Code of Conduct

Default Imaginary Authors Discussion

So, there was a great thread off in Huddlerville about the house of Imaginary Authors, but I haven't seen anyone discussing the line lately. I love what Josh Meyer has been doing, and I am sure that I am not the only one on Basenotes who feels this way. His stuff is always interesting, and pretty affordable by niche standards, and even by Indie standards.

What are your thoughts on this line, Basenoters? Let's discuss his fragrances!

Personally, I own three fragrances from the line as of now: Cape Heartache, Memoirs of a Trespasser, and The Cobra & The Canary. I've been splitting the line, so I've got about 20mL of each of these, and I have been very impressed having blind bought all three. They are all very different, and my general quick impressions are as follows:

Cape Heartache (stealing this from another post I made): The opening is what you would expect given the notes list: Fir, pine, and just a generally woodsy feel to it. But, there is something there in the background that immediately makes this stand out: Strawberry. I can't say I would ever think to combine fir, pine, and hemlock with strawberry, but I guess Mr.Meyer figured it out, because it really works, and makes this scent ten times more interesting than it would be without it. I'd venture to say that without the cool strawberry interplay, this would be a less impressive version of Norne. The berry sweetens the fragrance a tad, as it is not a "dry strawberry" (if that's even possible). The strawberry note in here reminds me of what the strawberry little tree car fresheners would smell like if they were a little stronger and had a sweeter note to them. This isn't a bad thing, as a hyper-realistic strawberry smell would just get drowned out by all the green going on otherwise.

Memoirs of a Trespasser: This one is all about guaiac wood in my opinion, and it does a great job of incorporating one of my favorite notes. There is also a heavy dose of vanilla, but the fragrance never gets overly sweet, nor does it venture into the boozy territory of so many vanilla fragrances. The ambrette seeds in here are a nice addition, and while to my nose they are not too pronounced, it adds a little musky feel to the drydown. This is a pretty straightforward scent, but it is definitely a unique take on the genre, and it is definitely one that everyone should check out!

The Cobra & The Canary: I only have limited experience with this one, since I just got it in the mail yesterday. One thing I will say is that I did not expect to like this at all, since leather and I don't have the best fragrance history, and the inclusion of an asphalt note had me worried. Well, no worries! Josh is a smart guy, and by adding in orris root and lemon to the opening, it really dials the leather/hay blast down a notch, which is a welcome trick. Don't be fooled though, there is still plenty of leather, dry tobacco, and hay in here to please those who are fans of the notes. I can't say I detect a ton of tobacco like some reviews have mentioned, but I am used to very assertive tobacco fragrances, and the tobacco here is used to smooth out the leather and hay, and it does so successfully. Once again it is a unique take on a leather/tobacco fragrance, and I have to say, the picture he paints using his author's vision definitely works here. I can definitely see this being welcome in any social situation, and I can easily see myself wearing this casually without hesitation.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 12th December 2013 at 07:29 PM.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Default Re: Imaginary Authors Discussion

I received samples of these plus Bull's Blood & The Soft Lawn from Parfum1 with a recent purchase. They were OK, but nothing special IMO.
    (1492)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I received samples of these plus Bull's Blood & The Soft Lawn from Parfum1 with a recent purchase. They were OK, but nothing special IMO.
    (1492)
    I haven't tried either yet, though I've heard The Soft Lawn is very strange with that tennis ball note. Bull's Blood has gotten mostly positive reviews from what I've seen, so I may try and snag that one next. What didn't you like about it?
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Plus

Has anyone tried The Soft Lawn ?

Might have to investigate the sample pack!

Yeah a particular reviewer that I've observed for a minute now , raves about this perfume IA but not a wow factor there, if they have discovery set, then I might be tempted to exam it's content ...Thx for reminding of this niche/indie house....I truly forgot about them....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Yeah a particular reviewer that I've observed for a minute now , raves about this perfume IA but not a wow factor there, if they have discovery set, then I might be tempted to exam it's content ...Thx for reminding of this niche/indie house....I truly forgot about them....
    I believe they do have a sample set. I just knew I could split these since a few people I know were interested in shares. I'm definitely glad to have bottles of three of these. They also look great together thanks to a label on their side.

I've written reviews for Falling Into the Sea, and The Cobra and the Canary.

I liked both, though I would not wear FITS personally. But I liked the tropical direction they took with it, and that they dared to go a little over-the-top rather than just sticking with the standard citrus-aquatic formula. I like that they went Litchi and tropical flowers instead. TCATC was a pleasant, easy wear, and I feel the note pyramid is honest. A good leather/hay/tobacco option. I'm not going to buy a bottle or anything, but it's solid.

I did not like Bull's Blood at a all. But it's not my style of fragrance either. Strong, overwhelming patchouli-rose combo, skanky and heavy...not my thing. It's not a knock on Imaginary Authors per se, other fragrances I despise include the often well-received 1740 Marquis de Sade and Absolue Pour Le Soir.

Orchid Terrible was interesting. It's unique and sort of strikes me as a floral that's almost gourmand-like in nature, maybe because of the honey. I But I didn't spend much time on it because I knew it wasn't for me. I don't know about orchid either, I wouldn't know what that smells like. But this has a very distinct, memorable scent.

My favorite is Memoirs of a Trespasser. And if I didn't already own and enjoy Eau Duelle and Les Nombres d'Or Vanille, I would probably pick up a bottle of this. It's a great, sort of dry, dirty-dusty, woody vanilla frag with excellent staying power. A cozy fragrance, an not like other vanilla-based frags I've tried.

I've never tried Summer Lawns or Violet Disguise. I'm not interested in them.

However, I'm very interested in trying Cape Heartache, and also Mosaic.

Overall, I would rate Imaginary Authors between a 3 and 3.5 out of 5. They have a distinguishable quality, a good variety of scents, and are daring and different enough to be fun, yet very wearable. I'll continue to look at their new offerings in the future.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 12th December 2013 at 09:59 PM.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Cobra and the Canary reminds me of Slumberhouse. Not sure how much I'll be wearing it going forward. Glad this is one of the few I opted for a decant instead of a bottle.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am interested in Cape Heartache..
    I have only heard good things about it..

Are these in limited distribution only?

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post
    Are these in limited distribution only?
    They are available on Parfum1, and I think a few other sites as well. I'm not sure where they ship to though.