Code of Conduct

Default What's your opinion on Le Labo Santal 33

Is it a good fragrance if you're hanging out with a girl?

Default Re: What's your opinion on Le Labo Santal 33

My GF's impression was, "weird, but I like it". I feel the same. It's unique. I get a strange dill note from it, and not a whole lot of sandalwood. Smells like more of a leather frag to me. Le Labo seems to have a habit of misnaming their fragrances, but perhaps I'm not familiar with the type of sandalwood used in this one.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 13th December 2013 at 03:36 AM.

I like this one a lot, it's my SOTD in fact. It's well blended and the specific notes are hard to decipher for me. It is always very sharply wood, either Sandalwood or cedar. I get a bit of peppermint, though it's not listed in the "official" notes. One of the main notes is apparently papyrus, which could be what I am interpreting as peppermint. It's a projection and longevity bomb. I've never smelled anything quite like it, especially any sandalwood fragrance.

This is actually one of my wife's favorites. But go light on the trigger.
    Last edited by Jridgen; 13th December 2013 at 04:35 AM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Blog Entries

My wife and I were smelling it together, and she liked it. But she was relieved when I settled on Coco Noir, because were were buying fragrances for each other, and Santal 33 is not cheap - even compared to Chanel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    I like this one a lot, it's my SOTD in fact. It's well blended and the specific notes are hard to decipher for me. It is always very sharply wood, either Sandalwood or cedar. I get a bit of peppermint, though it's not listed in the "official" notes. One of the main notes is apparently papyrus, which could be what I am interpreting as peppermint. It's a projection and longevity bomb. I've never smelled anything quite like it, especially any sandalwood fragrance.

This is actually one of my wife's favorites. But go light on the trigger.
    Yep, it's a nice scent, and very hard to pin down. I'm a fan of Aramis, Kouros, and the like, but I haven't come across one that can overwhelm like Santal 33. Even the two aforementioned "power" frags calm down after a while. S33 projects for hours and hours, in pretty linear fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    My GF's impression was, "weird, but I like it". I feel the same. It's unique. I get a strange dill note from it, and not a whole lot of sandalwood. Smells like more of a leather frag to me. Le Labo seems to have a habit of misnaming their fragrances, but perhaps I'm not familiar with the type of sandalwood used in this one.
    I got weird, but something about it turns me off. definitely agree that I don't get much sandalwood. Maybe it was that dill note that I found a bit stomach turning. It didn't give me the impression of being the sort of scent that people refer to when discussing scents that are popular with the opposite sex, so I'm not sure I'd describe it as a safe scent in that regard.

Never got the infamous "dill note" that some folks tend to get; but it's a keeper in my wardrobe. Gotten plenty of compliments, but as stated earlier in the thread, go light on the trigger.

Worth sampling if you've not before purchasing... that's how I got introduced to it.

On my skin , I get violet and papyrus bomb which I do not impressed both notes much.

I've only tried it once and personally didn't care very much for it
    (1518)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I got a papyrus note too and very little sandalwood. I wouldn't say it's anything bad, but certainly not one that I would go beyond sniffing in store.

Basenotes Plus

Women like this fragrance a lot. It's very floral and spicy it's in the same area as santal blush with its use of Australian sandalwood. It's a little femme, but it smells pretty good

I never think about my fragrance in relation to hanging out with someone. With that said, Santal 33 and Patchouli 24 are by far my favorite LeLabos.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

One of the best releases of its year.
    Read up on it.

It's very good.

for swap/sale:

I really liked this one but not so much for the sandalwood itself which, I agree, is not as obvious as say Villoresi 'Sandalo'. It brought back very distinct memories of holidays in Spain with my parents when I was young and the smell of souvenir shops where they sold lots of wooden items often teamed with leather. Its one of the few fragrances so far to have triggered such specific memories for me and for that reason alone its on my Wish List.

Admittedly, that doesn't help with the 'hanging out with girls' question but I think its a great scent.

Initially I didn't like the coconut twist to the sandalwood, but the deep woodiness of the blend is persistent. It turns out that "coconut" is short lived and Santal 33 has great sillage and is very noticeable by others. I don't know if its papyrus, gaiac or what but I like the warm deep glow of it. An often complimented fragrance when I wear it. It is one of my favorites from Le Labo (Cuir, Rose, Vetiver, Santal, Gaiac, Patchouli) and I am happy to have a bottle!

I think its terrific, but it is misnamed and unique, so sample before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I think its terrific, but it is misnamed and unique, so sample before you buy.
    It's called Santal not Mysore.
    Why is it misnamed?

for swap/sale:

Because sandalwood is not the dominant note

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Because sandalwood is not the dominant note
    Sure it is.
    It's just not mysore sandalwood.

It's some newfangled sandalwood but sandalwood nonetheless.

for swap/sale:

I think it's great stuff. My wife thinks it smells like an outdoor music festival...not sure what that means

I happen to like the Santal. Very woody. I have the perfume oil, which lasts a long time.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.