Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are drunk reviews the future of the fragrance community?

Hey Guys:

I notice that several youtube reviewers have supposedly gotten drunk and then filmed a review of a fragrance, usually something that is on the negative end of the spectrum. They are usually quite entertaining and even informative, since the inebriation seems to bring out a very honest perspectiv. Now, my wife is not very supportive of alcohol and won't even let me have it in the house. I'm afraid that the future of my fragrance channel is in jeopardy and don't know what to do. I strive to be honest even as I stay sober, so hopefully, things will work out for the best. But what about the basenotes community? Do you want more youtube reviewers to tie one on and really tell you what we think?

Default Re: Are drunk reviews the future of the fragrance community?

I'd rather have the sober "spiel" any day.
    (1487)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't watch YouTube reviews, but I usually make sure I'm really wasted before I post anything on Basenotes.

In vino veritas. Can't see why not.

Well I think it's because once you've been into fragrances for a while it can become a little stagnant. Drunk reviews is like a new gimmick to keep people intrested.

Doesn't really matter to me.

You're supposed to wear the fragrance, not drink it.

Stupid is as stupid does.

"Sensationalism is the Order of the day in today's society and these folks have been injected and infected with it." You can quote ME on that one...<br>
    <br>
    I observed this also and detest this format, nevertheless these couple of reviewers are not bad at all: just plain foolish in their decision and not to my appeal ofcourse....next thing you know, it will in the buff reviews.....I personally don't need a review to be injected with these sort of gimmicks just give the facts with the works the include...the meat and potatoes that's all Sir......
    Last edited by magnus611; 12th December 2013 at 04:54 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Are we talking about this guy or are there others?

People really watch other people sniffing their arms and stumble around trying to remember the notes they looked up on Fragrantica? I can see reading reviews, but in the 15 minutes of watching "What's up YouTube!" and "This one is like... um... kinda lemony... and *sniff* *sniff* a little... uh... woody.... [looks down at notes]... *sniff* *sniff*... " (Compelling stuff for sure) - I could have read 5 thought out reviews.

Having only seen about 2-3 reviews ever on YouTube, I now think that maybe I wouldn't be able to tell if they were drunk or not... Maybe they were...

Listen, if you are any good, I wouldn't worry about your "competition"(?) being drunk. You should be glad they are - I'm sure it only makes yours look that much better. Unless they aren't -- in which case, you should hang it up if you can't do better than some drunk idiots. Or get a really hot chick to sit next to you next time. Or a drunk hot chick.
    Last edited by dougczar; 12th December 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    ..next thing you know, it will in the buff reviews....
    Already been done.

Perhaps a good trend would be to film yourself banging a hot chick while discusssing the merits of Aventus.

Basenotes Plus

I prefer sober reviews.

However, I enjoy drunk blind buying.

Fragrance Wires (Jay) seems to be making a staple of the drunk review. Also, Frank (Franchizzy, Frank n Scents) just did one on Prada Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    At least that guy has an excuse. It's the sober ones who drone on ad nauseum, constantly repeat themselves, say nothing of significance, and act as if they've never sniffed the fragrance being reviewed, who are really annoying. Do any of these guys A) smell the fragrance beforehand, B) think about the fragrance beforehand, C) ever plan what they're going to say once they're on camera, or D) give any thought to what they sound like or look like on camera? It doesn't seem so. I can't stand watching that crap.

Drunk, suicidal and testing 007 James Bond. Might watch that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Drunk, suicidal and testing 007 James Bond. Might watch that
    Snork! Me, too. I can't imagine these dimwits have anything useful to offer.

Anybody else see the scent reviews on Youtube by that red haired middle aged hipster dude from NYC. No alcohol consumed but possibly something else other than the perfume bringing some delight to his nose. No real thoughtful analysis or feedback provided as such. Just giggles, some silence, then a long sniff on the wrist and wait for it .......a "wow" .....another giggle, a pause and then a gushing statement about the fragrance. Poivre 23 was his best review so far. Still, all humor aside, I tend to avoid the reviewers on Youtube. Too little preparation and it can become tedious to watch somebody grope for the correct word or description over and over. Then there is the added confusion about what it smells like now compared to the last time he wore it. Most of these online reviews on Youtube should be completed in less than 5mins. Anymore, and that review better come with more "pow" than "wow".

