Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Are drunk reviews the future of the fragrance community?

Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    OMG CAPS LOCK?
    ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?

We have a tough guy.

I hate this community, generally speaking, I'm sure there are good people but I'm sick of the snotty,snobby,high horse attitude.
    More trying to accentuate those particular words since it seems you can't quite grasp the reason for us talking about it here. You know, the forum in which the question was asked.

It seems that my post has injured your soul deeply. You should probably go have a drink to calm down. Those basenotes thugs and nazi's can be fiesty!

That is your opinion, the defintion of class is subjective.
    To say that someone lacks class, is not classy in my eyes.

Obviously, I'm doing the same, but I feel as it is justified on the grounds of standing up for what I believe to be universally wrong.

Why can't we all just respect who other people are, as long as they're not imposing upon anybody, why talk down? They're not hurting anybody but their body. No one is perfect.

You don't like somebody, that is fine, I just would wish that the negativity would be kept within.

Class can vary between different cultures, age groups, and etc, it isn't something that is universal and concrete.

I think Jay is classy individual in my point of view.
    Don't twist words.

I take your word that Jay is a classy guy but his act of drunken reviews wasn't classy.
    Other than that I'm sure he's classy & upstanding.

Ok troll.

I'm done here.

for swap/sale:

OMG CAPS LOCK?
    ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?

We have a tough guy.

I hate this community, generally speaking, I'm sure there are good people but I'm sick of the snotty,snobby,high horse attitude.

You win, you're all better then everybody, can't argue with a basenotes elitist, that is a battle that can never be won.

Bye!

If the opportunity came about to address those persoanlly I would do so,closest opportunity is right here. Like I said, instead of commenting on the video, addressing him directly and personally, I surely wouldn't flock to a message board to talk down on someone amongst peers.

How about trying positive reinforcement, constructive criticism, things of that nature....instead of swaying towards negativity.

I'm well aware of who Brad is and the why he made this thread, my response is directed not exactly towards the original post but primarily those who responded thereafter, but I also did cover what I thought on the original topic.

Also, well aware that both Brad and Jay are members of basenotes as many in the youtube community are, you're preaching to the choir.

You say no one used harsh words?

" Stupid is as stupid does." "I can't imagine these dimwits have anything useful to offer." "it seemed like the reviewer was on some kind of stimulant stronger than a double ristretto."

Really sounds like a wide arrangement of nice and positive talk, implying someone is stupid, implying someone is on drugs, implying someone is a dimwit...cowardly and petty come off as a compliment in comparison.

If you can find a better more fitting terms then petty and cowardly, feel free to inform me.

So your response was only directed at the 2 or 3 BN'ers that used the words "stupid" and "dimwit". Funny, your op seemed to lump all basenoters into one big group of cowards. Ok then. Idk about you, but I'd much rather be called a dimwit than a coward.

Im sure you know that BN isnt a private forum, and since you also know that Jay is a BN'er, I'm sure you realize that he's perfectly able to read the above posts and defend himself. Let him fight his own battles, and stop taking yourself so seriously.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 13th December 2013 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    So yLet him fight his own battles, and stop taking yourself so seriously.
    I thought WE were the uptight ones?

No wait, it we're elitists. My apologies.

Blog Entries

Let's all just chill here a bit - please. I think this is something worth thinking about and discussing, but let's all try to keep it civil. It's an interesting topic - I don't want to have to lock it.

We have a tough guy.
    Indeed, we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Let's all just chill here a bit - please. I think this is something worth thinking about and discussing, but let's all try to keep it civil. It's an interesting topic - I don't want to have to lock it.

You shouldn't have to RP, but we're getting slammed for voicing our opinions. On top of that, getting called everything from cowards, to elitists to nazis.

Well, as expected, the high horse mentality of basenotes has took front stage yet again.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but the general consensus seems incapable of taking a humanistic approach. No need to take things so literal and serious, it's just one guy sharing his opinion, you don't like him, so be it, then to go on to talk negatively behind a computer screen, knowing in reality, you more then likely wouldn't tell the guy anything, is just sad.

Do you have the same opinion of movie critics?

