Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Comme Des Garcons Monocle Scent 03 - Sugi: A GEM!

Antoine Maisondieu at his best. It's absolutely incredible how little elements it takes to create something special when you have a solid concept and an incredible artistic direction. Sugi is minimalism at its best as opposed to the plethora of simplistic pranks we are too often asked to buy as minimalistic and modern forms of *art*.

Sugi is an entire composition based around the most fascinating synergies amongst otherwise pretty common notes. What comes out is something unique, novel and totally plausible at the same time. Something that doesn't need to try so hard to be unique. Something that is refreshing for its natural simplicity. No make up, no gimmick, no special effects and no hype.

The fragrance opens with freezing dark green notes (cypress) paired to pepper. The pepper here is not of the most usual quality but, instead, it verges towards the aromatic spiciness of Long Pepper which is a lot hotter than the more common Piper Nigurm. The opening is quite something for anyone into CDG's quirkiness as the pairing of these two notes, give birth to something extremely novel. Sharp, freezing and nose tingling. A rooty orris note breaks in right away and together with vetiver and smooth woody notes, start fascinating synergies between all the elements that strike for being both gentle and sophisticated as well as abstract, futuristic and rough-ish. There's an overall earthiness going on that brings to mind of wet concrete as well as an outdoorsy vibe that feels both naturalistic and industrial at the same time. Sort of a futuristic urban agglomeration surrounded by a forest. The fragrance is simple yet anything but simplistic. A gem of minimalism from people who know their stuff.

Longevity is extremely good (yes) while projection is a bit tricky. Definitely not a projection monster but sort of like you think it's gone and then BAM.

One of my favorite fragrances of 2013 and the best in the Monocle Series.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Comme Des Garcons Monocle Scent 03 - Sugi: A GEM!

I still have not sampled this or the (Blue) series..
    Too much new stuff-this is overwhelming

Sound Scents

I have a sample of this one at home that arrived this week but have only sniffed it on paper as yet. I liked what I sniffed initially, but on paper it quickly faded. Hopefully on skin it fares better... I hope to try it this weekend and find out.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Why do you have to do this to me alfarom? Your reviews entice me every time...This one sounded awesome before I read your review, now I might have to blow my money and just pick up a bottle.

Have recently tried this also and it's very nice indeed.
    (1480)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Wow! and I probably wouldn't have given this a second thought with so many targets to try. That review was very interesting as I really like this house and it's originality so I have penciled in another potential target.

Sounds fantastic. Wikipedia tells me that 'Sugi' is also known as Japanese cedar. as a lover of cedar I will be giving this a try! Also Hinoki is a Japanese cypress. Seems like the good people at CDG are gradually rolling out a very interesting collaborative effort along with Monocole.

I like it a lot and would prefer it over Hinoki (which isn't actually that close but somehow shares the vibe) but it really fades out way too fast to be bottle worthy for me. Is it just me or is there a very interesting leather note peeking through sometimes?
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 12th December 2013 at 04:54 PM.

It's actually pretty funny how several people find this fragrance to have tenacious lasting power while, at the same time, a lot of others claim this is pretty volatile. I start to believe anosmia to some ingredient(s) might play a relevant role here because while it isn't a sillage monster, this stuff is pretty long lasting on me (8+ hours). On a side note, I've seen also someone else mentioning how tricky this fragrance is. You think it's gone but then, unexpectedly, it blooms again. Anyway, as a general note, CDG is not something to check out for super-longevity and/or mega silage. In fact, most of their stuff is all about restraint.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    It's actually pretty funny how several people find this fragrance to have tenacious lasting power while, at the same time, a lot of others claim this is pretty volatile. I start to believe anosmia to some ingredient(s) might play a relevant role here because while it isn't a sillage monster, this stuff is pretty long lasting on me (8+ hours).
    Yes, I noticed that too but I have no idea what ingredient other than certain musks it could be in my case.