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    Could not have said it better.

for swap/sale:

Hmm... if it's somehow coherent yet brief, I could get behind a truthful review or two. But I just can't watch the folks that talk ad nauseum about stuff that really doesn't matter to me - read: Marketing spiel, hyberbole, fanboyism and grunts and sniffs while holding the bottle to the camera as if I can smell it too. Bad showmanship.

dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    People really watch other people sniffing their arms and stumble around trying to remember the notes they looked up on Fragrantica? I can see reading reviews, but in the 15 minutes of watching "What's up YouTube!" and "This one is like... um... kinda lemony... and *sniff* *sniff* a little... uh... woody.... [looks down at notes]... *sniff* *sniff*... " (Compelling stuff for sure) - I could have read 5 thought out reviews.
    I agree. I much prefer reading a well thought out review than watch a review on Youtube. I also don't have the patience to watch a review video that's way too long. I think 5-7 minutes is more than enough to give a review. It seems like they're getting longer and longer these days, some even around 20 minutes or more for a review of just one fragrance.

The fragrance videos I do like are the haul, first impression, and the top fragrances of the season videos.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    It's the sober ones who drone on ad nauseum, constantly repeat themselves, say nothing of significance, and act as if they've never sniffed the fragrance being reviewed, who are really annoying. Do any of these guys A) smell the fragrance beforehand, B) think about the fragrance beforehand, C) ever plan what they're going to say once they're on camera, or D) give any thought to what they sound like or look like on camera? It doesn't seem so. I can't stand watching that crap.
    This seems to be the general model for 90% of the youtube reviews: total incoherence; struggles with diction; and incessant rambling. Many of them seem to have an incredible ability to talk around a fragrance for ten minutes and still manage to say nothing at all.

This drunk one that Rüssel posted strikes me as no different from most of the other "popular" reviewers.

If there is a particular frag I'm interested in, after I've read the reviews, I might check the youtube reviews too, but in general I don't check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Hey Guys:

I notice that several youtube reviewers have supposedly gotten drunk and then filmed a review of a fragrance, usually something that is on the negative end of the spectrum. They are usually quite entertaining and even informative, since the inebriation seems to bring out a very honest perspectiv. Now, my wife is not very supportive of alcohol and won't even let me have it in the house. I'm afraid that the future of my fragrance channel is in jeopardy and don't know what to do. I strive to be honest even as I stay sober, so hopefully, things will work out for the best. But what about the basenotes community? Do you want more youtube reviewers to tie one on and really tell you what we think?
    Have I got this right, you are worried that your Youtube fragrance reviewing career is going to go downhill because your wife won't let you drink?
    I don't know where to start with this one .
    Let's just say it's not worth losing any sleep over it.

I don't keep up with "fragcom" really anymore, there's too many reviewers, reviewing the same stuff.. it's redundant. A couple reviewers on youtube I have become friends with and stick to watching their vids and supporting them. Personally, I prefer BN much better
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Despite the large number of unfocused, asinine fragrance reviews on YouTube there are still a select few that I follow and find informative and/or entertaining.

As far as fragrance wires goes and his drunk reviews I think he's doing it more than anything for his own entertainment. Power to him.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Just watched my first "drunk" review a couple nights ago and agree with you that it was quite entertaining! However.....I see it as a gimmick and something that people would tire of quickly.(just like the drunk people at the club/bar when your sober, the novelty quickly wears off )

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Have I got this right, you are worried that your Youtube fragrance reviewing career is going to go downhill because your wife won't let you drink?
    I don't know where to start with this one .
    Let's just say it's not worth losing any sleep over it.
    Well, it seems to me that Youtube reviewers somehow feel pressured to somehow outdo each other. At first, it seemed that having the ability to review a fragrance and upload a webcam video would get you a nice audience. Now, channels are popping up, and I'd have to say that in many cases, it's the ones that can entertain or put on a fancy show that win the crowds. I still upload all my videos via webcam and try to keep them around 5 minutes a piece. Now, I notice that my views are stagnating or perhaps dropping. I try to do many exclusive reviews and give the scent a full wearing, so my videos have some value, especially to those that want to watch a review and not just have a good laugh.