I really can't understand how the BN community generally leads to the assumption that their own community is always superior to those on youtube, it isn't about being right or wrong, who knows this or that, has the best description and knowledge or whater, people need to realize the simple idea of human interaction through a social media element like youtube, is no different then in reality, as if seen in person, I'm surely not going to go on to chastise the person behind their back.

Do you really believe that a YouTube video is the same social interaction as talking to someone in person?

Call it corny, gimmicky, who doesn't like a little booze(you don't, ok good for you, have fun) and I feel it tends to be a nice social lubricant that can aid to voicing a honest and opinion, without the restraint many of us tend to put on ourselves from time to time.

I could understand if he was black out drunk and acting retarded, this isn't the case.

I find it sad that people lack the self esteem and control on their life, that their only way of handling their emotions is to throw misguided judgment upon others.

So people who need to drink to voice a honest opinion are more in control of their life? And people who don't drink can't have fun?

Youtube is more representative of real life interaction,while this on the other hand, makes up the realm of false reality where people can take shots at whoever they please.

So video is more representative of real life interaction than the written word?

At the very least those on youtube have the courage to put it on the line as who they are despite the vulnerability, knowing that many like I mentioned above, exist in this world. I can at the very least respect that, while, on the other hand, criticizing and hiding behind a message-board avatar, I'm not sure how anyone can justify that as anything other than being petty and cowardly.

While it does take courage to put up a YouTube video does it make you immune to critics?

Out of all the comments on the Dior Drunk Review, they are all positive and there are 70 likes, I can bet the two dislikes come from basenotes, and looking at this thread, all the hate and trash-talk comes from basenotes.

How welcoming.....

Just a few questions...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Don't twist words.

I take your word that Jay is a classy guy but his act of drunken reviews wasn't classy.
    Other than that I'm sure he's classy & upstanding.

Exactly. That's what makes the review poignant and fascinating. It's a guy who knows something about classiness in fragrance talking about it at the end of a night out, when he's not exactly showing his best side, but unintentionally setting forth so much truth, that the review takes on added meaning. It's almost literary, and in that sense, the sins are forgiven. But let us not mistake the virtues for the vices and vice versa.

My one review on video, which I did to test my webcam, comes off old and tired, but shows sparks of my better side. It's fascinating, but not for the qualities one normally desires. Same here.

RP, i see where you're going with what you're saying about it being a different view. And thinking of it that drunken, makes me think of something else i think would be even better.

A review written or video captured, by someone who has come home from a long day, or night. Wearing that particular perfume, and how its performed throughout the day, and all of the interesting things that may have happened. Compliments, complaints, etc.

However without the cursing, slurring of words, and general drunkeness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    You shouldn't have to RP, but we're getting slammed for voicing our opinions. On top of that, getting called everything from cowards, to elitists to nazis.
    I agree - I think he's taking it a bit too personally, and I hope he just takes a breather. I would also ask that everybody else be just a wee bit gentler, given the numbers on the two sides. I'm sure he's feeling a bit overwhelmed by the opposition, with only the OP and half a mod on his side.

It's only by my having been well-lubricated in pictures and video in the fragrance world, that I feel I have zero right to throw stones. Personally, I don't think that drunken reviews have much of a future - they will surely get old quickly. However, I can imagine that seeing a favorite reviewer tipsy and happy every once in a while might be both entertaining and a bit personal, and so I don't think it will ever go away. Tania's review of Dior Addict where she admitted being a bit high when she first smelled it, was one of her best. Drinking has as much place here as it does anywhere - occasionally, and keeping it all happy and fun. But alcohol always has costs, and we are all wise to remember that. My wife doesn't drink, and she's never regretted a drunken statement or action.

Blog Entries

RP, i see where you're going with what you're saying about it being a different view. And thinking of it that drunken, makes me think of something else i think would be even better.

A review written or video captured, by someone who has come home from a long day, or night. Wearing that particular perfume, and how its performed throughout the day, and all of the interesting things that may have happened. Compliments, complaints, etc.

