Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 121 to 131 of 131
  1. #121

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleCooper View Post
    .


    P.S I wear a lot of male marketed fragrance and it's doesn't stop the creepy guy at work making gross innuendo so I guess it doesn't completely confuse and befuddle people as to your sexuality or gender. More's the pity...
    Absolutely. I'm 6'3 and when I'm in heels I tower over the vast majority of people in a venue, yet wearing Givenchy Gentleman, or Terre d'Hermes, or Sagamore, or whatever else officially sold for men has never stopped the blokes with the propositions.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

  2. #122

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I'm not under any pressure to prove anything either. Sorry folks, all the entreaties and arguments in the world won't wrestle my limbic system into submission; those synaptic pathways were set years ago and are unlikely to change now.
    There's no point getting one's unisex briefs into a tangle over it.
    Nobody's suggesting that you're wrong, just that your idea of masculine and feminine may differ hugely from mine, or someone else's, and therefore there's no point in dictating that my definitions of what is appropriate for men and what for women is correct and yours is incorrect (or vice versa).

    If you like it and you're not clearing rooms with your perfume then what's the problem?
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

  3. #123

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    Nobody's suggesting that you're wrong, just that your idea of masculine and feminine may differ hugely from mine, or someone else's, and therefore there's no point in dictating that my definitions of what is appropriate for men and what for women is correct and yours is incorrect (or vice versa).

    If you like it and you're not clearing rooms with your perfume then what's the problem?
    The only problem is the insinuation that those of us who attend to gender distinctions in perfume need to evolve/experiment/open our minds and ascend to the higher plain of unisexdom. You must have been reading a different thread (and forum, for this horse has been flogged a few times) to me if you haven't seen these views expressed. I don't care if you want to wear Quorum or a man wants to wear Shalimar (I don't like them whoever wears them, man, woman, or orc). Some people do seem bothered that others aren't willing to cross these boundaries, or feel uncomfortable when they do, as if that is a personal failing which should be rectified, and if only the power of thought and logic were applied, we could all free ourselves of our shackles. Well, it doesn't work that way. Logic does not dictate taste in fragrance, any more than it does food preferences or sexual peccadilloes.

    I doubt many of the men who state the trendy genderless view, would, for example, go to work in a dress, do their hair in ponytails, or wear lipstick, so they probably do obey gender distinctions to some extent and there is a degree of hypocrisy in their denials. I expressly stated 'each to his own'. My 'own' is not to wear big blowsy aldehydic florals. What's the problem with that?

  4. #124

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Ignore gender marketing - just enjoy fragrance.
    Agreed, the only 'perfume' I like and sometimes wear round the house is called khulsoom by Shirley may

  5. #125

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    The only problem is the insinuation that those of us who attend to gender distinctions in perfume need to evolve/experiment/open our minds and ascend to the higher plain of unisexdom. You must have been reading a different thread (and forum, for this horse has been flogged a few times) to me if you haven't seen these views expressed. I don't care if you want to wear Quorum or a man wants to wear Shalimar (I don't like them whoever wears them, man, woman, or orc). Some people do seem bothered that others aren't willing to cross these boundaries, or feel uncomfortable when they do, as if that is a personal failing which should be rectified, and if only the power of thought and logic were applied, we could all free ourselves of our shackles. Well, it doesn't work that way. Logic does not dictate taste in fragrance, any more than it does food preferences or sexual peccadilloes.

    I doubt many of the men who state the trendy genderless view, would, for example, go to work in a dress, do their hair in ponytails, or wear lipstick, so they probably do obey gender distinctions to some extent and there is a degree of hypocrisy in their denials. I expressly stated 'each to his own'. My 'own' is not to wear big blowsy aldehydic florals. What's the problem with that?
    You make a sound argument no man would wear a dress or lipstick simply cause they like them, unless there a cross dresser that is in which case and hope none of you are! Women's perfume are more feminine and tend to be more 'girly' than male fragrances but as I stated earlier there may be one or two which a male simply likes cause of its smell. For example I adore Ralph Lauren notorious but I don't wear it I've bought it for two of my ex girl friends though on purpose to smell is on them. With khulsoom however I feel the fragrance is more unisex than feminine

