Code of Conduct

Default nothing impresses me anymore

Maybe this could be as a result of my own personal life rather than anything else, but in terms of fragrances, fragrances rarely impress me. They mostly disappoint or give me a feeling of "oh, that's nice, but I wouldn't buy it". Some fragrances are really good, but seem to have that downside which hurts it. Maybe the longevity sucks, the drydown is bad, it's way too expensive or it's too feminine for my personal tastes.

Now more than ever, fragrances don't make me feel. They may not smell the same, but they feel the same.

I think it's just because I've expanded my tastes so much and have been astounded by fragrances so much that I'm numb. For example, when I first tried Green Irish Tweed, I was amazed. Now, it's the new baseline standard which is hard to match but still leaves me wanting for more.

Default Re: nothing impresses me anymore

I'm sure something will turn up soon that you are amazed at. Happens all the time.

Surely a good thing. Use and enjoy what you own and spend your money on other things.

Look at the margins, in the nooks and crannies. Perfumery is basically an industry that churns out 99% schlock for ignorant aspirational consumers. There's no art, creativity or soul to it, its megacorporations run by accountants who employ a 1:99 hit or miss strategy aiming for the lowest common denominator = maximum sales, or short-term brand distinction with no content to back it up. Every once in a while this system does spew out a winner (Bentley, apparently, is one). And there are a few lines with a modicum of artistic integrity - and the crevaces where genuine artistes live perfume-making. And there's always the vintage-time-machine. And taking pleasure in what you have. That's enough to keep one occupied. Ignore the rest.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Personally, fragrances haven't stopped amazing me yet .
    (1476)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

@The Good Life-you hit the nail on the head.

If you do search the "nooks & crannies" you might very well find a gem. At least something that will intrigue you. Looking to the past also works. Thats how I found Jicky. Consider a gander(and, hopefully, a sniff) of the following: Cale, O'Driu, Le Cherche Midi, Ortigia-Sicilia, Imaginary Authorsa and Cherchi Nell'acqua.

Just a thought.

Regards Rex
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

I haven't bought a fragrance for 2 months now -- go figure.

An interesting post, if rather saturnine

A sad state of affairs for such a new member - how can we help this poor soul?
    Should we each send him a sample of our best recent discoveries?

That's the main reason we get samples to discover and find those the wow you..it doesn't matter how expanded your nose is or how mighty you might think it is, it's about discovering and loving the ones you've discover with discretion to avoid boredom for we tend to over do things and lose appreciation easily, so do your self a favor when you do find a Gem to your appeal wear it on special days and pro-Long that love .

There are also many equations that come to play in this venture ...let's take for instance ... the reservoirs of your olfactory banks...I personally have attachements to few in my collection because of fond memories in the past or so .... This is suppose to be an enjoyable journey NOT BURDENSOME causing stress...Just keep sampling and go back in time of great times you enjoy with family, friends etc, and try to find frags that take you there: yes, I know the great ones are far and in between but you also have to expand your taste buds and not box yourself to a particular Note or so and you might enjoy this Journey/Trip more......
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I've been on Basenotes for a long while and was even previously on the BN Yahoo board plus, I had been interested in fragrances for 20 years prior to that. I hit a wall a few years ago and the only thing that interested me was pure oud oil. I just kept wanting deeper and more satisfying things and nothing worked at all except oud oil.

After a long, expensive foray into oud oils, I then started burning crazy expensive Japanese incense as well as oud wood/chips. I finally walked away for a while after that experience and ultimately came back about 6 months ago. I guess that was just at the point in my addiction disorder that required something different and ultimately, a time out if you will. Thankfully, I am again able to enjoy things with a different attitude and a more open mind. I wish that I could give you further insight into what happened but ultimately, sometimes you just need a change or some way to clear your mind.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Some are lethargic..
    IDK- Some people get into a particular house..
    Some sample every new release..
    Some just by notes..
    you gotta find out what works for you

You either have unreasonable & unrealistically high standards or, more likely the case , you're not in the mood indulge in luxuries these days.