However without the cursing, slurring of words, and general drunkeness.
    Agreed - I think the best part of videos can be their utter reality, if people just go with it and make it turn into something special. It's when it becomes forced and artificial that it becomes a farce, and I think that's what a lot of us are reacting to - the idea of drunken reviews as a kind of low-class reality show. And no - I don't want that, either. That's like "Charm School" or some other "let's turn the sluts into princesses, but encourage them to be sluts for the viewers" type show. No. No class there. But if one of my favorite male or female reviewers came home from a party a bit high and posted about a fragrance, and did it right? It could be amazing. I think we just have to keep an open mind, but not lose our critical abilities, either.

No rules. Have fun with it. But it would be more fun for them if they learned more about it. There are a lot of great things to read and know about perfume.
    Last edited by pluran; 13th December 2013 at 07:45 AM.

Hey Brad, when can we expect the "So I started a thread on basenotes..." video?

never watch YT reviews they are so sad!

Blog Entries

LOL!

Actually, some instructional videos might be nice.

1.0 Basics
    ...1.1 - How not to be a troll
    ...1.2 - Read the rules first!
    ...1.3 - CREED®
    ...1.4 - Others
    2.0 Advanced CREED®

After a quick read glance at OP's videos on youtube, it seems my feelings toward drunken reviews also apply to OP's choices as well.

"Top Ten Fragrances for Masturbation". I don't know what would make anyone think this is a good idea.

OP, were you trying to attract the same attention that you thought the drunken videos were trying to achieve?

I prefer to read fragrance reviews rather than spend 10+ mins listening to someone go on about the look of the box, what comes with it, the look of the bottle, color of the juice and reciting the notes which can be found elsewhere. There is an exception though as i do find the fragrance bros quite funny and i do enjoy their Vs videos.

But all in all. I get much more out of reading a well written review than watching a video.

And drunk reviews? No thank you, it's not funny and it isn't informative.

Blog Entries

After a quick read glance at OP's videos on youtube, it seems my feelings toward drunken reviews also apply to OP's choices as well.

"Top Ten Fragrances for Masturbation". I don't know what would make anyone think this is a good idea.

OP, were you trying to attract the same attention that you thought the drunken videos were trying to achieve?
    Can't. Find. The. EEK. Smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Are we talking about this guy or are there others?
    ^^Fucking hilarious. Such earnest gushing over DHI. Great idea. They are just having a little fun. Did anyone even watch any of the videos before saying how terrible and trashy they are? I doubt it.

Also, Im pretty sure the OP is using what is called "deadpan humor". He likes to entertain himself.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

This one is even better.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Calm, rambling drunk.

Quesadilla story @6:10
    Last edited by heperd; 13th December 2013 at 08:31 AM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    ^^Fucking hilarious. Such earnest gushing over DHI. Great idea. They are just having a little fun. Did anyone even watch any of the videos before saying how terrible and trashy they are? I doubt it.

Also, Im pretty sure the OP is using what is called "deadpan humor". He likes to entertain himself.
    Exactly.

This was quite informative for me and not to mention also kinda funny.

Could barely tell he was intoxicated, unless otherwise indicated, I would of assumed he didn't even have a brew.

I like the fact that I can relate to this, it isn't some guy in a suit with an accent attempting to come off as an expert on all things perfume, just an average joe.

Somebody said drunk reviews don't have a point, it doesn't need to have a point, it doesn't need to be right or wrong, all this technical and serious BS, just take it for what it is on the surface level and stop trying to dig below the surface.

I would respond to all those feeling the need to gang up defensively on me, but the response on their behalf said more then I could ever and only further made example to prove my point.

Like I said there are exceptions to every rule, at the very least I'm thankful to see RP to be decent and not take sides while remaining neutral and pleasant to deal with, which is a rarity.
    Last edited by yteek; 13th December 2013 at 08:45 AM.

Gah! Anyways, this should definitely be #1..

image.jpg
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 13th December 2013 at 09:10 AM.

Keep in mind Tim Swetcoff started drunk reviews before any of these guys. He loved his box-wine.

Now I begin to understand so much Aventus hype.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I think there could be real potential for a gonzo perspective on fragrance reviews and journalism.

But not many have the talent of a Hunter S. Thompson.