Well, it seems to me that Youtube reviewers somehow feel pressured to somehow outdo each other. At first, it seemed that having the ability to review a fragrance and upload a webcam video would get you a nice audience. Now, channels are popping up, and I'd have to say that in many cases, it's the ones that can entertain or put on a fancy show that win the crowds. I still upload all my videos via webcam and try to keep them around 5 minutes a piece. Now, I notice that my views are stagnating or perhaps dropping. I try to do many exclusive reviews and give the scent a full wearing, so my videos have some value, especially to those that want to watch a review and not just have a good laugh.
    That's show business!

Looks like you have a few options:

• Stick to your guns, give sober and thorough reviews, and accept that you are only going to appeal to the niche market that wants straight information (pun intended).
    • Hire a writer to spice up your reviews.
    • Come up with some non-alcohol-fueled means of injecting some novelty (pun definitely not intended or advised)
    • Throw away your marriage and hit the bottle to chase after the drunk-reviewer fans. NOT ADVISED

Why are you doing this channel? How important are your ratings to you? Is this a for-profit activity? How far are you willing to go to keep or grow your market share?

Disclaimer: I don't watch youtube reviews of fragrances and haven't watched any of the ones discussed here.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Deliberately posting your drunken self on the internet sounds like a very bad idea that at some point or other, you'd come to regret. If you must though, wear some sort of disguise or costume and use an alias.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I don't watch YouTube reviews, but I usually make sure I'm really wasted before I post anything on Basenotes.
    hahahaha

Don't really watch them, but they all seem drunk to me.

I believe this all originates from the highly successful video series of a woman who cooks/bakes something while drunk and posts it on Youtube. I bet now in an attempt to get the otherwise stale view counts on fragrance videos on Youtube up, people are doing these videos. I'm not sure I am a fan, especially knowing they are just doing it for the views and it doesn't contribute anything to the review.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Banned
    Blog Entries

I never watch the reviews..
    Great reviews right here on BN!!

Sober for sure, like Tony may say, C'mon man!
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Why on earth would anyone waste their time doing a video review of a fragrance only they can smell? It is utterly pointless because outside of showing the bottle and box, the rest is much better done and far more useful in writing. It's like doing a travelogue on The Travel Channel for the blind.

Having watched a few, I am surprised people don't realize the videos are actually all about the.people doing them, with the fragrance a mere walk-on. It is literally their "15 minutes" and frankly I care more about the scent than the person pointlessly sniffing their wrist and meandering through an adjective salad for a purely subjective thing one has to smell for themselves.

I tend not to watch YouTube reviews often, but I'm sure I've seen some where it seemed like the reviewer was on some kind of stimulant stronger than a double ristretto.

Did Hiro take his videos down? I bought many of his recommendations and ended up liking all of them. He was worth listening to.

Drunk reviews? Excessive cursing? Gimmicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Did Hiro take his videos down?
    Yeah. He was starting a new career and decided he was no longer going to do reviews. He took down his existing videos as well. This was either late last year or early this year.

Well, as expected, the high horse mentality of basenotes has took front stage yet again.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but the general consensus seems incapable of taking a humanistic approach. No need to take things so literal and serious, it's just one guy sharing his opinion, you don't like him, so be it, then to go on to talk negatively behind a computer screen, knowing in reality, you more then likely wouldn't tell the guy anything, is just sad.

I really can't understand how the BN community generally leads to the assumption that their own community is always superior to those on youtube, it isn't about being right or wrong, who knows this or that, has the best description and knowledge or whater, people need to realize the simple idea of human interaction through a social media element like youtube, is no different then in reality, as if seen in person, I'm surely not going to go on to chastise the person behind their back.

Call it corny, gimmicky, who doesn't like a little booze(you don't, ok good for you, have fun) and I feel it tends to be a nice social lubricant that can aid to voicing a honest and opinion, without the restraint many of us tend to put on ourselves from time to time.

I could understand if he was black out drunk and acting retarded, this isn't the case.

I find it sad that people lack the self esteem and control on their life, that their only way of handling their emotions is to throw misguided judgment upon others.

Youtube is more representative of real life interaction,while this on the other hand, makes up the realm of false reality where people can take shots at whoever they please.

At the very least those on youtube have the courage to put it on the line as who they are despite the vulnerability, knowing that many like I mentioned above, exist in this world. I can at the very least respect that, while, on the other hand, criticizing and hiding behind a message-board avatar, I'm not sure how anyone can justify that as anything other than being petty and cowardly.