I sampled last week. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I knew I could have counted on you

I'd like to sample this one I think. It may be too minimal for me however, idk.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

It's actually pretty funny how several people find this fragrance to have tenacious lasting power while, at the same time, a lot of others claim this is pretty volatile.
    I can see how this could happen. Apart from anosmia, when I tested it, it went through 2 distinct stages where I thought the fragrance had died out, but it was just that initial fresh cypress phase running out before it moved into a long lasting iris scent. In fact it seemed to blossom again and be even more radiant than when I initially applied it.

Here's my brief impression from another thread

Bright, fresh, unisex. Wonderful bright cypress opening with a touch of camphor to it, but nothing like the big hit from Hinoki. Dries down to a bright cypress and iris. I thought that was the end and that the scent was very short lived, but when I got home it had blossomed again with the iris, cedar and vetiver becoming beautifully radiant.
    While I walked around I thought it was one that I liked, but didn't really need to get a FB, but I think I am going to end up with a bottle sooner rather than later. Just out of interest I tried Hinoki beside it, and it makes Hinoki seem like quite a dark, potent beast. I think Sugi is far more accessible. How many woody scents can CdG make me buy...
    While it feels quite minimalist, I think there is really a surprising amount going on in this scent and I enjoyed it, even though I'd be happy wearing just sugi essential oil.

As far as a leather note goes, I find orris root/iris often reads as a clean leather to my nose. Somewhat soapy/leathery in some cases.
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 13th December 2013 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    As far as a leather note goes, I find orris root/iris often reads as a clean leather to my nose. Somewhat soapy/leathery in some cases.
    It totally makes sense!

Hmmmmmm tempting me to get a sample of this. I read your review on carbon and automatically went for it as i found Nu-be to be quite an intriguing new house. Only problem was that carbon initially gave me that smell of an indian fellow in the heat sweating profusely after having eaten a curry.. (most likely the combination of sandalwood and cardamom) wasn't altogether pleasant lol. But theeeeeen i gave it a few more tries and it turned out to be a lovely warm smell that made me feel relaxed and calm.

So if you gave carbon 7.5 then i'll probably have to give this one a go,

Try it before you buy. This is COMPLETELY different from Carbon. The Nu_Be is a perfect warm spicy fragrance with no particular twists. Incredible balance, amazing execution, endless wearability. Sugi is more *novel* (sorry the lack of better words). Sort of colder, smooth but for certain aspects also angular...two completely different ballparks, IMO.

Aye the notes are totally different so will be a different vibe. But i'm still interested in giving this one a go. I like fragrances that aren't muddled with a myriad of notes.

Good luck! Looking forward to your thoughts...

It smells just like cryptomeria (sugi). Reminds me of my days doing tree work.

Sound Scents

Having worn Sugi on skin a couple times now, here is my take (I would post in the review section but alas, yet again we have another missing fragrance in the directory)...

Sugi

Sugi opens with a turpentine-like coniferous pine and cypress wood tandem. As the composition reaches its early heart the coniferous elements recede as a black pepper-laced natural cedar emerges seemingly out of nowhere to star through the entire mid-section with the remnants of the open as barely noticeable support. During the late dry-down the pepper-laced cedar remains in a supporting role as slightly sharp, somewhat lemony vetiver takes the fore through the remainder of the composition's lifespan. Projection is below average and longevity is slightly below average at 6-7 hours on skin.

Sugi's turpentine-like pine and cypress open is definitely an acquired taste. It comes on all at once and may scare away folks seeking a "crowd-pleaser" early, though its off-beat unexpected start is very much in-line with the quirky Comme des Garcons house style. The unexpected piecing open quickly fades over a twenty minute span with the fragrance seemingly completely dying. Out of nowhere, it rises from the ashes with a gorgeous peppery cedar that takes over and dominates the vast majority of development before sharing the spotlight with nicely done vetiver that meshes with the pepper and cedar seamlessly. My guess is that those not scared off by its first 20 minutes will be very happy with the latter rewards on offer, and this reviewer is no exception. A minor gripe with Sugi that merits at least a mention is less to do with its fragrance profile and more-so its somewhat below par performance characteristics, particularly in the longevity department. The bottom line is the $120 per 50ml bottle Sugi is a bit tough to enjoy early, but it gets really good real fast, earning a "very good" 3.5 stars out of 5 and a solid recommendation (especially to fans of the house).
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

With this rave from Alfarom - whose taste is always the best - and drseid's hard to attain rating of "very good" 3.5 out of 5 stars - I may have to blind buy this bottle. Hinoki is a favorite. Laurel was good, not great. Sugi sounds very good indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Having worn Sugi on skin a couple times now, here is my take (I would post in the review section but alas, yet again we have another missing fragrance in the directory)...

Sugi

Sugi opens with a turpentine-like coniferous pine and cypress wood tandem. As the composition reaches its early heart the coniferous elements recede as a black pepper-laced natural cedar emerges seemingly out of nowhere to star through the entire mid-section with the remnants of the open as barely noticeable support. During the late dry-down the pepper-laced cedar remains in a supporting role as slightly sharp, somewhat lemony vetiver takes the fore through the remainder of the composition's lifespan. Projection is below average and longevity is slightly below average at 6-7 hours on skin.

Sugi's turpentine-like pine and cypress open is definitely an acquired taste. It comes on all at once and may scare away folks seeking a "crowd-pleaser" early, though its off-beat unexpected start is very much in-line with the quirky Comme des Garcons house style. The unexpected piecing open quickly fades over a twenty minute span with the fragrance seemingly completely dying. Out of nowhere, it rises from the ashes with a gorgeous peppery cedar that takes over and dominates the vast majority of development before sharing the spotlight with nicely done vetiver that meshes with the pepper and cedar seamlessly. My guess is that those not scared off by its first 20 minutes will be very happy with the latter rewards on offer, and this reviewer is no exception. A minor gripe with Sugi that merits at least a mention is less to do with its fragrance profile and more-so its somewhat below par performance characteristics, particularly in the longevity department. The bottom line is the $120 per 50ml bottle Sugi is a bit tough to enjoy early, but it gets really good real fast, earning a "very good" 3.5 stars out of 5 and a solid recommendation (especially to fans of the house).
    Fantastic review David but I was genuinely wondering, no orris at all???

Sound Scents

Fantastic review David but I was genuinely wondering, no orris at all???
    Nothing detectable on my skin....
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Good review, drseid! Sugi does that "ressurrection" trick on me too but personally I much prefer it in it's initial incarnation and the second one is also pretty weak projecting. Sugi develops very peculiarly and I'm not sure I can accept that split personality as a CdG or avantgarde feature - I'm leaning more towards "unfortunate composition". Sugi suffers from schizophrenia which is by no means depreciating any of it's personalities - that just comes down to personal preferences. However, they are different enought to like one and not like the other - that's tricky.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 15th December 2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Nothing detectable on my skin....
    That's interesting. On my skin, after the initial blast, there's a pretty remarkable orris note bonded with both pepper and a grapefruit/pomelo accord.

Here's my take. Be warned, there are carrots.

A highly unique and original scent that doesn’t rely on an overly extravagant composition or any gimmickry—it fact, the ugly-ass bottle even undermines the possibility of smoke and mirrors, leaving the fragrance itself to do all of the talking.

Out of the gate, it smells crisp, refreshing, and more than a little like a carrot juice smoothie. This comes from the combination of peppery notes merged with the slightly bitter facets of cypress. It’s sharp and spicy, but keeps from becoming an overly culinary affair—it stays very natural and plant-like. I don’t get much iris personally, and I’d assume that it’s there for structure and smoothing of the more jagged notes—of which there are a few. Last, it drifts into a fairly sharp vetiver scent—not unlike Encre Noire, but not quite as dark or gritty. And that’s about all it does.

But it does this very well indeed, and stands out from other coniferous scents through nuance. Whereas with other CdG scents in which you often get a playful side-by-side merging of something industrial against something natural, the impression here is less of a merger and more of a study—as if a natural object were placed onto a disinfected surface, fluorescent lights serving to amplify the natural facets even more. The sense of something artificial is present, but is never insincere.