As for my jokes about drug use, well I blame the dude's dilated pupils. I have no issue with people doing YouTube reviews (or intoxication), but I tend to have very little interest in viewing most YouTube reviews. As others have mentioned above, I prefer the written word and I value a certain degree of conciseness and many reviews tend to ramble. Presenting in person isn't easy, and I admire their cojones or lack of self-consciousness, but it doesn't necessarily make them good or make their behavior advisable.

Your white knighting them is admirable, but if they are brave enough to post reviews on YouTube, I'm sure they can handle a little criticism.

Just in answer to the OP: if the booze is going to cause problems at home, and if you think you may have trouble being honest while sober, then it's possible you have bigger problems than the viability of your YouTube review channel. I didn't know that drunk reviewing was a thing until I read this thread, but I'd have to imagine it's a passing phase and not worth risking your relationships or your well-being.

The best reviewers--of perfume, movies, books, etc.--are the ones who are honest, curious, knowledgeable, and passionate about the subject matter. An overriding desire for popularity or stardom won't make you worth watching (or reading).

I can't imagine being at all interested in watching a review because the reviewer's drunk.

What difference would it make anyway?

Within this thread is the very best, and very worst of Basenotes. Absolutely hilarious. I've always considered myself to have a foot in both "camps". All this "You suck!" "No, YOU suck!" business is just stupid.

P.S

Drunk reviews ARE the future.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Drunk reviews ARE the future.
    You're english, of course you would say that!

Blog Entries

Well, I watched the 'Dior Homme Intense' review above. Since I don't know anything about the fragrance, I have to say, I learned only that it is smooth, about $80, and a 'night-time' fragrance. I still know nothing about the notes. And that fellow has a limited vocabularlary consisting mainly of crude profanities. Kind of dull, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Well, I watched the 'Dior Homme Intense' review above. Since I don't know anything about the fragrance, I have to say, I learned only that it is smooth, about $80, and a 'night-time' fragrance. I still know nothing about the notes. And that fellow has a limited vocabularlary consisting mainly of crude profanities. Kind of dull, IMO.
    In all fairness he did warn you at the beginning the video may contain offensive or overly Canadian language . Lol
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

The next big fragrance reviewer...

I think she's talking about DHI right now... Let's all take her seriously or someone will get mad.

Actually, Jay mentioned this thread in his 1899 vs. Spicebomb video, so perhaps that is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    The next big fragrance reviewer...

I think she's talking about DHI right now... Let's all take her seriously or someone will get mad.
    Been there, done that. Twerking is so very 2012 in the community i'm afraid.

Blog Entries

For what it's worth, I, personally, have spent a great deal of time and money on essential oils and numerous perfumes over the last 6 years or so in order to come to some understanding of various notes in perfumery. Many others on this site and elsewhere have done the same. As I previously said, I doubt very much that any of these unprepared 'drunks' have anything to offer. They could make better use of their time and ours if they wanted to come to a deeper, more meaningful understanding and appreciation of fragrance.

Reading thread whilst drinking some French cider. I really like Kouros, it's like my best mate ever!

We're all unprepared drunks. Every single last one of us. It's the future.

Joker_Why_so_serious__by_mjlynch712.jpg
    Last edited by QWERTYOP; 13th December 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    In all fairness he did warn you at the beginning the video may contain offensive or overly Canadian language . Lol
    Some of us were simply expecting stuff like washroom, giver, hoser, and pencil crayons, eh?!

Drunk Online Fragrance Shopping >>>>> Drunk Online Fragrance Reviewing

Just sayin'

OMG CAPS LOCK?
    ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?

We have a tough guy.

You win, you're all better then everybody, can't argue with a basenotes elitist, that is a battle that can never be won.

I can see some entertainment value in posing as a reactionary arrogant fool to take a silly thread into ridiculous territory but surely nobody actually believes that "basenoters" are elitist, cowardly, petty tough guy nazis and drunken Youtube fragrance reviewers are brave vulnerable bearers of the torch of truth.
    You'd have to be about 12 years old
    Come on man, you're trolling. Time to 'fess up!