Out of all the comments on the Dior Drunk Review, they are all positive and there are 70 likes, I can bet the two dislikes come from basenotes, and looking at this thread, all the hate and trash-talk comes from basenotes.

How welcoming.....
    Last edited by yteek; 13th December 2013 at 06:10 AM.

If you go to the Basenotes reviews and select the lengthiest of them, for example some of the very well thought-out, detailed reviews by Sculpture of Soul, ericrico, scentemental, etc., reading them will only take about two minutes, and less than three minutes for the slowest readers.

In these two minutes you can get a considered, detailed description of a fragrance, one of the very best reviews available anywhere. There's no way a video review should take longer than that, yet many of them go on for 8-10 minutes and say less than any of the aforementioned reviewers say in a couple of sentences.

Katie Puckrik is one of the very few video reviewers I like. It doesn't hurt that she's attractive, but more to the point, she's prepared before she gets on camera, she's succinct, and witty. Her reviews are short and to the point. Puts all the bros to shame.
    Last edited by noggs; 13th December 2013 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    Well, as expected, the high horse mentality of basenotes has took front stage yet again.

No need to take things so literal and serious, it's just one guy sharing his opinion, you don't like him, so be it, then to go on to talk negatively behind a computer screen, knowing in reality, you more then likely wouldn't tell the guy anything, is just sad.
    As you say. Same applies here. It's just one guy sharing his/her opinion. No need to let it rustle your jimmies so much. You know what they say about opinions, don't you?

*posted under the influence of some Yunnan tea made from wild tea plants*

What a coincidence that i was on youtube today, and saw a video from that Frank and Scents guy. It caught my eye because i saw "Drunk". I personally don't like his reviews at all and don't watch him. But of course i had to.

I'm really embarrassed for him. And everyone else that thinks this it's hilarious. Have some class!

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    As you say. Same applies here. It's just one guy sharing his/her opinion. No need to let it rustle your jimmies so much. You know what they say about opinions, don't you?

*posted under the influence of some Yunnan tea made from wild tea plants*
    But the thing is, while those on youtube are capable of exposing their true selves online, taking that risk, being vulnerable, that doesn't apply here. I can respect the courage anyone has to go in front of the camera for everyone to see, it takes a certain kind of individual to be able to do so.

Rather you like him or not or appreciate his content, put that aside, but I think anyone should be at least able to respect that.

While you insinuate the individual is on drugs, you're hiding behind the security of a computer screen, a keyboard, and a flower avatar. I'm all for voicing an opinion, but to take shots at someone persoanlly and aimlessly criticize, something I'm not for online or in reality. To see the BN generally as a whole gang up and group together in the spirit of negatively bashing someone, really says a lot.

I would love to see those who are trash talking do a better job, upload a video, perhaps see all the negative talk you receive and then go to post on basenotes about it.

Of course those to talk bad upon others, 9 times out of 10, are in no position to pass judgment on anyone but themselves.
    Last edited by yteek; 13th December 2013 at 06:37 AM.

y u so mad, bro? Personally, I like most of the youtube reviewers, and I like booze... however, a drunk fragrance review is just dumb. I've never seen/heard of the guy in the Drunk Dior video above, but I probably won't be watching any more from him.
    Last edited by mjones602; 13th December 2013 at 07:05 AM.

I love how there is the ability to comment on the youtube video, perhaps voice your opinion, give an idea for improvement, possibly some constructive criticism.

Yet, everyone goes on to Basenotes to talk shit behind the guys back and gossip.....how cowardly.
    Last edited by yteek; 13th December 2013 at 06:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Hey Guys:

I mean, yeah, I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but the general consensus seems incapable of taking a humanistic approach. No need to take things so literal and serious, it's just one guy sharing his opinion, you don't like him, so be it, then to go on to talk negatively behind a computer screen, knowing in reality, you more then likely wouldn't tell the guy anything, is just sad.

I really can't understand how the BN community generally leads to the assumption that their own community is always superior to those on youtube, it isn't about being right or wrong, who knows this or that, has the best description and knowledge or whater, people need to realize the simple idea of human interaction through a social media element like youtube, is no different then in reality, as if seen in person, I'm surely not going to go on to chastise the person behind their back.

Call it corny, gimmicky, who doesn't like a little booze(you don't, ok good for you, have fun) and I feel it tends to be a nice social lubricant that can aid to voicing a honest and opinion, without the restraint many of us tend to put on ourselves from time to time.

I could understand if he was black out drunk and acting retarded, this isn't the case.

I find it sad that people lack the self esteem and control on their life, that their only way of handling their emotions is to throw misguided judgment upon others.

Youtube is more representative of real life interaction,while this on the other hand, makes up the realm of false reality where people can take shots at whoever they please.

At the very least those on youtube have the courage to put it on the line as who they are despite the vulnerability, knowing that many like I mentioned above, exist in this world. I can at the very least respect that, while, on the other hand, criticizing and hiding behind a message-board avatar, I'm not sure how anyone can justify that as anything other than being petty and cowardly.

Out of all the comments on the Dior Drunk Review, they are all positive and there are 70 likes, I can bet the two dislikes come from basenotes, and looking at this thread, all the hate and trash-talk comes from basenotes.

How welcoming.....
    In answer to both the OP and the LP, here are my thoughts.

To be fair, what would we say about three nicely dressed women drinking wine and discussing fragrance on YouTube, and getting just a wee bit tipsy? Especially if they started getting really humorous. Seriously, if they kept it classy, not a problem. Not much different from a wine tasting, really. When BN had its event at Guerlain in Las Vegas, we were having champagne - at least most of us were. I think the whole gang only had a bottle or two in the time were were there, but still - I was enjoying it.

That's actually very similar to the event we had a Brian Chambers' place, where we sniffed stuff ranging from some very early Gucci, to vintage Guerlains, expensive ouds, and even O'Driu Secraction/Peety/Whatever. Plenty of vino, and a lot of super-brilliant perfume talk, too. It's on YouTube, if you want to look for it. So no - I don't think that fragrance sniffing needs to be sober. But let's be honest - people like us, who value the written word, value on-film time highly, too. If we're a bit snobby, it's not because we're hatin' - it's cause we're respecting. So the bottom line is, please keep it classy and fun. Even if you're sniffing "difficult" fragrance art, or just having fun with "in vino veritas".

I can respect that^

But, who is to define classy?

Completely subjective.

People always want to take the fun out of everything, THE FUN NAZI'S.
    Last edited by yteek; 13th December 2013 at 06:55 AM.

How welcoming.....
    This thread didn't manifest itself, it was started by a well known yt reviewer looking for opinions. Brad came here wondering what basenoters thoughts of drunk reviews, and people shared they're opinions. So what's the problem? You throwing around words like "petty" and "cowardly", seems awfully ironic because nobody above used harsh terms like that, and I seriously doubt you'd have the balls to say that to any of us personally. So who's the real coward here?

Btw, do you also realize that Jay (fragrancewires) is a basenoter, and has been here much longer than yt?

Blog Entries

I can respect that^

Completely subjective.
    Exactly. There are no real boundaries. Which is an idea we all need to get used to in so many ways.

A well-written "Animal House" review would take the fragrance world by storm, and people like Grant would have to spend weeks pondering how to cover it. Of course, it could fail badly and end up in a thread like this. On the other hand, a group of people in suits and dresses and one of them hits on another's spouse on video - instant zero in the class department.

I enjoy some YouTube videos precisely because they're laid-back and it's just a guy talking about fragrance. It's Facetime or Skype to the whole world, is all it is. Love it! But I also enjoy sitting in on somebody else's conversation even more, and I really think that is where YouTube videos should go. Those are definitely the ones I enjoy the most - where they move toward a talk show format. Seeing multiple people talking fragrance online is really nice. And a little drink is just natural there - the jokes will flow. Hopefully with some bleeping every once in a while.

THE FUN NAZI'S.
    So far, all you've done is bash basenotes members as being on a high horse, and being fun nazi's. Why would you come to such a terrible place to discuss perfume? Maybe you should reconsider how you spend your free time.

Doing drunken perfume reviews perhaps?

The definition of class is surely not clear cut but drunk YouTube reviews is indisputably not classy.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    This thread didn't manifest itself, it was started by a well known yt reviewer looking for opinions. Brad came here wondering what basenoters thoughts of drunk reviews, and people shared they're opinions. So what's the problem? You throwing around words like "petty" and "cowardly", seems awfully ironic because nobody above used harsh terms like that, and I seriously doubt you'd have the balls to say that to any of us personally. So who's the real coward here?

