Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1

    Default Best Designer Oud

    In your own opinion what do you think is the best designer oud?

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,863

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Leather Oud - Dior
    (1499)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    24 Gold

  4. #4

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    I'd have to say M7

  5. #5

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    I prefer M7 Oud Absolu

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Tom Ford Oud Wood

  8. #8
    Dependent Wit_Siamese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Posts
    1,728
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    M7 Vintage

    Leather Oud

    Oud Ispahan
    ***My favourite from my collection***

    -------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

  9. #9

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    I agree with everyone who's posted so far. All good choices (except O.I. but that's just me).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    +1 M7 (all versions)
    +1 Oud Ispahan

    Dirty English

    But the best: Armani Privé Oud Royal

  11. #11
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,863

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

    But the best: Armani Privé Oud Royal
    Because of you, I'm hooked on this one too!
    (1513)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Because of you, I'm hooked on this one too!
    (1513)
    lol! It is a pretty good one, isn't it? It doesn't get a lot of attention here, but I love it -- glad to hear you are liking it too!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I prefer M7 Oud Absolu
    +1 very good scent that lasts forever

    Although I haven't had the pleasure of sampling m7 vintage but I do have the reformulation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KCCO!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    +1 M7 (all versions)
    +1 Oud Ispahan

    But the best: Armani Privé Oud Royal
    Yep. Especially the Armani

  15. #15

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Dior's Leather Oud for me, too!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    I'd say Songe D'un Bois D'ete and Oud Wood, but I'm never sure how the TF private blends and Guerlain are classified.

    Leather Oud comes in third for me.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    lol! It is a pretty good one, isn't it? It doesn't get a lot of attention here, but I love it -- glad to hear you are liking it too!
    I'm glad the love affair still continues. I have moved this one to my top five wants for next year.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Ysl m7

  19. #19

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Zegna's Indonesian Oud is very aromatic and fresh - suites me perfectly.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    + 1

    Although, thread starter said designer: I don't know if he meant regular designer scents as I consider this TF PB Niche quality and beyond , done artistically with finest ingredient with exquisite blends...

    BAM...Nail it Tony T, sufficient to wear daily and make it a signature as is not hard to wear..Gorgeous tamed Bengal.... in contrast to M7 which was miles ahead of the Genre when released back in 02, and a loose Bengal amongst the populace in other words a beast that will scare most but tamed by few ring masters in other words connoisseurs or well develop olfactory....peace
    Last edited by magnus611; 13th December 2013 at 03:13 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

  21. #21

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    None.
    Even the niche renderings barely qualify.

    for swap/sale:





  22. #22

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    M7 Vintage

    Leather Oud

    Oud Ispahan
    This pretty much covers it! All 3 are amazing.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I'm glad the love affair still continues. I have moved this one to my top five wants for next year.
    I love most of the Armani Privé line, but this one is even more special than the others. Have you tried it yet, or it is on your "to try" list?

  24. #24

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I love most of the Armani Privé line, but this one is even more special than the others. Have you tried it yet, or it is on your "to try" list?
    No I haven't sampled it just yet. But I plan on it or maybe blind buy which I am famous to do and ask for some samples from them. Do you have a #2 or #3 that hits the mark from that line that is still available and not discontinued?

  25. #25

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    No I haven't sampled it just yet. But I plan on it or maybe blind buy which I am famous to do and ask for some samples from them. Do you have a #2 or #3 that hits the mark from that line that is still available and not discontinued?
    Many of these were not previously available in the US - until very recently. Neiman Marcus carries most of them (but sadly not the newest one yet or a few others). i would call or go to your nearest one and see if they have it.

    From the Privé line, I love these also:

    Rose d'Arabie (possibly my favorite rose scent. Linear and long lasting.)
    Cuir Noir (one of my favorite leathers - but not for those who like it harsh or dirty - this is a very subtle creamy version. Linear and long lasting.)
    Amber Orient (probably my favorite amber. Linear and long lasting.)
    Bois d'Encens (amazing scent, along the lines of Avignon... but more expensive and not quite as long lasting)
    Vetiver Babylone (if you like the bright sporty vetiver style)
    Figuier Eden - if you like fig scents, this is a must-try. I am not a huge fan of fig, but would consider adding this to my collection
    Cedre Olympe - Excellent fresh woodsy scent. I have a small sample from TPC, and have been trying to get a bottle of it for about a year and a half. I haven't seen it available in the US, and haven't found a way to get my hands on this...yet.