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    surely nobody actually believes that "basenoters" are elitist:
    Absolutely nobody.

Absolutely nobody.
    Opinions of Youtube fragrance reviewers, inebriated or otherwise, do not count.
    (However lion hearted they might be).

Let's hope that James Bond doesn't review any
    http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f7255

Basenotes Junkie

Drunk or not, the dude on the DHI review video is a complete d-bag. What a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    For what it's worth, I, personally, have spent a great deal of time and money on essential oils and numerous perfumes over the last 6 years or so in order to come to some understanding of various notes in perfumery. Many others on this site and elsewhere have done the same. As I previously said, I doubt very much that any of these unprepared 'drunks' have anything to offer. They could make better use of their time and ours if they wanted to come to a deeper, more meaningful understanding and appreciation of fragrance.
    Its one guy that is doing all of the drunk reviews and he is having fun. Why does every video have to be deep and meaningful?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I though you only spread misery in Creed threads?

Most yt reviews are annoying and pointless to me. Some of them are regular, normal guys. Just like the people on bn. Takes all kinds. Drunk reviews, wet blankets etc....

People used to love it when LeMdM would start threads high out of his mind didnt they?
    Last edited by heperd; 13th December 2013 at 06:47 PM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

LOL! I'm not even sure what I just watched, but I played it twice and laughed just as hard the second time.

I though you only spread misery in Creed threads?

Most yt reviews are annoying and pointless to me. Some of them are regular, normal guys. Just like the people on bn. Takes all kinds. Drunk reviews, wet blankets etc....

People used to love it when LeMdM would start threads high out of his mind didnt they?
    I have no idea what you are talking about.
    No,actually you have no idea what I am talking about.
    For what it's worth, I couldn't care less whether someone reviews a fragrance on Youtube drunk, sober, from a crack den or whilst communicating with nature spirits during an ayahuasca ceremony.
    I don't imagine most people here really give a f*** either.
    My only interest in this thread was how arrogant and hypocritical one particular poster was being, though it seems Qertytop didn't appreciate my pointing out that he was hardly an unbiased observer on the matter

* By the way, Creed threads ARE misery.
    Last edited by martinijo; 13th December 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Why am I not "unbiased"? I participate in both mediums & have done for years. Anywho... [

In my experience most Canadians, especially from his part of Canada, are a rowdy bunch who tend to drink a lot an swear a ton. Maybe this was just part of his process. He probably speaks the same way to his family members and co workers. These videos may just be his way of showing his true self and not acting all prim and proper which is probably so against his grain. I mean he has tattoos, so you know what that means. It may just be the way he was raised, kinda like how Italians always want you to eat. I found the videos to be fun.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Why am I not "unbiased"? I participate in both mediums & have done for years. Anywho... [

* No irony here. Nice vid.
    Last edited by martinijo; 13th December 2013 at 07:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Its one guy that is doing all of the drunk reviews and he is having fun. Why does every video have to be deep and meaningful?
    It matters not. To each his own. I was just expressing my view. I won't be checking out the drunk videos. I image some will, so, OP, they probably will go on in the future.

To be drunk is really relaxing and enjoyable but i'd never wanted to do a fragrance -or any other review while drunk.... and the reviews made while being drunk are not to be taken seriously, just for fun Oh and i respect my wife's will and opinions, but would never let her bully me. Luckily she doesn't even try to be a boss in the house.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

The elitist tag for basenoters is pushing it a fair bit . Sure, there are guys and gals from all walks of life on here. Some members can offer very professional reviews while all the time working pretty unimpressive type jobs. Then there are some ivied folks with nothing more to say than a few words about a fragrance. Fact . Ever notice how Basenotes tends to ignore a reputation system of sorts. So, any accusations of a private little circle of elitists running the show at Basenotes is baseless and absurd.

The obvious frustration and annoyance expressed at drunken reviewers on Youtube has to be addressed. Just like eager and enthusiastic students , we await that consummate fragrance review like a long awaited lesson. Now, lets consider even great wine tasters will keep their heads clear and coherent by tasting the wine only and avoiding its effects. Anything else and the feedback can very likely miss the mark. Not asking for too much are we ?