Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances and the cold

Cant seem to find the info pertaining to cold temperatures. I am well aware that direct sunlight and heat are both hamful to fragrances, but what about freezing cold?*
    I occasionally leave stuff in the car for prolonged periods of time and it gets down to freezing temps at night. I also know that the alcohol element will be fine, what about the parfum element?

Default Re: Fragrances and the cold

I've left quite a few fragrances in the car in the winter, and so far I haven't had any problems. Good question though.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 11th December 2013 at 06:02 PM.

I remember reading something about changes in temperatures hurting frags over the long run, but don't remember the specifics. In any case, that's only if one wants to keep the perfume for decades, no problem if you're using it within a year or two.

(The osmotheque keeps their frags at a constant 12C - I assume this must be some type of optimal temperature).

cacio

Banned
    Blog Entries

I left Issey Miyake in the car for week straight in below freezing temps a few years ago..
    It's still fine..
    I guess because of the alcohol content it does not freeze..

No extremes of any sort are beneficial to fragrances, but a short time in very cold temperatures should be fine.
    (1460)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

I think that extreme cold is potentially dangerous for mechanical reasons, like frozen pipes, or shrunken seals. Otherwise, cold per se is fine. Heat is an enemy, light more so, and oxygen the most.

Also, consider this. My wife uses some L'Instant de Guerlain EDT in a crystal perfume bottle as "shelf candy", exposed to ambient light and more oxygen than most fragrances, for something like 5 years. The color has deepened considerably. The fragrance is still absolutely awesome.

This means Fresher Juice for you Literally: for when you spray it on your skin you will find out what a fresh burst of cold freshness is all about and what it means and how it feels, you'll definitely will be up on your saddle....Giddy Up....lol....Enjoy. Cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 12th December 2013 at 02:33 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "