smelly water? Yeah, okay. And yes, I set him straight on the dealio as to the fact that it means the oil used in the fragrance.

Shaking my head.

Most houses are unisex and for good reason. I just don't think division should be made anymore. If you enjoy a scent you shouldn't dismiss it due to it's labeling just enjoy.

I use hermes amber narguille and I love it. I Always get compliments on it from women*. I guess they never expect such a seductive sexy fragrance coming from a guy

Rive gauche, Jean Nate, Tabu a few of my favorites. And theres Avon. Seduction Imari by Avon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I suggest you ditch this friend and I'm not even kidding. Chances are he doesn't much like you and just waiting for his opportunity to bring you down. Find more supportive and non-judgemental friends.

I wore Rose and Jasmine (which are my favorites) on innumerable times and not a single female on my work place (there are hundreds) objected on that. Neither my male colleagues have objected that why I wore Rose and Jasmine. For God sake please come out of this marketing gimmick and the circle created around us by these companies. Perfumes have been used from time immemorial but there was no gender differentiation ever... Then why now? Do wear whatever you like... Believe me nobody bothers whatever you are wearing as for as it is smelling good... Peace