    Only one I don't really like it Ambre Soie - not my style at all. A little too harsh for my nose. But my wife liked it.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Surprised to see Leather Oud mentioned here. I happen to like it but it gets a lot of negative hype. Probably one to try before you buy.

  27. #27

  28. #28

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Many of these were not previously available in the US - until very recently. Neiman Marcus carries most of them (but sadly not the newest one yet or a few others). i would call or go to your nearest one and see if they have it.

    From the Privé line, I love these also:

    Rose d'Arabie (possibly my favorite rose scent. Linear and long lasting.)
    Cuir Noir (one of my favorite leathers - but not for those who like it harsh or dirty - this is a very subtle creamy version. Linear and long lasting.)
    Amber Orient (probably my favorite amber. Linear and long lasting.)
    Bois d'Encens (amazing scent, along the lines of Avignon... but more expensive and not quite as long lasting)
    Vetiver Babylone (if you like the bright sporty vetiver style)
    Figuier Eden - if you like fig scents, this is a must-try. I am not a huge fan of fig, but would consider adding this to my collection
    Cedre Olympe - Excellent fresh woodsy scent. I have a small sample from TPC, and have been trying to get a bottle of it for about a year and a half. I haven't seen it available in the US, and haven't found a way to get my hands on this...yet.

    Only one I don't really like it Ambre Soie - not my style at all. A little too harsh for my nose. But my wife liked it.
    Thank you very much. As always a very comprehensive list and I will definitely gleen your selections fully. Some very nice descriptive views.

  29. #29
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,863

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Many of these were not previously available in the US - until very recently. Neiman Marcus carries most of them (but sadly not the newest one yet or a few others).
    The "Prive Expert" at the 5th Avenue boutique in NYC told me yesterday that they will eventually be getting Myrrhe Imperiale but did not know when. She said the decision was made by Corporate to test market this first in Europe and then in the Middle East and Asia before bringing this one to the US shores. She was less optimistic about the Cedre Olympe making an appearance on this side of the Atlantic. The only way I was able to get these were through a business associate traveling between the two continents who did me a favor.
    (1595)
    Last edited by hednic; 14th December 2013 at 11:41 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Not "probably".... it's *definitely* try before you buy for LO. It's a hard one to like on first spray. I hated it when I first tried it, but now I appreciate the masterpiece it really is.
    Same here. I bought a decent sized decant, sprayed it once, and put it into storage for about 8 months thinking I would never use it. On a whim I gave it full wearing, and fell in love with it.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The "Prive Expert" at the 5th Avenue boutique in NYC told me yesterday that they will eventually be getting Myrrhe Imperiale but did not know when. She said the decision was made by Corporate to test market this first in Europe and then in the Middle East and Asia before bringing this one to the US shores. She was less optimistic about the Cedre Olympe making an appearance on this side of the Atlantic. The only way I was able to get these were through a business associate traveling between the two continents who did me a favor.
    (1595)
    Sad to hear about Cedre Olympie - I don't know why they wouldn't release that here - there isn't anything about it that wouldn't sit well with the US market.

    Regarding Myrrhe Imperiale - I just bought one on e-bay form a seller with 100% feedback - will probably be a while before I get it, but I saw it and just couldn't wait!

  32. #32
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,863

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

    Regarding Myrrhe Imperiale - I just bought one on e-bay form a seller with 100% feedback - will probably be a while before I get it, but I saw it and just couldn't wait!
    That's great. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's so well crafted IMO.

    (1644)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  33. #33
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    so-cal
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Best Designer Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    M7 (vintage) is very easy to wear. Leather Oud if you can handle the first few hours of 'skank' (drydown is marvelous!).
    This , to the letter. Love them both!
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Similar Threads

  1. from designer to niche back to designer
    By Basteri in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th December 2008, 03:36 PM
  2. Designer Scents vs Designer Fashion
    By manicboy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th May 2006, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •