Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default I feel like Borneo 1834 is not getting the praise it deserves on here..

Easily the best Serge Lutens for me. Love the cocoa and patchouli mix. Lasts pretty long and projects very well.
    Even if I dont wear it everyday, I almost have to hold the bottle and take a sniff from it on a daily basis. Anyone else a big fan?

Default Re: I feel like Borneo 1834 is not getting the praise it deserves on here..

It's gotten more than plenty of scents that have gotten none or almost none and are very good !

Default Re: I feel like Borneo 1834 is not getting the praise it deserves on here..

This and Coromandel changed my opinion on patchouli. Great scent!

Still really want to try this. Sounds wonderful, but it isn't one of the Lutens available here in Japan.

High quality, but I don't want to walk around smelling like a bitter dark chocolate..

It's a wonderful scent but it took me some time before i got used to it.
    (1517)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Sure it does. Its always getting praise whenever it's genre is discussed.

It's just been a while since it's been is cussed though.

That said, it's very very nice.

Such stellar composition. Craftsmanship in complexity and balance of notes and accords.

I'd like to add that Coromandel is the perfect complimentary perfume.

Borneo 1834 for the day and Coromandel for the night.

for swap/sale:

Love it and have a stash of 3 bottles

I like it but when it comes to both Lutens and patchouli-centered fragrances, there are other fragrances that are more to my tastes...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned
    Blog Entries

Since it has been compared to Coromandel
    And I have LIDGE which is the same as Coromandel IMO..
    Is 1834 worth sampling?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Since it has been compared to Coromandel
    And I have LIDGE which is the same as Coromandel IMO..
    Is 1834 worth sampling?
    its worth dying for lol

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    its worth dying for lol
    Very good to know as I adore LIDGE and didn't want to replicate to much with a like scent. Serge Lutens have many scents that I admire. Will this one be available in the smaller bottle anytime soon I wonder?
    Last edited by TNBLUEMIKE; 13th December 2013 at 02:48 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Very good to know as I adore LIDGE and didn't want to replicate to much with like scent. Serge Lutens have many scents that I admire. Will this one be available in the smaller bottle anytime soon I wonder?
    I only see 75ml bottles on the Serge lutens website. and not sure if they will sell the 50ml bottles again.
    its extremely hard to find in 50ml bottles

I only see 75ml bottles on the Serge lutens website. and not sure if they will sell the 50ml bottles again.
    its extremely hard to find in 50ml bottles
    Thamks for the information. Your description is certainly compelling.

Basenotes Plus

Nice coincidence - I have samples of Coramandel and Borneo coming. I started picking up and appreciating patchouli recently in Giorgio, Lapidus, and Rive Guache. I'm looking forward to exploring it more..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coromandel is too smooth and creamy for me. I like patch that's on the dirty side.
    Bornéo has enough of that to suit, and mixed with the cocoa and camphor, it's sublime.

Still looking for a good dirty patch fragrance, or maybe just wearing the oil works best.
    Floracopeia sells an aged version of patchouli which is about as good as it gets for pure patch.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

Jean Klein

I love it too, particularly in warm weather. Love Coromandel too!

I mostly prefer to wear Coromandel. I have both, and the Borneo is a dryer, less sweet version.

The Borneo lasts well as it's an EDP.

On can also try Zino Davidoff for a similar effect. It has a bit of a fougere feel but a lot of patchouli. JMHO.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    Coromandel is too smooth and creamy for me. I like patch that's on the dirty side.
    Bornéo has enough of that to suit, and mixed with the cocoa and camphor, it's sublime.

Still looking for a good dirty patch fragrance, or maybe just wearing the oil works best.
    Floracopeia sells an aged version of patchouli which is about as good as it gets for pure patch.
    Try Patchouli 24 by Le Labo. A very strong and powerful patch. No sweetness here, and a very rugged leather, too boot.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I honestly can hardly find any patchouli in Patchouli 24. I love it, it's one of my favorites, but I describe it as birch tar and vanilla.

I like Borneo 1834, especially the patchouli component, but the cocoa, while very good, is not how I usually want to smell. I admire it rather than wear it.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

OP, you are partially right.
    This is an acquired taste for sure.
    It is how niche should be, not a linear general mass pleasing,
    it is for the discerning and the divine

How prominent is the patchouli in this one?

I like patchouli when it's blended into fragrances as part of a woods foundation, but when it reaches the "Hey...somebody's wearing patchouli" level I stop liking it. I was with a real estate agent on Thursday, she must have been wearing patchouli oil or something, and I couldn't stand it. There's also some hippie-type of lady I work with and everything she wears features a prominent patchouli note. She has an obnoxious personality and she always carries a patchouli cloud around with her.