This challenges genre expectations; it’s a scent that’s “safe” and “accessible” for a wide reception, yet it’s interesting enough for a more discriminating nose to enjoy as well. In that sense, it’s a success.
    Last edited by deadidol; 16th December 2013 at 06:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Why do you have to do this to me alfarom? Your reviews entice me every time...This one sounded awesome before I read your review, now I might have to blow my money and just pick up a bottle.
    LMAO!

Yeah. Me too. Better than Hinoki? Damn. Gonna have to git me some smell action on this one!

Blog Entries

It's actually pretty funny how several people find this fragrance to have tenacious lasting power while, at the same time, a lot of others claim this is pretty volatile. I start to believe anosmia to some ingredient(s) might play a relevant role here because while it isn't a sillage monster, this stuff is pretty long lasting on me (8+ hours). On a side note, I've seen also someone else mentioning how tricky this fragrance is. You think it's gone but then, unexpectedly, it blooms again. Anyway, as a general note, CDG is not something to check out for super-longevity and/or mega silage. In fact, most of their stuff is all about restraint.
    That's my guess, too - a large molecule in the musk / amber / resin / woody amber range.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Yes, I noticed that too but I have no idea what ingredient other than certain musks it could be in my case.
    If the woody note depends on a woody amber, that could be it. I find some of them unpredictable, and that others almost have to be "learned" to be detected at low concentrations.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    The kiss of wallet death.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    That's my guess, too - a large molecule in the musk / amber / resin / woody amber range.
    I didn't get any of the usual large molecule culprits from it though -- if they've got something in here that's doing that, they've hidden it quite well.

Someone above mentioned a leathery note, and there's a pyrolone aspect to it that can come off as leathery, but I think it's just the pepper / coniferous opening that creates that semi-bitter effect.

Since I've only tested it once, my impression was that it was at typical CdG levels of longevity. Owning Hinoki, the opening felt really clean and safe for me, and in fact that is my favourite part of the development. Luckily it seems to hang around for an hour or two on me. I don't dislike the next stage, but it doesn't wow me as much as the early stages, but I love those coniferous smells.

The iris is very noticeable for me, but by coincidence I seem to be sampling through a number of scents featuring iris, and because it isn't a note I'd had much experience with (except for a small sample of Iris SIlver Mist), my nose seems to have tuned into it recently and I'm surprised how often I smell it.

Better than Hinoki? Despite having similarities I couldn't say which is better, or even which one I prefer. Sugi is definitely an easier wear, but I now need to get a bottle and really give it a serious test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Here's my take. Be warned, there are carrots.

A highly unique and original scent that doesn’t rely on an overly extravagant composition or any gimmickry—it fact, the ugly-ass bottle even undermines the possibility of smoke and mirrors, leaving the fragrance itself to do all of the talking.

Out of the gate, it smells crisp, refreshing, and more than a little like a carrot juice smoothie. This comes from the combination of peppery notes merged with the slightly bitter facets of cypress. It’s sharp and spicy, but keeps from becoming an overly culinary affair—it stays very natural and plant-like. I don’t get much iris personally, and I’d assume that it’s there for structure and smoothing of the more jagged notes—of which there are a few. Last, it drifts into a fairly sharp vetiver scent—not unlike Encre Noire, but not quite as dark or gritty. And that’s about all it does.

But it does this very well indeed, and stands out from other coniferous scents through nuance. Whereas with other CdG scents in which you often get a playful side-by-side merging of something industrial against something natural, the impression here is less of a merger and more of a study—as if a natural object were placed onto a disinfected surface, fluorescent lights serving to amplify the natural facets even more. The sense of something artificial is present, but is never insincere.

This challenges genre expectations; it’s a scent that’s “safe” and “accessible” for a wide reception, yet it’s interesting enough for a more discriminating nose to enjoy as well. In that sense, it’s a success.
    Carrot juice smoothie. I'm wondering if they used carrot seeds (among other things) to achieve the orris accord. To me it doesn't smell like carrots but I can totally see that in the context of some orris-related facets and the bizarre synergies between ingredients I mentioned in my reviews.