  6. #126

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveCologne89 View Post
    You make a sound argument no man would wear a dress or lipstick simply cause they like them, unless there a cross dresser that is in which case and hope none of you are! Women's perfume are more feminine and tend to be more 'girly' than male fragrances but as I stated earlier there may be one or two which a male simply likes cause of its smell. For example I adore Ralph Lauren notorious but I don't wear it I've bought it for two of my ex girl friends though on purpose to smell is on them. With khulsoom however I feel the fragrance is more unisex than feminine
    Hey I have nothing against cross-dressing, I tried it briefly in the late1980s but I was too ham-fisted with the lippy and ended up looking like a clown, so I thought I'd best leave it to others more skill. I wouldn't like it though if anyone suggested I am inadequate in some way for feeling uncomfortable about wearing a dress. I am quite content to leave the gender-bending to those who are good at it:


  7. #127
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,283

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveCologne89 View Post
    You make a sound argument no man would wear a dress or lipstick simply cause they like them, unless there a cross dresser that is in which case and hope none of you are! Women's perfume are more feminine and tend to be more 'girly' than male fragrances but as I stated earlier there may be one or two which a male simply likes cause of its smell. For example I adore Ralph Lauren notorious but I don't wear it I've bought it for two of my ex girl friends though on purpose to smell is on them. With khulsoom however I feel the fragrance is more unisex than feminine
    Since we do not tolerate derogatory comments about other peoples' lifestyles here, one of us is having a break.

    I'll wear anything that I'm comfortable wearing but totally agree that this is just my own personal choice.
    Last edited by lpp; 26th April 2014 at 09:29 PM.

  8. #128

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveCologne89 View Post
    You make a sound argument no man would wear a dress or lipstick simply cause they like them, unless there a cross dresser that is in which case and hope none of you are! Women's perfume are more feminine and tend to be more 'girly' than male fragrances but as I stated earlier there may be one or two which a male simply likes cause of its smell. For example I adore Ralph Lauren notorious but I don't wear it I've bought it for two of my ex girl friends though on purpose to smell is on them. With khulsoom however I feel the fragrance is more unisex than feminine
    Please define.

  9. #129

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    <snippy>
    My 'own' is not to wear big blowsy aldehydic florals. What's the problem with that?
    None at all. If I had a problem with you choosing not to wear them then I'd have to address my own dislike for them too
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

  10. #130

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    None at all. If I had a problem with you choosing not to wear them then I'd have to address my own dislike for them too

  11. #131

    Default Re: Men use women's perfume

    It's an old theme but to the ones moaning that this has been discussed to death; I think it's interesting to bring it up every now and then to get the input of newer members.

    I like scents with citrus/orange or incense, I will wear a fragrance that highlight those notes and I don't care what side of the aisle it came from. I have many women's fragrance in my wardrobe, most of them are "vintage light" meaning from the 1980s & 90s. They are not for everyday wear, but they are for reference and for my own scent education.

    In The Guide, there is a story about the authors smelling something blind and declaring it disgusting, but when they find out it's a men's fragrance, they say, Oh well! Then it's quite alright, for a men's fragrance. It says something about the low (and lowered) expectations for men's fragrances.

    To the ones not comfortable about crossing the gender lines in the shop. Those lines are being moved anyway! There are many of the recent men's launches that are sweet and fruity concoctions and just a dash of rose or jasmine away from being a full blown woman's scent.

    The trend I worry about is the infantilisation of scents for both men and women. I don't care what gender is assigned to a fragrance but I refuse to smell like a lollipop. Why are so many mass marked and designer fragrances geared to making us smell like ice cream flavors for pre-teens?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Similar Threads

  1. Perfume for women, fragrance for men?
    By Fragmeister in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10th February 2013, 12:25 AM
  2. I know why many men's and women's perfume smell the same.
    By Pollux in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16th May 2011, 04:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000