Basically, I don't like it when it's so obvious. Take Angel Woman, for example. I find the patch really annoying.

How's it come off in 1834?

Bornéo 1834 is a very nice one, indeed. It's among my favorite patchoulis, along with Coromandel, Dior's Patchouli Impérial, and the two outstanding Mazzolaris, Lui and Patchouli.

Basenotes Plus

I'm interested and will be checking this out soon. As for praise, whenever something is highly praised on here, the unfair criticism comes right after..

It probably gets very little attention because it's unavailable in the shops. Never seen it in the UK.

Banned

why the heck would they stop manufacturing this in 50ml bottle?

It's part of the Paris exclusives but was released in limited production to the export range. A Serge tradition until they launched the concise cordon on Barney's NYC.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It's part of the Paris exclusives but was released in limited production to the export range. A Serge tradition until they launched the concise cordon on Barney's NYC.
    hedonist, it was wonderful for those in the U.S. to buy the cloche bottles. At long last, I was able to buy a bottle of the wonderful jasmine/leather Sarrasins!

I also adore Coromandel and Borneo 1834, and also Montale Patchouli Leaves and EdP Patchouli Noir.
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th January 2014 at 06:37 AM.

shucks, I just got outbid on a partial 50ml bottle of this on eBay... alright, which one of you was it!
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

OK, finally ordered a sample. Should be waiting for me when I get back from holidays.

It's been sitting under my nose for a long time, as the store I frequent carries all the export line. I remember trying it on paper and liking the opening a lot.

I need to give it a full test soon then!
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 6th January 2014 at 06:49 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I did not like the dry bitterness of this at first and gave up a chance to purchase a bottle. I LOVE it so much now and it is hardly available any more! So warm and smooth and great longevity! The dry down is to die for!

I get a little of this from Patchouli Patch but this stuff is so diluted you can barely smell it minutes after. What is up with L'Artisan fragrances and terribly poor longevity?

One of my favorites from this house. Arabie is very nice, also.

Basenotes Institution

I love Borneo 1834 and yet Coromandel just annoys me, I can't seem to enjoy it.

Like someone above said, the Lutens changed my thoughts on patchouli scents. I never found one I liked, until I tried this one. I miss my bottle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

How do you feel about Coze Mike? Compared to Borneo 1834?

for swap/sale:

How do you feel about Coze Mike? Compared to Borneo 1834?
    Sorry to interject, but I think Coze is more like Musc Ravageur than Borneo 1834.

As for B1834, I think I've decided it is my favorite niche scent at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by RS2AM View Post
    Sorry to interject, but I think Coze is more like Musc Ravageur than Borneo 1834.

As for B1834, I think I've decided it is my favorite niche scent at this point.
    Welcome to basenotes RS2AM.

I can see how you would say that. Coze does have an animalic effect thats similar the one (albeit very subtle) in MR.

But I was contrasting Coze with B1834 because of the shared patchouli note. Not very leafy , more dank & musky patchouli effect.

for swap/sale:

I love it and there's plenty of other scents that do not get the credit they deserve (and on the contrary, lots that get over-hyped).

However despite I love it I must say I find it not well-balanced, as the first part (the splendid chocolate-patchouli-earth accord) vanishes quite quickly - almost suddendly. A "fall" more than an evolution... afterwards it's still great, it's just that overal I don't find it consistent.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

I wanted to like this so much... but i didn't.

I love Borneo, I find it very appealing but not very versatile...so... do you know something similar but more enjoyable for summer/heat days (maybe lighter? maybe less "camphorous"?

I love it too. The first time I wore it two people said I smelled like freshly baked cookies

Serge Lutens seem to have a marketing plan which limits certain fragrances to an "exclusive" range.
    I assume they try to create desire by artificially manipulating supply?
    Personally, I do not like this policy.
    I had plans to purchase Borneo 1834 and Vetiver Oriental, but when I finally got around to it, they were removed from the export range.
    Did this make me begin a quest to purchase their products?
    No, it did not.
    Instead, I tested and purchased other non-Lutens fragrances.
    Perhaps their policy is clever marketing and works on general consumers, but they lost two purchases from me.