The kiss of wallet death.
    *LOL*

------------------

Anyway, as Darjeelinng said in another thread, I'm seriously wondering how many woody fragrances CDG will make us buy

As a further side note, I was thinkin about how puzzling is that Sugi smells pretty different to everyone. I think this says quite A LOT on how novel it is.

Basenotes Institution

I bought a bottle in LA a couple weeks ago when I was @ Scent Bar.

Best Comme des Garcons I've smelled in quite a while. Intense green, but presented in a different & unique way. I don't really see this as a winter scent, so I'm waiting to use mine in Spring/Summer.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

A sample is on the way!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I bought a bottle in LA a couple weeks ago when I was @ Scent Bar.

Best Comme des Garcons I've smelled in quite a while. Intense green, but presented in a different & unique way. I don't really see this as a winter scent, so I'm waiting to use mine in Spring/Summer.
    Glad you liked it Mike!

Guys, you are about to tempt me to blind purchase this. It was Mike who turned me on to Hinoki, which is a love for me. Sugi will no doubt please!

Basenotes Institution

Does anyone else smell ginger or something like ginger in this? It's not a listed not but I remember the SA at Scent Bar mentioning it and now when I smell it, my mind instantly thinks 'ginger!'
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Does anyone else smell ginger or something like ginger in this? It's not a listed not but I remember the SA at Scent Bar mentioning it and now when I smell it, my mind instantly thinks 'ginger!'
    I actually get more of a fizzy citrusy thing that reminds me of either pomelo or grapefruit.

Okay, I have this on my skin. It didn't take long for me to draw some sort of connection. This has a very similar vibe to Molecule 01. I know, there isn't any Iso E Super in Sugi. However, the aroma so distinctively similar. Anyone else get this? I will say that Sugi is less sweet between the two and even though I'd feel like I had two similar scents, I feel that Sugi is superior and worth the order. Having said this, I don't detect individual notes as standouts. The pine is so far underneath that it only lends a bracing facet to the composition. The pine is blended well with the cyprus and vetiver. This and Hinoki is no doubt (along with Kyoto), the best in the house, IMO.

Now that the critique is out of the way, what a gem is really is. This is so far unique and ahead of other woody compositions that I can think of. Like Hinoki, it feels so natural and ethereal; too perfect for this world. In essence, it is Heavenly!

I do not get ginger out of this but I can see where someone might draw that conclusion.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 19th January 2014 at 03:32 AM.

Molecule 01? Too perfect for this world? Heavenly? The best in the house? Wow, can't wait for the sample on its way.

Wow, my opinion has changed in one day. I still feel positive about it, but for what this is, I prefer M01. As far as within the house, I still prefer Hinoki over this. Sugi is becoming annoying to me. Its a bit too sweet at times. More testing for me is needed.

Basenotes Institution

Yeah it's definitely not as stridently woody as M01, that's for sure.

The sweetness that you mention surprises me, I don't really smell 'sweet' in Sugi.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I don't get sweet either. Mainly carrots

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Any idea where one could get a sample of Sugi? LuckyScent does not have any...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are they out of stock? I tried it at Scent Bar, but I know they did blow through their stock quite fast when it first came out.

Basenotes Plus

So funny... I checked early AM and they had bottles but no samples. Just checked now and samples are back. Awesome. Gonna order a bunch of samples today, Sugi was on my list.

Basenotes Plus

Any idea where one could get a sample of Sugi? LuckyScent does not have any...

They show it in stock with samples available. You may want to check again.

Sugi

Blog Entries

So funny... I checked early AM and they had bottles but no samples. Just checked now and samples are back. Awesome. Gonna order a bunch of samples today, Sugi was on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    They show it in stock with samples available. You may want to check again.

Sugi
    Good.

I'm going to behave on this one. Sample first. Then BUY.

Basenotes Plus

I'm going to behave on this one. Sample first. Then BUY.
    Well if you put it that way, it sounds like you are going to BUY anyway... so why sample at all?

Just kidding. I have some 16 things on my sample list. If it was just one or two bottles I'd blind buy them, but don't want to blind buy 16 full size bottles. ;-)

Blog Entries

Well if you put it that way, it sounds like you are going to BUY anyway... so why sample at all?

