Code of Conduct

Default Tuberose, an Odyssey

While picking up a bouquet of roses for wifey I saw stalks of tuberose. Unopened stalks of beautiful tuberose.

Up to this point I'd only smelled tuberose in passing or from essential oils.
    Tuberose is rarely imported here.

I had to have them all.

I've strategically placed them on my bedside table next to an open window. It's breezy tonight.

A few buds have already started to bloom.
    Tuberose, like most white flowers are night blooming.

Captivating & intoxicating.

Surprisingly Tubereuse Criminelle comes to mind the most out of all those highly regarded tuberose soliflore perfumes.

I thought I'd be getting wafts of Carnal Flower or Beyond Love.

But no , it's this striking medicinal note.

Perhaps it's because they're not in full bloom or this certain genus of tuberose has this characteristic.

Let's begin the odyssey.

for swap/sale:

Default Re: Tuberose, an Odyssey

No tuberose to be found here now ... Sounds wonderful.

cacio

Blog Entries

How wonderful, hedonist! l have never seen real tuberose flowers anywhere, though l would dearly love to.

Do keep us posted with pics as the blooms, & the scent, unfold.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

They are uncommon here too - what a lovely gesture, hedonist - please update us!

I'm glad you're experiencing fresh tuberose--it is a scent that I find absolutely captivating in real life, but have not found a very good approximation of in perfume form. My grandmother grows patches of tuberose all around our house, and stepping outside in the early morning is a treat in itself.

queen of the universe

I've never smelt the real deal. As far as real flowers go, freesia is my all-time favorite. Intoxicating, buttery, not like any other flower I can think of. And, no, freesia notes in perfume smell nothing like it, which is OK. I find note-for-note reproduction to be less interesting than an abstraction of a flower.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Tuberose is very common here in Indonesia and they tend smell better at night when they bloom. Anyhow, when smelling those Tuberose, I immediately think of Fracas. The rich creamy smell is what i picked up immediately.

PS: I never really put my nose near the flower to smell as they are so strong smelling, you will catch their scent immediately when you pass by. Perhaps if i do, i might get a different scent than what i usually smell.

These tuberose are taken at a bathroom in a restaurant =P
    Last edited by andreas2x; 13th December 2013 at 02:24 AM.

Because they are night blooming, most of them had closed by morning and there was no scent emitting from them.

I woke up at night a couple of times for a drink of water and was completely enveloped in the scent.

I was bit intimidated and wanted to move them away from my bedside but because I like to go too far sometimes, I did not.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    No tuberose to be found here now ... Sounds wonderful.

cacio
    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    How wonderful, hedonist! l have never seen real tuberose flowers anywhere, though l would dearly love to.

Do keep us posted with pics as the blooms, & the scent, unfold.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    They are uncommon here too - what a lovely gesture, hedonist - please update us!
    Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    I've never smelt the real deal. As far as real flowers go, freesia is my all-time favorite. Intoxicating, buttery, not like any other flower I can think of. And, no, freesia notes in perfume smell nothing like it, which is OK. I find note-for-note reproduction to be less interesting than an abstraction of a flower.
    I'd have thought tuberose would grow well in the States and Europe where roses grow.
    Perhaps tuberose needs a humid climate.

Quote Originally Posted by sansastark View Post
    I'm glad you're experiencing fresh tuberose--it is a scent that I find absolutely captivating in real life, but have not found a very good approximation of in perfume form. My grandmother grows patches of tuberose all around our house, and stepping outside in the early morning is a treat in itself.
    I know exactly what you mean. We have jasmine and frangipani that blanket the air at night with thier scent.

Quote Originally Posted by andreas2x View Post
    Tuberose is very common here in Indonesia and they tend smell better at night when they bloom. Anyhow, when smelling those Tuberose, I immediately think of Fracas. The rich creamy smell is what i picked up immediately.

PS: I never really put my nose near the flower to smell as they are so strong smelling, you will catch their scent immediately when you pass by. Perhaps if i do, i might get a different scent than what i usually smell.

These tuberose are taken at a bathroom in a restaurant =P
    Glad you contributed here A!

Fracas huh?

That's what I initially thought I'd be interpreting from it too.

But either it's the type of genus or they haven't reached peak bloom or because I literally stuck my nose in the partially opened bud.

for swap/sale:

Tuberose is not a very difficult plant to grow. I was in horticulture for years and well stocked nurseries with a good selection of spring bulbs should carry them early in spring for planting. There are single flowered and double flowered types fairly commonly available. Plant in the spring in a sunny spot with good well drained soil and enjoy their entoxicating scent in the summer. Their scent will fill your yard.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I've had tuberose in bouquets a number of times and with the exception of one, which was almost scentless, they had all, more or less, had a medicinal edge. Well, they were largely floral-sweet, expansively so, but with an unmistakable, pungent medicinal waft. I also love ylang ylang for that reason.