I'm sure once you get your priorities in line you'll have an appetite for luxury again.

for swap/sale:

What have you been trying though? If Green Irish Tweed were a reference for me, I'd want to jump ship too,

I've been around the block with this stuff for some time, and I'm always taken aback by at least something. 90% of what's released commercially does nothing for me, but stuff like Montecristo, Zahd, Blackbird, Skarb, Lalfeogrigio have all surprised me recently. If you're sticking to the spoon-fed mediocrity of what's widely available, then I can understand it. But if you're digging, exploring your tastes, and seeking out the genuine ingenuity and innovation in the field -- and are still bored by what you find -- then it sounds like it's time to try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    "oh, that's nice, but I wouldn't buy it".
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling the way you feel. It has nothing to do with having unrealistic high standards, you like what you like, period. To buy a fragrance that you know you're not satisfied with thinking that you somehow will be is what is truly unrealistic, why settle. I've been into wearing fragrances from prepubescents, coming to BN I saw that others had large collections and I began to build a large collection, only to realize that was not what I wanted. What I indeed wanted was a collection of fragrances that I love to wear be it a large collection or a collection of 1, or none for that matter. I sample from 10-30 fragrances a month and 99.9% of the time I find out what fragrances I DON'T need in my collection. I'll only buy a FB of what I truly love, anything less would be uncivilized. Stay fragrant, my friend.
    Last edited by PEARL; 12th December 2013 at 07:08 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

I feel like I share your observation and feelings about new perfumes. I seem to be somewhat "stuck" in the same mindset as you. Then again, I'm between jobs and I can't really afford going all out on either samples or full bottles. At the same time, I have a pretty decent collection and own most of the perfumes I've found to be really good. Sure, some I could do without and will not rebuy, but at the same time the yardstick is set pretty damn high now. I tend to crave monster longevity and for some perfumes to outlive what I already have is a tough task. I did find Amouage Fate Man so good I just had to get a full bottle, though. Other than that I haven't really bought anything new for a couple of months. Sure, some trades here and there that I'm really enjoying, but nothing major in the purchasing department. Maybe a visit to London i early January will turn me around.

Now's a good time to do a fragrance-fast. Don't wear anything for a month. You'll appreciate things on a whole new level when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Now's a good time to do a fragrance-fast. Don't wear anything for a month. You'll appreciate things on a whole new level when you get back.
    tried it before. nothing

Have you ever thought of trying to make your own stuff, SereneGreen?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Should we each send him a sample of our best recent discoveries?
    Yes. Or just send them to me?. lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Have you ever thought of trying to make your own stuff, SereneGreen?
    That might just be the answer that sparks new interest!
    (1507)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That might just be the answer that sparks new interest!
    (1507)
    ha, yeah i have. being a great perfumer is something that takes A LOT of patience. i decided to best leave it to the professionals. but since i've tried, i've learned a whole new degree of respect for the people who do create perfumes.

I see you own Spicebomb, have you sniffed 1899 by HDP?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Maybe this could be as a result of my own personal life rather than anything else, but in terms of fragrances, fragrances rarely impress me. They mostly disappoint or give me a feeling of "oh, that's nice, but I wouldn't buy it". Some fragrances are really good, but seem to have that downside which hurts it. Maybe the longevity sucks, the drydown is bad, it's way too expensive or it's too feminine for my personal tastes.

Now more than ever, fragrances don't make me feel. They may not smell the same, but they feel the same.

I think it's just because I've expanded my tastes so much and have been astounded by fragrances so much that I'm numb. For example, when I first tried Green Irish Tweed, I was amazed. Now, it's the new baseline standard which is hard to match but still leaves me wanting for more.
    The next time you're at a perfume counter, try a whiff of Acqua di Parma's Colonia Intensa Oud Contree Cologne, if you haven't already. S.O. and I are actively testing men's perfumes and so far it's more exciting than all the rest, including Aventus, with Slumberhouse's Jeke a close second.

It's a numbers game.
    The more refined your taste the more frogs you have to kiss.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

Jean Klein

Smelling perfumes becomes tedious no matter how good they are. Fortunately there are other things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    It's a numbers game.
    The more refined your taste the more frogs you have to kiss.
    yeah and diminishing gains. once you've been impressed so much, it's much harder to be impressed.

for example, in phones for example. smartphones get all these features but nothing will be as revolutionary as when you first upgraded from an early-2000's cellphone to a smartphone

yeah and diminishing gains. once you've been impressed so much, it's much harder to be impressed.

for example, in phones for example. smartphones get all these features but nothing will be as revolutionary as when you first upgraded from an early-2000's cellphone to a smartphone
    Interesting state of mind you are in SereneGreen. With me i really need diversity of interests. There are always periods when i find a drought of good film, music and art. When i find myself feeling like that i always revert to the classics. Tolstoy and Plato always send you back to the present refreshed !
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Interesting state of mind you are in SereneGreen. With me i really need diversity of interests. There are always periods when i find a drought of good film, music and art. When i find myself feeling like that i always revert to the classics. Tolstoy and Plato always send you back to the present refreshed !
    Piggybacking on lpp's suggestion, this is why I make my own stuff. I can make a scent that is ugly, and I would still rather wear that since it at least has some of the qualities I like.