Just kidding. I have some 16 things on my sample list. If it was just one or two bottles I'd blind buy them, but don't want to blind buy 16 full size bottles. ;-)
    LOL. Yeah, I'm actually going to sample a bunch of CdGs that I've failed to sniff - there is always the possibility that one of them may beat out Sugi. But Hinoki was a very good buy for me, and Laurel came within inches of getting bought, so I figure this one is going to end up in my wardrobe at some point! Wife is probably going to like Sugi, too. But I'll be good and do things right. This time.

Basenotes Plus

I'm trying to be more like you, Redneck... ;-) In the sense of not just blindly buying everything new and shiny. LOL. I have couple CdG bottles, blind bought a long time ago (2MAN and Wonderwood) and love both, but somehow I, too, failed to try the rest of their releases. Time to squash that and try more of their creations. 14 of the 16 samples I'm ordering are CdG...

Blog Entries

14 of the 16 samples I'm ordering are CdG...
    Good man! You're going to be discussing fragrance with alfarom until summer gets here!

Seriously, it will be great to hear your impressions. I got all 3 of the "Blue Invasion" series - hope those made it into your 14 CdG!!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I don't get sweet either. Mainly carrots
    Yes, love that part. Carrot-y iris notes are my favorite kind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Good man! You're going to be discussing fragrance with alfarom until summer gets here!
    Summer, winter, seasons don't mean much where I live. It's been 84 degrees here today. Haven't stopper wearing shorts and t-shirts yet. Summers are a little warmer... 115-125 on an average day. But yes, I know, alfarom looooooves CdG so I'm sure we'll exchange some notes on my findings. ;-)

Seriously, it will be great to hear your impressions. I got all 3 of the "Blue Invasion" series - hope those made it into your 14 CdG!!!
    Oh yes, absolutely! They all sound right up my alley, it's just a matter of figuring out whether they are all FBW... or just one. It was alfarom who steered me towards Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme and I have to say I love this fragrance (discontinued, have managed to pick up two bottles on eBay), so I'm looking forward to something along the same lines in the Blue Invasion series. I also added Sequoia, Hinoki, Black, the entire incense series, and couple oddball ones they make.

I have a sample vial but have not tested it yet..just did a quick sniff test when my package came but I had so much olfactory fatigue from smellin]g over 30 scents from luckyscent and perfumed court that I cant remember with ay confidence what it was like.
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I still have not sampled this or the (Blue) series..
    Too much new stuff-this is overwhelming
    I tried the entire blue line

the only one I liked was the sandalwood fragrance(santal I think)...it was a clean bright sandalwood

the incence fragrance was so so and the cedar fragrance was generic
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    the cedar fragrance was generic
    Cedrat (citron), not cedar.

I was disappointed by the Blue series. Incense didn't work for me and the sandalwood was a scrubber
    The cedrat, for me, was OK and I enjoyed some aspects, but I agree that it falls on the generic/sport spectrum and the elements I enjoyed I'd much rather get from other scents so it wasn't FBW or even decant worthy.
    Hopefully others enjoy them more than I did.

Sugi is a must buy for me, although I limit my scent budget and I've just fallen in love with AMouage Epic Man and it is making a strong case for using the money I'd appointed for use for Sugi. A sugi purchase may come as the weather warms up a bit.
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 21st January 2014 at 03:37 PM.

I will sample this again today and try to figure why I felt it was sweet. At one point, bubble gum came to mind. I will admit to my sinuses being jacked up at the moment. The weather here keeps going from cold, to hot, to cold, to hot, and now back to cold lol. Definitely a stellar fragrance and I'll probably own it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    I tried the entire blue line

the only one I liked was the sandalwood fragrance(santal I think)...it was a clean bright sandalwood

the incence fragrance was so so and the cedar fragrance was generic
    I thought one was passable, and I think I was swayed into forgiveness by my general love of CdG, but I found these to be total duds. When aligned to similar scents, they stand out, but by CdG's standards, they offered nothing of interest for me. Sugi, on the other hand, is carrot-y goodness and totally unique.