I do think that Tubereuse Criminelle has the most spectacular opening of all the tuberose scents, fairly close to what you'd smell with your nose near the flowers (but exaggerated), such a pity the rest of the development of TC after that is so, well, bland.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Tuberose is not a very difficult plant to grow. I was in horticulture for years and well stocked nurseries with a good selection of spring bulbs should carry them early in spring for planting. There are single flowered and double flowered types fairly commonly available. Plant in the spring in a sunny spot with good well drained soil and enjoy their entoxicating scent in the summer. Their scent will fill your yard.
    lnteresting, Akahina. l was under the impression that they would only thrive in quite tropical climates. l'm not sure they would survive our winters, unless they were in a greenhouse?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Some midday photos:

for swap/sale:

Thanks for the horticulturist perspective Akahina!

Quote Originally Posted by chypre View Post
    I've had tuberose in bouquets a number of times and with the exception of one, which was almost scentless, they had all, more or less, had a medicinal edge. Well, they were largely floral-sweet, expansively so, but with an unmistakable, pungent medicinal waft. I also love ylang ylang for that reason.

I do think that Tubereuse Criminelle has the most spectacular opening of all the tuberose scents, fairly close to what you'd smell with your nose near the flowers (but exaggerated), such a pity the rest of the development of TC after that is so, well, bland.
    I think you're right.

At night the 'projection' from the bouquet was much less medicinal than when I poked my nose into a bud.

for swap/sale:

Thanks for sharing with us! I start fancying the idea of growing them in my garden in summer...?

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    lnteresting, Akahina. l was under the impression that they would only thrive in quite tropical climates. l'm not sure they would survive our winters, unless they were in a greenhouse?
    Tuberose are not terribly hardy. Bulbs should be about $1 each and are usually grown as an annual. At that price, a very cheap and nice smelling annual.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Oh this is a gorgeous thread! A treat for the eyes and the olfactory imagination. This is why I adore you Hedi. I want, I want, I want......

I did once ask a local florist here if she could get them and she told me that she could. Interestingly she told me that she had a few customers who ordered them regularly, exclusively local middle eastern (her term) gents who ordered them in advance for special occasions or treats for their wives. I must go back and order some at some point.

Do you know what I noticed looking at the photo's? The blossoms remind me of something. Is it that other very highly fragranced garden flower, the humble crocus? Or is it fressia? Its definately another wee powerhouse flower.

They are gorgeous hedonist. Enjoy them and keep posting your impressions.

Blog Entries

Foustie, l agree they do look a lot like freesias.

What a beautiful bouquet, hedonist. I've seen tuberose for sale by the stem at our farmer's market in summertime. The smell is rich and buttery to my nose.

They grow very well in pots, and when they're done blooming you can overwinter them indoors or even just toss them out ...as Akahina mentions, they're not very expensive and are usually treated as annuals. You can even force them indoors for luscious out-of-season fragrance, the same way people do with other bulbs such as paperwhite narcissus and hyacinths.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Walked into the room this evening to a delicate veil of tuberose in the air.

The smell of rose overpowered the tuberose.
    This rose species is about the looks not the smell.
    I'll put the roses in the foyer.

The roses this evening were much less medicinal but not voluptuous like Fracas.

I hope they radiate better tomorrow.

Picture from a few moments ago.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    What a beautiful bouquet, hedonist. I've seen tuberose for sale by the stem at our farmer's market in summertime. The smell is rich and buttery to my nose.
    Thank you dear.
    The florist insisted that rose bouquet color combination wasn't nice.
    I think it's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    They grow very well in pots, and when they're done blooming you can overwinter them indoors or even just toss them out ...as Akahina mentions, they're not very expensive and are usually treated as annuals. You can even force them indoors for luscious out-of-season fragrance, the same way people do with other bulbs such as paperwhite narcissus and hyacinths.
    Tuberose isn't too common here.
    Perhaps I should collect the seeds & plant them in the garden next year.

for swap/sale:

I am glad to know that tuberose does well in pots because even though I'm not much of a gardener I can usually manage to grow indoor plants.

queen of the universe

Tuberose are not terribly hardy. Bulbs should be about $1 each and are usually grown as an annual. At that price, a very cheap and nice smelling annual.
    This is a good read on a cold wet night that followed a monotone grey day. I think I will have to try planting some tuberose this spring.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!