Code of Conduct

Thread: Myth ??

Default Myth ??

I have heard more than once that the sign of a good fragrance is when you can't smell it on yourself ! Any truth in this?
    Last edited by aim; 13th December 2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Just found another thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Myth ??

Quote Originally Posted by aim View Post
    I have heard more than once that the sign of a good fragrance is when you can't smell it on yourself ! Any truth in this?
    First of all, welcome to Basenotes!

There is SOME truth to it, but it's more complicated than that.

Some people who are new to fragrance are not aware of what is called "olfactory fatigue", which basically means you stop smelling something. The people may keep applying fragrance to themselves because they can't smell it, but the entire office can. So one has to be very careful about this.

Also, if you apply too close to your head / nose, then olfactory fatigue is greater, and you may not smell a fragrance on yourself during the entire day. But put it on your wrists, your belly, your legs, or your ankles, and you will likely get whiffs all day, because your nose won't get fatigued, and the occasional wisps of fragrance will activate your olfactory receptors and perception, which are not fatigued.

There are also many fragrances that are good, but fatiguing, and they lead to this idea. But there are also very good fragrances that are not very fatiguing, so I think it's mostly a myth, IMO.

Blog Entries

Sorry, but l think this is absolute tosh. Why on earth would we all be spending so much time & money on something we can't smell?

Red of course makes a valid point, but this has nothing to do with whether it's a "good" fragrance or not. What's "good" really depends on your own personal taste, & whether *you* enjoy wearing it or sniffing it.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Generally, I'd say my best (favorite) fragrances are the ones I CAN smell on myself...and for an extended period of time. That doesn't mean they are too strong or that I sprayed too much, it means the fragrance is doing what I want it to do and what I feel good fragrances are supposed to do.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 13th December 2013 at 10:20 AM.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!

Oh dear not this old chestnut which seems to spring up on certain beauty boards. Usually from people who really don't like perfume on anyone.

So aim, you go out and pay money for a perfume(which is all about smell), but you cannot smell it yourself.

Therefore what is the point of buying and wearing it? Logic you pay money for something you want to see it or ,wear it or smell it.

Its like you buy a brand new latest model car, but people tell you not to drive it as really you are not suppose to be seen in it.
    DONNA

This is so true. I usually spray over my shoulders and above my head thus ensuring none of it is actually on me.

Basenotes Plus

1. Welcome to Basenotes.
    2. That has NOTHING to do with a sign of a good fragrance.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Terrible advice..
    after some time during the day-sometimes you can't smell some frag's but get compliments..
    You think it's gone and somebody compliments you but that has nothing to do with it being good

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!

Oh dear not this old chestnut which seems to spring up on certain beauty boards. Usually from people who really don't like perfume on anyone.

So aim, you go out and pay money for a perfume(which is all about smell), but you cannot smell it yourself.

Therefore what is the point of buying and wearing it? Logic you pay money for something you want to see it or ,wear it or smell it.

Its like you buy a brand new latest model car, but people tell you not to drive it as really you are not suppose to be seen in it.
    lol - good analogy...

Think about it for a minute then answer your own question.

for swap/sale:

Yeah, if you don't have a nose to begin with or heavy dose of influenza , then I would agree...with this de bunk Myth...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Oh yes, it's very true. Best scent ever:

I get compliments all the time from my imaginary friends. And I never get called "cologne guy".

Blog Entries

Oh Brother! Why bother then? I have over 230 perfumes in my collection. If I couldn't detect them on myself while wearing I'd give them away or sell them, pronto. Whoever started this rumor was probably referring to those who over-apply due to insecurity that they aren't projecting. Just don't do that. You want to encourage people to lean in to get a better whiff, not run and try to grab a breath of fresh air. Remember, others will also be wearing fumes and you don't want to clash.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Oh Brother! Why bother then? I have over 230 perfumes in my collection. If I couldn't detect them on myself while wearing I'd give them away or sell them, pronto. Whoever started this rumor was probably referring to those who over-apply due to insecurity that they aren't projecting. Just don't do that. You want to encourage people to lean in to get a better whiff, not run and try to grab a breath of fresh air. Remember, others will also be wearing fumes and you don't want to clash.
    Good post. I had a grin on my face when I read the last couple of sentences does anyone remember the old Hai Karate TV advertisements. It brought me back to those.