The moss spoiled this for me. Dried down into a mossy amber for me.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Serge Lutens seem to have a marketing plan which limits certain fragrances to an "exclusive" range.
    I assume they try to create desire by artificially manipulating supply?
    Personally, I do not like this policy.
    I had plans to purchase Borneo 1834 and Vetiver Oriental, but when I finally got around to it, they were removed from the export range.
    Did this make me begin a quest to purchase their products?
    No, it did not.
    Instead, I tested and purchased other non-Lutens fragrances.
    Perhaps their policy is clever marketing and works on general consumers, but they lost two purchases from me.
    This! It stopped me dead in my tracks limiting my interest in the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    I love Borneo, I find it very appealing but not very versatile...so... do you know something similar but more enjoyable for summer/heat days (maybe lighter? maybe less "camphorous"?
    Coromandel. Much more polished version of b1834.

for swap/sale:

Publis Service Announcement.

Christopher Sheldrake has done magic with patchouli in both Coromandel & Borneo 1834.

If you are a fan of these check out Mathilde Laurent's take on cacao and patchouli in L'Heure Defendue.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 6th April 2014 at 08:57 AM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Coromandel. Much more polished version of b1834.
    I actually find 1834 good for warmer weather because it doesn't have the rich sweetness of Coromandel. It's a bit drier and holds up well in the heat, at least to my nose.

Great oriental. Size and shape-wise it actually has a lot in common with Shalimar edp. Coromandel is excellent but far too radiant. Can't take more than a few minutes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I actually find 1834 good for warmer weather because it doesn't have the rich sweetness of Coromandel. It's a bit drier and holds up well in the heat, at least to my nose.
    Interesting.

Maybe the camphor adds some coolness as well.

for swap/sale:

Maybe the camphor adds some coolness as well.
    That's a good point.

Meanwhile, this morning I tried a spritz of Horizon by Oriza L Legrand from my box of mostly neglected samples. Lovers of Borneo 1834 might like to try this one as well. It's really a lovely, dry patchouli, with the dark chocolate note and everything. Also a bit of leather, honey, and something boozy, but it never gets cloying. I love Coromandel but it can feel overwhelmingly sweet sometimes.

I liked it at first because I love patchouli, but couldn't wear it after a while. When other people smell it on me they like it - I couldn't stand all day of that combination. Have you tried Zegna Essenze Javanese Patchouli? A wonderful patchouli fragrance!

Basenotes Plus

Gah, I had a whole long post here and I deleted it by mistake. Anyway, hope it's not to late to chime in on this thread. Borneo was my first niche purchase, and while I loved it back then, I have only ever worn it once or twice. The problem I have is not with the scent, which I love and appreciate, but its lack of versatility (for me). It comes off as too stifling in the heat we get here, and I have attracted some comments while wearing it to business meetings (so I stopped). I have only used it when I knew I would be in the office doing reports, and on a cool, overcast day or two.

So, I have almost a whole 50ml bottle standing forlornly in my wardrobe waiting for me to take it for a ride. I recently got a sample of Coromandel, and wouldn't you know, I bloody love it. But I can't afford to buy a full bottle of Coromandel and I am not sure if I can save another space in my fragrance wardrobe for another patch-centric fragrance, so I just have to live with my decision. Maybe I will put the bottle up for swap (not on BN as I understand I am not eligible for posting on the swap board here, but somewhere else), and just hope that someone will give me some Coromandel in return. Well, I can live and hope, can't I!

Basenotes Institution

Interesting Claire. I never had a whole bottle of this scent but I did have a decant and I went thru it fast. Although I will admit, it's more winter-friendly for me.

It is, and has always been, my very favorite patchouli scent.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I did enjoy this one, with its definite similarities to A*Men. I dunno though.. maybe it's my taste, or just where I live in the humidity.. maybe the fact that I don't really care for patchouli. I have a small 1 oz bottle of A*Men, that rarely gets worn, I would feel the same with this, and likely not wear it. It does smell great though.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I dislike patch, but the Lutens and Coromandel are beautiful, cool weather scents. Give them a fair shake!

Coromandel and Borneo 1834...

As well as being composed by the same perfumer, and possessing a similar olfactory premise, the foundation of both is also heavily reliant on one crucial component - patchouli absolute from India (and not from Indonesia).

Experience this material for yourself and your praise may not be as glowing as it once was.
    Last edited by Trebor; 13th April 2014 at 11:53 PM.

It's always going to be a matter of taste, but I have quite a few Lutens, and this one has to be my favorite. It's still made and sold in Europe, but no longer available in the States, and when it finally returns it will probably be reformulated.

But yeah, if you like the way Lutens puts things together, this one's a winner.

Just ordered a sample of Borneo: patchouli, cocoa, camphor.... sounds wonderful. Also, this is my very first sampling of anything by Serge Lutens, along with Boxeusus. Can't wait!
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 22nd July 2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like