Btw, do you also realize that Jay (fragrancewires) is a basenoter, and has been here much longer than yt?
    If the opportunity came about to address those persoanlly I would do so,closest opportunity is right here. Like I said, instead of commenting on the video, addressing him directly and personally, I surely wouldn't flock to a message board to talk down on someone amongst peers.

How about trying positive reinforcement, constructive criticism, things of that nature....instead of swaying towards negativity.

I'm well aware of who Brad is and the why he made this thread, my response is directed not exactly towards the original post but primarily those who responded thereafter, but I also did cover what I thought on the original topic.

Also, well aware that both Brad and Jay are members of basenotes as many in the youtube community are, you're preaching to the choir.

You say no one used harsh words?

" Stupid is as stupid does." "I can't imagine these dimwits have anything useful to offer." "it seemed like the reviewer was on some kind of stimulant stronger than a double ristretto."

Really sounds like a wide arrangement of nice and positive talk, implying someone is stupid, implying someone is on drugs, implying someone is a dimwit...cowardly and petty come off as a compliment in comparison.

If you can find a better more fitting terms then petty and cowardly, feel free to inform me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I have to admit that I laughed more at this than the last 30 sober reviews combined.

Honestly, I am very glad he posted this. There has been no finer parody of the popularity of Dior Homme Whatever since the famous thread, Dior Homme vs. Dior Homme.

In Vino, Veritas!!!

Really sounds like a wide arrangement of nice and positive talk, implying someone is stupid, implying someone is on drugs, implying someone is a dimwit...cowardly and petty come off as a compliment in comparison.

If you can find a better more fitting terms then petty and cowardly, feel free to inform me.
    What exactly do you think the reviewer thought was going to come of drunken review? A collective pat on the back from the perfume community for delivering a powerful, eloquent and thought provoking review?

And the question was posed HERE on basenotes, NOT on youtube. Thats why we answered HERE, as opposed to Youtube. No one is 'scared' to get and tell him anything. Frankly, i think i can speak for most of us in saying we really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The definition of class is surely not clear cut but drunk YouTube reviews is indisputably not classy.
    That is your opinion, the defintion of class is subjective.
    To say that someone lacks class, is not classy in my eyes.

Obviously, I'm doing the same, but I feel as it is justified on the grounds of standing up for what I believe to be universally wrong.

Why can't we all just respect who other people are, as long as they're not imposing upon anybody, why talk down? They're not hurting anybody but their body. No one is perfect.

You don't like somebody, that is fine, I just would wish that the negativity would be kept within.

Class can vary between different cultures, age groups, and etc, it isn't something that is universal and concrete.

I think Jay is classy individual in my point of view.

If the opportunity came about to address those persoanlly I would do so,closest opportunity is right here. Like I said, instead of commenting on the video, addressing him directly and personally, I surely wouldn't flock to a message board to talk down on someone amongst peers.

How about trying positive reinforcement, constructive criticism, things of that nature....instead of swaying towards negativity.

I'm well aware of who Brad is and the why he made this thread, my response is directed not exactly towards the original post but primarily those who responded thereafter, but I also did cover what I thought on the original topic.

Also, well aware that both Brad and Jay are members of basenotes as many in the youtube community are, you're preaching to the choir.

You say no one used harsh words?

" Stupid is as stupid does." "I can't imagine these dimwits have anything useful to offer." "it seemed like the reviewer was on some kind of stimulant stronger than a double ristretto."

Are you saying drunk reviews are not stupid?

Yes, drunk reviews are stupid.
    They do not serve the purpose.

If you support drunk reviews, then I'd like to see you back it up by availing of services from drunk vendors.
    Lol yeah , I didn't think so.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    What exactly do you think the reviewer thought was going to come of drunken review? A collective pat on the back from the perfume community for delivering a powerful, eloquent and thought provoking review?

And the question was posed HERE on basenotes, NOT on youtube. Thats why we answered HERE, as opposed to Youtube. No one is 'scared' to get and tell him anything. Frankly, i think i can speak for most of us in saying we really don't care.
    OMG CAPS LOCK?
    ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?

We have a tough guy.

I hate this community, generally speaking, I'm sure there are good people but I'm sick of the snotty,snobby,high horse attitude.

You win, you're all better then everybody, can't argue with a basenotes elitist, that is a battle that can never be won.
    Last edited by yteek; 13th December 2013 at 07:40 AM.