I'm with teardrop on this one.

BTW where id you hear this nonsense? Never heard it myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    This is so true. I usually spray over my shoulders and above my head thus ensuring none of it is actually on me.
    LOL! The "mist and run away" method!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Oh Brother! Why bother then?
    Exactly!
    (1545)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

I have heard more than a few times from people that if you can smell your cologne on yourself, then you are probably wearing too much. But have never heard this connection between quality and not being able to smell it.

Myth!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    First of all, welcome to Basenotes!

There is SOME truth to it, but it's more complicated than that.

Some people who are new to fragrance are not aware of what is called "olfactory fatigue", which basically means you stop smelling something. The people may keep applying fragrance to themselves because they can't smell it, but the entire office can. So one has to be very careful about this.

Also, if you apply too close to your head / nose, then olfactory fatigue is greater, and you may not smell a fragrance on yourself during the entire day. But put it on your wrists, your belly, your legs, or your ankles, and you will likely get whiffs all day, because your nose won't get fatigued, and the occasional wisps of fragrance will activate your olfactory receptors and perception, which are not fatigued.

There are also many fragrances that are good, but fatiguing, and they lead to this idea. But there are also very good fragrances that are not very fatiguing, so I think it's mostly a myth, IMO.
    The crooks of your elbows and/or knees may also work well - even better than the wrists/ankles.

Basenotes Plus

the nose tends to stop picking up on a scent if it feels like its not threatening. so after a while you won't be able to smell a fragrance on yourself but that doesn't mean its gone. projection also has a lot to do with this. some fragrances project like crazy therefore you catch a lot of whiffs of it throughout the day, whereas some fragrances don't have tat kind of projection. the fragrance is still there, don't worry

Blog Entries

If I ever need to check, I just hold my wrist up to my nose. Still nothing? Ask your closest companion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olfactory fatigue is, in my opinion, highly subjective and individual and may kick in, differently from person to person, irrespective of the quality, longevity, projection etc. of the fragrance or its notes.

Olfactory fatique is real.Case in point, was wearing the infamous Aventas (one spray to the neck).. Got a compliment 4 hours in and didn't even smell it myself

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III via Tapatalk
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

I've personally never experienced it while on myself. I've definitely felt it when sampling in a store and scents start to overlap.

Blog Entries

The question the OP asked is not whether olfactory fatigue exists, but whether not being able to smell your own fragrance is a sign that it's a "good" fragrance. lt seems this thread has gone way off topic.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quite agree, teardrop - and going for 'myth' on this one, albeit one that's new to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Olfactory fatigue is, in my opinion, highly subjective and individual and may kick in, differently from person to person, irrespective of the quality, longevity, projection etc. of the fragrance or its notes.
    I happy to believe this is true also.
    (1625)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

People who wear only a few or one fragrance over time tends to develop immunity to a certain scent, like a smoker who cant tell that somebody is smoking a bit away from them, or people who work in less favourable scented places and block it out. tendency is to use more and more to ''keep up''.
    Dont understand how it could be a good thing though..

Honestly this sounds a lot like "The Emperor With No Clothes" story.

(Note: A story where a king is naked, and his advisors insist that he is wearing a special kind of clothing that only intelligent people can see)

Thanks for your replies guys, very informative Olfactory fatique, never heard of this, but have often wondered why I cant smell anything after a couple of hour out, then can smell what I had on, on my shirt the following morning!!

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    The question the OP asked is not whether olfactory fatigue exists, but whether not being able to smell your own fragrance is a sign that it's a "good" fragrance. lt seems this thread has gone way off topic.
    This is what happens when ppl join in on the conversation without reading the original post. This seems to happen alot around here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    This is what happens when ppl join in on the conversation without reading the original post. This seems to happen alot around here.
    Too true, timmy-j! A constant source of irritation, indeed.

I guess that if true, the best fragrance on the planet is 4711 - as few people can detect it after five minutes of its being applied. Instead, people have found other uses for it, like cleaning eyeglasses or mirrors.
    Regards,
    Renato