Being picky is OK. Most stuff is crap. I sample scores of perfumes before buying one, and scores before even finding something with a few qualities I like. If you know what you like and have it, then you will be drawn to the right one on occasion. That's as good as it gets.

Keep seeking alternative sources as well. I prefer perfumes with a higher percentage of naturals, as the reliably brilliant patterns of nature keep them from getting boring as frequently. Who gets tired of staring at sunsets, or a pretty girls' face?

Natural materials capitalize on a beauty that transcends our ability to understand it. It you transplant a plant species to different environs, it will extract a different array of nonetheless thematic chemicals from the new soil, acorrding to a transcendent pattern that is bigger than any particular "ingredient list". To me a perfume should express a relationship between humans and nature.

Just my opinion and taste. But I don't get bored, just rarely satisfied. And that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Smelling perfumes becomes tedious no matter how good they are. Fortunately there are other things to do.
    I feel better for not constantly looking for the next great thing. What's the point in never being satisfied ?
    As you say there are other things to do.

Edit * Drunk Youtube fragrance reviewing for one...
    Last edited by martinijo; 13th December 2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Had a eureka moment.

It's not that most fragrances are bad. It's that most fragrances that I try now would've been things that I would've CRAZED over a year ago. Now, they're just good. Last year, Burberry London, Mugler Cologne, 1 Million, and the Bond no 9 line AMAZED me. Now, they're just alright.

Creeds for example, AMAZED ME. But now they're just the bare minimum of what I would expect. Had I tried Musc Ravager a year ago instead of last week, I might have bought it instantaneously rather than say "eh, whatever".

Im close to being in the same boat as you are. I haven't smelled anything in the past month or two that I absolutely LOVED. Have you at least figured out what notes you enjoy the most?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoakpenn View Post
    Im close to being in the same boat as you are. I haven't smelled anything in the past month or two that I absolutely LOVED. Have you at least figured out what notes you enjoy the most?
    sandalwood

Wow! Thank goodness I'm not there yet. It seems to me and I have so much to try that my latest offering have been nothing more than stupendous. I hope you gain the attraction and the love again as I am presently experiencing. I really am looking forward to next yet and trying new houses.

U my friend need to try costume national scent intense.

Blog Entries

Chanel-Bois des Iles, Etro-Sandalo, also check LuckyScent for samples of Profumum, Mazzolari, Serge Lutens. You can select one note or type of frag (woods, for example) and get a slough of suggestions.

There's nothing wrong with going on hiatus. I did it for a year. It cleared my head.

It's not that most fragrances are bad. It's that most fragrances that I try now would've been things that I would've CRAZED over a year ago. Now, they're just good. Last year, Burberry London, Mugler Cologne, 1 Million, and the Bond no 9 line AMAZED me. Now, they're just alright.

Creeds for example, AMAZED ME. But now they're just the bare minimum of what I would expect. Had I tried Musc Ravager a year ago instead of last week, I might have bought it instantaneously rather than say "eh, whatever".
    Have you thought of trying drunk Youtube fragrance reviewing ?

[QUOTE=kumquat;3016163]Chanel-Bois des Iles, Etro-Sandalo, also check LuckyScent for samples of Profumum, Mazzolari, Serge Lutens. You can select one note or type of frag (woods, for example) and get a slough of suggestions.QUOTE]

This is some good advice here. What I was getting at is your interest in Sandalwood. Like Kumquat said, you can try Sandalwood done many different ways and see what happens. This may lead you to find another note of keen interest to you and from there you can explore that note and so on and so forth.

Another idea, slow down! Enjoy what you have right now. In your search for new scents, you may be trying hard to find something you love when what you really want is already on your shelf.

What about Heritage by Guerlain, have you tried that one? It's got that sandalwood.

I think u just need a break for a while, i promise u,
    u will come back roaring and u will be broke as never